Home
News Post



Player intelligence. Living worlds. True player motion.

We've heard about it and saw several of the games in action already with EA Sports Next-Gen plan: EA Sports Ignite. The engine's focus is to develop several core elements of sports games in one central location while development teams for individual games focus on more pressing matters, which in theory should open up each game to be a better overall representation of their sport.

This is indeed a grand experiment, but it is also an intriguing one. We are asking you today: Do you think the Ignite Engine will be good or bad for sports games?

Sound off by voting in our poll to your right on the frontpage and above you in the forums.

Member Comments
# 1 Only1LT @ 06/20/13 12:18 PM
Too early to tell, but from what I've seen of Madden next gen in live demos, it isn't doing much at the moment...
 
# 2 Sigma4Life @ 06/20/13 12:27 PM
I think it's a great engineering decision because it allows each team to not recreate the wheel with regards to the basic rules of physics and human movement. Instead of the Madden team devoting many dev hours recreating foot plan technology, the Ignite engine can provide them with a template of how a person plants and turns. Then the Madden team can spend a fraction of their time perfecting the way NFL athletes cut on grass, on turf, at 300 lbs, at 200 lbs, etc. It would all easily be derived from the default Ignite version.

The ignite engine takes care of all the basics of human movement and interaction so the sports development studios can focus on domain specific problems for their games.
 
# 3 mestevo @ 06/20/13 12:38 PM
A concise effort around specific principles across sports games, I'll take it as good. I'd rather have their eggs/investment in one basket rather than a buch of disperate efforts resulting in inconsistent experiences not learning a whole lot from one another.
 
# 4 NightmareBooster @ 06/20/13 12:49 PM
I think it's too early to tell.You can't judge the engine based solely on what EA has chosen to show and talk about so far because that's not the whole story. We'll find out for sure once the public gets in some extended play time.
 
# 5 Fatalah @ 06/20/13 01:07 PM
If it increases the chance of MVP Baseball's return, then I'm all for the Ignite Engine.
 
# 6 misterkrabz @ 06/20/13 01:38 PM
I haven't really seen a significant difference. EA Sports games have played the same since the went to "next gen".
 
# 7 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/20/13 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
It's the same.

Ignite is just a sales gimmick.
No, it is an engine. Totally different than a "gimmick"
 
# 8 RedPhazon8 @ 06/20/13 02:02 PM
I don't really know, but I won't know anytime soon since it's not coming to PC versions this year for whatever reason.
 
# 9 ccoaxum @ 06/20/13 02:10 PM
well they haven't really shown us anything yet, they said alot but haven't shown anything, with that being said this engine cannot be judge yet but if it does do what they say it will this would not be good for sports it will be great for sports!
 
# 10 TreyIM2 @ 06/20/13 03:03 PM
On paper, this all sounds great and if it comes together like we all hope, this will be INCREDIBLE for gaming, without a doubt.
 
# 11 jmaj315 @ 06/20/13 03:03 PM
From the NCAA demo.. so far so good, better than last year for sure
 
# 12 ratedmoney @ 06/20/13 04:01 PM
Impossible to know before we yet our hands on next gen EA titles.
 
# 13 bucky60 @ 06/20/13 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
No, it is an engine. Totally different than a "gimmick"
From what I've read in interviews, it's not a new Engine. It's a collection of existing engines that they happen to just name the collection "Ignite". Which sounds partially gimmicky to me.

I am anxious to see what the new gen does with this collection of engines.
 
# 14 trey2k198003 @ 06/20/13 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
From the NCAA demo.. so far so good, better than last year for sure
This game and the current gen madden wont have the ignite engine,.
 
# 15 darkxsacrificex @ 06/20/13 04:53 PM
i cant say till i play it on next gen i dont know one thing im kinda happy all the ea sports game will use it and working on the same engine maybe something great can happen but i dont count on it but if im wrong im wrong i just hoping for a decent game this year for the next games
 
# 16 DKHardee @ 06/20/13 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
From the NCAA demo.. so far so good, better than last year for sure
I think the ignite engine is next-gen only.
 
# 17 C.J.S. @ 06/20/13 05:46 PM
man, the ncaa demo is crap....how could u even think it's a new engine?
 
# 18 NicVirtue @ 06/20/13 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
From what I've read in interviews, it's not a new Engine. It's a collection of existing engines that they happen to just name the collection "Ignite". Which sounds partially gimmicky to me.

I am anxious to see what the new gen does with this collection of engines.
Hmm? A game can only have 1 base engine. That's what drives it. That's what developers use to make the work load easier. That's what they build the game upon. Like Frostbite, or Unreal. Can't have both at once

It is in fact a game engine, not a gimmick. It won't be coming to PC either, as few gamers own PC's with the specs to run the engine.
 
# 19 ubernoob @ 06/20/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
It is in fact a game engine, not a gimmick. It won't be coming to PC either, as few gamers own PC's with the specs to run the engine.
That's not why it's not coming to PC, don't be silly.
 
# 20 bucky60 @ 06/20/13 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
Hmm? A game can only have 1 base engine. That's what drives it. That's what developers use to make the work load easier. That's what they build the game upon. Like Frostbite, or Unreal. Can't have both at once

It is in fact a game engine, not a gimmick. It won't coming to PC as few gamers own PC's with the specs to run the engine.
According to the someone involved in Madden development, I think it was Cam Weber but I can't remember exactly who the interview was with, Ignite is not ONE engine, but a collection of existing engines/tools including the current infinity engine.

That and I would say you are wrong about "can only have one engine". Previous developers of Madden constantly said the game is built on multiple engines. Now the current developers are saying the same thing.

I think I'll take their word over yours.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.