Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post


Interested in MLB 13 The Show player ratings? Our friend chrisjohnson83 (with the only confirmed copy of the game so far) has provided them to us. Below are the top rated players at each position, to see the rest of the player ratings, check out the MLB 13 The Show screenshots page.

Updated rosters will no doubt be released before the March 5th release date, so keep that in mind.

Top Rated Players at Each Position

Top Rated First Basemen
  • 99 Albert Pujols, Angels
  • 98 Joey Votto, Reds
  • 95 Prince Fielder, Tigers
  • 94 Paul Konerko, White Sox
  • 93 Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers
  • 92 Corey Hart, Brewers
  • 92 Allen Craig, Cardinals
  • 91 Mark Teixeira, Yankees
  • 89 Mike Napoli, Boston
  • 88 Ryan Howard, Phillies
Top Rated Second Basemen
  • 99 Robinson Cano, Yankees
  • 98 Dustin Pedroia, Boston
  • 95 Ian Kinsler, Rangers
  • 93 Brandon Phillips, Reds
  • 90 Jose Altuve, Astros
  • 89 Ben Zobrist, Rays
  • 88 Chase Utley, Phillies
  • 88 Omar Infante, Tigers
  • 87 Emilio Bonifacio, Blue Jays
  • 87 Howie Kendrick, Rangers
Top Rated Third Basemen
  • 99 Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
  • 96 Adrian Beltre, Rangers
  • 93 Evan Longoria, Rays
  • 93 David Wright, Mets
  • 91 Chase Headley, Padres
  • 91 Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals
  • 89 Aramis Ramirez, Brewers
  • 88 Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
  • 86 Pablo Sandoval, Giants
  • 85 Michael Young, Phillies
  • 85 David Freese, Cardinals
Top Rated Shortstops
  • 99 Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
  • 95 Jose Reyes, Blue Jays
  • 93 Jimmy Rollins, Phillies
  • 90 Derek Jeter, Yankees
  • 90 Starlin Castro, Cubs
  • 88 Elvis Andrus, Rangers
  • 88 Rafael Furcal, Cardinals
  • 88 Hanley Ramirez, Dodgers
  • 85 Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians
  • 85 Erick Aybar, Angels
Top Rated Catchers
  • 99 Buster Posey, Giants
  • 98 Yadier Molina, Cardinals
  • 94 Carlos Ruiz, Phillies
  • 93 Joe Mauer, Twins
  • 93 Matt Wieters, O's
  • 87 Salvador Perez, Royals
  • 88 Brian McCann, Braves
  • 86 A.J. Pierzynski, Rangers
  • 86 Jonathan Lucroy, Brewers
  • 86 Wilin Rosario, Rockies
Top Rated Left Fielders
  • 99 Mike Trout, Angels
  • 99 Ryan Braun, Brewers
  • 99 Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
  • 92 Yoenis, Cespedes, Oakland
  • 91 Matt Holliday, Cardinals
  • 87 Bryce Harper, Nationals
  • 86 Alfonso Soriano, Cubs
  • 86 Justin Upton, Braves
  • 85 Alex Gordon, Royals
  • 85 Josh Willingham, Twins
  • 85 David Murphy, Rangers
Top Rated Center Fielders
  • 99 Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
  • 99 Matt Kemp, Dodgers
  • 94 Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston
  • 91 Adam Jones, O's
  • 88 B.J. Upton, Braves
  • 87 Curtis Granderson, Yankees
  • 86 Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
  • 85 Coco Crisp, Oakland
  • 84 Austin Jackson, Tigers
  • 84 Angel Pagan, Giants
Top Rated Right Fielders
  • 99 Josh Hamilton, Angels
  • 98 Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
  • 98 Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
  • 95 Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
  • 93 Nelson Cruz, Rangers
  • 93 Jay Bruce, Reds
  • 91 Jason Heyward, Braves
  • 90 Alex Rios, White Sox
  • 90 Hunter Pence, Giants
  • 89 Torii Hunter, Tigers
  • 89 Ichiro Suzuki, Yankees
Top Rated Designated Hitters
  • 94 Billy Butler, Royals
  • 91 David Ortiz, Boston
  • 88 Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays
  • 85 Kevin Youkilis, Yankees
  • 85 Victor Martinez, Tigers
  • 85 Kendrys Morales, Mariners
  • 84 Lance Berkman, Rangers
  • 83 Mark Trumbo, Angels
Top Rated Pitchers
  • 99 Jusin Verlander, Tigers
  • 99 Felix Hernandez, Mariners
  • 99 Stephen Strasburg, Nationals
  • 99 Aroldis Chapman, Reds
  • 99 Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
  • 97 David Price, Rays
  • 96 Chris Sale, White Sox
  • 96 Cliff Lee, Phillies
  • 96 C.C. Sabathia, Yankees
  • 96 Yu Darvish, Rangers
  • 96 Adam Wainwright, Cardinals
  • 95 Matt Kain, Giants
  • 95 Kris Medlen, Braves
  • 94 Rafael Betancourt, Rockies
  • 94 Mat Latos, Reds
  • 94 Zack Greinke, Dodgers
  • 94 Roy Halladay, Phillies
  • 94 Cole Hamels, Phillies
  • 94 Josh Johnson, Blue Jays
  • 94 James Shields, Royals
  • 93 Jered Weaver, Angels
  • 93 R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays
  • 90 Jake Peavy, White Sox
Top Rated Closers
  • 99 Craig Kimbrel, Braves
  • 97 Mariano Rivera, Yankees
  • 95 Jonathan Papelbon, Phillies
  • 96 Jason Motte, Cardinals
  • 95 Joel Hanrahan, Boston
  • 94 Sergio Romo, Giants
  • 93 Fernando Rodney, Rays
  • 93 J.J. Putz, Dbacks
  • 93 Greg Holland, Royals
  • 90 Glen Perkins, Twins
  • 92 Steve Cishek, Marlins
  • 92 John Axford, Brewers
  • 92 Tom Wilhelmsen, Mariners
  • 91 Grant Balfour, Oakland
  • 91 Joe Nathan, Rangers
  • 90 Ryan Madson, Angels
  • 89 Jose Veras, Astros
  • 88 Chris Perez, Indians
To see all the MLB 13 The Show player ratings, check out the screenshots. Thanks again to chrisjohnson83, you can follow him on Twitter, right here.

MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 34 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 DanH35 @ 02/26/13 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Time to go back to the drawing board for your ratings system when Darvish with his one ok year is rated higher than both Jered Weaver and Matt Cain who each have had much better seasons than his one year for each of the past 3 years. There isn't enough peripheral stats in the world to justify that balance.
Looking at some of the stats, I'd pick Darvish over the other two. Going on last year's stats, Darvish had 5.1 fWAR, Cain had 3.8 (his career high was 5.0), and Weaver had 3.0 (his career high was 5.6). The only stat that I looked at where Cain and Weaver are clearly better was BB/9, where they were both 2 walks per 9 better than Darvish. Darvish had a clear advantage in K/9, in 2012, Darvish was at 10.4, Cain was 7.9, and Weaver was 6.7. They were all close in average against. Even though he pitches in a better hitters park, Darvish has a lower HR/9 (.66) than Cain (.86) and Weaver (.95).

I know that Darvish has only put those numbers up for one year, but in the past, The Show seemed to under-rate players with less experience, and I'm actually glad to see players like Harper, Trout, Medlen, and Darvish being given credited for the numbers they have put up.
 
# 102 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH35
Looking at some of the stats, I'd pick Darvish over the other two. Going on last year's stats, Darvish had 5.1 fWAR, Cain had 3.8 (his career high was 5.0), and Weaver had 3.0 (his career high was 5.6). The only stat that I looked at where Cain and Weaver are clearly better was BB/9, where they were both 2 walks per 9 better than Darvish. Darvish had a clear advantage in K/9, in 2012, Darvish was at 10.4, Cain was 7.9, and Weaver was 6.7. They were all close in average against. Even though he pitches in a better hitters park, Darvish has a lower HR/9 (.66) than Cain (.86) and Weaver (.95).

I know that Darvish has only put those numbers up for one year, but in the past, The Show seemed to under-rate players with less experience, and I'm actually glad to see players like Harper, Trout, Medlen, and Darvish being given credited for the numbers they have put up.
Well, Trout had Slugging at .598 and OPS at .998 and has power versus righties at 72.
 
# 103 seanjeezy @ 02/26/13 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Time to go back to the drawing board for your ratings system when Darvish with his one ok year is rated higher than both Jered Weaver and Matt Cain who each have had much better seasons than his one year for each of the past 3 years. There isn't enough peripheral stats in the world to justify that balance.
In The Show, ERA (which is what you seem to basing your argument on) is not an attribute, but K/9, BB/9, H/9, and HR/9 are... Darvish has a much higher K rate, lower HR rate, and a comparable average against compared to Weaver and Cain. He has a much higher walk rate but that's offset by the huge difference in strikeouts. Darvish also has much better stuff, so him being rated higher makes sense to me...
 
# 104 cardinalbird7 @ 02/26/13 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Time to go back to the drawing board for your ratings system when Darvish with his one ok year is rated higher than both Jered Weaver and Matt Cain who each have had much better seasons than his one year for each of the past 3 years. There isn't enough peripheral stats in the world to justify that balance.
I'd take Darvish any day over Cain. Weaver it is close. Darvish pitches in one of the better hitter's parks and had incredible numbers. His strikeouts per nine was crazy!
 
# 105 cardinalbird7 @ 02/26/13 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Well, Trout had Slugging at .598 and OPS at .998 and has power versus righties at 72.
Trout also had nearly a .600 SLG vs RHP. I projected him to have 90+ power, but I also bet a lot of his SLG points were due to his speed. I still feel like 72 is too low though. Curious to see what he hits vs lefties, because his SLG was nearly .100 lower.
 
# 106 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Trout also had nearly a .600 SLG vs RHP. I projected him to have 90+ power, but I also bet a lot of his SLG points were due to his speed. I still feel like 72 is too low though. Curious to see what he hits vs lefties, because his SLG was nearly .100 lower.
What I posted above was Trout's numbers last year against righties. I also feel 72 versus righties for power is too low. I wonder what they gave Harper?
 
# 107 cardinalbird7 @ 02/26/13 03:28 PM
Maybe they look at more than just SLG when it comes to power. A guy with 99 contact, 50 power, 99 speed playing at a big park would probably post a better slugging than someone with 70 contact 90 power 20 speed or something along those lines.

Theoretically, a great single hitter could have a slugging near .500-.600 range, but I don't think that justifies them being a 90+ in power.

With all that being said though, Trout did have 30+ HR's, so hopefully he will be 80+ against RHP with the updates.
 
# 108 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Maybe they look at more than just SLG when it comes to power. A guy with 99 contact, 50 power, 99 speed playing at a big park would probably post a better slugging than someone with 70 contact 90 power 20 speed or something along those lines.

Theoretically, a great single hitter could have a slugging near .500-.600 range, but I don't think that justifies them being a 90+ in power.

With all that being said though, Trout did have 30+ HR's, so hopefully he will be 80+ against RHP with the updates.
From what I saw, Trout has 93 for speed.
 
# 109 cardinalbird7 @ 02/26/13 03:39 PM
I saw too. I was just being hypothetical.
 
# 110 bautistabomb @ 02/26/13 04:54 PM
For the most part I think the rating for the Blue Jays are pretty accurate. A think Boni is rated a bit too high at 87, yet Lawrie is too low at 80. Would have also given Dickey a 97-98 rating as he did win the CY Young and was arguably the best pitcher in baseball the last 2 years. Overall i'm pretty satisfied and I like the fact that any player can be edited anyway. I still think that video games in general rate veterans way too highly. No way Arod and Jeter should be that high. They are both over the hill and have dropped off dramatically in the last few years.
 
# 111 bayman @ 02/26/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
In The Show, ERA (which is what you seem to basing your argument on) is not an attribute, but K/9, BB/9, H/9, and HR/9 are... Darvish has a much higher K rate, lower HR rate, and a comparable average against compared to Weaver and Cain. He has a much higher walk rate but that's offset by the huge difference in strikeouts. Darvish also has much better stuff, so him being rated higher makes sense to me...
Ok fine I won't base my argument on ERA, which is a far more telling number of a pitchers contribution to his team winning the game then any of the things anyone else has pointed to. I'll point out the huge difference in WHIPs, which is again a far more telling stat of which player actually helps win the game. Pointing out K/9 is like saying that the guy in the NBA who scores 10 points is better than the guy who scores 30, because the guy who scored 10 had more dunks. If the argument is that Darvish has to be rated higher because of the attribute system, then the attribute system needs to be overhauled. Pitching is about getting guys out and not giving up runs period.
 
# 112 seanjeezy @ 02/26/13 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Ok fine I won't base my argument on ERA, which is a far more telling number of a pitchers contribution to his team winning the game then any of the things anyone else has pointed to. I'll point out the huge difference in WHIPs, which is again a far more telling stat of which player actually helps win the game. Pointing out K/9 is like saying that the guy in the NBA who scores 10 points is better than the guy who scores 30, because the guy who scored 10 had more dunks. If the argument is that Darvish has to be rated higher because of the attribute system, then the attribute system needs to be overhauled. Pitching is about getting guys out and not giving up runs period.
And how would they do this exactly? Have a WHIP rating? Nope, H/9 and BB/9 are already in the game. A rating for ERA? Nope, then the game would be scripted as ****, you can't slap a rating on something that relies on multiple components and is highly variable. I don't see any viable choices that I would consider "traditional", even the sabermetric ones are covered by the standard /9 ratings... If you're that strongly against Darvish being better then lower his command, it has a heavy influence on quality of contact, and therefore effects ERA. It won't drop his ratings that much but it will make him less effective.
 
# 113 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
Ok fine I won't base my argument on ERA, which is a far more telling number of a pitchers contribution to his team winning the game then any of the things anyone else has pointed to. I'll point out the huge difference in WHIPs, which is again a far more telling stat of which player actually helps win the game. Pointing out K/9 is like saying that the guy in the NBA who scores 10 points is better than the guy who scores 30, because the guy who scored 10 had more dunks. If the argument is that Darvish has to be rated higher because of the attribute system, then the attribute system needs to be overhauled. Pitching is about getting guys out and not giving up runs period.
That's how I see it as well. Are we in the minority? I don't care if pitcher gets them out via ground balls or strikeouts, an out is an out and a run is a run.
 
# 114 3fiddy @ 02/26/13 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
What I posted above was Trout's numbers last year against righties. I also feel 72 versus righties for power is too low. I wonder what they gave Harper?
Harper has 78 power vs righties. 55 power vs lefties. Screen shot earlier in feb.
 
# 115 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fiddy
Harper has 78 power vs righties. 55 power vs lefties. Screen shot earlier in feb.
I thought that would be the case. Why should Harper have a higher power rating against righties when Trout has higher SLG and OPS against righties for 2012???
 
# 116 pirates1fan @ 02/26/13 06:17 PM
You know I have always kind of felt that the number rating thing is a little stupid, but I don't really have any problem with it. What I don't get is why people get so into it. If you think you can make the rating better, than just go and edit. I sure plan on doing that.

For example, John Lackey, who did not pitch last year and the year before that had an ERA 6.00+, is rated 80. A-Rod, 88. Felix Doubrant had a ERA just below 5.00, and has never done any better than that, 82.

I am not saying I am going to make Lackey, A-Rod, and Doubrant horrible, but I just don't think they deserve to be that high. So, quite simply, you don't like it, just change it yourself.
 
# 117 cardinalbird7 @ 02/26/13 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
That's how I see it as well. Are we in the minority? I don't care if pitcher gets them out via ground balls or strikeouts, an out is an out and a run is a run.
Strikeouts are more reliable and a better indication of consistency found in a pitcher. Groundouts are nice too, but a strikeout is always an out. Groundball and Flyball pitchers rely on some "luck".

Cain and Weaver also pitched in pitcher's parks more often than Darvish did. They are all 3 great pitchers with different assets. Lets just leave it at that...
 
# 118 Cavicchi @ 02/26/13 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Strikeouts are more reliable and a better indication of consistency found in a pitcher. Groundouts are nice too, but a strikeout is always an out. Groundball and Flyball pitchers rely on some "luck".

Cain and Weaver also pitched in pitcher's parks more often than Darvish did. They are all 3 great pitchers with different assets. Lets just leave it at that...
To me it's all about giving up runs. I don't care if pitcher has only 5 Ks and gets a shutout, which to me is better than 20 Ks and giving up five runs. I go with ERAs and Whip and Ks are just a bonus. There have been strikeout pitchers that had both Ks and good ERAs, such as Koufax and Gibson, and I would take either of those against Darvish.
 
# 119 slickkill77 @ 02/26/13 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
No...you cannot unfortunately.

M.K.
Knight165

I thought you guys said during CD that it was an option. Was it taken out or am I just mistaken?
 
# 120 tabarnes19 @ 02/26/13 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
I thought you guys said during CD that it was an option. Was it taken out or am I just mistaken?
We asked for an option to toggle it off, but it was never an option.
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.