Home
NHL 14 News Post


You can view the larger size here.

What do you guys think? Any hints to the direction of the game you guys see?

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Simple Mathematics @ 04/12/13 02:33 PM
Hitting engine again. Hopefully this time they can get it right. I hope collision detection is in. I also hope the physics make sense, so playing against a 6'5 220 pound defender feels different than a 5'10 180 pound defender.
 
# 2 Dazraz @ 04/12/13 03:01 PM
I see the crowd are following the action closely once again!!!
 
# 3 Moose Factory @ 04/12/13 03:05 PM
One thing that bothers me about the NHL series and most sports games is the repeated animations in the crowd. In NHL 13, because there are so many panned out crowd shots it's totally distracting to see the canned repeated animations timed exactly the same, and I can already tell that it doesn't look like they've fixed this. It looks like they use a six person by six person block and then repeat it with different clothes. Seems minor but it totally takes away from the immersive experience.

The players jerseys look to have better lighting and shading though, I just wish most sports games would give some care and focus on the crowds to really capture the feel of the game.

I hope GameFace makes it into NHL 14 too. AND custom logos to create-a-team. I want to create the Charleston Chiefs from Slap Shot!
 
# 4 ComaFaction @ 04/12/13 03:49 PM
I wonder if they will be integrating some semblance of the Infinity Engine into the hitting/collisions. NCAA's new physics looked pretty good to me.
 
# 5 bwiggy33 @ 04/12/13 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlayinSerb
this game has never been one of the better graphically looking sports games, so i was expecting a next gen screenshot, not an old gen one, ea sucks yet again
NHL was IMO the best looking sports game from 07-08 or 09. I don't know much as far as graphics and memory, but it's possible they may have maxed out what they could do as far as graphics, very early on this gen. I don't think the game is ugly, but it would definitely help liven it up if they gave us better replications of the arenas and real player faces. Overall though, this game was way better looking than the other sports games when it first came out, so they either didn't do much to improve them, or maxed out what they could do. The graphics along with the controls is what made people gravitate towards this series.

As for the screenshot, if they are going towards revamping the hitting yet again it's kind of depressing. The game obviously needs it, but to have to revamp the hitting once again is a slap in the face to us. For the past 3 years they've come out and talked about how they worked with a Russian physicist and you will no longer see players flying through the air. Obviously this is just one screen shot and I'm making a big deal about it, but overall it would tick me off a little because of all the effort they said they put into hitting the past few years. We shall find out Monday.
 
# 6 CaptainSuperman @ 04/12/13 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Factory
One thing that bothers me about the NHL series and most sports games is the repeated animations in the crowd. In NHL 13, because there are so many panned out crowd shots it's totally distracting to see the canned repeated animations timed exactly the same, and I can already tell that it doesn't look like they've fixed this. It looks like they use a six person by six person block and then repeat it with different clothes. Seems minor but it totally takes away from the immersive experience.

The players jerseys look to have better lighting and shading though, I just wish most sports games would give some care and focus on the crowds to really capture the feel of the game.

I hope GameFace makes it into NHL 14 too. AND custom logos to create-a-team. I want to create the Charleston Chiefs from Slap Shot!
So you would rather the developers spend their time working on a non-gameplay feature, than actual gameplay? Of course, I'm referring to the crowd. I do want custom logos and such, or at least MORE
 
# 7 ericromain @ 04/12/13 06:50 PM
I'm giving EA NHL a mulligan for this year no matter what, i'm not expecting much, i imagine they're going to be focused on tooling up the game for next gen for NHL 15. I'll still buy 14.
 
# 8 TreyIM2 @ 04/12/13 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I see the crowd are following the action closely once again!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! Too funny but u know that's not coming til next gen.


As for what I believe this pic is referencing it the Infinity Engine, hopefully the second coming of it as per NCAA14, and most likely Madden 25.

We'll see come Monday.
 
# 9 blinkfan77 @ 04/12/13 11:09 PM
No more players BOUNCING off of the ice from checks. It's ice.
 
# 10 geisterhome @ 04/13/13 02:27 AM
the game will suck again
 
# 11 koolaid251 @ 04/13/13 08:24 AM
The Crowd is diverse and lively.
 
# 12 speels @ 04/13/13 09:57 AM
Obviously they spent some time working on hitting, but what I really like fro that screenshot is the fact that if you look really hard at the hit, you see no clipping at all. Every part of Phaneuf and Plekanec is there. It actually looks like to solid beings hitting each other. Hopefully that will work for sticks and legs and such this year.

I was disappointed with this years game, but I love hockey and know that this is a transitional year for the NHL game. All I hope is that they tell us if NHL 14 will launch with the PS4 so I don't have to buy 2 copies!!
 
# 13 Money99 @ 04/13/13 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I see the crowd are following the action closely once again!!!
LOL!
But you failed to take in the fact that Phaneuf is on the ice. Which means he's out of position and hitting someone 80' away from the play, while the puck is around his net.
 
# 14 Feldman011teen @ 04/13/13 05:10 PM
To improve the game, they would almost have to go back to square one, and that's not gonna happen. I expect a roster update and more Ultimate Team filler crap.
 
# 15 Bosborne @ 04/13/13 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
Obviously they spent some time working on hitting, but what I really like fro that screenshot is the fact that if you look really hard at the hit, you see no clipping at all. Every part of Phaneuf and Plekanec is there. It actually looks like to solid beings hitting each other. Hopefully that will work for sticks and legs and such this year.

I was disappointed with this years game, but I love hockey and know that this is a transitional year for the NHL game. All I hope is that they tell us if NHL 14 will launch with the PS4 so I don't have to buy 2 copies!!
lmao no duh dude, movie trailers don't get released with the green screen still in it do they? im sure nhl 13 didnt have screenshots of players flying into the stands but that sure happens
 
# 16 Cycloniac @ 04/13/13 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
Ugh..nothing to see here
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully Monday's a bit more interesting.

For goodness sakes EA, instead of trying to fix the hitting engine (again), invest some time and money on - wait for it - presentation. Please?

Fixing the Sabres' home jersey color would be nice too, by the way; noticed that during today's Flyers-Sabres game, again.
 
# 17 13whitebread @ 04/13/13 11:11 PM
I think maybe with Montreal vs Toronto this could symbolize a rival element like when you watch an NBC broadcast that feature rival clubs on prime time. And with this being said maybe just maybe this means a NBC style presentation and I hope maybe the announcers will change to a NBC crew. Maybe a reach but one more day till we find out.
 
# 18 gamerk2 @ 04/14/13 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Agreed, even in a game like MLB the Show you see that problem. Where randomly in the crowd 6 people who all look the same will do the same action at the same time and it stands out because usually none of the people around them are doing anything.
To be fair though, the PS3 is VERY RAM limited. And that probably affects multi-platform games to a fair degree too (you don't want different specs for different consoles; very hard to manage). Thats one area that should improve somewhat next gen.

Anyway, I actually like if they focused on the hitting engine. In 13, you can either hit, or you can't. And lets face it, its VERY hard to do in the open ice. If they get it right, its a huge change in gameplay by itself.
 
# 19 clarkkent70 @ 04/14/13 05:11 AM
I've seen this mentioned a few times around forums that they wish arenas would be more authentic, and the arena horns. I've also heard some people mentioning their need for better crowds and in game experiences, presentation, and talking about limitations of the console generation.

I read these things from a developer to the community, which I think addresses those. The issue with horns and arenas is mostly due to licensing issues, and not being given the rights to integrate it into the game. It's not that EA doesn't bother, or that they don't want it as much as you.

As for crowd detail, and things the call for presentation improvement, they did say that's why there is only one game official, that they need to stay at one game official due to performance issues until the next generation. I think that might be why we're not seeing graphics advancements to some degree.

Personally simple math's idea on what the picture shows makes a lot of sense.
 
# 20 Cubfan @ 04/14/13 06:21 AM
For god sake EA work on your presentation. Looks like maybe something to do with hitting from the screen shot.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.