Home
NHL 12 News Post


If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Some good comparison video between NHL 11 and NHL 12 presented by Littman. Anticipation AI, physics and goalies are touched on.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SinisterAlex @ 07/07/11 06:29 PM
Nice find!
 
# 2 blinkfan77 @ 07/07/11 07:36 PM
This is such a huge upgrade it's not even funny. HUGE. I can't stress that enough. As someone who plays mainly offline and against the computer (and with computer teammates), there's nothing I hate more than when I'm doing a lot of work in the zone with the puck, and my teammates aren't rushing the net or anticipating a pass. It completely halts any play you had in mind. I can't count how many times I've curled around the half-wall with the intentions of hitting my winger driving to an open area in front of the net, and he just stands there.

This might be the number 1 thing I'm excited for. The fact that teammates will even anticipate where the puck will be in the neutral zone and defensive zone is icing on the cake. Outstanding work by them recognizing this and overhauling it. I'm stoked.
 
# 3 bwiggy33 @ 07/07/11 08:15 PM
Hopefully the AI change holds through. There is nothing I hate more then easily entering the offensive zone against great defensive teams, hell even a not so great team. This could be a heck of a game and a huge change from 11 if the AI is smarter and if each player plays like themselves.
 
# 4 MizzouRah @ 07/07/11 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
This is such a huge upgrade it's not even funny. HUGE. I can't stress that enough. As someone who plays mainly offline and against the computer (and with computer teammates), there's nothing I hate more than when I'm doing a lot of work in the zone with the puck, and my teammates aren't rushing the net or anticipating a pass. It completely halts any play you had in mind. I can't count how many times I've curled around the half-wall with the intentions of hitting my winger driving to an open area in front of the net, and he just stands there.

This might be the number 1 thing I'm excited for. The fact that teammates will even anticipate where the puck will be in the neutral zone and defensive zone is icing on the cake. Outstanding work by them recognizing this and overhauling it. I'm stoked.
I agree and it's neat to see the two games side by side.

I'm preordering..
 
# 5 green94 @ 07/07/11 09:19 PM
Anyone catch the "Chicago Stadium" reference at Center Ice?
 
# 6 Money99 @ 07/07/11 09:22 PM
Really good stuff. Loved all of it.
Hopefully not all of the players will have the same anticipation though.
 
# 7 tyler289 @ 07/07/11 09:22 PM
That looked great. Very happy with those AI videos.
 
# 8 bwiggy33 @ 07/07/11 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Anyone catch the "Chicago Stadium" reference at Center Ice?
Nice catch. Maybe they added old school teams, or just added in old school arenas. It would be pretty sweet to play at the Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Chicago Stadium, or MET CENTER (this would be sick).
 
# 9 GameSeven @ 07/07/11 10:16 PM
Lots of gameplay footage at http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the...ar%3Btitle%3B1

Starts around 28:00 into the show
 
# 10 GameSeven @ 07/07/11 10:40 PM
Lots of gameplay footage at http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the...ar%3Btitle%3B1

Starts around 28:00 into the show
 
# 11 TylerHowe @ 07/07/11 10:48 PM
I'm still kind of worried about running the goalies... seems so stupid.
 
# 12 Fiddy @ 07/07/11 11:46 PM
Very soff.... Ugh.
 
# 13 BlueNGold @ 07/08/11 12:09 AM
The AI looks so much better. This was the biggest thing I wanted fixed and I'm glad they went this route. My only issue there though is it still looks too easy to get into the offensive zone. By the looks of things I'm guessing they were playing on some weak default settings, so hopefully sliders can fix that. I'm not worried about the up and down gameplay and lack of grittiness in this video because I already know that can be mostly addressed with sliders.

There is one major disappointment and that's the presentation. Unless they're magically hiding it, it looks almost exactly the same. It sucks, but like I said, the biggest thing I wanted fixed was the AI, so I'd rather have the better playing game than the better looking game.
 
# 14 TNA Equalizer @ 07/08/11 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
This is such a huge upgrade it's not even funny. HUGE. I can't stress that enough. As someone who plays mainly offline and against the computer (and with computer teammates), there's nothing I hate more than when I'm doing a lot of work in the zone with the puck, and my teammates aren't rushing the net or anticipating a pass. It completely halts any play you had in mind. I can't count how many times I've curled around the half-wall with the intentions of hitting my winger driving to an open area in front of the net, and he just stands there.

This might be the number 1 thing I'm excited for. The fact that teammates will even anticipate where the puck will be in the neutral zone and defensive zone is icing on the cake. Outstanding work by them recognizing this and overhauling it. I'm stoked.
Definitely. It's something I've been excited for since community day. Good stuff by EA showing the upgrade in the AI department.
 
# 15 BlueNGold @ 07/08/11 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Nice catch. Maybe they added old school teams, or just added in old school arenas. It would be pretty sweet to play at the Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Chicago Stadium, or MET CENTER (this would be sick).
I think you might be on to something.

I just finished watching the EA live Q&A videos with Rammer at E3 (they were posted a month ago) and he said the big feature they're holding back until closer to launch is something he's excited about and it's probably the most excited he's been for a feature they've done in his four years. But the main thing he said was it would resonate with all hockey fans, even casual fans. Maybe they added some type of classic mode with classic players and stadiums?
 
# 16 DJ @ 07/08/11 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I think you might be on to something.

I just finished watching the EA live Q&A videos with Rammer at E3 (they were posted a month ago) and he said the big feature they're holding back until closer to launch is something he's excited about and it's probably the most excited he's been for a feature they've done in his four years. But the main thing he said was it would resonate with all hockey fans, even casual fans. Maybe they added some type of classic mode with classic players and stadiums?
Man, that would be so awesome if that is the case.

I admit, I am on the bandwagon for NHL 12 now. The past few videos have gone a long way to selling me on the game. Looks like NHL 11 will be getting traded in to make room for NHL 12.
 
# 17 FBeaule04 @ 07/08/11 03:04 AM
Great video!

I hope that the AI improvements are there in NHL 12, it was so awful in NHL 11 that they had to do something.

What the video showed was how bad EA did their job in NHL 11 with the AI. I understand that the focus is on the online play, but you can't offer a product like that for offline modes and still be saying you test the game.

Littman video was a proof that the game wasn't tested at all for offline modes. Would have be happy to see no more D pinning themselves or W going for the corners on a breakaway, but I guess there's a limit for self-punishment in that presentation!
 
# 18 SinisterAlex @ 07/08/11 05:59 AM
Anyone else notice the stadium looks different in the first part of the original video with Alex Ovechkin? Look at the crowd, glass, arena, etc of the NHL 11 clip then watch the NHL 12 clip.

Maybe it's just me, but does it look better and more "alive". Or do we finally have real arenas?
 
# 19 Juiceman612 @ 07/08/11 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven
Lots of gameplay footage at http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the...ar%3Btitle%3B1

Starts around 28:00 into the show
Thanks for this. Watching the gameplay it still seems way too easy to gain the offensive zone. Defense isn't pinching at all from what I can see. Not that they should every time, but I didn't see it at all. That's pretty disappointing. A ton of up and down too. This is frustrating to see again.
 
# 20 Money99 @ 07/08/11 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman612
Thanks for this. Watching the gameplay it still seems way too easy to gain the offensive zone. Defense isn't pinching at all from what I can see. Not that they should every time, but I didn't see it at all. That's pretty disappointing. A ton of up and down too. This is frustrating to see again.
I noticed that too.
The one thing that's hard not to notice also is that every pass is tape-to-tape. It doesn't even matter if it's an errant pass or deflects off something it's always on someone's tape immediately. There are very few loose-puck moments in this game it seems.

Watch an NHL game and it's kind of turned into a trench-warfare type process. With each loose puck, comes a collision or scrap for the puck.
You don't get that in EA's game.

And it's quite obvious that the physics don't apply to board pinning. There's still a tonne of suction with size and strength playing no role in who's doing the pinning and who gets pinned.
I bet I can pin Chara with Hudler anytime I want to.

I'm still going to pick it up. I haven't really had a full-time hockey game in 2 or 3 years now.
I think I've gotten used to this series' shortcomings.
The game is what it is and until the next consoles come out, it's not going to change.
It's always going to be very north-south with no neutral zone pressure and very 'clean' gameplay.
It's still fun and I think I just need to get over my hangups. It's a game and I should simply try to enjoy it.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.