Home
NBA 2K12 News Post


2K Sports today announced that the NBA® 2K12: Game of the Year Edition will be available on March 11, 2012 for $49.99 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

For a limited time, the package will be available exclusively at Best Buy stores nationwide. It includes a full retail version of NBA 2K12, the previously released Legends Showcase add-on content and a commemorative poster featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

“We’re always committed to giving our fans great value,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This is a great opportunity to not only get your hands on NBA 2K12, but the terrific Legends Showcase content as well. Gamers and basketball fans alike will love this package.”

NBA 2K12 is the latest installment of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation franchise* and winner of 26 Sports Game of the Year awards.

Legends Showcase enhances NBA 2K12 by allowing gamers to select from more than 300 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Jordan, Bird, Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K12: Game of the Year Edition is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 11, 2012.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 99 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 spankdatazz22 @ 02/16/12 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
You have to reward your loyal customers who bought it on release day (or any time prior to this second release).

If they decide to make the DLC free to everyone, then I'm all for this, but to give late buyers the game and a bonus for $20 less than we had to pay? Well, 2K shouldn't be surprised if they lose some of their loyal customers...
Part of the reason I don't post much is because I think I'm out of step with the overall consensus on the forum. Case in point that 2K should "reward loyal customers" feeling. People that purchased the PS3 when it was released at $599 weren't entitled to some reward when Sony lowered the price. When Nintendo dropped the price of the 3Ds shortly after it's release I don't think most felt entitled to something for their support. I brought a tv that sold for $400 less three months after I purchased it. It sucks, and if a company decided to give me something for purchasing their product earlier rather than later I'd accept it. But I wouldn't expect it or feel entitled to it.

Imo most people purchased this game because they wanted to play it, not because they're "loyal customers". If that were the case perhaps APF or Backbreaker would still be around. If the product was horrible at release I doubt most people would be purchasing it out of the goodness of their hearts as a sign of loyalty.

And just a thought... what about people that purchased the game on day one, and purchased the DLC on day one? Are they entitled to a super-duper freebie? Perhaps 2K should mail them a $10-$20 gift certificate? That is since you're saying those that purchase the game before this special edition comes out should be "rewarded".
 
# 22 2kfanatic @ 02/16/12 12:09 AM
This is so messed up... They treat us loyal fans like this? Why the hell do they want us to be annoyed further? 2k logic is really flawed in so many levels I can't even comprehend.
 
# 23 DJ @ 02/16/12 12:12 AM
I'm fine with the price drop, as it's something 2K routinely does with it's sports titles after several months (they are better than EA at this), but what bothers me is that I was forced to buy the DLC so I could edit Classic Rosters and now that DLC is being given away free.

It's not the end of the world, obviously, but 2K would've been better served to have just given us the ability to edit Classic teams from the jump, and they should've just given us the DLC from the jump as well.
 
# 24 Mr_Riddick @ 02/16/12 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreyes930

2K Sports today announced that the NBA® 2K12: Game of the Year Edition will be available on March 11, 2012 for $49.99 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

For a limited time, the package will be available exclusively at Best Buy stores nationwide. It includes a full retail version of NBA 2K12, the previously released Legends Showcase add-on content and a commemorative poster featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

“We’re always committed to giving our fans great value,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This is a great opportunity to not only get your hands on NBA 2K12, but the terrific Legends Showcase content as well. Gamers and basketball fans alike will love this package.”

NBA 2K12 is the latest installment of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation franchise* and winner of 26 Sports Game of the Year awards.

Legends Showcase enhances NBA 2K12 by allowing gamers to select from more than 300 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Jordan, Bird, Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K12: Game of the Year Edition is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 11, 2012.
^^^^^^^^^^
 
# 25 jimkel @ 02/16/12 01:04 AM
I went out of my way to get PSN card so I could get the downloadable content and all you do is release it free a few weeks later...real class.
 
# 26 coop15 @ 02/16/12 01:26 AM
Still no crew
 
# 27 st0rmb11 @ 02/16/12 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Part of the reason I don't post much is because I think I'm out of step with the overall consensus on the forum. Case in point that 2K should "reward loyal customers" feeling. People that purchased the PS3 when it was released at $599 weren't entitled to some reward when Sony lowered the price. When Nintendo dropped the price of the 3Ds shortly after it's release I don't think most felt entitled to something for their support. I brought a tv that sold for $400 less three months after I purchased it. It sucks, and if a company decided to give me something for purchasing their product earlier rather than later I'd accept it. But I wouldn't expect it or feel entitled to it.

Imo most people purchased this game because they wanted to play it, not because they're "loyal customers". If that were the case perhaps APF or Backbreaker would still be around. If the product was horrible at release I doubt most people would be purchasing it out of the goodness of their hearts as a sign of loyalty.

And just a thought... what about people that purchased the game on day one, and purchased the DLC on day one? Are they entitled to a super-duper freebie? Perhaps 2K should mail them a $10-$20 gift certificate? That is since you're saying those that purchase the game before this special edition comes out should be "rewarded".
I'm not saying we SHOULD be given anything.

and again, I couldn't care less about the price drop - that happens every year with any product (game, DVDs, TVs, PS3/XBOX, shoes, etc.). I'm saying, if you're 2K, sell the game for $49. That's a fine discount. But, these people buying the game late are getting the DLC for free, when all of us who bought the game months ago, will (presumably) still have to pay for it.

I don't think they should reward us a damn bit, but they are, essentially, rewarding the late buyers by giving away something that everyone else still has to pay for.

Realistically, they could have included the DLC for free with the original game, that way everyone who has already bought it would have gotten it for free, and still paid $60. Then, when they "re-release" it, charge the buyers $50, but make them pay an extra $10 for the DLC...2K seems to have gotten it backwards.

What it boils down to for me is this - someone is paying less than I paid, but getting more than I got.

To expand on your TV example - say you paid $400 more for the TV than someone else paid for it, when he got it 3 months later, but the company also added a new feature to the TV; a feature that he got for free, but you have to pay to get it. How is that even remotely fair?
Again, if 2K comes out and says "ok, DLC will be free for everyone once this "Special Edition" game is released", then I promise you, you'll hear no complaints from me.
 
# 28 VladCanada @ 02/16/12 02:27 AM
If this version allowed manual selection of passes like 2k7 id buy it. Of course its not so its still a pass
 
# 29 inkpimp007 @ 02/16/12 03:46 AM
this has to be an all time low. How about FIXING or addressing the issues with the current game rather than pimping out the same game + a poster? Sorry thats just tacky.
 
# 30 Goffs @ 02/16/12 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWuan
And we are all waiting for our 1st PC patch.

Is the poster signed by all 3 legends?
Quote:
Ronnie 2K 2K12 @Ronnie2K .@TheQuietPotato The #NBA2K12 PC Patch is days away not weeks.
8:40 PM - 14 Feb 12 via web · Details

This was a few days ago....

I want the Legends Showcase for the PC as well...
 
# 31 kbmnm247 @ 02/16/12 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
EDIT: This sense that some feel they're owed something because they made a purchase day one doesn't make sense. Verizon released the Motorola Razr around October/November last year; I think it cost $300 w/a new contract. Now they're offering TWO Razrs for less than the price for the original one cost ($200) not even four months later. It's a more extreme example. And yes, it sucks for those that brought day one. But it's the way it is when you leap on something early.

Sports games have a short shelf life. People here complained incessantly when they released the DLC. Now it seems some are going to complain incessantly about this. There needs to be some understanding this isn't an uncommon practice.
Apples and oranges. I even stated I was not upset with the price drop. I'm upset that there is a price drop + these late-comers are getting features for free that (as far as I know) the people who bought the game day one will STILL have to pay for. That's totally different than Verizon having promo packages for an old phone. It would be like if you paid for the phone, bought a bluetooth package for it for $50 and then 4 months later they dropped the price of the phone AND included the same bluetooth package you bought for free. You wouldn't be pissed about that? You wouldn't ask for a credit/rebate on your bluetooth package? I know I certainly would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Part of the reason I don't post much is because I think I'm out of step with the overall consensus on the forum. Case in point that 2K should "reward loyal customers" feeling. People that purchased the PS3 when it was released at $599 weren't entitled to some reward when Sony lowered the price. When Nintendo dropped the price of the 3Ds shortly after it's release I don't think most felt entitled to something for their support. I brought a tv that sold for $400 less three months after I purchased it. It sucks, and if a company decided to give me something for purchasing their product earlier rather than later I'd accept it. But I wouldn't expect it or feel entitled to it.

Imo most people purchased this game because they wanted to play it, not because they're "loyal customers". If that were the case perhaps APF or Backbreaker would still be around. If the product was horrible at release I doubt most people would be purchasing it out of the goodness of their hearts as a sign of loyalty.

And just a thought... what about people that purchased the game on day one, and purchased the DLC on day one? Are they entitled to a super-duper freebie? Perhaps 2K should mail them a $10-$20 gift certificate? That is since you're saying those that purchase the game before this special edition comes out should be "rewarded".
I don't think you understand the point we are making. Once again you are comparing apples to oranges. I don't think anyone has a problem with 2k releasing the game at $10 cheaper than day one. I think that is expected, just like if I went to buy Madden 2011 from Gamestop brand new I'd expect it to be cheaper than $60. The problem is they are including a DLC for free that will still have a cost to those who bought the game day one. That just seems very off-putting to your customers from my POV but in reality, the gaming industry is one where we the customer are treated like crap most of the time anyway so I don't know why I expected any different.

Monopolies hurt the consumer in NFL games, now it's doing the same to NBA games. And people will still try to argue that competition doesn't help out the consumer.
 
# 32 scottyo60 @ 02/16/12 07:36 AM
I paid $40 at Christmas time for mine, but I see where the first day or week buyers are mad. They essentially released half of a game tO those loyal and are now getting less than those people coming in later in the cycle. One has to bet this could hurt initial sales next year.

The Christmas price cut is why I refuse to buy games released in October on unless $40 or less at a sale before Christmast sales.
 
# 33 spankdatazz22 @ 02/16/12 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
I don't think they should reward us a damn bit, but they are, essentially, rewarding the late buyers by giving away something that everyone else still has to pay for.

Realistically, they could have included the DLC for free with the original game, that way everyone who has already bought it would have gotten it for free, and still paid $60. Then, when they "re-release" it, charge the buyers $50, but make them pay an extra $10 for the DLC...2K seems to have gotten it backwards.

What it boils down to for me is this - someone is paying less than I paid, but getting more than I got.

To expand on your TV example - say you paid $400 more for the TV than someone else paid for it, when he got it 3 months later, but the company also added a new feature to the TV; a feature that he got for free, but you have to pay to get it. How is that even remotely fair?
Again, if 2K comes out and says "ok, DLC will be free for everyone once this "Special Edition" game is released", then I promise you, you'll hear no complaints from me.
As I said I know my views don't necessarily reflect the views of the major posters now and that's something I can accept. But I don't see how this is any different from any of the many Game of the Year edition of other games. Unless, 2K is simply being held to a different standard. PLEASE tell me how it's different. I'm looking at my shelf - Call of Duty, GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout. All had multiple DLC releases that were bundled at a lower price point after all the DLC released. That's the benefit you gain of not being an early adopter if you're willing to wait.

The example of my television purchase happens all the time. The reason my tv was cheaper was because they later released the updated model w/better features at the same price point. I mentioned the example earlier of the Droid Razr, which released the same phone with an extended battery life a few months after releasing the original. People can now get two Razrs for less than the price of what the first one cost. The Droid Razr example is more egregious, obviously. But Motorola did something similar with their original Razr years ago. Either way just stating an example.

I'm really not sure what some of you expect 2K to do. They released DLC at TEN DOLLARS. They had no DLC last year. Would it have made more sense to make the Jordan Challenge last year as DLC? Because it seems everything people have gotten "for free" from them at some point is expected to always be free or that they shouldn't leverage the asset in any manner. They went out and made complete legend teams, which are part of the core game, something no other sports dev is offering to my knowledge - and still some are complaining. There are people on this board that say it was a waste of time! And that was offered as part of the core game. I don't know the DLC costs of what the other sports games are offering, but I don't think you can get everything being offered/get a "complete" game for an additional $10.

I've always thought it was well known that if you're willing to wait, you're likely to get more for less. Many times companies offer preorder bonuses where you get free content for getting the game (or product) early. But at some point the game/product is going to come down in price, and they'll likely throw in what was earlier paid content as incentive for purchasing at a later date. I really don't understand the outrage with this one. Your saying you'd be happy if 2K came in and said the DLC is free for those that purchased the game up to date seems somewhat selfish - what about the people that purchased the game AND the DLC? What accommodation is 2K responsible for in that scenario? Because in your example, technically they should be entitled to something more. Or are they entitled to nothing? Again, I don't see these types of expectations being placed on any other sports game dev.
 
# 34 Dice @ 02/16/12 08:47 AM
Does anybody believe that they'll knock out some of the lingering bugs that they have now in this edition? I sold my 2K12 because of the poor CPU AI defense where they double team no one. I just continued with 2K11. If they fixed that in this game, then I might just re-purchase it.
 
# 35 shaq273 @ 02/16/12 08:48 AM
I love basketball , so I brought 2k12 as soon as it came out for 63 bucks ... I really think that they need to give the Legends showcase free to those of us that brought the game at full retail price , I'm sick and tired of video games companies doing this ... you buy game at full retail price , have them add 10 - 30 dollars worth of DLC ... for them to 6 months later drop the same game for cheaper with the DLC inculded. How about if I buy a game off the IOS or Android market most of the time the update is free...
 
# 36 DJ @ 02/16/12 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Does anybody believe that they'll knock out some of the lingering bugs that they have now in this edition? I sold my 2K12 because of the poor CPU AI defense where they double team no one. I just continued with 2K11. If they fixed that in this game, then I might just re-purchase it.
I would highly doubt it, Dice.

The double team issue hadn't really bothered me until I played a few games in Greatest Mode the other day. There's a lot of dominant post players there and every single one I used was never doubled by the CPU. Greatest Mode was really the only reason I was still hanging on to this game, so it may be time to move on.
 
# 37 Pared @ 02/16/12 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsdream
slap in the fact to the community. 2k your fans are here and the DLC should have been free. Dont turn into activision and start doing DLC for every game you make to rake in xtra $. 2k shouldnt turn into a product you are pimping like the COD series is
Funny - people make this claim on something that took a significant of amount of development time yet they are willing to pay for sneakers and jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
The thing I don't get is why does LDK jump into a forum and say "what art updates do you want?"........and then Ronnie 2K says "big surprise coming"......and then ZERO art updates / big surprise is a cheaper version will drop March 11.
And it's their fault for your expectations............? One had nothing to do with the other.
 
# 38 bedwardsroy19 @ 02/16/12 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
And it's their fault for your expectations............? One had nothing to do with the other.
Personally I had hoped for art modifications but the announcement was nearly exactly what I expected.

I think the only thing I really fault 2K for is saying there would be modifications, knows we're excited and looking for them, and hype another announcement that doesn't effect current game owners while leaving the modifications unaddressed.

The big difference for me is expectations and hope. They are giving off false hope with these "announcement coming" tweets but they aren't giving me false expectations
 
# 39 Pared @ 02/16/12 09:59 AM
Problem is - Ronnie isn't the guy to be focused on with these sort of things. His job is to promote - you would think people realize this by now. He goes out of his way to mention other things but it's really not his area.

The focus should be on the Insider.
 
# 40 Jakeness23 @ 02/16/12 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
I don't see the big deal in the price drop personally........and this version doesn't even come out until March 11.

That's a long time after the first release...it's a fair enough time to drop the price.

To be brutally honest...there's enough "returned" and "used" 2K12 copies around to pick it up very cheaply anyway.

You can also get the PC version...which has some incredible mods (free) for as little as $10.

This "re release" on March 11 is marketing and nothing else.

The thing I don't get is why does LDK jump into a forum and say "what art updates do you want?"........and then Ronnie 2K says "big surprise coming"......and then ZERO art updates / big surprise is a cheaper version will drop March 11.

Ummmm...hype everyone up for that? Nice way to piss off everyone who has the game and was waiting on legit art updates. 99% of people following Ronnie 2K would be people who already own the game. Why hype them up with a "big surprise" and then reveal it basically be "guess what it is? we are selling the game cheaper to guys who haven't bought it yet!".

These guys are their own worst enemies. Ronnie 2K should be selling used cars...he's just got zero credibility left in the community. I honestly have no idea how 2K still have him as their PR guy. He's legitimately bad. He's the Toney Douglas of PR...these guys need someone else.

Personally, I won't be buying the 360 version again due to the lack of support. Half hearted roster updates, bits and pieces at odd dates...it's just been a let down IMO.

On the other hand........the PC version is great value for money though and I'll be grabbing it (only) from now on.
Wow, you read my mind... exactly how I've been feeling all year about this game and the people working on it.
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.