Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post


There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 34 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 danzy678 @ 02/12/13 01:54 PM
Awesome thanks for sharing this russell you are the best!
 
# 2 seanjeezy @ 02/12/13 02:04 PM
Hey Russ, is it possible for you to post how the positions are weighted as well, or is that top secret stuff?

Edit:

Hopefully Felix's potential matches his overall this year, last year he was only an A- and regressed heavily the first couple of seasons...
 
# 3 yanksdaniel99 @ 02/12/13 02:09 PM
Also, if you could Russell, could you explain the correlation between player rating & potential ?

For example, a created minor leaguer with an A potential if developed entirely will have a rating b/t 90-99, B potential 80-89 etc etc.
 
# 4 bayman @ 02/12/13 02:11 PM
This is more for the CD guys who may be able to talk about more now, unless Russell wants to answer. With the old ratings, pitchers generally had much higher overalls than position players once you got past the top players. I think this is the main cause for the CPU frequently carrying 15 pitchers and 10 position players. Is this something that was addressed by the new ratings system?
 
# 5 HustlinOwl @ 02/12/13 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Hey Russ, is it possible for you to post how the positions are weighted as well, or is that top secret stuff?
lol pretty sure top secret
 
# 6 seanjeezy @ 02/12/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
lol pretty sure top secret
Lol it probably is, I'm just trying to wrap my head around Altuve being a 90 when he hits for an empty average and doesn't field particularly well...
 
# 7 HustlinOwl @ 02/12/13 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Lol it probably is, I'm just trying to wrap my head around Altuve being a 90 when he hits for an empty average and doesn't field particularly well...
Phillips a 93 makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
every position weights different attributes differently.
 
# 8 Russell_SCEA @ 02/12/13 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Hey Russ, is it possible for you to post how the positions are weighted as well, or is that top secret stuff?

Edit:

Hopefully Felix's potential matches his overall this year, last year he was only an A- and regressed heavily the first couple of seasons...

Top secret but it's common sense i.e. fielding attributes are weighted less for 1st baseman then they are for CF etc...........
 
# 9 Russell_SCEA @ 02/12/13 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Also, if you could Russell, could you explain the correlation between player rating & potential ?

For example, a created minor leaguer with an A potential if developed entirely will have a rating b/t 90-99, B potential 80-89 etc etc.
A player will try and reach his potential overall rating by his prime. Sometimes they make it sometimes they don't. It depends on a few factors.
 
# 10 SA1NT401 @ 02/12/13 02:33 PM
Love how ratings are recalculated....

C'mon 3/5/13
 
# 11 seanjeezy @ 02/12/13 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
A player will try and reach his potential overall rating by his prime. Sometimes they make it sometimes they don't. It depends on a few factors.


So theoretically I can give an 18 year old an A potential and If I set his overall low enough, there's a good chance he doesn't reach his ceiling if I don't train him properly?
 
# 12 yanksdaniel99 @ 02/12/13 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
A player will try and reach his potential overall rating by his prime. Sometimes they make it sometimes they don't. It depends on a few factors.
Gotcha, How do the #'s correlate to the letters ? I'm assuming 90-100 is A overall, 80-89 is B overall etc etc.
 
# 13 mgjohns61585 @ 02/12/13 03:01 PM
Are these the players "overall" ratings?
 
# 14 thaSLAB @ 02/12/13 03:14 PM
The Angels are stacked! LOL
 
# 15 nemesis04 @ 02/12/13 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
The Angels are stacked! LOL
Seriously, I know what team most of the online people will be running to immediately!
 
# 16 Russell_SCEA @ 02/12/13 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy


So theoretically I can give an 18 year old an A potential and If I set his overall low enough, there's a good chance he doesn't reach his ceiling if I don't train him properly?
Pretty much his potential could also randomly change as well.
 
# 17 mhagf4 @ 02/12/13 03:44 PM
How do the player ratings affect player value, as far as trade value goes?

For example, you have Kimbrel as a 99 closer. Relative to other relief pitchers, this rating is probably fair. However, a 99 closer isn't worth anywhere near as much as an 80 Starter (in real life). So, do the player ratings scale with team need?

Hopefully my questions make sense.
 
# 18 metsfan4life1 @ 02/12/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Seriously, I know what team most of the online people will be running to immediately!
For once it isn't the Yankees, such a shame! Lol
 
# 19 RussMac316 @ 02/12/13 04:25 PM
Hey Russell,

Are you guys changing the rating system to reflect these numbers in game or is it still going to be by the "bar" ratings from previous games? (In this case, I'd assume a '99' would be a full orange bar)
 
# 20 Bluejaysfan65 @ 02/12/13 04:29 PM
Love the new rating system and the fact that we use a number system instead of a red bar.
 

« Previous1234567891415Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.