Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post


IGN has posted their NCAA Football 14 preview, as well as a video interview with Producer, Ben Haumiller.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 52 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 spanky911 @ 04/03/13 01:08 PM
It is an interesting perspective to see fan response from the developer's eyes. He mentions kind of being "damned if you do, damned if you don't". I kind of see where he's coming from in a lot of the game aspects, especially finding the balance between creating a sim game vs. an arcade game. I noticed a few comments from yesterday about how people would skip this year's game based off of one screenshot. I mean, come on...
 
# 2 CM Hooe @ 04/03/13 01:16 PM
Calling plays based on personnel groups? Hallelujah.
 
# 3 moylan1234 @ 04/03/13 01:18 PM
I'm sure it might be a good article, but I couldn't read past "Madden 13 was great"
 
# 4 jpdavis82 @ 04/03/13 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
I'm sure it might be a good article, but I couldn't read past "Madden 13 was great"
Just watch the video, that's all that really matters
 
# 5 SteelerSpartan @ 04/03/13 01:26 PM
There a few new gameplay clips in the video interview that aren't seen in the 1st gameplay trailer
 
# 6 bonannogiovanni @ 04/03/13 01:55 PM
To be honest I didn't see the foot planting I'd like.
 
# 7 moylan1234 @ 04/03/13 02:04 PM
Is it possible for someone to youtube or embed the video? I can't get it to play at all.
 
# 8 noplace @ 04/03/13 02:14 PM
Can someone upload this to youtube?
 
# 9 Big FN Deal @ 04/03/13 02:45 PM
My favorite part was the mention of hand fighting and procedural awareness so players are aware of other players when moving through traffic. Hopefully this transitions to the WR/DB interactions too. Least favorite part was the end discussion about that dreaded "balance" of "fun" vs realism, please just let that notion go, realism IS fun in a sim. The straw man of an unexpected fumble in a big game as a reason for capping capable realism should stop. Fumbles and mishaps period are a part of football, so there needs to be variety in a football game, not just oversimplified win/loss.

For example, there can't be just two shotgun snap animations, one that playsout for a high snap over the QB and one for a successful snap. There needs to be several types of snaps ranging from ideal to potentially disastrous. In a basketball video game with passes and lobs for dunks, there are variations of these things in-game so when one of these result in a complete mishap, ie pass flying well over the intended targets head, it seems dynamic and organic, not like a win/loss dice roll.

For all the strides they seem to be making that "fun" balance POV is still holding EA football games back from being as good as the top sports sims, imo.
 
# 10 UMhester04 @ 04/03/13 02:47 PM
Is Greg the guy that reviews the football games????? At the end of the video he says "the game is getting too real" and "i like to just put a WR and TE and drop back and throw a 50 yd hail mary"


Well if that didn't solidify why people don't listen to those reviews, then I don't know what else will. I truly hope that the developers don't listen to those type of people.
 
# 11 NicoFrost @ 04/03/13 03:13 PM
For a moment I wondered if they were brothers. It was like Haumiller and Haumiller in glasses.

Not hating. just an observation
 
# 12 krildog @ 04/03/13 04:08 PM
ND's helmets still look lousy in the dark based on that video. FIX IT.
 
# 13 Gotmadskillzson @ 04/03/13 04:08 PM
Procedural awareness ? Oh God I hope that means the scrambling QB and returners on special teams don't run directly into defenders anymore and actually try to AVOID being tackled. Last year in the beginning that had scrambling QBs done right, then they broke it with their patches to the point every time the QB tried to scramble he went directly into the defensive tackle.

But anyway, nothing pissed me off more then to punt the ball, they would have all this space to the left and to right of them and they would just run up the middle into 3 defenders.
 
# 14 Big FN Deal @ 04/03/13 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Procedural awareness ? Oh God I hope that means the scrambling QB and returners on special teams don't run directly into defenders anymore and actually try to AVOID being tackled. Last year in the beginning that had scrambling QBs done right, then they broke it with their patches to the point every time the QB tried to scramble he went directly into the defensive tackle.

But anyway, nothing pissed me off more then to punt the ball, they would have all this space to the left and to right of them and they would just run up the middle into 3 defenders.
I listened again and he seems to say "conceptual awareness", not procedural awareness, so my bad. In some other video they do claim that the CPU will utilize moves though and learn through a new "real AI" tech circa FIFA/NHL, so hopefully that works out.
 
# 15 Ziza9Noles94 @ 04/03/13 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
My favorite part was the mention of hand fighting and procedural awareness so players are aware of other players when moving through traffic. Hopefully this transitions to the WR/DB interactions too. Least favorite part was the end discussion about that dreaded "balance" of "fun" vs realism, please just let that notion go, realism IS fun in a sim. The straw man of an unexpected fumble in a big game as a reason for capping capable realism should stop. Fumbles and mishaps period are a part of football, so there needs to be variety in a football game, not just oversimplified win/loss.

For example, there can't be just two shotgun snap animations, one that playsout for a high snap over the QB and one for a successful snap. There needs to be several types of snaps ranging from ideal to potentially disastrous. In a basketball video game with passes and lobs for dunks, there are variations of these things in-game so when one of these result in a complete mishap, ie pass flying well over the intended targets head, it seems dynamic and organic, not like a win/loss dice roll.

For all the strides they seem to be making that "fun" balance POV is still holding EA football games back from being as good as the top sports sims, imo.
I can't disagree with anything you've said. I also feel that more realism is fun. I think though the conflict comes into play when execs see the potential to market beyond us/the hardcore. I imagine some suit, fresh from a board meeting or marketing/sales mtg., stops by and says something like, "Ben, how can we expand our demographic and increase sales? The hardcore players are locked in. How can we make it less intimidating for the casual crowd to jump in." Then you get the developers trying to balance arcade "fun" with sim realism.
 
# 16 slickkill77 @ 04/03/13 05:48 PM
You guys have to realize that he has a point. We demand realism to the T with every sports game we play no matter what it is, but most guys/girls aren't hardcore sim players. Most people are casual buy Madden every year because they want to sling it around type people. We make up a small group of the people that buy this game and/or Madden. We are just the more vocal goup
 
# 17 Big FN Deal @ 04/03/13 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
he har

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I also feel that more realism is fun. I think though the conflict comes into play when execs see the potential to market beyond us/the hardcore. I imagine some suit, fresh from a board meeting or marketing/sales mtg., stops by and says something like, "Ben, how can we expand our demographic and increase sales? The hardcore players are locked in. How can we make it less intimidating for the casual crowd to jump in." Then you get the developers trying to balance arcade "fun" with sim realism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
You guys have to realize that he has a point. We demand realism to the T with every sports game we play no matter what it is, but most guys/girls aren't hardcore sim players. Most people are casual buy Madden every year because they want to sling it around type people. We make up a small group of the people that buy this game and/or Madden. We are just the more vocal goup
I understand and respect the business side of it but that shouldn't mean everyone is forced to play within their subjective balance, there should be options/settings, not just sliders. In that video he specifically uses balancing things as reasoning for not having something like fumbled snaps but instead they should be in the game with an option to disable them. I am not suggesting they create a toggle for every little detail, just simply one toggle option for "variance" or "human error", that can be turned off or on.

That's the kind of approach I think they need to take, including, an all encompassing simulation setting where the balance for realism vs fun is removed and the game is preset to play as realistic as possible.

Anyway, that's been my battle cry for a long time but it's still good to see the things they have added. I am just concerned about that fun balance watering this stuff done in the final build.
 
# 18 SaintBrees @ 04/03/13 06:30 PM
One interesting thing I saw in this article, is there is going to be a stamina meter per play and stamina is going to play a bigger role throughout the game. Hold on to that sprint button every play and you wont have any energy in the 4th.
 
# 19 CcAaRrSsOoNn3 @ 04/03/13 06:37 PM
NO MORE SOCK GLITCH!?!?


Thank you Jesus!!!!
 
# 20 boxboy99 @ 04/03/13 06:40 PM
I get they want to balance fun versus realism. In light of that, I think botched snaps would be fun and part of the game. On of my best memories in football gaming was watching a snap sail over my quarterbacks head in APF 2k8. I only seen it happen once and didn't even know it could happen. It was shocking to see. It would be okay to add if it rarely happened and there was an option to turn it off. Although poor snaps could making recruiting and who you play at center more interesting.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.