Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post


There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 34 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 201 seanjeezy @ 02/14/13 01:38 PM
Ummm... the contact rating in-game is derived from a player's batting average so technically Votto has been better than Pujols in that department... Pujols has more power and perhaps a slightly better glove so his superiority is justified IMO.
 
# 202 WarningTrackPower @ 02/14/13 01:47 PM
Sorry if this has been asked:

Seeing that a player's overall is partially based on the position they play, how would a utility (an utility?? sounds funny haha) player be rated. I assume the overall rating would be based off of their primary position. Do secondary positions come into play at all? Was David Ortiz rated as a DH or a first baseman?

I'm just curious is all. I'm not huge ratings guy. For the most part I know who's good and who's not.
 
# 203 MLB Bob @ 02/14/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Ummm... the contact rating in-game is derived from a player's batting average so technically Votto has been better than Pujols in that department... Pujols has more power and perhaps a slightly better glove so his superiority is justified IMO.
Just because your AVG is derived from contact doesn't mean many other attributes do not affect avg. so comparing contact to contact shouldn't be wrong

I get what you're saying, but the contact rating increases the size of the PCI. AVG in game is affected by discipline(AI or human) vision(AI or human) power (power rating) so correlating contact% with a larger PCI seemed like a better fit for me. When I do my own ratings I do %'s of several of these stats to make a contact rating..the algorithm used, Im sure it is more complex than AVG=Contact in The Show.
 
# 204 seanjeezy @ 02/14/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Just because your AVG is derived from contact doesn't mean many other attributes do not affect avg. so comparing contact to contact shouldn't be wrong
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here... I didn't say average was derived from contact, I said the contact rating in-game is derived from the player's average in real life, those are two separate things. Contact% is more in tune with the vision rating anyway, try giving a player low contact and high vision (and vice versa) and see what happens.

Contact% and batting average have little to no correlation. Miguel Cabrera ranked 32nd in the AL in contact%, yet he was 1st in BA and most likely will have contact ratings in the 90's...
 
# 205 MLB Bob @ 02/14/13 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here... I didn't say average was derived from contact, I said the contact rating in-game is derived from the player's average in real life, those are two separate things. Contact% is more in tune with the vision rating anyway, try giving a player low contact and high vision (and vice versa) and see what happens.

Contact% and batting average have little to no correlation. Miguel Cabrera ranked 32nd in the AL in contact%, yet he was 1st in BA and most likely will have contact ratings in the 90's...
Ya sorry I reversed those in my original post, my bad, my point is that contact is more than a players real avg. And in my algorithm I guess I weight different things, and it plays well. And I thought K% and BB% were more relevant to discipline and vision..Im sure you're right that contact is more based on AVG.
 
# 206 seanjeezy @ 02/14/13 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Ya sorry I reversed those in my original post, my bad, my point is that contact is more than a players real avg. And in my algorithm I guess I weight different things, and it plays well. And I thought K% and BB% were more relevant to discipline and vision..Im sure you're right that contact is more based on AVG.
Yeah I just saw your edit, I personally use Bahnzo's calc (which is probably outdated now...) and it was a straight plug and chug of the usual stats. Average is the main source, but I believe the variability we see year to year in average (I think its +/- 20 points or so) comes from discipline and vision.
 
# 207 CMH @ 02/14/13 08:00 PM
Ah, guys getting worked up about ratings. It's that time of the year.

I will never understand it. So long as the guy performs like he should, why does it matter what his rating is?
 
# 208 merslinger @ 02/16/13 12:36 AM
Can anyone tell me if individual pitches progress and regress this year. Pitchers do get better at certain pitches and sometimes get to old to throw some and are forced to change. I think it would be realalistic
 
# 209 DieHardYankee26 @ 02/16/13 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Ah, guys getting worked up about ratings. It's that time of the year.

I will never understand it. So long as the guy performs like he should, why does it matter what his rating is?
Because if Joe Blanton's control rating isn't exactly 4 points better than CC Sabathia's control rating then everything is out of wack!

Spoiler
 
# 210 MLB Bob @ 02/16/13 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
Yeah, but at the end of the day something is wrong with the overall stats as the components are not adding up correctly. If we look at the last three years which The Show is said to weigh stats for the last three years, yet over the last three years Votto's WAR has made him a considerably more valuable player than Pujols. Somewhere they are making judgement calls about what makes a valuable first basemen that doesn't jive with the actual weight those components have in the real life game.
Baseball America has a chart in the front of their prospect book that scea probably used as a bit of a guide. It ranks the tools by importance by position. And WAR is probably not even looked at. Although I use many sabre stats, WAR is not the definitive stat or even A definitive stat. Looking at the 2 players stats its not that hard to figure out what they use its just a question of weights placed on each stat.

I'm almost certain WAR has very little relation to SCEA ratings
 
# 211 nomo17k @ 02/16/13 12:24 PM
I didn't explicitly ask the question at the CD event so I don't have an answer for this (I should've definitely asked...), but it's entirely possible that Votto was either underrated because of having less playing opportunities in 2012 (the year the most heavily weighted in rating calculation)... Ratings are mostly based off of last 3-year stats (recent year weighted more), but in those cases that take more care, like rookies who don't have enough playing times, missed opportunities due to injuries, SCEA doesn't necessarily follow cut-and-dry formula to come up with ratings.

Also, it's entirely possible that 1B as a power position OVR favors players with more power (i.e., HR here).

There's nothing really wrong with how those are calculated... SCEA just needs to standardize the method and no evaluation method is perfect... in some metrics certain players are overrated, while they become underrated by others... it's just the nature of difficulty in doing player evaluation itself. (that's another reason why true player attributes in game should not be exposed, to simulate how difficult it is to know a person exactly... but I digress, I just want this game to be very realistic too much, hahaha)
 
# 212 hysteria499 @ 02/16/13 01:46 PM
in my opinion i would of only made Cabrera a 99 and maybe a couple others. some of the guys you had up there havnt played a full season to be 99's though have the potential
 
# 213 brewersfan84 @ 02/16/13 05:46 PM
For everyone complaining about the ratings, SHUT UP ALREADY!! Thank you Ramone, for sharing this with us, it's too bad people can't handle information in the same way you gave it out, with respect and decency!
 
# 214 CMH @ 02/16/13 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewersfan84
For everyone complaining about the ratings, SHUT UP ALREADY!! Thank you Ramone, for sharing this with us, it's too bad people can't handle information in the same way you gave it out, with respect and decency!
I can tell you right now this is not how to get it done.

Telling people to shut up doesn't provide the effect you might be desiring.


Sent from my mobile device.
 
# 215 HustlinOwl @ 02/21/13 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA

There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90
so how about those images???
 
# 216 Perfect Zero @ 02/21/13 09:36 PM
This whole conversation is why I've always been for hiding the numbers.
 
# 217 Hayman19 @ 02/21/13 10:14 PM
I never understood the issue with ratings in a game that lets you fully edit any players individual ratings. Simple, if you do not agree, just edit them. The only time it would really be an issue is online but they arent that off to be making a big deal about.
 
# 218 pistolpete @ 02/21/13 10:22 PM
Strasburg (a starting pitcher) has pitched 250 innings in his career and he is a 99 OVR.

What are the odds the Reds are overrated and come away with an overrated minor league system?

There is no team in sports who has had a more over-rated farm system than the Reds traditionally. On the 2k12 re-rate they are a 98 overall. I still remember their crowded outfield of Wily Mo Pena and Joanna Kearns.
 
# 219 TrainerMatt21 @ 02/21/13 11:03 PM
Happy Dusty got some love at 2nd base, guy tears his body up every year with how hard he plays (still only active 2nd baseman with an MVP I think). When Cano plays to his potential, no better combination of offense/defense in the middle infield, but yes, Votto needs some more love.

Don't care about the actual numbers, but when comparing him to others at the same position, probably the best out there. I enjoy seeing how these ratings translate to actual gameplay and appreciate the "taste," thank you Ramone.
 
# 220 vinny_77 @ 02/22/13 12:15 AM
Does a higher rating necessarily mean superiority? The best measure of a hitter that we have IMHO is OBP and SLG, with OBP being about 3 times more important than SLG. By which, Votto is a superior hitter. His stats over the last 2 seasons OBP/ SLG 474/567 and 416/531 respectively. While Pujols had 343/516 and 366/541 respectively. Clearly, Votto is the superior hitter, but Pujols had the best start to a career in history. Isn't it enough to acknowledge that they're both great baseball players? This new ratings system doesn't effect gameplay at all.
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.