Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

With 2K Sports announcing a new blocking system in NBA 2K14 earlier today, the 2K Team-Up guys were given the green light to give more details on it, based off of what they played at the 2K Team-Up event they attended last Friday.

Obviously, the videos show NBA 2K13 gameplay, but each person gives their own unique take on the blocking system.


Here is a video from QJBeat.


Here is a video from @ShakeDown2012.


Here is a video from @Shake4ndBake.


Here is a video from @YMDgento.


Here is a video from @SubTheGamer.


Here is a video from @IpodKingCarter.


Here is a video from @Chris_Smoove (Not a member of the 2K Team-Up this year, but offers his thoughts)

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 97 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JerzeyReign @ 08/06/13 02:24 PM
You're too fast with this - I'm going to start calling you Super Steve haha.

Hopefully they are dropping more than just blocked dunks today though. Maybe they have some more defensive improvements.
 
# 2 xRobertitox @ 08/06/13 02:35 PM
I wouldn't want anyone that plays the way he does having any input in the game.

*Judging solely by the video above, haven't seen any other.*

But the announcement is good. Have very fond memories of blocking many dunks in 2K9
 
# 3 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/06/13 03:12 PM
Team up guys: If you do not block the dunk on a block attempt, would you impede the momentum of the dunker or alter his dunk into a layup, or will he still mow through you 2k13-style if you fail to block the dunk? Its nice that dunk blocking is back(and never should have left), but is there any consequence from defending a dunk other than blocking?
 
# 4 MakePlaysOrDie @ 08/06/13 03:22 PM
Hopefully this gets rid of the unstoppable spin dunk in the paint.
 
# 5 Steve_OS @ 08/06/13 03:49 PM
Updated OP w/ more videos from 2K Team-Up guys.
 
# 6 lockdownD @ 08/06/13 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava Medvadenko
Team up guys: If you do not block the dunk on a block attempt, would you impede the momentum of the dunker or alter his dunk into a layup, or will he still mow through you 2k13-style if you fail to block the dunk? Its nice that dunk blocking is back(and never should have left), but is there any consequence from defending a dunk other than blocking?
That's what I would be interested in knowing as well. I'm curious what kind of various contact/collision animations mid-air on dunk attempts there are if there isn't a block. In 2k13, I didn't have a huge problem not being able to block dunks, rather I had a huge problem with defensive positioning not being respected and getting slid or moved out of the way on dunks and other combo moves and not having proper contact/collision animations.
 
# 7 Vni @ 08/06/13 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava Medvadenko
Team up guys: If you do not block the dunk on a block attempt, would you impede the momentum of the dunker or alter his dunk into a layup, or will he still mow through you 2k13-style if you fail to block the dunk? Its nice that dunk blocking is back(and never should have left), but is there any consequence from defending a dunk other than blocking?
This is the time of the year when everything is fixed. Game is flawless at this point. Only time will tell. Really.
 
# 8 Eman5805 @ 08/06/13 04:16 PM
Wait. So they were playing the next gen version too?
 
# 9 EarvGotti @ 08/06/13 04:21 PM
Lol at this. Just so you new guys know, we were able to block dunks in 2k9-2k11 so don't mind this fluff by 2K acting like this is a totally new feature. They take things out then put them back in to try to pass it off as "new".

You can't BS me 2k.
 
# 10 Eman5805 @ 08/06/13 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Lol at this. Just so you new guys know, we were able to block dunks in 2k9-2k11 so don't mind this fluff by 2K acting like this is a totally new feature. They take things out then put them back in to try to pass it off as "new".

You can't BS me 2k.
Yeah, nothing gets by you...
 
# 11 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/06/13 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdownD
That's what I would be interested in knowing as well. I'm curious what kind of various contact/collision animations mid-air on dunk attempts there are if there isn't a block. In 2k13, I didn't have a huge problem not being able to block dunks, rather I had a huge problem with defensive positioning not being respected and getting slid or moved out of the way on dunks and other combo moves and not having proper contact/collision animations.
Exactly. If defenders are still being slid out of the way then its all or nothing; get the block or get dunked on. I'd like to know if contact will affect a dunk if the defender doesn't get the block.
 
# 12 Sundown @ 08/06/13 04:46 PM
Bleh. Team-Up only having Youtube stars and only allowing them to release specific info on specific days, with them overhyping each item makes them all sound like shills.

Block dunks being the biggest feature in 2K in a long time? Really? Something that only happens once every few games in real life?

I don't need six guys saying "block dunks are cool". These are like Amway Multilevel Marketing videos.

At least last year we got a raw impression from each of them and a lot of info at once.

I'm glad for the improved block engine though.
 
# 13 LD2k @ 08/06/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
At least last year we got a raw impression from each of them and a lot of info at once.

I'm glad for the improved block engine though.
They will be talking about all their thoughts on gameplay in the near future - and they will tell you their raw impressions.
 
# 14 kjjnesb @ 08/06/13 04:58 PM
Not to be negative but one of my main concerns is this being overpowered.
 
# 15 QJBridges @ 08/06/13 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava Medvadenko
Team up guys: If you do not block the dunk on a block attempt, would you impede the momentum of the dunker or alter his dunk into a layup, or will he still mow through you 2k13-style if you fail to block the dunk? Its nice that dunk blocking is back(and never should have left), but is there any consequence from defending a dunk other than blocking?
There is definitely more contact when attempting blocks. With the ability to block dunks now, I feel as if users will have to play a lot smarter when it comes to shot selection.
 
# 16 LD2k @ 08/06/13 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnesb
Not to be negative but one of my main concerns is this being overpowered.
Balance was the main focus - it's a fair concern, but as the fellas explained in their thoughts in their recent videos, it's not something that is overpowered.
 
# 17 OhioBobcats @ 08/06/13 05:03 PM
So this is really what it is coming down to?

I'm so glad 2K finally lifted the ban for these guys to all make long videos of them playing 2K13 so they can talk about a feature in 2K14. What a waste of bandwidth.
 
# 18 Vni @ 08/06/13 05:05 PM
Theses videos...

Damn.
 
# 19 thedream2k13 @ 08/06/13 05:07 PM
hopefully this means the removal of Left Trigger blocking!!!!! leave it to the users skill to successfully block dunks not some CPU shot contest from holding a trigger
 
# 20 KB2009Champ @ 08/06/13 05:09 PM
I got through 75% of the first one.

I'm done.

I'll wait for their overall impression of the game.
 

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.