Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post


It's official. According to GameZone, we will not see a playoff format in NCAA Football 14. Producer, Ben Haumiller states, "The BCS will continue as the post-season format for all years of Dynasty."

Quote:
"We donít yet have all the info about how the playoff system will work, including who will make up the selection committee and what their criteria will be for picking the playoff teams, and itís our policy to not include anything in-game that hasnít been approved and finalized by the NCAA," he explained. I wasn't told if a playoff system would eventually be patched into the game once all of the details are finalized; however, EA seems content with keeping the current BCS intact, at least for this year.

Source - NCAA Football 14 Will Use BCS For All Years Of Dynasty

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 52 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TryHard_Nation @ 04/25/13 03:25 PM
Damnit Ea...
 
# 2 Special27K @ 04/25/13 03:26 PM
Did that article really say that no one really complains about the ranking system in NCAA?
 
# 3 soonermagic88 @ 04/25/13 03:29 PM
Wow, nice big slap in the face
 
# 4 darren1024 @ 04/25/13 03:30 PM
I expected this.
 
# 5 RebelHog @ 04/25/13 03:32 PM
Anyone who is surpised raise your hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
 
# 6 CM Hooe @ 04/25/13 03:52 PM
Not unexpected, mildly disappointing.
 
# 7 BA2929 @ 04/25/13 03:58 PM
Quote:
“We don’t yet have all the info about how the playoff system will work, including who will make up the selection committee and what their criteria will be for picking the playoff teams.”
And there it is. The malarkey reason I was expecting.

Now I'm going to seriously consider not buying the game this year.

Thanks, EA. I've bought this game every year since NCAA '98 and you're forcing me to rethink my yearly decision.

BAD MOVE.
 
# 8 CM Hooe @ 04/25/13 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
And there it is. The malarkey reason I was expecting.

Now I'm going to seriously consider not buying the game this year.
Why isn't it a legitimate reason? All that is known about the playoff is the location of games and that "a selection committee will be used". No one knows anything about the criteria that selection committee will use to fill the field of four teams. Whatever Tiburon implements to guess at the procedure would most likely be wrong and have to be re-done.
 
# 9 BA2929 @ 04/25/13 04:04 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I need to rant here:

Seriously, EA. How hard would it have been to use your stupid BCS formula that never works and just have it pick 4 teams to play in the playoff?

Top 4 BCS points teams make it? HOW HARD IS THAT?

You KNEW it was going to rotate bowl games, that's been a fact for months now and just yesterday they declared which bowls it would be for the first year. So there's NO excuse for not having it in the game this year. NONE. It's not like you're going to implement a freaking selection committee IN the game to pick 4 teams every season, you'll use some algorithm (that probably won't work half the time) to figure them out.

I should have expected this, but deep down I was hoping EA would be smart enough to include it. Apparently I'm an idiot.

/rant
 
# 10 bwburke94 @ 04/25/13 04:04 PM
First off, I need to say that I do not believe this is a cash grab. EA would have implemented the Playoff had the NCAA allowed them to do so.
 
# 11 BA2929 @ 04/25/13 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Why isn't it a legitimate reason? All that is known about the playoff is the location of games and that "a selection committee will be used". No one knows anything about the criteria that selection committee will use to fill the field of four teams. Whatever Tiburon implements to guess at the procedure would most likely be wrong and have to be re-done.

You think EA is going to implement an actual SELECTION COMMITTEE in their game to pick 4 teams? They'll use some sort of algorithm to pick them. Their BCS selection in the NCAA game is incorrect now anyway, so who really cares if it's correct this year? Use the BCS point system that's already in the game that's always screwing up for all I care. They don't have real Media members pick the Media poll in the game, but nobody seems to care about that. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate in the first year and nobody would care.
 
# 12 Watson @ 04/25/13 04:11 PM
Wow. Just wow. I am running out of words to describe this.



And I'm not talking about EA not putting in the playoff system.
 
# 13 CM Hooe @ 04/25/13 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
You think EA is going to implement an actual SELECTION COMMITTEE in their game to pick 4 teams? They'll use some sort of algorithm to pick them. Their BCS selection in the NCAA game is incorrect now anyway, so who really cares if it's correct this year? Use the BCS point system that's already in the game that's always screwing up for all I care. They don't have real Media members pick the Media poll in the game, but nobody seems to care about that. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate in the first year and nobody would care.
No, individual media members are not represented in the game. My point is that there is a certain methodology that the selection committee will use when making determinations as to who gets into the playoff. How much does rank matter? How much does strength of schedule matter? How much does strength of victory matter? How much does conference prestige matter? Will winning one's conference be a virtual requirement to appear in the playoffs?

Development of whatever algorithm Tiburon uses to implement the playoff selection is going to require input and research that hasn't happened yet. I'd rather they spend time to get something that's a grounded representation of whatever is going to exist rather than have something haphazardly thrown in.
 
# 14 BA2929 @ 04/25/13 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
No, individual media members are not represented in the game. My point is that there is a certain methodology that the selection committee will use when making determinations as to who gets into the playoff. How much does rank matter? How much does strength of schedule matter? How much does strength of victory matter? How much does conference prestige matter?

Development of whatever algorithm Tiburon uses to implement the playoff selection is going to require input and research that hasn't happened yet. I'd rather they spend time to get something that's a grounded representation of whatever is going to exist rather than have something haphazardly thrown in.
I respect your opinion, but I will decline to agree with you. I'm going to slink off into the night now so I don't say something I'll regret later.

Like I said, I should have expected this but I guess I've been bamboozled by EA yet again.

Perhaps they'll release it as DLC once all the t's have been dotted and the i's crossed as to how they're going to pick the 4 teams.
 
# 15 grabursock55 @ 04/25/13 04:16 PM
excitement for NCAA 14...

 
# 16 aholbert32 @ 04/25/13 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
And there it is. The malarkey reason I was expecting.

Now I'm going to seriously consider not buying the game this year.

Thanks, EA. I've bought this game every year since NCAA '98 and you're forcing me to rethink my yearly decision.

BAD MOVE.
Why is that "malarkey"? Would you prefer they make up criteria? It is what it is.
 
# 17 Cowboy008 @ 04/25/13 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1024
I expected this.
I agree. I wasn't expecting a playoff for NCAA 14.
 
# 18 jpdavis82 @ 04/25/13 04:28 PM
SO we haven't had this in a football game since....EVER and now people don't want the game? This makes 0 sense, why is this such a big deal?????
 
# 19 TheBrothers24 @ 04/25/13 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
SO we haven't had this in a football game since....EVER and now people don't want the game? This makes 0 sense, why is this such a big deal?????
One of the old NCAA games had the option for a playoff. I think it might have been NCAA Gamebreaker 99 or NCAA Football 99 but I'm not sure. It was on the original Playstation and I remember having the option to select a playoff or BCS before starting a season.
 
# 20 grabursock55 @ 04/25/13 04:34 PM
older EA Football games had playoffs, up to ncaa 2001.
Gamebreaker also had optional playoffs.

Its a big deal now because in the dynasty mode, we will be stuck playing the BCS for the entire dynasty, when in reality, it will only be around for one more year.

It would make the most sense to make it so the top 4 teams in the final AP polls make the playoffs. its simple. There isnt much else to it, because that basically what its gonna be like in real life.
 

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.