Home
Madden 12 News Post


GamingIllustrated has recently posted an interview with Mike Young, Creative Art Director for Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
GI: So what’s new with this year’s edition? Why don’t you talk about within the art scope what’s new with Madden 12.

Mike Young: Art – tons of stuff is new. We have a brand new broadcast presentation. We worked with CBS in the off season and we basically did ride-alongs with their studio. We went to games and learned how they shoot the games, where every camera is in the stadium and we replicated those elements in the game. So we have every camera in every real stadium that you’d see on TV and we’re using it the right way. In addition to that we worked with NFL films and every scene in which you’d normally on a TV broadcast see a handheld or a steady cam, we actually have this great technology similar to what James Cameron had on Avatar where our NFL films cameramen are filming our feeds and that translates directly into the game. So we’re really proud of that.

On top of that we have all 32 teams’ authentic pre-games and the player introductions. So we’ve added pyro, we’ve added inflatables, cheerleaders, mascots, all of it is 100% authentic to the real teams. Player models have gotten a drastic overhaul. Scaling proportions, the ball scale. We’ve added equipment, 20 new face masks, four new helmets, two new shoe manufacturers, flag jackets, back blades; it’s a lot of stuff. 3D grass is brand new, too.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 43 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ssryry29 @ 06/27/11 10:40 PM
40 stadiums?
 
# 2 PSRusse83 @ 06/27/11 10:44 PM
Did he just say 40 stadiums?
 
# 3 mestevo @ 06/27/11 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssryry29
40 stadiums?
Probably because of the different versions, 32 teams, including Meadowlands for Giants and Meadlowlands for Jets (as far as the game is concerned probably different stadiums due to the cosmetic differences), a handful for the high school games, maybe a generic one as a practice field and for relocation. 40 starts to not really sound like a big deal.
 
# 4 tatmanfish @ 06/27/11 10:48 PM
pro-bowl could acoount for 2 more

London and Toronto game? doubt it as they would have been psyched to tell us about them as cool new stuff.

Maybe they have to do the work for playoff games and consider each atmosphere as a stadium?

wierd to say the least.
 
# 5 PSRusse83 @ 06/27/11 10:49 PM
The Toronto game was in 11 so that puts its at yeah I guess thats about right. Id be cool to see Fawcett Field in there and the HOF game.
 
# 6 scitychamps87 @ 06/27/11 11:24 PM
Quote:
GI: So presentation is always big with Madden and when you?re looking at the flagship franchise of EA Sports, you know it must be pretty rewarding to know that what you do is not just about game play, it?s also about presentation. It really gives the Madden game a professional polished real-life look. How do you keep raising the bar year to year?MY: Well I think there?s our stuff, but our community is always asking for more and more and we have reality to also look at. And really, we just wanted to capture the true NFL. We have thousands of players to replicate and 40 stadiums; so there?s always new stuff to push ourselves towards and I think that?s the challenge. Everybody has their favorite player or favorite team and getting all those details right; their uniforms, the towels, like if a guy wears a different face mask we?ve got to get that in the game. So it?s really about getting all that authenticity plus keeping up with the rest of the industry with great new graphical features like HDR Lighting
Pleasant news for me! I thought that madden was just getting progressive linear lighting this year and only ncaa was getting hdr. But it was great to hear mike say that madden has it! Great. Lighting makes a huge difference in the reality/immersion factor in the appearance of the game, especially in a football game, where lighting is drastically changing based on light exposure and time of day.
 
# 7 mestevo @ 06/27/11 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Don't get me wrong, I understand that the team working on the art stuff is completely separate, as it should be. However, it just seems off to me.
So are you saying the art guys should have taken Madden 12 off? You're complaining about technical stuff in a thread about an interview with the lead art guy. I am sure there's a thread better suited out there for you, if not 8 or 9 of them.
 
# 8 GiantBlue76 @ 06/28/11 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So are you saying the art guys should have taken Madden 12 off? You're complaining about technical stuff in a thread about an interview with the lead art guy. I am sure there's a thread better suited out there for you, if not 8 or 9 of them.
Yeah, that's exactly what I am saying. They should have taken a year off. IN fact, I said it directly in my post. Do me a favor, just put me on your ignore list.
 
# 9 kehlis @ 06/28/11 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Yeah, that's exactly what I am saying. They should have taken a year off. IN fact, I said it directly in my post. Do me a favor, just put me on your ignore list.
Please tell me how this would offer any benefit to anyone.

You understand it's separate so what does this have anything to do with any of the other parts of the game you are bringing up?

It really comes off as complaining just to complain. There are many other places here that people have discussed the shortages of other areas you mentioned, no need to bring it up here...
 
# 10 GiantBlue76 @ 06/28/11 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Please tell me how this would offer any benefit to anyone.

You understand it's separate so what does this have anything to do with any of the other parts of the game you are bringing up?

It really comes off as complaining just to complain. There are many other places here that people have discussed the shortages of other areas you mentioned, no need to bring it up here...
It's really getting impossible to "discuss" here. In no way was my post meant as a "complaint". Are we reading into posts now just to LOOK for excuses to reprimand? The thread was about the new and improved artwork in Madden 12 which I think is great. Now they just need to combine the great art work with the elements of gameplay that are missing. It's not complaining, it's an opinion on Madden 12 which is exactly what this board is for.

No big deal. I'll delete the post and we'll just move on. No harm no foul.
 
# 11 kehlis @ 06/28/11 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
It's really getting impossible to "discuss" here. In no way was my post meant as a "complaint". Are we reading into posts now just to LOOK for excuses to reprimand? The thread was about the new and improved artwork in Madden 12 which I think is great. Now they just need to combine the great art work with the elements of gameplay that are missing. It's not complaining, it's an opinion on Madden 12 which is exactly what this board is for.

No big deal. I'll delete the post and we'll just move on. No harm no foul.
I wasn't reprimanding in any way. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I'm questioning your intent.

My point is this, there is no mention here of gameplay at all, which apparently is your argument, but when you are interviewing the art director, you aren't going to get gameplay questions/responses. It's the same thing Masteveo was getting at.

I don't know why you are getting defensive to my question as it is a legitimate one. What does gameplay have to do with this q&a?

Bringing up an argument that has nothing to do with the discussions at hand is nothing more than complaining to complain. This thread is discussing the art aspect of Madden and nothing more.
 
# 12 GiantBlue76 @ 06/28/11 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I wasn't reprimanding in any way. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I'm questioning your intent.

My point is this, there is no mention here of gameplay at all, which apparently is your argument, but when you are interviewing the art director, you aren't going to get gameplay questions/responses. It's the same thing Masteveo was getting at.

I don't know why you are getting defensive to my question as it is a legitimate one. What does gameplay have to do with this q&a?

Bringing up an argument that has nothing to do with the discussions at hand is nothing more than complaining to complain. This thread is discussing the art aspect of Madden and nothing more.
The article was interviewing the art director talking about the great art in Madden 12. I love the new art. It's great. I was simply commenting about the fact there are still a few gameplay elements missing which when added, will combine with the fantastic artwork to make a fantastic football game. When I get a smart *** response criticizing me and my intentions in my post that are an assumption, it warrants getting a little defensive. It was uncalled for since you guys both assumed I was "complaining". It was a comment which this board is all about. Commenting, discussing and expressing opinions. Had I written that the artwork and gameplay are now both perfect, would there have been an issue with my post about gameplay being unrelated?

I was simply trying to express my opinion that with the new enhancements made to the art work, those missing gameplay elements that are still a hard pill to swallow will make the game incredible when they are added for Madden 13. I really don't understand where these assumptions came from.

In any event, this really isn't important enough to argue over. You guys made your point and I don't have an issue with it. I consider it water under the bridge. No big deal.
 
# 13 kehlis @ 06/28/11 12:45 AM
Fair enough and agreed.
 
# 14 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
The article was interviewing the art director talking about the great art in Madden 12. I love the new art. It's great. I was simply commenting about the fact there are still a few gameplay elements missing which when added, will combine with the fantastic artwork to make a fantastic football game. When I get a smart *** response criticizing me and my intentions in my post that are an assumption, it warrants getting a little defensive. It was uncalled for since you guys both assumed I was "complaining". It was a comment which this board is all about. Commenting, discussing and expressing opinions. Had I written that the artwork and gameplay are now both perfect, would there have been an issue with my post about gameplay being unrelated?

I was simply trying to express my opinion that with the new enhancements made to the art work, those missing gameplay elements that are still a hard pill to swallow will make the game incredible when they are added for Madden 13. I really don't understand where these assumptions came from.

In any event, this really isn't important enough to argue over. You guys made your point and I don't have an issue with it. I consider it water under the bridge. No big deal.
Ahh the victim defense. You are not being singled out because your opinion is negative. You got singled out because you brought up issues completely unrelated to the topic at hand. This is why it appears you are complaining for the sake of complaining. I am not sure why it's so hard for you to figure out. I guess it's easier to play the victim role.
 
# 15 GiantBlue76 @ 06/28/11 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Ahh the victim defense. You are not being singled out because your opinion is negative. You got singled out because you brought up issues completely unrelated to the topic at hand. This is why it appears you are complaining for the sake of complaining. I am not sure why it's so hard for you to figure out. I guess it's easier to play the victim role.
Wow, are you serious? OK guy. This had nothing to do with you and I don't really appreciate your ridiculously ignorant input here. There was no need to "pile on" and try to make accusations or observations about a person you have never met, spoken to or interacted with. Kelis made his point, you are not required nor desired to be involved here in any way.
 
# 16 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Wow, are you serious? OK guy. This had nothing to do with you and I don't really appreciate your ridiculously ignorant input here. There was no need to "pile on" and try to make accusations or observations about a person you have never met, spoken to or interacted with. Kelis made his point, you are not required nor desired to be involved here in any way.
That's funny. I don't remember needing your permission to post. Wonder why you got so defensive?
 
# 17 mirrored32 @ 06/28/11 01:25 AM
back on point. . . yeah I would say Madden looks great from the art perspective. the broadcast camera system is simply awesome and will add a lot to me as I like to 'scout' the teams by watching the teams i will play in the next weeks in cpu vs cpu mode. Franchise is cool with that addition, now even more fleshed out! awesome.

as for pyro, I remember seeing that in the playoffs and superbowl (or was that NCAA). perhaps he means more then they had. all in all from what i have seen and heard from the teams and what not,

AWESOME! I believe the look is great, madden always improves in this area greatly! This year 'looks' to not disappoint!
 
# 18 GiantBlue76 @ 06/28/11 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrored32
back on point. . . yeah I would say Madden looks great from the art perspective. the broadcast camera system is simply awesome and will add a lot to me as I like to 'scout' the teams by watching the teams i will play in the next weeks in cpu vs cpu mode. Franchise is cool with that addition, now even more fleshed out! awesome.

as for pyro, I remember seeing that in the playoffs and superbowl (or was that NCAA). perhaps he means more then they had. all in all from what i have seen and heard from the teams and what not,

AWESOME! I believe the look is great, madden always improves in this area greatly! This year 'looks' to not disappoint!
The camera angles will add a ton to the immersion. The graphics improved greatly with respect to the player models. They look much more proportionate this time around.
 
# 19 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrored32
back on point. . . yeah I would say Madden looks great from the art perspective. the broadcast camera system is simply awesome and will add a lot to me as I like to 'scout' the teams by watching the teams i will play in the next weeks in cpu vs cpu mode. Franchise is cool with that addition, now even more fleshed out! awesome.

as for pyro, I remember seeing that in the playoffs and superbowl (or was that NCAA). perhaps he means more then they had. all in all from what i have seen and heard from the teams and what not,

AWESOME! I believe the look is great, madden always improves in this area greatly! This year 'looks' to not disappoint!
I prefer to play "coach mode" type of games for my offline franchise in whatever sports game I am playing. Really looking forward to broadcast cam this year.

Actually this is the first year I am looking forward to Madden since basically the 16 bit Sega days.
 
# 20 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestServedCold
I also like they have it in, but I'll probably only use it for the playoffs and a few special games.

I wish that they could fully convert all the head coach features into Madden, so that I could play just as a coach and not get bored lol.

I think that with Looman on EA's roster we should see a lot more franchise improvements than in previous years. He said in a video that he is already working on Madden 13. I'm not sure if I really like that considering the amount of time left till Madden 12's release day, but I understand that it doesn't really make sense to implement new franchise features so late in the development cycle.
I am a huge HC '09 player. Hell I bought the limited edition of Madden just for HC. I don't think I competed a game of Madden 09. If they could fully implement it, with the graphical and game updates they supposedly have put in this year, I would be set I think.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.