Home
News Post


The Fight Night boxing franchise has been placed on an indefinite hold, according to IGN, as the focus is on EA Sports UFC. Fight Night Champion was released over 2 years ago. It makes you wonder if the series will ever make a comeback.

Member Comments
# 1 LingeringRegime @ 05/24/13 10:47 AM
Kind of figured as much. I hope that 2K will throw their hat back into the ring.
 
# 2 mcmax3000 @ 05/24/13 11:48 AM
Not surprising, given that we already knew the Fight Night team were the ones working on UFC.

I could see them having all hands on deck working on getting UFC up, and running, then maybe expanding the team, and splitting into two, alternating yearly between UFC, and Fight Night, which is what they originally wanted to do with EA Sports MMA, before that tanked.
 
# 3 ps3veron @ 05/24/13 12:02 PM
Shame, we need another developer for boxing titles.
 
# 4 believeinnow @ 05/24/13 12:34 PM
I don't see there being anyone else jumping on the authentic boxing scene for the time being since the sport doesn't have a marquee boxer to rally behind. I wouldn't mind an arcade boxer or something light-hearted (like a punch out game for 3DS or the WiiU). But, I think once the EA UFC game launches, the potential of expanding to accommodate both sports is possible.
 
# 5 ccoaxum @ 05/24/13 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
No surprise. Is there really that big of a demand for a boxing game? I love boxing but even I have to say that there isn't much appeal to the general public other than Mayweather and a few other names. And Mayweather will cost too much to be in an EA game so whats the point of buying the game without Mayweather?
agreed, n putting old boxers from the past is getting old smh, don't blame EA
 
# 6 JayBee74 @ 05/24/13 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
No surprise. Is there really that big of a demand for a boxing game? I love boxing but even I have to say that there isn't much appeal to the general public other than Mayweather and a few other names. And Mayweather will cost too much to be in an EA game so whats the point of buying the game without Mayweather?
I'm not sure it's mostly about what boxers are in the game. Revolutionary gameplay will bring the video game sports fans in.
 
# 7 iLLmatic @ 05/24/13 11:53 PM
What killed this game was the absence of the authentic feel to the sport. It'll be interesting to see how the advancements in UFC may possible be a good thing for any future FN games as a lot of the innovations will no doubt be used in any future versions of the FN series.

So much about fight sports is the environment and atmosphere in and out of the ring and until EA gets that right, I think it's a good thing to stop making boxing games. The only real draw to FN was the ability to fight as real boxers, old and current, but unfortunately, the in games physics and respect to real life replication of the actually fighters true skills and abilities made the games replay value drop quickly. You can only fight George Foreman and so many other fighters so many times before you realize that this game didn't do any justice to the fighters who had very distinct and specific styles and it was a let down when you didn't see the ability to replicate those styles into the game. Whether hardcore or novice fan, true to life fighter styles shouldn't be sacrificed for those of the demographic that want FN to be "rock-em sock-em robots" in video game form.

I'd love to see the team from MLB The Show or even the Rockstar team take a stab at it as both have shown an innate skill for attention to detail in their games, but that is a crack pipe dream.
 
# 8 SHAKYR @ 05/25/13 12:01 AM
Some say boxing is dead and some of these game producers(EA) are contributing to the hype because their lack of passion and knowledge of boxing translate into the product(Fight Night). Boxing is still making money and has million of fans worldwide. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the highest paid athlete two years in a row.
EA needs to stop blaming the sport of boxing and give the fans what they want and not what they think they need. Fans want the game to be similar to what they see on TV or a live match. The fans want a deep game with depth in various areas like the customization, controls, career, features, and things that apply to the sport in general.

If boxing was dead why are sites like these flooded with fans and posts everyday.

BoxRec: Total members 42649

East Side Boxing: Total Members 30,969

BoxingScene : Total Members 162273

SaddoBoxing: Total Members21,697
MaxBoxing: Total Members 19,439
And a large number of other boxing sites exist.

If boxing is dead how can a text-sim site exist after years without a new game? They just produced another game under new creators( P.I.S.D. Ltd.) only because the original game owner(Andreas Raht) kept getting side tracked with other priority projects and the demand for another game was high.... For a Text-Sim game?!? Yes!

I started a Title Bout Champion Boxing Twitter that I just relinquished to the new owners/creators because the guy in charge of PR couldn't believe how many followers I had. The point I'm trying to make is that a game that has realism and depth of a sim, but no graphics like that of console game has a following. So, why can't a company like EA take a chance and give fans the realism and depth of a Text-Sim. The Champion Mode was a waste of resources and turned the hardcore fans off.
Fight Night can be a major seller if the producers stop trying to be so casual friendly...No, too casual friendly and ignore the overall mechanics of boxing. If boxing is dead let the fans have overall control and freedom to create the boxing universe they want in a game.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Kind of figured as much. I hope that 2K will throw their hat back into the ring.
I'm pushing them. I have had contact with a few representatives and producers from various companies and 2KSports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Shame, we need another developer for boxing titles.
This time EA's Fight Night team is taking off for the UFC game is leaving room for other companies to walk on the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinnow
I don't see there being anyone else jumping on the authentic boxing scene for the time being since the sport doesn't have a marquee boxer to rally behind. I wouldn't mind an arcade boxer or something light-hearted (like a punch out game for 3DS or the WiiU). But, I think once the EA UFC game launches, the potential of expanding to accommodate both sports is possible.
The arcade approach with tiny bits of sim/realism is what hurt the current game. Fans want Fight Night to be more of a boxing game and not an arcade fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan41
Really, Please Please another developer for boxing titles....EA ties all these titles up with money so no one other can make them, and no one but the gamers get burned.........
EA can't own boxing because it's not like football and other organized sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
No surprise. Is there really that big of a demand for a boxing game? I love boxing but even I have to say that there isn't much appeal to the general public other than Mayweather and a few other names. And Mayweather will cost too much to be in an EA game so whats the point of buying the game without Mayweather?
Big demand?!? There is a huge demand! Boxing didn't start with Floyd Mayweather Jr. nor will it end with him. A boxing game with more freedom to customize how you want it to play out is the key. I have a Facebook group with fans and boxers who will support a boxing game if it showed the realism and excitement the sport can give you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
agreed, n putting old boxers from the past is getting old smh, don't blame EA
Old, historic, and Hall of Fame boxers have nothing to do with EA's Fight Night Champion or any of the games failing. Fans love the what if scenarios in sports games. I know for a fact these boxers don't take space from adding another boxer fans want in the game. So, what's the problem with them being in the game? No one is forced to use them and they give you the option to remove them from a list in career mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I'm not sure it's mostly about what boxers are in the game. Revolutionary gameplay will bring the video game sports fans in.
I think EA's producers should stick with boxing and not gimmicks. I have heard the complaints from various sports gaming sites and their own sites. Fans want to have an experience with the tools that each boxer is know for bringing to fights; nothing more nothing less.
 
# 9 SHAKYR @ 05/25/13 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLmatic
What killed this game was the absence of the authentic feel to the sport. It'll be interesting to see how the advancements in UFC may possible be a good thing for any future FN games as a lot of the innovations will no doubt be used in any future versions of the FN series.

So much about fight sports is the environment and atmosphere in and out of the ring and until EA gets that right, I think it's a good thing to stop making boxing games. The only real draw to FN was the ability to fight as real boxers, old and current, but unfortunately, the in games physics and respect to real life replication of the actually fighters true skills and abilities made the games replay value drop quickly. You can only fight George Foreman and so many other fighters so many times before you realize that this game didn't do any justice to the fighters who had very distinct and specific styles and it was a let down when you didn't see the ability to replicate those styles into the game. Whether hardcore or novice fan, true to life fighter styles shouldn't be sacrificed for those of the demographic that want FN to be "rock-em sock-em robots" in video game form.

I'd love to see the team from MLB The Show or even the Rockstar team take a stab at it as both have shown an innate skill for attention to detail in their games, but that is a crack pipe dream.
Exactly! I agree.
 
# 10 JayBee74 @ 05/25/13 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
You ask a casual boxing fan, meaning someone who doesn't follow it much but watches the big fights, who someone like Canelo Alvarez is and they couldn't tell you. And that's the guy everyone wants Mayweather to fight.
Casual boxing fan, oblivious to everyone except Floyd Mayweather?

I don't get the casual boxing fan tag. You are either a fan or someone not interested in the sport.

I know some boxing fans, I don't know any casual boxing fans.
 
# 11 Complex @ 05/25/13 04:42 PM
Sad...just sad
 
# 12 Jukeman @ 05/25/13 05:15 PM
Lol this UFC game better be good.


Is this deja vu?
 
# 13 Dos_Santos @ 05/25/13 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Here's the problem. Boxing is dying. As much as hardcore boxing enthusiasts don't want to admit it, it is. NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, NHL, Soccer, PGA, UFC all are more followed daily in the United States than boxing is.

Floyd Mayweather may be the highest paid athlete yearly but he fights 1-2 times per year and is irrelevant the rest of the time. You ask a casual boxing fan, meaning someone who doesn't follow it much but watches the big fights, who someone like Canelo Alvarez is and they couldn't tell you. And that's the guy everyone wants Mayweather to fight.

The truth is Floyd Mayweather is the last relevant boxer in the United States. Pacquiao is fighting over in China, no one really cares about him anymore because he got dropped cold. Heavyweight division is a joke. And the guys who are really worth watching are these young guys nobody knows and isn't going to take the time to invest in.

Boxing does a terrible job promoting the sport. Not enough boxing coverage. The explosion of the UFC came because you began to see UFC on FX all the time. They had The Ultimate Fighter but they were also showing old fights constantly. It helped people to learn the sport and more importantly know the brand. With the explosion of the sport, more young wrestlers and athletes are more interested in learning MMA than boxing.

Boxing will never truly die. It will always have appeal Internationally. But in terms of American popularity, boxing is easily behind all of those other sports. Part of what contributed to the fall is Promoters and too many weight classes/belts. There are 100 different weight classes and 50 different belts per weight class. Now that's an exaggeration but the point is that boxing has become a clusterf**k to keep up with in terms of who is champion, who is in what weight class, etc. You got Promoters setting up guys with 15-20 cupcake, hand picked fights to build a resume, then they get some alphabet belt. You don't get the fights you want, when you want them. You do in the UFC because fights are made by the organization, the promoters & fighters don't pick and choose.

In terms of Fight Night, there's just not enough of a demand to make a boxing game. If there was then games would be getting made. You can't keep throwing in the same rosters they've had in because most of those guys are retired so basically it becomes a Legends game just so you can have some guys in the game people recognize. They can't afford Mayweather so the 1 guy everyone would want in the game wouldn't be in the game.

SHAKR, you are one of the hardcore boxing fans. You are the exception. That twitter thing you showed didn't even have 1,000 followers. yes boxing websites exist. The sport is still out there and there is a fan base that needs to get their info from somewhere. None of those things prove there is a high demand for a boxing game. Within your circle and the websites you visit there is obviously a demand for it because you are going to specific types of websites.

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero didn't even break 1 million PPV buys despite what Showtime will tell you. Showtime & Mayweather will tell you it broke $1 million in the same way the Mets will announce they have 25,000 people at the game when the stadium is empty.



I'm a boxing fan, i enjoyed the Fight Night series although I skipped the last game because I wasn't feeling the whole story mode type thing. But I think you when you say there's a huge demand for a realistic boxing game you're basing it on the boxing websites, boxing-gaming websites you go to which will obviously be calling for the same thing. But there's not a high demand for the sport at the moment from the general public and there's even less of a demand for a boxing game from the general public otherwise someone would be making a game. Truth is if you went up to any casual sports/combat sports fan and asked if they'd rather have a UFC or boxing game they'd most likely say UFC because it's something they see and are familiar with more often.

Lol. Was this typed with a serious face?

Boxing was dead after Ali...then the Big 4...then Tyson...then Lewis/Holyfield...then De La Hoya...then Pac...then Mayweather, etc...

Some of you guys need to not post about things you don't understand. It is like the people in the states who make fun of soccer.

Who cares that this franchise is on hold as it was a terrible product. They didn't even have enough sense to not put a random actor on the cover of the last game.

I feel really sorry for my MMA brethren who are getting hyped about UFC EA. The chances of it being a fun, quality product are so slim that there is zero reason to follow it with the smallest chance of being surprised.
 
# 14 N51_rob @ 05/25/13 06:21 PM
A little part of the sports gamer in me died today. I guess i better go grab a copy of FNC. Thanks EA.
 
# 15 SHAKYR @ 05/25/13 07:29 PM
A good game is a good game. Word of mouth is a fire that can spread or die. I know plenty of games I'm not a fan of, but just from hearing people talk about them made me want to play them.

Sports games that I would play but I'm not a fan or huge fan of the sport it's self..

NFL(I watch a game here and there..definitely the playoffs)
NBA(I watch it but not faithfully)
MLB(maybe the playoffs and World Series)
UFC(A few fights here and there, mostly major fights)
Soccer(can't watch it)
PGA( only when Tiger Wood's play)
NHL(Can't watch it)
Tennis(Can't watch it, but I love Serena and Venus Williams)
Wrestling(I was a huge fan back in the days but I don't watch it anymore)

The reason I can play some of these sports games is because they are make very close to the sport contains. If the game doesn't have it, it doesn't have it and I move on. I loved NFL 2K and it set the bar in many areas that the Madden series was/is lacking. NBA 2K amazes me every time around, NBA Live left a bad taste in my mouth so I left the series alone.
The point I'm making is that the sport doesn't necessarily has anything at all to do with a badly made game.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Here's the problem. Boxing is dying. As much as hardcore boxing enthusiasts don't want to admit it, it is. NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, NHL, Soccer, PGA, UFC all are more followed daily in the United States than boxing is.

Floyd Mayweather may be the highest paid athlete yearly but he fights 1-2 times per year and is irrelevant the rest of the time. You ask a casual boxing fan, meaning someone who doesn't follow it much but watches the big fights, who someone like Canelo Alvarez is and they couldn't tell you. And that's the guy everyone wants Mayweather to fight.

The truth is Floyd Mayweather is the last relevant boxer in the United States. Pacquiao is fighting over in China, no one really cares about him anymore because he got dropped cold. Heavyweight division is a joke. And the guys who are really worth watching are these young guys nobody knows and isn't going to take the time to invest in.

Boxing does a terrible job promoting the sport. Not enough boxing coverage. The explosion of the UFC came because you began to see UFC on FX all the time. They had The Ultimate Fighter but they were also showing old fights constantly. It helped people to learn the sport and more importantly know the brand. With the explosion of the sport, more young wrestlers and athletes are more interested in learning MMA than boxing.

Boxing will never truly die. It will always have appeal Internationally. But in terms of American popularity, boxing is easily behind all of those other sports. Part of what contributed to the fall is Promoters and too many weight classes/belts. There are 100 different weight classes and 50 different belts per weight class. Now that's an exaggeration but the point is that boxing has become a clusterf**k to keep up with in terms of who is champion, who is in what weight class, etc. You got Promoters setting up guys with 15-20 cupcake, hand picked fights to build a resume, then they get some alphabet belt. You don't get the fights you want, when you want them. You do in the UFC because fights are made by the organization, the promoters & fighters don't pick and choose.
Promoters are partially the blame, 5, 7 or 10 most boxers in history fought opponents to build a record or let the public see what they were capable of. Too many weight classes?!? The weight argument would have worked 20 or 30 years ago. Weight can be deadly in today's boxing, even some of the greats who fought bigger opponents got their tails handed to them.

In terms of Fight Night, there's just not enough of a demand to make a boxing game. If there was then games would be getting made. You can't keep throwing in the same rosters they've had in because most of those guys are retired so basically it becomes a Legends game just so you can have some guys in the game people recognize. They can't afford Mayweather so the 1 guy everyone would want in the game wouldn't be in the game.

As I keep stating the demand is high. Fight Night didn't fall off because of the so-called state of boxing(I'm seeing plenty of amateur boxers in tournaments and local shows), Fight Night wasn't boxing and many of the old fans passed on it. I got dismissed from EA forums as a Senior Moderator because I was telling the producers and the Administrators how me and many of the fans who used to email me felt.

SHAKR, you are one of the hardcore boxing fans. You are the exception. That twitter thing you showed didn't even have 1,000 followers. yes boxing websites exist. The sport is still out there and there is a fan base that needs to get their info from somewhere. None of those things prove there is a high demand for a boxing game. Within your circle and the websites you visit there is obviously a demand for it because you are going to specific types of websites.
Those numbers jumped up there once it was official that there would be another game in a few weeks. I think I had 300 or so a week ago
Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero didn't even break 1 million PPV buys despite what Showtime will tell you. Showtime & Mayweather will tell you it broke $1 million in the same way the Mets will announce they have 25,000 people at the game when the stadium is empty.
The Mayweather Jr. VS. Guerrero numbers on who or what you want to believe.


I'm a boxing fan, i enjoyed the Fight Night series although I skipped the last game because I wasn't feeling the whole story mode type thing. But I think you when you say there's a huge demand for a realistic boxing game you're basing it on the boxing websites, boxing-gaming websites you go to which will obviously be calling for the same thing. But there's not a high demand for the sport at the moment from the general public and there's even less of a demand for a boxing game from the general public otherwise someone would be making a game. Truth is if you went up to any casual sports/combat sports fan and asked if they'd rather have a UFC or boxing game they'd most likely say UFC because it's something they see and are familiar with more often.
It depends on the areas or demographic. Boxing is doing well on the amateur level. So these children are getting interested from somewhere. My son doesn't like UFC and only a couple of his friends watch it because they are wrestling fans and it reminds them of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Casual boxing fan, oblivious to everyone except Floyd Mayweather?

I don't get the casual boxing fan tag. You are either a fan or someone not interested in the sport.

I know some boxing fans, I don't know any casual boxing fans.
A Casual fan is just what they are. They don't have a huge interest in the sport and may watch a major event. Casual fans can care less about a sport's history or facts. They can care less about historic value of certain events and they don't debate if something is wrong about the sport or game.


If boxing is dead I saw alot of people at it's repeated funeral.
 
# 16 JayBee74 @ 05/26/13 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
A Casual fan is just what they are. They don't have a huge interest in the sport and may watch a major event. Casual fans can care less about a sport's history or facts. They can care less about historic value of certain events and they don't debate if something is wrong about the sport or game.
Then just call them "casuals" because they're not fans.
 
# 17 SHAKYR @ 05/26/13 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Then just call them "casuals" because they're not fans.
You are right.
 
# 18 Money99 @ 05/26/13 10:28 AM
Fight Night Round 4 sold very well. It proved that a good boxing game can and will sell.
FNC didn't sell well. Why? Because instead of proving a truly sim experience of what it takes to train a boxer in and out of the ring, they focused on a canned and linear story mode.

If they had built off of FNRd4 by tweaking the gameplay and then adding in features that are present in their NFL and NHL games, such as a Manager mode, I'm positive FNC would have eclipsed Rd4 sales.

I hope that MMA fans realize what they're going to get with EA's new UFC game.
I wouldn't be surprised if the team, instead of focusing on the training, managing and promotion of fighters, gives gamers another linear storymode that will mimic the movie "Warrior".

But with my bad luck, EA UFC will provide an incredibly deep and versatile managers/trainers mode that I would have given my left leg to have in FN.
 
# 19 SHAKYR @ 05/26/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Fight Night Round 4 sold very well. It proved that a good boxing game can and will sell.
FNC didn't sell well. Why? Because instead of proving a truly sim experience of what it takes to train a boxer in and out of the ring, they focused on a canned and linear story mode.

If they had built off of FNRd4 by tweaking the gameplay and then adding in features that are present in their NFL and NHL games, such as a Manager mode, I'm positive FNC would have eclipsed Rd4 sales.

I hope that MMA fans realize what they're going to get with EA's new UFC game.
I wouldn't be surprised if the team, instead of focusing on the training, managing and promotion of fighters, gives gamers another linear storymode that will mimic the movie "Warrior".

But with my bad luck, EA UFC will provide an incredibly deep and versatile managers/trainers mode that I would have given my left leg to have in FN.
Money99 they actually have Dana White over their shoulders making sure they don't mess this game up. Dana White is very hands on with his product. He even said it. We might get the as the saying goes,"step-child treatment"
 
# 20 acarrero @ 05/26/13 02:01 PM
If Boxing were dead, Floyd Mayweather would not be the top money earner in all of sports, by far (with Pacquiao in 2nd place in 2012). But gamers are mostly young people who are not so into boxing.

I predict there will be future boxing games by EA but I wonder what it will take for them to return. Hopefully it happens in the next year or 2. I don't think UFC will ever be an elite sport, boxing will overtake it again, but I recognize MMA's bigger popularity among the gaming crowd right now, so this is no surprise.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.