Home
NBA 2K12 News Post


What are they going to do next? How are they going to top it next year? Who’s going to be on the NBA 2K12 cover?

These were all questions the basketball-gaming world was asking after the huge success that was NBA 2K11. Today, after an elaborate Twitter marketing scheme, one of those questions were answered. The cover athlete -- or should I say athletes -- were revealed for NBA 2K12.

Read More - Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 101 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 quadsas @ 07/21/11 06:14 PM
Huge nonononono for Griffin, that dude plain sucks, unbelievably underrated and not exciting at all. Nice comparisement to VC - both somewhat suck, both are very athletic and both started at terrible teams. Plus, he doesn't have soul
 
# 2 JSensui @ 07/21/11 06:26 PM
I suppose there are a few more challenges we can get from the Jordan mode. The only ones I can think of are the 93 Finals, and his revenge series against the Magic.
 
# 3 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 06:26 PM
As I've said previously, I'm A-O.K. with the covers unveiled today. To me they signify a deeper look into basketball's past (in addition to maintaining the current teams). I don't really view such inclusions of historic teams as some kind of gimmick, so I thereby would not be a big fan of just "going in a different direction" for the sake of going somewhere different. It is my feeling that classic teams should be further explored. And with a lockout looming, and with how awesome those three greats are, I find these covers to be excellent choices.

If the cover were a current player, it'd really signify nothing to me. When Carmelo was on NBA Live '05, it didn't really tell me anything about the game. When KG came to 2K, same deal. However, having three legends representing 2K tells me something about the game. I like that. And in fact, I'd view such cover selections as anything but stale. Stale to me is just throwing on whoever's hot at the moment. I wouldn't be upset with a current player cover, because I don't really care about who gets shine, but I do care when a cover seems to insinuate a feature I would seem to be very interested in (increased classic presence).

And in regards to Michael Jordan's contract extension with 2K, I'm not sure he has to be featured every single year. To be honest, it's cool enough just to have him available as a playable character. The "Jordaning" of 2K11 was an awesome experience, but I'm not sure anyone's expecting that same thing over and over. He arrived to next-gen basketball gaming with a boom, and now hopefully he'll be able to stay a while. I was actually worried that 2K11 would have been his only year on the game. I'm certainly glad it won't be.
 
# 4 da ThRONe @ 07/21/11 06:43 PM
Just my observation it seems like their going to the well one more time instead of being innovative. But once info starts to be released hopefully sanity returns. Who cares about a cover. Nobody plays with the box(if you so you have some serious issues LOL).
 
# 5 tarek @ 07/21/11 06:56 PM
I personally think this is a good move by 2K. The NBA is in lockout, and the use of current players may bring a negative emotional response as it brings immediate thoughts of the lockout and possible loss of NBA basketball this season.

However, by using past legends it brings an emotion of nostalgia. Of a thought (whether right or wrong) of NBA when it was more pure or better or whatever. It's a potential positive thought rather than a potential negative thought.

I'm a BIG BIG hopeful fan of historic recreation in sports video games. It's more fun for me to change the course of history rather than to predict the future at times. I always seem to tire in a dynasty when it gets to year e.g. 2019 and onwards when stars are declining and new random players are growing. But imagine starting at 2003 and changing the course of history, how would YOUR NBA look in 2011 if you could change things and watch players grow.

Maybe this season 2K will focus and really highlight the historic stuff, featuring new challenges and greater choice of different era play. The 70s/80s/90s and 00s.

And then in 2K13, when the NBA is back in full force, then 2K will blow us all away and refocus on the NBA today, whilst having already set a benchmark for historic sports gaming.
 
# 6 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
I'm a BIG BIG hopeful fan of historic recreation in sports video games. It's more fun for me to change the course of history rather than to predict the future at times. I always seem to tire in a dynasty when it gets to year e.g. 2019 and onwards when stars are declining and new random players are growing. But imagine starting at 2003 and changing the course of history, how would YOUR NBA look in 2011 if you could change things and watch players grow.
I'm with you there. I tend to really enjoy my Franchise through the first year, but I've lost interest as the seasons move into the future (and as things get much more hypothetical and fantastical). I mean, I totally see the draw and I definitely fully understand why people would enjoy such a mode, but I think I was much more interested in the classic teams in 2K11.
 
# 7 mvspree8 @ 07/21/11 07:32 PM
What I would love is if they had one of the Wizards as a classic team and made it so 39-year-old MJ doesn't retire after the first season every time. I ended up tweaking his age to 33 so I could squeeze a few good years out of him but felt a little weird, considering how dominant he was at that age.
 
# 8 J_Posse @ 07/21/11 07:49 PM
What a pessimistic write-up. Especially when it involves three of the greatest players to have ever played in the NBA. Giving non-Bulls fans a choice, especially when it is two huge markets like Boston and Los Angeles, while retaining Jordan's likeness for 3 more seasons is huge. Now, we could conceivably see decade/legend teams with his "Airness" included. Hopefully, so how 2K can bring even more legendary players back into their titles like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, Charles Barkley, etc. This is a great move and makes total sense with the lockout likely cutting into the season and hurting current players images.
 
# 9 TDavis45 @ 07/21/11 08:09 PM
Interesting choice.... Bird and Johnson games worth more maybe?
 
# 10 whizer17 @ 07/21/11 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
What a pessimistic write-up. Especially when it involves three of the greatest players to have ever played in the NBA. Giving non-Bulls fans a choice, especially when it is two huge markets like Boston and Los Angeles, while retaining Jordan's likeness for 3 more seasons is huge. Now, we could conceivably see decade/legend teams with his "Airness" included. Hopefully, so how 2K can bring even more legendary players back into their titles like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, Charles Barkley, etc. This is a great move and makes total sense with the lockout likely cutting into the season and hurting current players images.
I agree 100%. How can you claim to be a fan of the NBA and not want to experience and enjoy some of the history that made it what it is today?

For some reason that article just really annoyed me. I mean Griffin really? Apparently ChaseB you have no real love of the game and no sense of history. I hope 2k doesn't look to your opinion in shaping their games.
 
# 11 23 @ 07/21/11 08:54 PM
Blake Griffin aint ready for this kind of a follow up... and that pic would be a horrible cover. The viewpoint is awful for a cover and frankly come on man, just because you thought it might be a good idea to put Magic Bird and MJ on the cover doesn't mean its a let down

Some of my bball game imaginations have come to realization. Who in the NBA has the marketing power of these guys? These are the same dudes who not only raised the bar to the standard, but they took the game popular worldwide

..but Blake Griffin? Just because he dunks?
 
# 12 ..GameOver.. @ 07/21/11 08:57 PM
Meh article. I like this direction they are going and I really don't think the cover has anything to do with what is in the game with exception to a few features I more than likely will not play. Chise and MP for me. Cover athletes are irrelevant in my opinion.
 
# 13 spankdatazz22 @ 07/21/11 09:25 PM
Wasn't feeling the article myself. I think given the situation, going with co-cover athletes in Jordan/Bird/Magic was easily the logical choice. 2K11 has consistently charted top 10 NPD since it's release. I don't think any sports game can claim that type of sales consistency. It benefited from there being no NBA Live of course. But still a remarkable accomplishment. Makes no sense to make an immediate left turn away from what was wildly successful; makes better sense to try to build on that success - which is what they appear to be doing.
 
# 14 MrSimCity @ 07/21/11 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizer17
I agree 100%. How can you claim to be a fan of the NBA and not want to experience and enjoy some of the history that made it what it is today?

For some reason that article just really annoyed me. I mean Griffin really? Apparently ChaseB you have no real love of the game and no sense of history. I hope 2k doesn't look to your opinion in shaping their games.
I wrote this...not Chase.

I grew up in and on this "past" you refer to, and as a hoops fan, there's no other period I enjoyed more. Just because I don't like the marketing direction for this year's cover doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the past. Some elements of the past and basketball's history should be in these games REGARDLESS of who's on the cover.

But this piece was mainly about the marketing of the game -- neither you nor I know exactly what they have in store in terms of how they implement Magic & Bird into NBA2K12. Even though if I had to guess, it won't be to the extent of Jordan's integration in NBA2K11 since the Magic & Bird covers are only limited editions. My fear is the creative team rested on it's laurels and went with what already worked last year and threw in Magic & Bird as collectors items.

The game's past and history is great, and should be in the game regardless of the cover. But given the success this present NBA had with last season, why not come up with a creative idea with today's stars? Just my thoughts.
 
# 15 23 @ 07/21/11 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
But given the success this present NBA had with last season, why not come up with a creative idea with today's stars? Just my thoughts.


right... I can see the alternative now...

NBA 2k12 includes BRAND NEW modes!

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

Join another superstar then lose

Make the coach poke you in the chest during a timeout

Win 65 games then lose in the first round

trade your star player but only after half the season

and the best of all call the ref obscene names from the bench to get fined!


Sounds great come to think about it
 
# 16 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
right... I can see the alternative now...

NBA 2k12 includes BRAND NEW modes!

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

Join another superstar then lose

Make the coach poke you in the chest during a timeout

Win 65 games then lose in the first round

trade your star player but only after half the season

and the best of all call the ref obscene names from the bench to get fined!


Sounds great come to think about it
On one hand, to reiterate, I love the cover choices this year. First, from a personal standpoint (because it seems to insinuate more classic work is to come). And second, from a logical standpoint, because it seems to be a sound choice to make given the lockout. It's just a fitting puzzle piece.

However, to be fair, there's always been issues in the NBA. The MJ edition could have just as well come with a gambling mode and the ability to call out your teammates during drills by manipulating the right bumper in conjunction with Y.

Or Magic Mode could feature draft picks who choose to play for only teams of their choice while eventually providing the opportunity for players to enter ultimatums to the front office to fire the coach or trade them.

Or in honor of the return of 80's basketball, "cocaine addiction" could be listed as a new injury.

And that's not to say the MJ's or anyone in the 80's were horrible people. Rather, I'm just saying players and stars who aren't perfect is nothing new. I feel sometimes, current generations get the brunt of accusations like this. The same accusations were there in the 90's too when Derrick Coleman was coming along. Each era has their issues.
 
# 17 J_Posse @ 07/21/11 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
right... I can see the alternative now...

NBA 2k12 includes BRAND NEW modes!

**includes**

Lockout 2.0

Join another superstar then lose

Make the coach poke you in the chest during a timeout

Win 65 games then lose in the first round

trade your star player but only after half the season

and the best of all call the ref obscene names from the bench to get fined!


Sounds great come to think about it
LOL

Everything was hilarious, except the bolded part. Plus, the Spurs won 61 games and lost in the first-round not the 65 you claimed.

Even if 2K uses old footage and current players, as they did with 2K11, the marketability of Bird, Johnson and Jordan surpasses every current player in the NBA. They are considered the "holy trinity" of NBA basketball to many people around the world. Even I as die-hard Spur fan, but life-long Magic Johnson fan, am pumped to buy the Magic limited edition cover. They can do many creative things with their marketing and still not have Bird, Johnson or Jordan directly involved.
 
"Everything Jordan touches should be gold, and by most accounts, NBA 2K11 certainly was. But I fear 2K Sports might not be able to keep up that level of excellence for the remaining years of Jordan’s 2K tenure -- and as a result, could tarnish the legend of NBA 2K11."

Huh? So 2K shouldn't try to top itself with 2K12?

What that guy wants from 2K: Hey guys--we had a great game with 2K11 and we're gonna have a hard time topping it so let's just put a current player on the cover.

What WE want from 2K: Hey guys--we had a great game with 2K11 and we're gonna top it. We had the GOAT on the greatest video game last year; let's put the GOAT on it again because THIS year will be the greatest video game!

That write-up makes you want to punch something then face palm.
 
# 19 MrSimCity @ 07/21/11 11:22 PM
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
 
# 20 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
That's a fair opinion. But on that same hand, any player besides MJ isn't MJ. And to take it one step further, I'm not sure why a back-to-back Iverson cover wouldn't fly in today's world (aka 6 years later). I think MJ (and Magic and Larry) transcend "just another basketball player". If it was any other player besides them? Right. Exactly. That's what makes them, them. The fact that they can be retired for anywhere between 8 and 20 years and still make a massive splash with their cover appearance is what separates them from the rest.

And it's true, sequels are indeed never the originals. They're sequels. Often they don't meet their origin's standards, but sometimes they do exceed them (Dark Knight vs. Batman Begins for example). I'm not expecting a rehash in game modes. I'm not expecting just a "Jordan Challenge Pt. 2, now featuring a game he had against the Bucks in '93". I'm expecting strides to be made. And maybe that's off base, because you're only addressing things from a marketing standpoint. But even then, adding two more bigger than life Hall of Famers to your cover is one helluva sequel.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.