Home
NBA 2K13 News Post


ESPN has posted their NBA 2K13 preview. Improving collisions is one of the gameplay enhancements that are being addressed.

Quote:
As he flips on the game, the first thing I notice is the quicker pace in "NBA 2K13." Not only are all of the players moving faster on screen, they seem to be running the fast break more fluidly (even dribbling with the ball out in front of their bodies a bit more), and when LeBron swoops in for a dunk and is met body-to-body at the rim, not only do both players hit the floor, but you can tell that a lot of work went into improving the collisions in the game this year by the way LeBron tried to brace himself from the crash landing.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jersez @ 06/11/12 10:01 AM
Too bad its only June
 
# 2 Goffs @ 06/11/12 10:51 AM
So...when a player gets injured will we see teammates go to him to check if he's alright? Right now the way it's done they back of the injured like he got the plague or something....
 
# 3 StraightBaylien @ 06/11/12 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
So...when a player gets injured will we see teammates go to him to check if he's alright? Right now the way it's done they back of the injured like he got the plague or something....
This.

I hate when one of my vital players hits the floor, writhing in pain, and his team mates are standing there with their arms crossed like "all right, we get it. get off the floor." The team mates need to show their concern, the coaching staff as well.

I think it needs to be dependent on how serious the injury... like I would love for say, if its just a twisted ankle, for the player to get helped off the floor... not look hurt until the sub is made, then he sprints back to the bench. haha. But if its more serious, the player is on the ground for a little longer, and maybe even does the commercial wipe, then come back with a result of the injury.


You see, things like this make or break a game. And with the specific talk about the player interactions on the court, it better be good. haha.
 
# 4 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 11:09 AM
I guess he saw the preview of the improved physics/ collisions. Sounds good I think this means you may be able to get charges more frequently if you time it right and you will have to pick and choose when to attack the paint sounds very realistic.

I like hearing about better controls and the fast break. Your CPU AI teammates didn't run good lanes in 2k12 for fastbreaks
 
# 5 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 11:56 AM
(even dribbling with the ball out in front of their bodies a bit more)

As if they didn't do this ENOUGH in 2K12? I don't want to have to not be able to sprint just because there are people in front of me. That's STUPID.

and when LeBron swoops in for a dunk and is met body-to-body at the rim, not only do both players hit the floor

Since when do both players always hit the floor after mid-air collisions, especially if one of them is as strong as LeBron James? What are they thinking over there?
 
# 6 Vni @ 06/11/12 12:14 PM
Why do you say 'always'? He describes what happened once. It can happen.
 
# 7 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 12:19 PM
It's not even a common occurrence. Two players colliding in mid-air isn't even common, but both players crashing to the floor after doing so is even LESS likely.
 
# 8 LD2k @ 06/11/12 12:20 PM
Biggest takeaway for me is here:

Quote:
We really feel like the gameplay experience has jumped significantly from ‘2K12’ to '2K13,’ and that’s what we’re most excited about.”
 
# 9 Drewski @ 06/11/12 12:27 PM
This was my biggest takeaway:

“The biggest thing for us this year is giving you way more control while at the same time not losing anything, and that’s tough considering there are only so many buttons and sticks. But I think we’ve achieved this, and we’ve achieved it in spades. We really feel like the gameplay experience has jumped significantly from ‘2K12’ to '2K13,’ and that’s what we’re most excited about.”

And because the 2K engineers were able to deliver the “NBA” engine far ahead of schedule this year, the game’s production team started gameplay sessions earlier than normal, enabling them to start tuning and tweaking.
-
Looking forward to seeing what gameplay improvements there have been.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
 
# 10 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
It's not even a common occurrence. Two players colliding in mid-air isn't even common, but both players crashing to the floor after doing so is even LESS likely.
Just because you have not seen it does not mean it can not happen. Too soon to be critical of a scene I have not seen with my own eyes. I have been undercut in mid air you have no control of your body. I have seen two players jump and both fall it usually happens when two players are going for a long pass in the air like an interception in football
 
# 11 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I have been undercut in mid air you have no control of your body. I have seen two players jump and both fall it usually happens when two players are going for a long pass in the air like an interception in football
1. You're not an NBA player

2. Two players going for a pass is not even close to being applicable to a shooter/defender situation
 
# 12 Goffs @ 06/11/12 01:44 PM
Hilarious! A snippet of the new collision system on ESPN and we already have a complaint! smdh...and it's only June..
 
# 13 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 01:50 PM
You can say what you want about my comments, but that won't make them invalid.
 
# 14 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
1. You're not an NBA player

2. Two players going for a pass is not even close to being applicable to a shooter/defender situation
True I am not a NBA player but do you think NBA players don't obey physics? Anything can happen I have seen it happen in real life. Some one going up for a one hand slam, defense goes for the block coming across the lane hits arm both fall. It is really not that serious though. I used that as an example because I have seen it happen playing ball. I still say you are being critical of a scene you haven't seen which is silly imo.
 
# 15 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 02:13 PM
When did I say that it can't happen?

The writer of the article acted like it's amazing that both players fell solely because it was a new animation, which is what 2K does way too much. That is, insert pretty animations that don't make any sense in a basketball context.

Say that I'm being silly, come with your little "smh" and all that, but at the end of the day, everybody here knows that I'm right.
 
# 16 silverskier @ 06/11/12 02:22 PM
We'll see who is right and who is wrong, too early to be sure in both sides
 
# 17 stillfeelme @ 06/11/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
When did I say that it can't happen?

The writer of the article acted like it's amazing that both players fell solely because it was a new animation, which is what 2K does way too much. That is, insert pretty animations that don't make any sense in a basketball context.

Say that I'm being silly, come with your little "smh" and all that, but at the end of the day, everybody here knows that I'm right.
I have no problem as long as the animation is not repeated for each and every contact. Let's at least get to the demo phase or actual gameplay video phase to start throwing stones. That being said if every time Wade drove to the lane and he had some contact and he hit the ground and did a roll on the floor or complained to the refs while on the ground, I would say they captured his signature style because it happens that often.
 
# 18 RidirkulousPokes @ 06/11/12 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
(even dribbling with the ball out in front of their bodies a bit more)

As if they didn't do this ENOUGH in 2K12? I don't want to have to not be able to sprint just because there are people in front of me. That's STUPID.

and when LeBron swoops in for a dunk and is met body-to-body at the rim, not only do both players hit the floor

Since when do both players always hit the floor after mid-air collisions, especially if one of them is as strong as LeBron James? What are they thinking over there?
Where did they use absolute terms such as 'always'? You said that, not them.

Players get 'bumped' and 'collide' in mid-air at a pretty common rate in the NBA, it's a bit more physical than you are giving credit for.

Stop acting like your opinions are paramount to ours. Just because you 'think' they have no clue what they are doing over there doesn't mean your opinion is right. Get off your high horse.
 
# 19 Angel_G @ 06/11/12 02:28 PM
Didn't somebody already post this?
 
# 20 RyanFitzmagic @ 06/11/12 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I have no problem as long as the animation is not repeated for each and every contact. Let's at least get to the demo phase or actual gameplay video phase to start throwing stones.
So you think that the fact that it happened in a short gameplay demonstration, plus the fact that 2K is notorious for this, isn't indicative that it's likely to happen more often than it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
That being said if every time Wade drove to the lane and he had some contact and he hit the ground and did a roll on the floor or complained to the refs while on the ground, I would say they captured his signature style because it happens that often.
What does that have to do with two players colliding and both hitting the floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidirkulousPokes
Players get 'bumped' and 'collide' in mid-air at a pretty common rate in the NBA, it's a bit more physical than you are giving credit for.
They really don't. See, because that's what we call a "foul." And in general, defenders try to avoid committing these types of "fouls."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskier
We'll see who is right and who is wrong, too early to be sure in both sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidirkulousPokes
Stop acting like your opinions are paramount to ours. Just because you 'think' they have no clue what they are doing over there doesn't mean your opinion is right. Get off your high horse.
There's no opinion here or waiting to see who's right or wrong. Players don't collide in mid-air often and ballhandlers can sprint without throwing the ball three feet in front of them. Period.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.