Home
NHL 14 News Post



This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
NHL 14 Collision Physics Gameplay Trailer. Feel the hits like never before with NHL 14 Collision Physics, the latest gameplay innovation from the EA SPORTS NHL team.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ch46647 @ 05/02/13 08:18 AM
That looked AMAZING!
 
# 2 bonannogiovanni @ 05/02/13 08:53 AM
Agree 10chars
 
# 3 Cletus @ 05/02/13 08:59 AM
I'm not sure exactly how the hits are going to be triggered by the user. Who chooses whether to do a shove or a shoulder check? Also, the hip check/clipping issue is still there. The hitting does look great and a lot more realistic, especially considering they use larger players. I did like the check in the middle of the spin-o-rama. The one thing that scared me is, if you watch the preview clip for the dekeing, neither defenseman step up to take the man and when they do, they go for a check that they miss because of an animation. One touch dekeing is fine as long as it's not an invincible animation.
 
# 4 Money99 @ 05/02/13 09:00 AM
Looks really good!
 
# 5 mike24forever @ 05/02/13 09:06 AM
Looks good.
 
# 6 canucksss @ 05/02/13 09:50 AM
looks great!

But im afraid if Derek Roy could hit Chara and the same result ...this will be useless. Also, if the Gameplay and presentation will not be improve...again this Collision physics will be useless in NHL 14. Ram said that there'll be another video update regarding deke, gameplay.........hmmm.
 
# 7 MizzouRah @ 05/02/13 10:03 AM
They did say the system takes into consideration, the size, momentum and point of impact for each collision.

Looks FANTASTIC!
 
# 8 Elite49 @ 05/02/13 11:02 AM
Not seeing any collisions where both players fall down. I really hope that is still in this game, or else it went back to NHL 11.
 
# 9 JezFranco @ 05/02/13 11:08 AM
Looks fantastisc, BUT...
- Are those clips "the best of the best", meaning, did the EA team take the best 15 out of 1000 hits to make this clip?
- And, did 9 out of 10 of the hits in the video cause a 2 min penalty for "interference" (because the puck wasloose)?

Those are two big questions... But it does look great indeed!

And something I'd like to know, will there be any chance for the puck carrier to brace himself for an incoming check, or even check back?
Talking about "offensive checks" a la Forsberg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7Z5Kb3StI
 
# 10 onac22 @ 05/02/13 11:17 AM
Don't really like being negative but this looks the same except the arms wiggle a bit more when they fall. Did I see goalie contact? Great expect interference calls left and right with the keepers in play. One touch dekes still make me nervous. With all of these new collisions and animations the officiating better be updated or this game is already gone.
 
# 11 bwiggy33 @ 05/02/13 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
Who chooses whether to do a shove or a shoulder check?
I don't think there is an actual checking button anymore. I thought that's what one of the preview articles said. Also if you've ever played FIFA you probably know that when running into a player, that's when their physics system comes into play. Obviously there is no hitting button in FIFA. So now the user actaully has to run into the player to hit them, not just hit a button to do so. IMO I think that is the best way to go about it, as long as they don't lay a guy out every single time.

Now there are a couple things I'm concerned about. If there is no hitting button will running into a player always result into a check or some crazy "ragdoll" animation? Can you rub out a player into the boards to take the puck, instead of a full throttle body check? And finally, will there be any hits where neither player falls down?

I like the idea of this system, but I definitely need to see actual gameplay footage in order to make a true judgement.
 
# 12 blinkfan77 @ 05/02/13 01:30 PM
Looks pretty good, but c'mon now with the ridiculous leg flailing. I saw a bunch of hits that looked like this resulted in a torn ACL. Definitely look over the top and need tweaking.
 
# 13 onac22 @ 05/02/13 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I don't think there is an actual checking button anymore. I thought that's what one of the preview articles said. Also if you've ever played FIFA you probably know that when running into a player, that's when their physics system comes into play. Obviously there is no hitting button in FIFA. So now the user actaully has to run into the player to hit them, not just hit a button to do so. IMO I think that is the best way to go about it, as long as they don't lay a guy out every single time.

Now there are a couple things I'm concerned about. If there is no hitting button will running into a player always result into a check or some crazy "ragdoll" animation? Can you rub out a player into the boards to take the puck, instead of a full throttle body check? And finally, will there be any hits where neither player falls down?

I like the idea of this system, but I definitely need to see actual gameplay footage in order to make a true judgement.
But the problem with just running into people, the game already has trouble with interference. Now just bumping a guy causes a hit. Then how is the game going to decide interference? Everytime I bump someone on the way to the puck is my guy going to lay into him? If he does will I get interference calls without even trying? Like before what about goalie collisions? Will we have to avoid the crease and twenty video feet around it just to avoid goalie contact? This really has me concerned, as 13 has already shown problems discerning all of this, now it will be more complicated and less intentional.
 
# 14 Garism @ 05/02/13 05:04 PM
Looks great but..

Is it just me or does sometimes their leg bend and land in an awkward position where in real life it could be a career ending injury?
 
# 15 Joborule @ 05/02/13 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
Looks fantastisc, BUT...
- Are those clips "the best of the best", meaning, did the EA team take the best 15 out of 1000 hits to make this clip?
It doesn't take that much work to compile up hits like that for something such as a trailer. They (likely) have debug tools-or do it manually via settings-that can make the game work in any way they want to. All they would have to do is adjust a setting or two in the middle of the game to make impact collisions occur with higher frequency.

BUT, you do hope that on the more authentic settings that those quality of hits occur only when they should.
 
# 16 bwiggy33 @ 05/02/13 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
But the problem with just running into people, the game already has trouble with interference. Now just bumping a guy causes a hit. Then how is the game going to decide interference? Everytime I bump someone on the way to the puck is my guy going to lay into him? If he does will I get interference calls without even trying? Like before what about goalie collisions? Will we have to avoid the crease and twenty video feet around it just to avoid goalie contact? This really has me concerned, as 13 has already shown problems discerning all of this, now it will be more complicated and less intentional.
I'm wondering the same thing as you. However, if done properly this could look pretty realistic. For some reason I think there will definitely be problems. How it could work though is based on speed. Harder hits result from guys going into hits at top speed. Low speeds might result in just a bump, which is exactly what we would want to see. With the current button system, you can flick the RS and have a chance at demolishing a guy without having any weight or speed going into the guy.

As for goalies, did you play NHL 12 at all? In NHL 12 they had goalie collisions. In fact the back of the box and big feature for the game was "For the first time in this series goalies are now in play." The funniest part of this is that it was non existent in NHL 13. So they hype it up as a feature for 12 and then take it out of 13 for absolutely no reason. Now they are showing goalie collisions off in their trailers for the new physics system, to sell the game again hahaha.

Anyway, the goalie collisions didn't work too bad in NHL 12. Sure the physics of it weren't all that good, but how it worked was pretty decent. You actually had to be aware that if you were crashing the net you better slow down to avoid interference. It wasn't as if guys were just flying into the goalies all the time either. I mainly would just crash into the goalies on purpose when I was fed up with the AI and repetitive CPU. It helped me get rid of my frustration quite well.

Edit:

Onac I now see that the blog is up for it. It appears they have reworked the penalties to fit in with the new system. As I had thought it is all based on LS hitting (so running into the player) but you can still use the RS for hitting to, I guess.
 
# 17 Kalkano @ 05/02/13 10:59 PM
I noticed that they always cut away after the player hit the ice. I wonder if they still flop around like fish out of water.
 
# 18 Schmackity @ 05/03/13 08:53 AM
They said all of the exact same stuff 2-3 years ago when they added the rag doll physics. The size and speed is great for off-line player, but for online player they need to figure out how to make sure people don't just make their guys all 6'9". I liked what NBA 2K series had done, where if you make your guy taller, it's harder to earn skill points and you earn less of them for being so big. Also maybe max out speed/acceleration to small amounts for being a bigger guy so it'd actually make it more even. You could be big and put points into hits but since you have less points, it'll be harder to be effective at anything else in the game.

My favorite aspect of the video is how they even dub down the colors and quality of the video for NHL 13 so that NHL 14 looks THAT much better. There's no ACTUAL in-game gameplay footage. Just a lot of custom camera angles for us to see how it plays ingame. Another year of 'fixes' that just creates new problems.
 
# 19 Qb @ 05/03/13 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I don't think there is an actual checking button anymore.
I've wanted this ever since they went to physics-based collisions. I'd like a "brace for impact" button (maybe RB/R1) that would put your player into a contextual animation for either delivering or bracing for a hit. The rest comes down to player movement with the L-stick and collision detection. This would better represent real life situations where a player is unaware of hit (usually the biggest impact) or sees it coming and is able to better able to absorb it by positioning his body.

This also frees up the R-stick for a defensive skill stick with true manual stick checking, not just directional "poke checking" like we have now.
 
# 20 addybojangles @ 05/03/13 12:16 PM
Oh, dear.

This is going to be horrible. Rag-doll physics, with legs flopping, doesn't happen during a hit. A player being checked fights through the hit, or tries to put a leg down to power through it. They don't immediately lose consciousness and let their body fly where it may.

NHL 14: a checkfest mess online.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.