Home
NHL 12 News Post



This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CS10029 @ 06/06/11 07:33 PM
2:07 to 2:17 is actual gameplay.

From looking at those ten seconds... yeah I know...

The skating looks a little heavier, look at the way the puck carrier goes to skate through the corner. Also, look at what Crosby does, he skates hard to the high slot, then puts on the brakes to be in a great spot, open too.
 
# 2 jaiman @ 06/06/11 08:36 PM
Game looks pretty identical to me. The gametracker thing at the pause menu is cool though. Nice broadcast replay view. Would be a sweet playable view! (hint hint)
 
# 3 SwinginAs12 @ 06/06/11 08:56 PM
Hey Ovechkin isn't a hobo anymore!
 
# 4 Money99 @ 06/06/11 09:08 PM
I'm a horrible person for doing this, but I see the skating physics haven't been fixed at all.
Look what Shultz does after he knocks down Kunitz. He skates forward, grabs the puck, then skates backwards, pivots and heads up ice.
No physics. No gravity. No realism.

I see many more games against the CPU where they fly into the corner and pull off these magical skating techniques.
I've been begging for this to be changed since 08 and it's still in there. Very disappointing.

The stat overlays look really nice though. That stuff is great.
I just wish the skating was made more realistic. It looks like the users skating is still hindered, but seeing how Shultz defied physics, methinks the CPU will still be able to pull of things the user can never think of doing. Adding more weight to the user's skating doesn't make skating more realistic.
And Kunitz is a good skater. He should feel lighter out there than some guys. If that's how Jody Shelly felt, then that would be awesome.
But I have a bad feeling the CPU players will all be waterbugs, and all the users skaters will feel like 18-wheelers on a sheet of ice.
 
# 5 Peter_OS @ 06/06/11 11:18 PM
I could care less about height and weights!! Give me some stat overlays EA! Some historical stats and season stats for crying out loud!! Ughh..

I want to see team stat overlays. Comparing the 2 teams against each other. Win, Losses between the teams all time etc...
 
# 6 Vikes1 @ 06/07/11 01:03 AM
I'm a big fan of the game, so in many ways...any improvements are simply a plus. But....

I did see what Money pointed out about how the player behind the net simply slides backward, and pretty arcade like...heads up ice. [physics?] I guess I too was hoping that year two of the physic engine work, would bring about a little more realistic player movement. But again...I don't want to judge the whole game by just one kinda ugly looking moment.

Also, the Gametracker...it's pretty cool I guess. But I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the bulk of the presentation upgrades are tied into the pause button. And/or...the Winter Classic. I'm just hoping some of the presentation upgrades have found their way into the GM mode as well.
 
# 7 Steven547 @ 06/07/11 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I could care less about height and weights!! Give me some stat overlays EA! Some historical stats and season stats for crying out loud!! Ughh..

I want to see team stat overlays. Comparing the 2 teams against each other. Win, Losses between the teams all time etc...
Yea...all we saw were HT / WT overlays. I'll assume they'll show more overlays other than HT / WT. So far, the game looks (graphically) just like NHL 11...Not a bad thing, but was hoping for a little more "oomph". But time will tell.
 
# 8 Qb @ 06/07/11 09:33 AM
The Action Tracker looks great... looks like a lot of information will be available. I'm already thinking about monitoring my shooting tendencies...

With that being said, I too am disappointed with the aforementioned awkward skating seen when Schultz picks up the puck by the net. It's brief, but I'm fairly certain a person can't move like that on skates. It provides a good example of a fundamental change that could make a huge impact on how the game plays. Part of me thinks tuning the agility range could help -- think making a 90 AGL rating play more like 70 AGL -- but I think to truly fix the problem would require some deeper work on the skating physics.

Much like Money, I've been hoping for skating improvements over the past years -- you better believe I talked it to death at the NHL11 community event -- and it's the one thing that truly gets under my skin while I'm playing the game. I think I'm going to attempt to talk to Redshirt again and see what happens...
 
# 9 Fiddy @ 06/07/11 10:01 AM
awesome.. so the skating went untouched. the same old same again this year!!
 
# 10 Steven547 @ 06/07/11 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
awesome.. so the skating went untouched. the same old same again this year!!
In the interview with EA, they said their main focus was on presentation this year. Ugh. Looks like they keep forgetting the important things in a game...like gameplay! I really hope what we are seeing is far from the final product. If not, EA once again, has their priorities mixed up based on this video.
 
# 11 Money99 @ 06/07/11 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I've been hoping for skating improvements over the past years -- you better believe I talked it to death at the NHL11 community event -- and it's the one thing that truly gets under my skin while I'm playing the game.
I really hate nitpicking 30 seconds of gameplay. It's so early. But I'm the same as you QB. I've been wanting the skating fixed for years now.

I think I wouldn't be that upset about it as long as the User could do the same things as the CPU. If it was even, I could live with it. But I'm tired of controlling Datsyuk, who feels like he's skating in mud, while the CPU is dancing all over the ice, and performing physically impossible moves with John Scott.
 
# 12 Qb @ 06/07/11 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
awesome.. so the skating went untouched. the same old same again this year!!
I'm not sure about "untouched", but it sure doesn't look like there is a new "skating engine" based on this small amount of footage.

Without really knowing the ins & outs of the "guts" of the game it's hard to say how much they can do to improve the current system through under-the-hood tuning. I'm fairly certain they could decrease the agility scale or lower the speed/acceleration of backwards skating... but can they add more "weight" to the players? Would this bring out better skating transitions and changes of direction? Who knows...
 
# 13 Biggs11 @ 06/07/11 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
In the interview with EA, they said their main focus was on presentation this year. Ugh. Looks like they keep forgetting the important things in a game...like gameplay! I really hope what we are seeing is far from the final product. If not, EA once again, has their priorities mixed up based on this video.
They said they were focusing on presentation this year? Yeah the intro to the winter classic is a nice touch but in game, it looks like the cutaways are the exact same as before and the same useless stats are used. I'm optimistic about the final product, but if they were putting an emphasis on presentation, I would expect new, different cutaways, stats between two teams, history etc... you know, stuff you actually see when you watch a game. The focus should be freshening things up, I'm tired of the same old stuff we've seen since 08 as I'm sure most are.
 
# 14 Fiddy @ 06/07/11 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
In the interview with EA, they said their main focus was on presentation this year. Ugh. Looks like they keep forgetting the important things in a game...like gameplay! I really hope what we are seeing is far from the final product. If not, EA once again, has their priorities mixed up based on this video.
typical EA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm not sure about "untouched", but it sure doesn't look like there is a new "skating engine" based on this small amount of footage.
their track record sucks.. until that track record changes, we can just assume things like i posted.
 
# 15 Peter_OS @ 06/07/11 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattbreed
Man...I am NOT impressed at all by anything so far.

Presentation looks OK but I don't care how fat someone is, or a pause menu, what do you want me to do spend my time at the pause menu instead of playing?

I hope the equipment gets updated and at least AT LEAST have real cyberfaces for the top line of each team, c'mon EA.
Exactly!
 
# 16 FBeaule04 @ 06/07/11 02:33 PM
NHL from EA Sports seems more and more to me like a 40 year old woman who seemed to have understand mens!

"Who cares about what I have to offer inside? All they care about is how I look like and how easy I am out of the box!"

Give more snow, fireworks and pause "goodies" so I can play less and less the game so I can't see the AI is dumb like hell!
 
# 17 Kaladesskel @ 06/07/11 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
NHL from EA Sports seems more and more to me like a 40 year old woman who seemed to have understand mens!

"Who cares about what I have to offer inside? All they care about is how I look like and how easy I am out of the box!"

Give more snow, fireworks and pause "goodies" so I can play less and less the game so I can't see the AI is dumb like hell!
Lol I agree! And like people would argue over years and years of gaming, it's not about graphics (or in this case, presentation, even though I think it looks really good) It's about gameplay!
 
# 18 FBeaule04 @ 06/07/11 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaladesskel
Lol I agree! And like people would argue over years and years of gaming, it's not about graphics (or in this case, presentation, even though I think it looks really good) It's about gameplay!
If I would act the EA way with my wife, I would be on the verge of divorcing.

If she tells me my action aren't right in some situation and I would come home with a new pair of shoes, I'm not sure it would make it.

If she tells me that I'm always making exact same mistakes and my answer is starting to making it less often but making new ones, I'm not sure it would make it.

If she tells me that she hate the way I hit every wall in the house when I'm angry and my answer is that I will hit the wall but will do it in a more real way, I'm not sure it would make it.

I hope I'm wrong with NHL 12, but if the Winter Classic, presentations and goalies interference and fights we're the top priorities for EA, I'm giving up, there's nothing we can do no more to help EA understand us.
 
# 19 actionhank @ 06/07/11 04:00 PM
I feel like something that would help this game would be having the player have to stop.
Think of it like this (this analogy is just popping into my head, so it's got potential to be crap)
Anyhow, when you play a game with cars you don't just push the stick down to stop. You have a brake. Something that slows you down. I feel like, while skaters can do things cars obviously can't the basic physics constraints are still there. You can't just pivot in place without moving, and you have to put a lot into going another direction.
If we had something like, a trigger that would be a "brake" so to speak for the skater, it would, in my opinion lead to much more realistic gameplay.
Instead of players skating full speed into the boards and just magically picking up the puck, then moving instantly back to center ice, you would have to come in, but use the trigger to slow your player down. This would make people think about the angle they take to the puck, instead of just running at it from any direction. It would be faster to skate down the boards and scoop the puck up and keep skating, but what if you aren't heading from that way? Say you are racing a player down the ice for the puck, you both just can't skate full speed into the corner without slamming into the boards.
I think doing this would add a lot to the game. If you go too fast you could run the risk of getting injured, say maybe a little over the "safe" speed and your guy puts and arm up and hits the boards, but has to take a second to get on his feet properly before playing the puck right.
It would eliminate just slamming into the boards as it is now and automatically (Unless the AI is with you...then they seem to get the puck no matter what i try...) grabbing the puck to magically skate away.
It would also help for crashing the crease.
Too much speed and you run the risk of nailing the goalie and getting called/roughed up by the other team. Stop too soon and you're out of position.

I think little things like that would help a lot for making gameplay feel less...on rails.
 
# 20 Vikes1 @ 06/07/11 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs11
They said they were focusing on presentation this year? Yeah the intro to the winter classic is a nice touch but in game, it looks like the cutaways are the exact same as before and the same useless stats are used. I'm optimistic about the final product, but if they were putting an emphasis on presentation, I would expect new, different cutaways, stats between two teams, history etc... you know, stuff you actually see when you watch a game. The focus should be freshening things up, I'm tired of the same old stuff we've seen since 08 as I'm sure most are.
Well said Biggs.

I too am optimistic about the final product. But what you posted here is pretty much what I was hoping to see as well. Them showing the height/weight overlays again, was a bit disappointing. Especially in GM mode...I'm hoping for much more useful overlays/pop ups. Like the things you mentioned above.

Like some are talking about in the other vid thread...I'm hoping I don't have to be constantly pausing the game to enjoy the bulk of the "new" presentation. Good Lord man!...I have enough trouble getting through an 82 game season.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.