Home
MLB 2K12 News Post


Official Xbox Magazine has posted their MLB 2K12 preview. Not a whole lot of info here, with a few screenshots mixed in.

Quote:
For instance, batters will round first base after hitting a clean single rather than running through the bag. Gloves have been given detailed stitching and an appropriately leathery texture. And an outfielder who catches a flyout to end an inning will carry the ball in with him or flip it to the fans in the seats instead of throwing it to second base. Best of all, fielders with plenty of time to throw out a runner on an easy grounder will casually flip the ball over to first rather than always rifle it over as if the World Series depended on it.

As for more important improvements? Last year, we cited a lack of hit variety, repetitive play-by-play commentary, and lack of home runs as persistent annoyances in 2K11. Visual Concepts is directly addressing those issues with revamped ball physics (meaning far fewer soft lineouts to infielders) and an additional 80 hours of new audio commentary on top of what’s already there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RedLine @ 02/07/12 11:12 PM
I noticed "MULTIPLAYER: Up to 4 players on same screen or Xbox Live "

Could this mean they added co-op play this year? That would be a nice addition.
 
# 2 xBravesx @ 02/08/12 12:15 AM
I really hope they focused AND correctly implemented the little things that make baseball great. I believe this is going to be a great game. Intentions of making a great game are good, but results are better. I enjoyed playing 2k11 for the most part, although at times it seemed redundant. Maybe the new addition of variable pitch ratings based on a player's previous at-bats will add to the enjoyment.
 
# 3 bcruise @ 02/08/12 12:32 AM
Both games are playing up their ball physics adjustments this year, it seems...
 
# 4 mpgm @ 02/08/12 12:47 AM
before screenshot.
The it is insufficient with only review
 
# 5 SkillzKillz719 @ 02/08/12 02:09 AM
This is making me feel better and better about skipping 2k11. Because 2k12 is going to be a giant polish job basically. Which I can stand.
 
# 6 rudyjuly2 @ 02/08/12 04:28 AM
These lame previews are getting annoying. The game releases in 4 weeks and both baseball games have probably gone gold by now (or very shortly). What's the hold up on some actual decent info and videos?

As for that preview I don't understand the focus on repetitive commentary. It is true for player specific commentary as you would hear a lot of that every game in franchise mode but overall the commentary was outstanding imo. Lack of HRs? Did the previewer not play with sliders? It certainly wasn't an issue for the user. The only issue the game had with a lack of HRs was with the cpu as they use the contact swing too often which has far too little pop. Crank the cpu power up and that issue was gone. I thought hit variety was pretty decent last year too. Again, very tired of the lame previews.
 
# 7 rudyjuly2 @ 02/08/12 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
From the two tiny clips we've seen already, the game looks the same, looks like it plays about the same, plus they've released their list of improvements and features. What's left to know besides sitting down and playing it?
That's my fear. That they haven't done much and it will play the same. I'm looking for real improvement in specific areas and bugs. Playing the demo and game will be the final judge but I would like some info and videos to bring some optimism for me. So far nothing. 2K has always been fun but also had a laundry list of problems. Funny commercials don't fix that.
 
# 8 rudyjuly2 @ 02/08/12 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnian19
The graphics when you watch the gameplay on that tv looks good...but towards the end if you look at A-Rod for example he looks like some randomly created player
I don't expect changes to the graphics. They aren't great but they aren't horrible and that won't have any impact on my decision to buy this game or not. I hope the base running animations are a lot better though. The game has always felt choppy and had rough transitions between animations.

For me I want to know that bugs are fixed. That fielding and throwing errors will actually be half decent at launch (these couldn't be fixed properly with sliders last year imo). That opposite field HRs will be toned down. That fatigue will be modelled better (especially for short seasons as the fatigue is horribly done there - everyone gets 2-3 rest days between games so you never need your bench really). Injuries were horribly done last year. Not getting fatigue and injuries right really hurts franchise mode.

2K will always have my ear because I love gesture pitching but the long term fun always got hurt by the problems this game had. I don't want to deal with all the little crap they get wrong this year.
 
# 9 Geolink @ 02/08/12 05:39 AM
Will this be the last MLB 2K game?
 
# 10 rudyjuly2 @ 02/08/12 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnian19
controls are a little thing in a game
you can't change graphics crowds by yourself duh
Calm down guys. Everyone has different desires. We all want the game to fit what we want. Nothing wrong with wanting better graphics or a zone hitting system. I want a better hitting system that doesn't promote opposite field HRs.
 
# 11 mpgm @ 02/08/12 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
These lame previews are getting annoying. The game releases in 4 weeks and both baseball games have probably gone gold by now (or very shortly). What's the hold up on some actual decent info and videos?

As for that preview I don't understand the focus on repetitive commentary. It is true for player specific commentary as you would hear a lot of that every game in franchise mode but overall the commentary was outstanding imo. Lack of HRs? Did the previewer not play with sliders? It certainly wasn't an issue for the user. The only issue the game had with a lack of HRs was with the cpu as they use the contact swing too often which has far too little pop. Crank the cpu power up and that issue was gone. I thought hit variety was pretty decent last year too. Again, very tired of the lame previews.
all approve to your opinion.
Information is late always.
They do not open the door.
Also the image,video plentifully is insufficient.
Why does 2k hide?
 
# 12 Bulls321974 @ 02/08/12 07:00 AM
The graphics still hurt my eyes
 
# 13 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/08/12 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
The graphics still hurt my eyes
Must you come into every new thread & take a shot @ the graphics? We know you hate the graphics..
 
# 14 Tomba @ 02/08/12 07:28 AM
The game looks about 90 percent the same graphically. What happened to our beloved MLB 2k7 They could have built on that.
 
# 15 selahsdaddy @ 02/08/12 07:50 AM
i love that this many years in they are still talking about an improvement in the game being that baserunners now round first base on a single instead of running through the bag...hilarious
 
# 16 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/08/12 09:13 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96

Must you come into every new thread & take a shot @ the graphics? We know you hate the graphics..
The same could be said for you and the ad hom comments you direct at people who are merely stating their opionions with regards to what they're seeing and reading about the game. You're a great ambassador for this series Joe, but that's not what these discussion forums are for. You love the game, others not so much. What's the big deal?
Please, people have the right bash, I totally have no problem with that. This series deserves the criticism.

But to come into every New Thread & leave these 1 hit shots on the graphics is getting old & tiring.

This game right now will not be improving graphically. It is what it is. If you want eye candy your not gonna get it until we move to another generation of systems.



Sent from Awesome Phone
 
# 17 Motown @ 02/08/12 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Please, people have the right bash, I totally have no problem with that. This series deserves the criticism.

But to come into every New Thread & leave these 1 hit shots on the graphics is getting old & tiring.

This game right now will not be improving graphically. It is what it is. If you want eye candy your not gonna get it until we move to another generation of systems.

Sent from Awesome Phone

I really can't understand why they can't get their MLB series on par w/ their NBA series? mind boggling
 
# 18 mdiggitydawg @ 02/08/12 09:30 AM
I will say, for me, there is NO WAY this is a launch day pick up. I've been burned too long to do that any more. Don't get me wrong, NCAA and Madden have also moved to that list.

Prove something to me before I spend some money.
 
# 19 nemesis04 @ 02/08/12 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
I really can't understand why they can't get their MLB series on par w/ their NBA series? mind boggling
The same way Sony could not get their basketball title on par with the Show. Different teams running with a different vision/talent/resources. It happens.
 
# 20 Money99 @ 02/08/12 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The same way Sony could not get their basketball title on par with the Show. Different teams running with a different vision/talent/resources. It happens.
Very true, but with 2K it was a bit more than that.
When 2K's NFL series was canned, most of that team went to NBA and started building from the ground up. It's translated into arguably the best franchise in sports video games.

With MLB, the ship has changed hands too many times.
But you can tell how much better the game has gotten since VC took over.
I hope 2K continues making ball games and allows VC to build a new engine when the new consoles come out.
I firmly believe when that happens, we'll have the baseball equivalent to their NBA series.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.