Home
NHL 13 News Post


If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Quote:
Software Engineer Brett Peake takes you to the NHL 13 dev floor for a behind the scenes look at how True Performance Skating was created.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jonapaloma @ 08/10/12 12:45 PM
WOW.

The deking they show at the end of the video looks great. That is something I wanted to see a long time in the game. It has looked awful for several years.
 
# 2 crankybaker @ 08/10/12 12:46 PM
Hmm I was hoping we would get word on the demo today..... Maybe not
 
# 3 bad_philanthropy @ 08/10/12 01:33 PM
The skating and deking at the end of the video was fantastic. Really realistic. Hope not every player can pull off those moves though.
 
# 4 adayinthelife @ 08/10/12 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The skating and deking at the end of the video was fantastic. Really realistic. Hope not every player can pull off those moves though.
That's probably where issues will arise unfortunately. My hope is that a player needs to have a certain level of skill in both their skating attributes, as well as their stick/puck attributes to be able to pull off those moves with any sort of regularity.
 
# 5 jonapaloma @ 08/10/12 02:36 PM
Some of those small moves the player does in the video can almost every player do. Its called stickhandling. Something that wasn't there before. At least not so you can notice.

But not all players can do it as good as the best.

This is what I think anyway.
 
# 6 canucksss @ 08/10/12 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
That's probably where issues will arise unfortunately. My hope is that a player needs to have a certain level of skill in both their skating attributes, as well as their stick/puck attributes to be able to pull off those moves with any sort of regularity.
i wish..hope...pray...these kind of moves requires higher attributes and not TGH or lowered rank TWF players.
 
# 7 Broncos86 @ 08/10/12 05:55 PM
Subtle stickhandling has been sorely lacking in the past. This looks very nice.
 
# 8 bad_philanthropy @ 08/10/12 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
i wish..hope...pray...these kind of moves requires higher attributes and not TGH or lowered rank TWF players.
I hope the TGH's are totally redone this year. They are generally irrelevent players in the NHL today, yet the ratings formula forever has tabulated their overall rating in the high 70's and low 80's. I never want to see a TGH in a third line checking role or on the PK unit ever again.
 
# 9 06woz @ 08/10/12 06:53 PM
Wow, the subtle dekes on the left stick should really smooth out those jerky back and forth dekes.
 
# 10 jonapaloma @ 08/11/12 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Wow, the subtle dekes on the left stick should really smooth out those jerky back and forth dekes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Subtle stickhandling has been sorely lacking in the past. This looks very nice.
If someone didn't get it what I meant in my post. It was this I tried to say :P
 
# 11 06woz @ 08/11/12 07:18 AM
I wonder if we're going to see the spin move revamped as a result of the new skating.
 
# 12 Gagnon39 @ 08/12/12 12:11 AM
This is the kind of stuff that makes me realize just how complicated these games are. Some pretty smart people make these games. On a side note, man I miss Versteeg.
 
# 13 gopher_guy @ 08/12/12 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
This is the kind of stuff that makes me realize just how complicated these games are. Some pretty smart people make these games. On a side note, man I miss Versteeg.
Agreed!

I am a Computer Science student so I, and anyone else who has worked with coding, understand how difficult some of this stuff can be.

Hell, some of my simple homework assignments (programs) run about 50-100 lines of code, and sometimes I spend hours trying to fix something wrong with a program. I can't IMAGINE how complicated things get when these guys are dealing with hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

I would imagine it's frustrating for them at times when people complain and say "add this" or "add that!" like it's a simple thing, when in all actuality it may be very complicated.
 
# 14 Gagnon39 @ 08/12/12 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Refreshing to see someone with an insider perspective. I've been guilty myself of thinking "how hard could it be to simply add ______? Maybe EA's just lazy"!

Very good post!
I think we've all been guilty of that. However, most of my "add this or that" has to do with simple graphical elements. Something that doesn't involve, at least to my knowledge, a ton of code.
 
# 15 plaidchuck @ 08/12/12 08:33 PM
My problem here is it looks like there's nothing new but "animations" i.e., there is no real momentum, just more scripted movements. How is it possible a game from 2010 could do this but this one can't?
 
# 16 bukktown @ 08/12/12 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Agreed!

I am a Computer Science student so I, and anyone else who has worked with coding, understand how difficult some of this stuff can be.

Hell, some of my simple homework assignments (programs) run about 50-100 lines of code, and sometimes I spend hours trying to fix something wrong with a program. I can't IMAGINE how complicated things get when these guys are dealing with hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

I would imagine it's frustrating for them at times when people complain and say "add this" or "add that!" like it's a simple thing, when in all actuality it may be very complicated.
Are you at the U? I'm an E.E. student there.
 
# 17 gopher_guy @ 08/13/12 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Are you at the U? I'm an E.E. student there.
Yep! I'm sure we have crossed paths somewhere around the CSci building at some point, lol
 
# 18 captaincan @ 08/13/12 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
My problem here is it looks like there's nothing new but "animations" i.e., there is no real momentum, just more scripted movements. How is it possible a game from 2010 could do this but this one can't?
Its not just animations. When going full speed, you won't be able to turn as sharply. Forcing a tight turn will result in losing balance and falling. Top speed also effected other things like shot accuracy. They've also mentioned going in a controlled glide quite a few times. Hopefully that means there is some momentum to the skating.
 
# 19 Vikes1 @ 08/14/12 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincan
Its not just animations. When going full speed, you won't be able to turn as sharply. Forcing a tight turn will result in losing balance and falling. Top speed also effected other things like shot accuracy. They've also mentioned going in a controlled glide quite a few times. Hopefully that means there is some momentum to the skating.
Yes...these are imo some big time adds to the heart of the gameplay. And very worth while things that this dev cycle will bring.

Imo, with EAC digging seemingly pretty deep into the mechanics of how the game will be played, that's pretty impressive. Especially if it's done well, and while playing vs the cpu...it's hopefully obvious that the AI is dealing with the same physics limitations as the User is.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.