Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post


Tradition Football has compiled a list of the top 15 rated players from NCAA Football 14. Even more details can be found here.

Quote:
99 OVR – Jadeveon Clowney DE#7 – South Carolina – JR
97 OVR – Johnny Manziel QB#2 – Texas A&M – SO(RS)
97 OVR – De’Anthony Thomas HB#6 – Oregon – JR
97 OVR – A.J. McCarron QB#10 – Alabama – SR(RS)
97 OVR – Marqise Lee WR#9 – USC – JR
97 OVR – C.J. Mosley MLB#32 – Alabama – SR
96 OVR – Braxton Miller QB#5 – Ohio State – JR
96 OVR – Teddy Bridewater QB#5 – Louisville – JR
96 OVR – Jake Matthews LT#75 – Texas A&M – SR
96 OVR – Aaron Murray QB#11 – Georgia – SR(RS)
96 OVR – Taylor Lewan LT#77 – Michigan – SR(RS)
95 OVR – Tahj Boyd QB#10 – Clemson – SR(RS)
95 OVR – Sammy Watkins WR#2 – Clemson – JR
95 OVR – Denicos Allen ROLB#28 – Michigan State – SR(RS)
94 OVR – Ka’Deem Carey HB#25 – Arizona – JR

What do you guys think of the list?

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 52 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 GruffyMcGuiness @ 06/11/13 01:13 PM
Looks good I'd say McCarron is a little overrated but other than that.
 
# 2 stratospaly @ 06/11/13 01:47 PM
SO with high 90's ratings... I know he is good, but really??

It seems like they are making good players into gods, and great players into Titans. The normal D2 scrub can now run a 4.5 40...
 
# 3 TripleCrown9 @ 06/11/13 01:54 PM
Why does the screenshot for C.J. Mosley not include C.J. Mosley?
 
# 4 freernnur5 @ 06/11/13 02:04 PM
Everything looks good to me except this one point when discussing Braxton Miller:

"Miller is a very good passer (91 Throw Power, 84 Throw Accuracy)"

He is an excellent runner as a QB, but not that good as a passer. He finished tied for 43rd in the country in passer rating at 140.5 (McCarron was #1 at 175.3). His YPA of 8.0 is tied for 25th with 9 other QBs. His completion percentage of 58.3% was good for 80th in the country.

Do those stats really show someone who is a very good passer to you?

I know I am a Michigan fan so this may sound like the homer in me talking. He is a very good QB because of his legs and that opens throwing opportunities for him, but to say he is a very good passer is a little laughable.

Just compare that year of his to Denard Robinson's from 2011 (2012 he was injured for 5 games and was not a QB so the stats aren't a fair comparison).

2011 - 55.0%, 8.4 YPA, 139.7 passer rating.

Keep in mind Denard had 15 ints that year to sink his passer rating as opposed to the 6 Miller had in 2012. Everyone, including myself would admit Denard Robinson is not a very good passer. He was electric because of his legs first and foremost.
 
# 5 jello1717 @ 06/11/13 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freernnur5
Everything looks good to me except this one point when discussing Braxton Miller:

"Miller is a very good passer (91 Throw Power, 84 Throw Accuracy)"

He is an excellent runner as a QB, but not that good as a passer. He finished tied for 43rd in the country in passer rating at 140.5 (McCarron was #1 at 175.3). His YPA of 8.0 is tied for 25th with 9 other QBs. His completion percentage of 58.3% was good for 80th in the country.

Do those stats really show someone who is a very good passer to you?

I know I am a Michigan fan so this may sound like the homer in me talking. He is a very good QB because of his legs and that opens throwing opportunities for him, but to say he is a very good passer is a little laughable.

Just compare that year of his to Denard Robinson's from 2011 (2012 he was injured for 5 games and was not a QB so the stats aren't a fair comparison).

2011 - 55.0%, 8.4 YPA, 139.7 passer rating.

Keep in mind Denard had 15 ints that year to sink his passer rating as opposed to the 6 Miller had in 2012. Everyone, including myself would admit Denard Robinson is not a very good passer. He was electric because of his legs first and foremost.
How bad of a passer he was in real life doesn't matter. The fact that he has 91 THP and 84 THA is what makes him a good passer in NCAA '14 (although I wouldn't call that very good). The guys that have THP and THA both in the 90s are what I'd call very good.
 
# 6 freernnur5 @ 06/11/13 02:11 PM
Also for Lewan I think his pass blocking is probably a tad high. He is an excellent run blocker, but when pro scouts were evaluating him his pass blocking was viewed as needing improvement because he is still a little raw in that area.
 
# 7 freernnur5 @ 06/11/13 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
How bad of a passer he was in real life doesn't matter. The fact that he has 91 THP and 84 THA is what makes him a good passer in NCAA '14 (although I wouldn't call that very good). The guys that have THP and THA both in the 90s are what I'd call very good.
So what a person does in real life has no impact on their rating in the game whatsoever? I will say that yes, numbers in the 90s would make a very good passer.

I guess my argument is he should not be in the 90s for his ratings.
 
# 8 KickassJohnson @ 06/11/13 02:13 PM
Braxton Miller a 96?? wow he has wheels but he's nowhere near McCarron, Johnny, Murray, and Boyd.. I'd even take Marriota over him and Bridgewater

overrated, should be around 93 tops
 
# 9 jello1717 @ 06/11/13 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freernnur5
Everything looks good to me except this one point when discussing Braxton Miller:

"Miller is a very good passer (91 Throw Power, 84 Throw Accuracy)"

He is an excellent runner as a QB, but not that good as a passer. He finished tied for 43rd in the country in passer rating at 140.5 (McCarron was #1 at 175.3). His YPA of 8.0 is tied for 25th with 9 other QBs. His completion percentage of 58.3% was good for 80th in the country.

Do those stats really show someone who is a very good passer to you?

I know I am a Michigan fan so this may sound like the homer in me talking. He is a very good QB because of his legs and that opens throwing opportunities for him, but to say he is a very good passer is a little laughable.

Just compare that year of his to Denard Robinson's from 2011 (2012 he was injured for 5 games and was not a QB so the stats aren't a fair comparison).

2011 - 55.0%, 8.4 YPA, 139.7 passer rating.

Keep in mind Denard had 15 ints that year to sink his passer rating as opposed to the 6 Miller had in 2012. Everyone, including myself would admit Denard Robinson is not a very good passer. He was electric because of his legs first and foremost.
And if you're gonna compare Miller and Robinson as passers, Miller's arm (91 THP/84 THA) is better than Denard's was in '13.
 
# 10 freernnur5 @ 06/11/13 02:15 PM
Also you can compare his numbers to Tahj Boyd's (94 THP, 88 THA).

Boyd put up a line of 67.2%, 9.1 YPA, 165.6 (13 ints pulling this # down).

Those ratings are much more accurate based on his real life stats than Miller's. Do you think their arms should be similarly rated given the pretty big disparity in real life stats?
 
# 11 freernnur5 @ 06/11/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
And if you're gonna compare Miller and Robinson as passers, Miller's arm (91 THP/84 THA) is better than Denard's was in '13.
Good point, did not see that, although I would argue Denard's arm was probably overrated there too.
 
# 12 The JareBear @ 06/11/13 02:17 PM
Not shocked at all by these ratings. We had a thread predicting this stuff not too long ago
 
# 13 The_Wise_One @ 06/11/13 02:19 PM
Not bad. Nice to see only one elite player. Mosley seems a tad too high, maybe a 95 would be better
 
# 14 boxboy99 @ 06/11/13 02:20 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I say Miller's QBA is too high, but 84 is pretty average on the game. I'm rolling with Clemson in my Online Dynasty, so very exciting to run with Boyd and Watkins.
 
# 15 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/11/13 02:21 PM
They all too damn high......But then again they are always too high every year.
 
# 16 TripleCrown9 @ 06/11/13 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
don't know what you guys are talking about, these guys in the game aren't based off of real players.
Well then the guy that wrote the article shouldn't have addressed all 15 players by name lol.
 
# 17 Gap Integrity @ 06/11/13 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freernnur5
Everything looks good to me except this one point when discussing Braxton Miller:

"Miller is a very good passer (91 Throw Power, 84 Throw Accuracy)"

He is an excellent runner as a QB, but not that good as a passer. He finished tied for 43rd in the country in passer rating at 140.5 (McCarron was #1 at 175.3). His YPA of 8.0 is tied for 25th with 9 other QBs. His completion percentage of 58.3% was good for 80th in the country.

Do those stats really show someone who is a very good passer to you?

I know I am a Michigan fan so this may sound like the homer in me talking. He is a very good QB because of his legs and that opens throwing opportunities for him, but to say he is a very good passer is a little laughable.

Just compare that year of his to Denard Robinson's from 2011 (2012 he was injured for 5 games and was not a QB so the stats aren't a fair comparison).

2011 - 55.0%, 8.4 YPA, 139.7 passer rating.

Keep in mind Denard had 15 ints that year to sink his passer rating as opposed to the 6 Miller had in 2012. Everyone, including myself would admit Denard Robinson is not a very good passer. He was electric because of his legs first and foremost.
I totally agree with you as a Buckeye fan. It looks like EA boosted his Passing attributes tremendously. He is a phenom running and scrambling, but he is certainly not anywhere near an elite passer, which a 96 OVR suggests. I don't care how much time he spent with George Whitfield, until he proves he has improved on the field, I'd say EA overrated him. You can't always look at the OVR rating, but in this case they had to have pumped his arm up to achieve that mark. My only recommendation to people who don't like it is Download the Buffeye roster when we drop it.
 
# 18 theharbinater @ 06/11/13 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They all too damn high......But then again they are always too high every year.
agreed. i wish ncaa and madden would be cooperative in their ratings.

a 99 should be best in the world, all-timer type player, and should never happen in college.

i dont think there should be a cap on college players, but very rarely should any of them be in the 90's, and the elite should usually be in the mid-high 80's where most good-not-great pro's are. maybe a handful each year. those that would play and impact from day 1 in nfl, like clowney, julio/aj green a few years back, cam newton, luck/rg3, etc.

most players should be in 60's/70's, with the good in the high 70's/low 80's, and elite in mid/high 80's, with a rare low 90 player like peterson and manning.

as for those ratings, relative to each other, doesn't look bad. clowney is clearly the best player, followed by manziel and a handful of other good qb's and a few tackles.
 
# 19 jello1717 @ 06/11/13 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They all too damn high......But then again they are always too high every year.
While I definitely would prefer the ratings to be lower, given the progression in dynasty, I don't think that these are too high. There's only 1 99 in this bunch. I've had bunches of guys in my offline and online dynasties that were rated 99, and that's with me not allowed to sway anyone that wants to leave early (which obviously would've drastically increased my # of 99s.

Below is my latest 99 and while he's very good, he's no Clowney and it'd be dumb if he was rated higher than Clowney.

Hell, I have 6 95+ guys on my team right now and there are 18 guys on the 8 USER teams in 2023 that are 95+. Again, we're not allowed to sway guys so this could be far worse. If there are more than 18 95+ guys in the future of dynasty, starting with 14 certainly isn't too many. Of course the best solution is to start lower and have less progression, but with the current progression, we need to start with high rated players.
 
# 20 jello1717 @ 06/11/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinater
agreed. i wish ncaa and madden would be cooperative in their ratings.

a 99 should be best in the world, all-timer type player, and should never happen in college.

i dont think there should be a cap on college players, but very rarely should any of them be in the 90's, and the elite should usually be in the mid-high 80's where most good-not-great pro's are. maybe a handful each year. those that would play and impact from day 1 in nfl, like clowney, julio/aj green a few years back, cam newton, luck/rg3, etc.

most players should be in 60's/70's, with the good in the high 70's/low 80's, and elite in mid/high 80's, with a rare low 90 player like peterson and manning.

as for those ratings, relative to each other, doesn't look bad. clowney is clearly the best player, followed by manziel and a handful of other good qb's and a few tackles.
I disagree completely with this. I think the 2 games should have 2 sets of ratings. The scales are (and should be) relative. A 99 in Madden should be the best to ever play in the NFL. Likewise a 99 in NCAA should be the best to ever play in the NCAA. There should be 90s in NCAA, which are the elite NCAA players (regardless of how they'd rate in Madden). A player's NCAA grade should have nothing to do with the NFL (since, of course, this isn't the NFL). A Pat White or Charlie Ward should be rated very highly in NCAA, even though they wouldn't be in Madden.
 

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.