Home
NHL 13 News Post



This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Ben Ross talks about many gameplay enhancements to the game. Please keep in mind this is all human vs. AI, at the default skill level.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 canucksss @ 07/21/12 12:22 PM
looks promising
 
# 2 Cycloniac @ 07/21/12 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Things I noticed immediately:
-New team intros (maybe)

-New goal celebrations via dynamic cameras. It even looks like you can interact with teammates during celebrations, or atleast they celebrate with you this time instead of the generic "skate down the bench, fist pump teammates" animation.

-Less aggressive AI during powerplays (finally)

-More creativity via new skating engine

-Goalies are more dynamic, and are indeed affected by things like momentum and physics

-Realistic broadcast camera, which may even be customizable this year; I noticed two different broadcast camera views near the end of the video

I'm excited already ^^
 
# 3 Cycloniac @ 07/21/12 12:29 PM
Looks like EA lost the rights to Madison Square Garden's name though, I see New York Arena -sigh-

I didn't see United Center either. I thought EA was supposedly getting alot of new arena licenses?
 
# 4 Cycloniac @ 07/21/12 12:31 PM
Bonus: Sounds like Ea has a remixed version of Zombie Nation on their sound track this year.
 
# 5 jyoung @ 07/21/12 12:32 PM
The AI defense still looks really poor and easily exploitable.

Hopefully, that's just a result of the game being played on the default difficulty, which is usually tuned to be very easy.
 
# 6 MFarrer74 @ 07/21/12 12:51 PM
Love the new broadcast view....looks as if the camera actually pans in/out.

Goalie stuff looks cool, like the back-skating stuff too.

All in all, decent improvements, but will only be able to decide once I test it out
 
# 7 I3RIS3H @ 07/21/12 01:07 PM
Disappointed to see New York Arena and Chicago Stadium in the middle of the Ice, but I'm still impressed with the video.

The comments under the video are laughable, I can already see the kids crying because they'll actually have to work to get a goal.
 
# 8 06woz @ 07/21/12 01:34 PM
Wow, that heel turn from Hall looks awesome.

Really seems like you will have to work hard and use some creativity to score in this one. Fingers Crossed!
 
# 9 Therion7 @ 07/21/12 01:35 PM
I'm now excited about the game. The goalie saves from 3mins 20 onwards looked really nice.

Pleased for the broadcast cam guys, looks like their wish has been granted in fine style.

A bit disappointing to see some center-ice licenses missing again but at least it looks as if the blue within the Isles logo has been lightened up at last. It used to match the "Long Island Arena" wordmark rather than the jerseys.
 
# 10 animal829 @ 07/21/12 02:27 PM
Gameplay looks great. But what happen to the upgrades in presentation.It looks like the same entrance for the Rangers.There's no MSG,United Center, the Islanders still play at Long Island Arena, you know they're not going to put in the TD gardens in Boston. So we get 3 of the oringnal six's arenas that a good start to realism in the game. PK Subban has the same generic face.If they are not going to at least make the top 5 players on each team look like themselves then I don't see where their upgrades in presentation are going this year. The rinks still all look the same, the score and time are the same, so where are the upgrades in prensentation.The gameplay does look great and I'm still going to buy it but I just don't understand how every other EASports game continues to get upgrades in presentation except the NHL series.
 
# 11 gomito#10 @ 07/21/12 02:49 PM
the problem is that still not one player ever screws up receiving the pass or trapping the puck... always a perfect touch, same thing when any player is skating with the puck... that means to me almost every player will have a simliar feel bar speed, which really leaves out any type of individuality for the players and leaves the game feeling of no soul.... Seems to run amouck in all EA games
 
# 12 Splitter77 @ 07/21/12 03:01 PM
good video
 
# 13 drewst18 @ 07/21/12 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal829
Gameplay looks great. But what happen to the upgrades in presentation.It looks like the same entrance for the Rangers.There's no MSG,United Center, the Islanders still play at Long Island Arena, you know they're not going to put in the TD gardens in Boston. So we get 3 of the oringnal six's arenas that a good start to realism in the game. PK Subban has the same generic face.If they are not going to at least make the top 5 players on each team look like themselves then I don't see where their upgrades in presentation are going this year. The rinks still all look the same, the score and time are the same, so where are the upgrades in prensentation.The gameplay does look great and I'm still going to buy it but I just don't understand how every other EASports game continues to get upgrades in presentation except the NHL series.
Who really cares about that stuff. Hell I would rather them dummy down the presentation attempts. I am wanting to play a solid hockey game, I would be absolutely thrilled if they didn't take another second to improve the faces of the players and focused all of their energy on game modes and game play.

Especially presentation mentioned. The licenses sucks mostly cause they just cut a huge cost and theres no way we will see any of that, they kinda just said sucks to be you, but really the rest of the stuff isn't even "presentation" The presentation that needs to be better is the commentary

The only time you see the players face is when your going through the long cut scenes that people want to skip anyway. I know around here I am in the minority in terms of online play.

In the end it comes down to I'd (and I assume most people) would rather the player play like his real self than look like him and I think EA is finally getting the message. That looked great.



- The Quick save was fantastic. Loved the blocker sprawling save. Some of them seemed a little over the top but the goalie improvements look great. They were trying to show us something new like the save on the butt, even though its already in the game and just like last year the goalie seems to make it at weird times.

- The skating backwards has me a little worried. Being a BAP/EASHL guy its stupid as hell a guy can back skate end to end with perfect balance/puck control

- Speed looks great but it is starting to look like your going to be able to skate right around computer D

- Love the chop poke! Fantastic addition

- The neutral zone set ups look awesome, but until as long as the puck control is ramped up to completely unrealistic levels it is going to be easy to enter the zone, but regardless the improvements look fantastic should be fun.
 
# 14 pj_28 @ 07/21/12 03:38 PM
This looks awesome, looking forward to this one.
 
# 15 animal829 @ 07/21/12 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
Who really cares about that stuff. Hell I would rather them dummy down the presentation attempts. I am wanting to play a solid hockey game, I would be absolutely thrilled if they didn't take another second to improve the faces of the players and focused all of their energy on game modes and game play.

Especially presentation mentioned. The licenses sucks mostly cause they just cut a huge cost and theres no way we will see any of that, they kinda just said sucks to be you, but really the rest of the stuff isn't even "presentation" The presentation that needs to be better is the commentary

The only time you see the players face is when your going through the long cut scenes that people want to skip anyway. I know around here I am in the minority in terms of online play.

In the end it comes down to I'd (and I assume most people) would rather the player play like his real self than look like him and I think EA is finally getting the message. That looked great.



- The Quick save was fantastic. Loved the blocker sprawling save. Some of them seemed a little over the top but the goalie improvements look great. They were trying to show us something new like the save on the butt, even though its already in the game and just like last year the goalie seems to make it at weird times.

- The skating backwards has me a little worried. Being a BAP/EASHL guy its stupid as hell a guy can back skate end to end with perfect balance/puck control

- Speed looks great but it is starting to look like your going to be able to skate right around computer D

- Love the chop poke! Fantastic addition

- The neutral zone set ups look awesome, but until as long as the puck control is ramped up to completely unrealistic levels it is going to be easy to enter the zone, but regardless the improvements look fantastic should be fun.
Why can't we have both, great gameplay and upgrades in prensentation. They have guys who work in different departments of the game so I don't see how upgrading presentation would effect the gameplay or vice versa.
 
# 16 bad_philanthropy @ 07/21/12 04:56 PM
I wonder if passing is on manual in these vids. If it is, it looks like they upped the user pass default pass speed.
 
# 17 bonannogiovanni @ 07/21/12 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Things I noticed immediately:
-New team intros (maybe)

-New goal celebrations via dynamic cameras. It even looks like you can interact with teammates during celebrations, or atleast they celebrate with you this time instead of the generic "skate down the bench, fist pump teammates" animation.

-Less aggressive AI during powerplays (finally)

-More creativity via new skating engine

-Goalies are more dynamic, and are indeed affected by things like momentum and physics

-Realistic broadcast camera, which may even be customizable this year; I noticed two different broadcast camera views near the end of the video

I'm excited already ^^
I bet not, those are two different cameras, the tradional side cam view and the new broadcast cam, there won't be any customization for fear of frame rate loss.
 
# 18 geisterhome @ 07/21/12 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
Who really cares about that stuff. Hell I would rather them dummy down the presentation attempts. I am wanting to play a solid hockey game, I would be absolutely thrilled if they didn't take another second to improve the faces of the players and focused all of their energy on game modes and game play.

Especially presentation mentioned. The licenses sucks mostly cause they just cut a huge cost and theres no way we will see any of that, they kinda just said sucks to be you, but really the rest of the stuff isn't even "presentation" The presentation that needs to be better is the commentary

The only time you see the players face is when your going through the long cut scenes that people want to skip anyway. I know around here I am in the minority in terms of online play.

In the end it comes down to I'd (and I assume most people) would rather the player play like his real self than look like him and I think EA is finally getting the message. That looked great.



- The Quick save was fantastic. Loved the blocker sprawling save. Some of them seemed a little over the top but the goalie improvements look great. They were trying to show us something new like the save on the butt, even though its already in the game and just like last year the goalie seems to make it at weird times.

- The skating backwards has me a little worried. Being a BAP/EASHL guy its stupid as hell a guy can back skate end to end with perfect balance/puck control

- Speed looks great but it is starting to look like your going to be able to skate right around computer D

- Love the chop poke! Fantastic addition

- The neutral zone set ups look awesome, but until as long as the puck control is ramped up to completely unrealistic levels it is going to be easy to enter the zone, but regardless the improvements look fantastic should be fun.
i care a hell lot abt presentation in sports games!

bad presentation means no fun!
 
# 19 Chad0034 @ 07/21/12 06:03 PM
The only thing I think that might end up being a problem is that backwards skating. I think a lot of people are going to take advantage of the AI with that, and it'll make for a lot of easy opportunities.

Hopefully not, but just from that video, thats my prediction. Other than that I like what I see.
 
# 20 onac22 @ 07/21/12 08:31 PM
Looked very good. Maybe most of the arena names and what not on final product that was just gameplay footage.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.