Home
NHL 13 News Post


Puck Daddy has posted the NHL 13 team and player ratings for the Eastern Conference.

In case you missed them, here are the top 5 forwards, defensemen and goalies in the game.

Quote:
Today, we're unveiling player and team ratings for the Eastern Conference. Western Conference teams will be revealed on Friday. All rosters reflect deals since July 1 and major transactions only. Ratings after the jump.

Here's EA's explanation for the new team overalls:

"We changed the team overalls for continuity. If you look at our 'potential' rating system and how we break down the each of the six skill ratings, it is all star based and we wanted to be consistent."

Your thoughts?

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 adayinthelife @ 08/16/12 05:50 PM
Hmmm. Kinda worried about the team ratings to be honest. I hope that this new rating system (stars, or whatever out of 5) is just to simplify things and that the teams actually do perform differently. Just looking at those numbers, I don't really see how any teams are thaaaat much different from one another. There's a differential of only 1 full point there in each of the categories (low being 3.5, high being 4.5). I'd love to see a deeper explanation of this, if one exists.

Also, as a Leafs fan let me be the first to say that they are way, way overrated based on those numbers.
 
# 2 jyoung @ 08/16/12 06:12 PM
I noticed that there's not a single team rated below 3.5 stars in any category. Also, no team is rated a 5 in any category.

It seems like we say this every year, but it would be nice to see more separation between the teams.

One of the reasons why NHL 94 is still a fan-favorite is because the player ratings in that game ranged from 29 - 100 overall, which is a 71 point range.

So far, it looks like NHL 13's players go from 64 - 94 overall, which is only a 30 point range.
 
# 3 canucksss @ 08/16/12 06:39 PM
now my worries is that player differentiation (ratings) is there but how will this translate to the game PLUS if there are really difference between ratings of players...this should also reflect on TEAM ratings right???

Let's just talk about Boston and Buffalo...their goalie ratings:

Buffalo 4.5 rating: Miller 92 and Enroth 77
Boston 4.5 rating: Rask 83 and Khudobin 72

how can these 2 teams have the same 4.5 rating???? okay if you take average of the 2 goalies..Boston is 77.5 and Buffalo is 84.5.... and they are the same??? the only explanation is that if EA range of 4.5 is between 75-85??but again thats not even close in reality. at least make 1 rating point difference for every 10 points (average).


is ea trying not to offend teams of nhl by doing this????
 
# 4 gator3guy @ 08/16/12 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I noticed that there's not a single team rated below 3.5 stars in any category. Also, no team is rated a 5 in any category.

It seems like we say this every year, but it would be nice to see more separation between the teams.

One of the reasons why NHL 94 is still a fan-favorite is because the player ratings in that game ranged from 29 - 100 overall, which is a 71 point range.

So far, it looks like NHL 13's players go from 64 - 94 overall, which is only a 30 point range.
You have to take in consideration that they have lower level teams in the game (AHL, SEL, CHL, etc).

Some ratings that jumped out to me:

Adam Larsson - 84
-Yeah he's going to be good, but he's currently the best defenseman on NJ despite being a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs. Its even more ridiculous when you see Gudbranson is only a 75.

Chris Kreider - 68
-Easily the worst forward on the team. Did they watch the playoffs?

Not sure how Rinaldo (71) has a better rating than Wellwood (68).

Karlsson is an 86 while Letang is a 90. Even if you say Letang is more complete, the gap is not that big considering what Karlsson brings to the table offensively.

Malkin should not be 4 points worse than Crosby.

Matt Carle an 86!!!! To put that in perspective he'd be the second best player on the Flyers behind Giroux. He's a nice player but not a number 1 defenseman and no where near Karlsson as the rating would lead you to believe.

Mike Green is still riding his 2010 season I see.

Tobias Enstrom is tied for the 4th best defenseman on his own team!!! That's crazy.

Looks like a Leafs fan did some of the ratings.

Overall it looks like they are making an attempt to spread the ratings out somewhat. It's a start. Lets see how it plays out.
 
# 5 savoie2006 @ 08/16/12 08:23 PM
You guys have to remember the ratings are now based on player types and such.
 
# 6 gator3guy @ 08/16/12 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
You guys have to remember the ratings are now based on player types and such.
Didn't they say they were getting away from that? They used Parros as an example of how he was an 80 last year as a good enforcer but now he is being rated for the overall package him brings to the ice which makes him a 68 or whatever he is this year.

EDIT: found the quote.
Quote:
How are the NHL 13 player ratings different from NHL 12?
EA: Last year, overall ratings reflected a player's effectiveness based on their player type (ex. Sniper, Enforcer, Grinder, etc.). NHL 13 Overall ratings are based on a player's overall skill based on their position.
Why the change?
EA: It was a fan-requested change that ensured that overall ratings were more representative of a players skill level in real life. A players who is 90+ will feel drastically different than one who is rated 65.
Examples: NHL 12 Parros was an 81 as his rating was based on his player type — enforcer, meaning that he was an above average enforcer. In NHL 13 Parros is an 69 overall based on his skill level as a forward. Chris Neil was an 82 (Grinder) last year, this year he's a 78. With this new overall ratings system, his rating didn't drop as significantly as Parros because he's still a skilled player who can check and score effectively.
 
# 7 ComaFaction @ 08/16/12 09:26 PM
Desharnais didn't get much love (Leino and Lombardi are higher rated!?) this year and this is coming from a Leafs fan!

And yeah, Entstrom being lower rated than Hainsey on his own team?? Really?

All in all, seems like a nicer range among NHLers though, which I appreciate.
 
# 8 kerosene31 @ 08/16/12 09:28 PM
I like that the teams are all bunched up. That's the reality of the league right now. With the parity in the league there's not a lot of difference between the top and bottom.

Overall ratings are overrated anyway. Usually, teams with higher end superstars are always tougher to play against. I'm sure the Pens will be a tough opponent with Crosby and Malkin even though their overall is the same as many other teams.
 
# 9 savoie2006 @ 08/16/12 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Didn't they say they were getting away from that? They used Parros as an example of how he was an 80 last year as a good enforcer but now he is being rated for the overall package him brings to the ice which makes him a 68 or whatever he is this year.

EDIT: found the quote.
...I stand corrected.
 
# 10 Gagnon39 @ 08/16/12 09:38 PM
Hopefully it will play out well but I'm with most of you guys. I'd like to see a bigger discrepancy. This has been the reason that the standings are always a crap-shoot. Too many teams are too close together in terms of skill/rankings.
 
# 11 blaziruku @ 08/16/12 09:47 PM
Its based on global settings, so WHY THE HECK IS RENE BOURQUE AN 84?! So he's better than a lot of decent players (Derek Stepan, for example).

Brodeur at an 82 is also quite disappointing.
 
# 12 bwiggy33 @ 08/16/12 10:16 PM
Does anyone else think that EA should just get rid of the overall player rating? I honestly think they should just have a meter showing how good a player is. So exactly like what The Show has. Their ratings are based on how good a player is at certain attributes. The more attributes that they have a high rating for, the more the meter will be full. So in other words just because a guy's meter is only a little past half full, doesn't mean he isn't good at anything. It may mean he's a really good faceoff man but doesn't have great puck handling/skating/shooting etc. A player like Crosby would be almost completely full because he's an all around great player. I think EA just needs to focus more on what each player is good at in order to bring out the resemblance of how they play in real life.

Maybe this rating system translates better to baseball, but I think it would be a good idea for EA to look at. I just think too much emphasis is being put on the OVR of a player. Ultimately it should really be about the ratings of each attribute that make the player good or bad. Zenon Knopka is a pretty good faceoff man so put his faceoff at 85 but knock his shooting, dekeing, puck handling, etc. down in the 60 range because he's not a goal scorer. If each attribute were emphasized it would also add into the strategy of the game with playing the proper lines at proper times. That's what hockey is all about. Mixing and matching in order to take control of a game, or counter your opponent.
 
# 13 Simple Mathematics @ 08/16/12 10:19 PM
First of all, player separation needs to be greater. Use the full 0-99 scale. Overalls for players should look something like the following:

CHL Players: 0-40
Euro League Players: 0-50
AHL Players: 30-50
NHL Players: 50-99


Second of all, team separation needs to be greater. There is no way the Flyers (even though I love them) should have the same rating for goaltending as the Rangers. And speaking of the Flyers, their offense is rated a 4 while their defense and goaltending got a 4.5. Their offense should be a 4.5, defense should be around a 3, and goaltending around a 2.5.

Third of all, so many players are WAYYY overrated. I'd give all the examples, but it's just way too much for one post. Taking the Flyers for example:

1. The fact that Blair Betts is even on the team anymore is stupid. He's not even under contract.
2. Bryzgalov being an 86 is absurd after that horrible performance last year.
3. Rinaldo is way too high. He should be the worst player on the Flyers.
4. Chris Pronger should not even be there. He will not play, end of story.
5. Pretending that Pronger is not there, Coburn being the best defender on the Flyers is just wrong. Timonen is.
 
# 14 gator3guy @ 08/16/12 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
First of all, player separation needs to be greater. Use the full 0-99 scale. Overalls for players should look something like the following:

CHL Players: 0-40
Euro League Players: 0-50
AHL Players: 30-50
NHL Players: 50-99


Second of all, team separation needs to be greater. There is no way the Flyers (even though I love them) should have the same rating for goaltending as the Rangers. And speaking of the Flyers, their offense is rated a 4 while their defense and goaltending got a 4.5. Their offense should be a 4.5, defense should be around a 3, and goaltending around a 2.5.

Third of all, so many players are WAYYY overrated. I'd give all the examples, but it's just way too much for one post. Taking the Flyers for example:

1. The fact that Blair Betts is even on the team anymore is stupid. He's not even under contract.
2. Bryzgalov being an 86 is absurd after that horrible performance last year.
3. Rinaldo is way too high. He should be the worst player on the Flyers.
4. Chris Pronger should not even be there. He will not play, end of story.
5. Pretending that Pronger is not there, Coburn being the best defender on the Flyers is just wrong. Timonen is.
I know what you are saying but they can't cap the CHL or European leagues at a certain number because some of those guys are good enough to hold their own in the NHL. I'll use Dougie Hamilton a 2011 1st rounder for the Bruins as an example. He's good enough to play in the NHL right now. It would be stupid to cap him at 40 OVR just for the sake of spreading out guys. This is something they did in years previous that I did not agree with. Mikael Granlund for example (2010 Minnesota 1st rounder) was terrible in NHL 12 when he was arguably one of the best players not playing in the NHL.

They need to use a "case by case" basis for ratings. Just rate the player for what he is and not what league he's playing in. One thing that really irked me the past couple years is they would just bump up rookies for no reason other than they were playing in the NHL and not the CHL. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was like a 75 on the default rosters last year and just because he made the Edmonton roster they bumped him up to 83 without even playing a game!!! That's just ridiculous IMO. He should have been an 83 to start (based on what other players were rated. Meanwhile a guy like Jonathan Huberdeau who is talented enough to play in the NHL, but needed an extra year to bulk up, is rated a 70 just because he's playing in the CHL. Sorry for the rant, its just something that bugs me.
 
# 15 tyler289 @ 08/16/12 10:51 PM
Mathieu Perreault has been in the league for a few years now...and EA misspells his name? Seriously?

Hopefully that's just a typo on the graphic.
 
# 16 Vikes1 @ 08/16/12 11:35 PM
The Islanders are sure looking rating wise, like a fun team to try to built up.

I'm hoping to see tomorrow, that there's some decent ratings separation for our Wild players.
 
# 17 bwiggy33 @ 08/17/12 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
The Islanders are sure looking rating wise, like a fun team to try to built up.

I'm hoping to see tomorrow, that there's some decent ratings separation for our Wild players.
Fully agree. I think that after our first line and 2 second line players there should be a dramatic drop off. I'd say Koivu (85) Parise (85) Heatley(82) Seto (80) Butch (High 70's-80 because of injury) and from there on should be all mid to low 70's. Defensively I think Suter should be about an 87 and there really shouldn't be another D man in the 80's. Maybe Gilbert in the low 80's but that's all. I do think Backs should be an 84ish though. He's a very consistent tender despite getting injured. People will probably disagree but when Backs is healthy he's a top 7 goalie in the NHL. He's very underrated but that's because he's so injury prone that people aren't exposed to him. The good thing is that Hards will be one of the highest rated backup goalies. Boy our goalies get the injury bug a lot. I love our duo though. I'm really happy Harding resigned, and he must absolutely love MN because he definitely could be a starter on some other teams in the NHL.
 
# 18 uni91 @ 08/17/12 07:59 AM
So far it looks pretty good and EA is on the right track with the ratings .......but as always they have a few head scratchers!

I've only looked at a few teams so far and my first impressions is that the forwards seem pretty good....but defenseman are a little overrated? Not sure if people agree or not.

How is Justin Faulk and Adam Larsson a 84? They just started last year and had only like 20 points or something. You cant have Karlsson being a 86 and both of them a 84! Also, there is also a lot of defenseman in the 80's that shouldn't be....Adam McQuaid, for example......but it shouldnt take too much work to fix.

As for goalies they probably need a little work but not too bad...

Bryzgalov and Vokoun are overratted - both should be around 85
Brodeur only a 82.....maybe bump up to 84 or 85
DiPietro a 81! wow.....maybe 78 at best! with 44 durability.


All in all it is better than last year.....also, hopefully they got rid of the stupid 75 poise thing where the player would get a 3 point overall jump.....
 
# 19 scala42 @ 08/17/12 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
now my worries is that player differentiation (ratings) is there but how will this translate to the game PLUS if there are really difference between ratings of players...this should also reflect on TEAM ratings right???

Let's just talk about Boston and Buffalo...their goalie ratings:

Buffalo 4.5 rating: Miller 92 and Enroth 77
Boston 4.5 rating: Rask 83 and Khudobin 72

how can these 2 teams have the same 4.5 rating???? okay if you take average of the 2 goalies..Boston is 77.5 and Buffalo is 84.5.... and they are the same??? the only explanation is that if EA range of 4.5 is between 75-85??but again thats not even close in reality. at least make 1 rating point difference for every 10 points (average).


is ea trying not to offend teams of nhl by doing this????
bitter canucks fans still trying to take shots at boston anyway they can i see, don't worry i'm sure schneider and luongo will be overrated in goalie team rating as well as their overall player rating
 
# 20 canucksss @ 08/17/12 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scala42
bitter canucks fans still trying to take shots at boston anyway they can i see, don't worry i'm sure schneider and luongo will be overrated in goalie team rating as well as their overall player rating
was i really bitter about boston??? really???? or are you interpreting based on ur biased opinion and without considering the text of what i just said and facts about the rating????

what im trying to say is about the ratings dude not because canucks lost to boston. the gap is so close or even tied in this matter.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.