Home
NHL 12 News Post



This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

According to the NHL 12 Facebook page, this is the "BIG" announcement.

Quote:
In the 1st NHL 12 producer video we promised a big announcement...well here it is: 'They're coming!'

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 adayinthelife @ 08/08/11 12:36 PM
Well, according to Facebook this is the "big announcement":

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...-nhl-12/718658
 
# 2 gopher_guy @ 08/08/11 12:43 PM
Playing as Gretzky and others was supposed to forever change the way we play the game?
 
# 3 Pezell04x @ 08/08/11 12:48 PM
Yawn. Thanks for nothing EA.
 
# 4 Whitesox @ 08/08/11 12:50 PM
Just when I thought this marketing campaign couldn't get any more sickening, they flash a spike logo at the end of their 1 minute long trailer.
 
# 5 adayinthelife @ 08/08/11 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Playing as Gretzky and others was supposed to forever change the way we play the game?
Well you'd like to think there's more to it than that... I just can't figure out how.
 
# 6 FBeaule04 @ 08/08/11 12:59 PM
Ok! I maybe wrong, but I think I understand what they mean now.

From the clip, it's obvious that we will be able to play in as Gretzky (beating Kipper), Howe (giving it to Lucic) and Lemieux (undressing a Bruins defenseman like he did with Ray Bourque many years ago) in the BaP mode. I guess you'll have a team of legends for those who would like to play with all of them in BaGM. Maybe also in cards for the HUT.

Will it change the way we play the game? We'll see. One thing for sure, if you don't tweak the sliders in your favor or glitch like crazy, I don't see no one getting it close to what Gretzky and Lemieux did.

215 points and 92 goals in a season...Would be possible only playing the Leafs and Panthers for 82 games!!
 
# 7 Bolts_26 @ 08/08/11 01:04 PM
Hmmm. Still need to see a bit more before judging this. However, does not seem very "game-changing" as of now...
 
# 8 toadiev @ 08/08/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Ok! I maybe wrong, but I think I understand what they mean now.

From the clip, it's obvious that we will be able to play in as Gretzky (beating Kipper), Howe (giving it to Lucic) and Lemieux (undressing a Bruins defenseman like he did with Ray Bourque many years ago) in the BaP mode. I guess you'll have a team of legends for those who would like to play with all of them in BaGM. Maybe also in cards for the HUT.

Will it change the way we play the game? We'll see. One thing for sure, if you don't tweak the sliders in your favor or glitch like crazy, I don't see no one getting it close to what Gretzky and Lemieux did.

215 points and 92 goals in a season...Would be possible only playing the Leafs and Panthers for 82 games!!

Really hoping these players aren't incorporated in beagm or bap modes (I don't suspect they will be beyond the recognition of their records) however I think they are a cool addition to HUT as extremely rare legend cards. I don't have much use for the legends being playable beyond that. I might be in the minority but as much as I enjoyed watching Gretzky on the tube years ago I don't have this undying need to reanimate him. I think the NBA has more of a connection to Jordan than hockey does to Gretzky and Lemieux. I hope I can select these guys to coach my team in beagm. Between Richard and Gretzky you would have the two worst players turned into coaches in history.
 
# 9 GrandMaster B @ 08/08/11 01:23 PM
Not too thrilled that this is the "big" announcement. Hopeful for a online franchise next year.
 
# 10 DeconstruKt @ 08/08/11 01:48 PM
I'd rather have real arenas, updated be a GM and authentic goal horns.
 
# 11 FBeaule04 @ 08/08/11 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiev
Really hoping these players aren't incorporated in beagm or bap modes (I don't suspect they will be beyond the recognition of their records) however I think they are a cool addition to HUT as extremely rare legend cards. I don't have much use for the legends being playable beyond that. I might be in the minority but as much as I enjoyed watching Gretzky on the tube years ago I don't have this undying need to reanimate him. I think the NBA has more of a connection to Jordan than hockey does to Gretzky and Lemieux. I hope I can select these guys to coach my team in beagm. Between Richard and Gretzky you would have the two worst players turned into coaches in history.
We will have to see, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who will disagree and will like to start a BaP with a legend of their choice.

One thing we have to admit is that EA isn't asleep at the wheel. They saw the impact that the My Player had in NBA 2K11 as well as the "play only your minutes" in NBA 2K11 and MLB 2K11 and they transpose it for NHL. Also, the Jordan effect wasn't to be denied with NBA 2K11. It makes me buy the game just to play as MJ.

Maybe they'll get the same answer for people who likes hockey. There's a ton of legends in NHL history and to be pretty honest, I hope Bobby Orr is there because I'd like to have some sort of a feel since what he did on the ice was pretty amazing.
 
# 12 DeconstruKt @ 08/08/11 01:53 PM
did you guys not expect this? I did.. it's EA..

same team that re-added goalie fights and glass breaking as "new".


I'd rather have updated arenas, goal horns and improved GM mode than all these gimmicky crap for the casuals.
 
# 13 Money99 @ 08/08/11 01:57 PM
It makes me wonder how this will affect ratings.
Those guys were special but how special will they appear during gameplay?
 
# 14 FBeaule04 @ 08/08/11 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
It makes me wonder how this will affect ratings.
Those guys were special but how special will they appear during gameplay?
Good question. Take Mario Lemieux for one second. If Oveckin is a 94 overall in the game, Lemieux should be 115. I mean, Lemieux could score goals with three guys on is back (which is kind of why he had back problem afterward) while undressing any defenseman in the league (would love to watch a 1 on 1 with Hal Gill when Lemieux was in his prime!).

Same thing with Gretzky. If you consider Crosby is one of the best passer in the game and gave him a 99, what will you give to Gretz? Gretz was able to pass the puck from the dressing room while Kurri was waiting in front of the net.

Same thing with the BaP. Best juniors last year we're close to 72-74 if I remember correctly (Hall and Seguin). How would you rate a guy who at 18 years old ended up with 133 goals and 149 assists in 70 games??? Gretz, at 16 years old had 182 points in 64 games. You can't put them in at 75, these guys we're legend in the CHL before proving all their talent in the big level at 18-19 years old.

It's a fact, ratings can always be corrected, but I guess that the Legend things makes it harder on how you balanced everything and the fact that hockey as change.
 
# 15 tfctillidie @ 08/08/11 02:11 PM
let me guess, these guys will be FA's in Be A GM mode too?

I expected this announcement to fall short of EA's marketing hype, but this isn't even making sense to me at this point.
 
# 16 FBeaule04 @ 08/08/11 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeconstruKt
I'd rather have real arenas, updated be a GM and authentic goal horns.
Can I ask you a question? Would real arenas changed the game at all? Would authentic goal horns (which you can customize with playlist on the XBOX) would change that much your experience?

I agree with BaGM. An overhaul of the mode would be much more important priority in my book, but EA is trying to make more money and sell more copies of the game, that they are looking for the same answer people gave with MJ in NBA 2K11.

It's right, EA is always bringing a lot of gimmicks to have people buy the game, while some things that should have been done (arenas, while don't changing the game, should have been taking care of few years ago) but aren't since it's not important in EA's book.

I like that Legend thing. Before questionning the fact it's a Big Announcement, I'll give EA chance to explain what's the possiblity of the Legends in the game.

If it's 30 Legends team that you can swap in BaGM and play with for a few seasons, then EA will have me completely nuts!
 
# 17 SinisterAlex @ 08/08/11 02:16 PM
Like others, I'll have to wait and see how exactly this is going to work. After all of the hype, and this is the announcement? First reaction, let down.
 
# 18 DeconstruKt @ 08/08/11 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Can I ask you a question? Would real arenas changed the game at all? Would authentic goal horns (which you can customize with playlist on the XBOX) would change that much your experience?

I agree with BaGM. An overhaul of the mode would be much more important priority in my book, but EA is trying to make more money and sell more copies of the game, that they are looking for the same answer people gave with MJ in NBA 2K11.

It's right, EA is always bringing a lot of gimmicks to have people buy the game, while some things that should have been done (arenas, while don't changing the game, should have been taking care of few years ago) but aren't since it's not important in EA's book.

I like that Legend thing. Before questionning the fact it's a Big Announcement, I'll give EA chance to explain what's the possiblity of the Legends in the game.

If it's 30 Legends team that you can swap in BaGM and play with for a few seasons, then EA will have me completely nuts!
It would change the game for me, that's the reason I enjoyed 2k10.

It's a huge presentation boost, I want to feel like I'm actually on the road in Arenas, Or when I'm at home I actually want to feel like I'm at the shark tank and have the home advantage. The generic arenas do not provide the same feeling.

I added custom goal horns in NHL 11 but they were a pain to set up, and they cut short, ect.

Honestly, there's so many things that could be improved, like the cup celebration, broadcasting style to make it more TV like (like most sports games out there now).. but a legends team? really? chances are this won't even be in next years game (they had that legends habs team in 09 or 10? can't recall).

There's just so much more that can be improved than gimmicks, I always buy the NHL series, hell i own NHLPA 93 for my snes.. But for my 80 dollars this year, I wanted to see more improvements.
 
# 19 bluemax @ 08/08/11 03:03 PM
I have to agree with Deconstrukt, these presentational elements are a huge factor for me also, I love NHL11 but I don`t get the feeling that Im on a road trip and playing in a league cause the presentation elements are lacking. I know where they are coming from, and I`m not against legends at all but if you refer to NBA 2k11 or 2k12 for that matter, they add the MJ thing and have the best presentation of all sports games. Its just frustating that NHL is so lacking in this regard
 
# 20 FBeaule04 @ 08/08/11 03:11 PM
It's one thing for blasting EA for this and that, what I like is to have some explanations and that's what DeconstruKt did.

I understand what you say and it's obvious that the "presentation style" is lacking from EA games. Just a comparison of what 2K did with NBA 2K11 versus what we have for NCAA 12 or NHL 11 is pretty obvious.

Most of what you ask have been mentionned over the years and I guess that for EA, it's not a priority. They seemed to touch some of the presentation this year, but for guys like you, and versus 2K, I guess it will fall short.
 

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.