Home
News Post


Could EA Sports bring back the MVP Baseball series?

James Brightman, of Industry Gamers, recently interviewed Peter Moore and it sure sounds interesting. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Speaking to IndustryGamers (as the head of EA Sports before being promoted to EA COO), Peter Moore informed us that the "majority" of the team that worked on the MVP Baseball series are still employed at EA Sports. "Thereís enough people at Sports who would say 'Iím in.' And weíve got enough quality talent thatís been around a long time. You would start from scratch because this would be something where youíd have to build the engine again because itís been a few years," he said.

Member Comments
# 1 bluengold34_OS @ 08/19/11 07:05 PM
And so it shall be..........hopefully.
 
# 2 AndyP @ 08/19/11 07:06 PM
Oh great, all we need is an exclusive MLB+EA deal. SCEA hasn't just made the best baseball title out there but arguably the best sports title, period. If that was killed by another exclusive licensing deal.... *shakes head*.
 
# 3 TracerBullet @ 08/19/11 07:14 PM
^ Jumping to conclusions are we? I'm pretty sure at best EA would get a 3rd party license like 2K did. Though, I don't even think they would go that far honestly. Just because they did it with the NFL doesn't automatically mean they will do it for everything, in fact its been pretty much the opposite.
 
# 4 kashmir28 @ 08/19/11 07:26 PM
As much as people like to dump on EA (some of it deservingly, most of it not), being a Xbox only owner, I would love to see anyone other than 2K get their hands on a MLB title available for Xbox. While 2K11 isn't horrific, the best I can say for it is just that - it isn't horrific.
 
# 5 SeerMagicX @ 08/19/11 07:34 PM
I hope MVP comes back, it was the best arcade baseball game ever made. And easily the funnest when played with friends. But it would only feel like MVP if they kept the cartoony graphics and such.
 
# 6 rudyjuly2 @ 08/19/11 08:45 PM
Baseball video games have dropped dramatically the last two years on the 360 and PS3. Are people losing interest in baseball? Are people tired of the current products out there. EA's MVP series was #1 when it left and I'm sure people would give a fresh title a try but the game sales for baseball have been bad the last couple of years. NHL 11 sold over 1 million copies between the 360 and PS3. I'm not sure the Show and MLB 2K will be able to say that this year.

Just looking at 10 week sales figures from VG Chartz, MLB 2K9 sold 335,000 on the 360 and 2K11 did only 155,000. Show 09 on PS3 did 378,000 in its first 10 weeks while Show 11 only did 260,000 (note MLB 2K11 on PS3 has only done 90,000 to date!) And this is despite more hardware being out on the market. Not a good trend.
 
# 7 ehh @ 08/19/11 08:54 PM
People can argue the merits of the realism of various video games but no game ever has even come close to MVP in terms of fun factor and addictiveness. To me, The Show has always been a snoozefest by comparison.

Hopefully this series returns.
 
# 8 Marino @ 08/19/11 09:06 PM
I am all for this series returning.
 
# 9 jvalverde88 @ 08/19/11 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
Oh great, all we need is an exclusive MLB+EA deal. SCEA hasn't just made the best baseball title out there but arguably the best sports title, period. If that was killed by another exclusive licensing deal.... *shakes head*.
Did you actually read the article? It said nothing about a 3rd party deal. I'm all for the MVP Baseball series returning, the more baseball options the better.
 
# 10 eaterofworlds888 @ 08/19/11 09:47 PM
really? I have nothing against baseball but now there are three MLB markets in gaming. An NCAA Basketball game would have been better. oh well. *sigh*
 
# 11 areobee401 @ 08/20/11 12:30 AM
With 2k unable to produce a good baseball game and The Show starting to become stale. Why wouldn't I want EA to jump back into the baseball fold. If they do make a baseball game. I hope they wait until the next gen of consoles.
 
# 12 Fiddy @ 08/20/11 12:35 AM
if they come back, please allow for custom rosters online for friend vs friend games, just like in 05!!!
 
# 13 BRxSKINSx @ 08/20/11 01:11 AM
Man, cmon EA....bring a baseball game worth playing to XBOX.....MLB 2k just ain't cutting it for me....
 
# 14 gigadkc @ 08/20/11 07:01 AM
that would be great news. Seems like Konami has no interest to make an MLB game (what a shame) and The Show is pretty much the same game for years now.
 
# 15 DeuceDouglas @ 08/20/11 08:01 AM
This needs to happen. I've been playing MVP 2005 for too long.
 
# 16 eaterofworlds888 @ 08/20/11 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 3:16
EA needs to get out of the game... 2K should have Football,Basketball
Sony Baseball. EA is just bad at making games, they just don't care about the consumer.
Also why would EA pass up on making a baseball game over collage basketball, when baseball is the 2nd most popular sport in america and there basketball games stink.
While I like baseball I am a huge fan of college basketball and this makes the second year that we have not had a college basketball title. I do agree that 2K's basketball games are better but EA's last attempt NCAA basketball 10 showed some real potential. My point is we already have MLB games in the market and I totally get it competition is good but I just really would like my NCAA Basketball games back
 
# 17 Sparkles @ 08/20/11 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Baseball video games have dropped dramatically the last two years on the 360 and PS3. Are people losing interest in baseball? Are people tired of the current products out there. EA's MVP series was #1 when it left and I'm sure people would give a fresh title a try but the game sales for baseball have been bad the last couple of years. NHL 11 sold over 1 million copies between the 360 and PS3. I'm not sure the Show and MLB 2K will be able to say that this year.

Just looking at 10 week sales figures from VG Chartz, MLB 2K9 sold 335,000 on the 360 and 2K11 did only 155,000. Show 09 on PS3 did 378,000 in its first 10 weeks while Show 11 only did 260,000 (note MLB 2K11 on PS3 has only done 90,000 to date!) And this is despite more hardware being out on the market. Not a good trend.
i think 2k is to blame for this. 360 owners get a crapy title from 2k every year that has no effort what so ever. hopefully ea can turn this thing around
 
# 18 Artman22 @ 08/20/11 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
People can argue the merits of the realism of various video games but no game ever has even come close to MVP in terms of fun factor and addictiveness. To me, The Show has always been a snoozefest by comparison.

Hopefully this series returns.
This is how I feel a bit as well. MVP was my favorite baseball game period..
 
# 19 BleacherBum2310 @ 08/20/11 11:19 AM
Lets hope so.. MVP was my favorite baseball game.
 
# 20 gopadres @ 08/20/11 12:05 PM
Definitely hope MVP comes back! It's time for a 3rd baseball game in the market again.
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.