Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post


Tradition Sports Online has posted a new blog going over improvements to zone defense, new tackling and more in NCAA Football 12.

Quote:
"There's no more warping or sliding into position for the tackle," associate producer Ben Haumiller explained. "Now the tackle doesn't take place until the defender makes contact with the ball carrier, and this really brings momentum into play. This is a big change in the animation system and point of impact. So basically, the ball carrier and the defender would get close to each other, in last year's game, and the engine would warp them together into a tackle and the defender would actually slide into position because we only had eight spots where a wrap tackle could begin. But now, no matter where I hit you, that's where the wrap is going to begin. You don't see a guy slide over and make a tackle. Now he's trying to make the tackle at the spot where he first makes contact. This also comes into play with gang tackles. You'll see one player come in and stand the ball carrier up, then another player will come in and join on. And actually, because of the momentum and how that second defender is flying in, he might even knock that initial tackler off the pile and steal the tackle. Or you might see the first guy try to make a tackle, the second guy make a hit, then a third guy coming in with a shoulder trying to clean it up, but each of these hits will help change the course of the ball carrier."

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 AuburnAlumni @ 04/21/11 10:25 AM
So. Happy. To. Read. This.
 
# 2 ThisIsReality @ 04/21/11 10:29 AM
Wow, the screenshot there is beautiful.
 
# 3 NDAlum @ 04/21/11 10:30 AM
 
# 4 PaperBoyx703 @ 04/21/11 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
 
# 5 blkrptnt819 @ 04/21/11 10:37 AM
What I have bee waiting for all year.
 
# 6 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/21/11 10:40 AM
Man this is looking awsome so far. I'm glad they added a new tackling system this year. Now the game is going to be much more fun this year without a doubt.
 
# 7 SonOfEd @ 04/21/11 10:45 AM
Can't wait to see this in action!
 
# 8 sportyguyfl31 @ 04/21/11 10:56 AM
I almost spewed on myself when I read this:

"This year, defenders will play more realistically inside their assignment. They aggressively pick up players who enter their zones, playing with leverage and using realistic angles to better defend against a pass to a WR inside their assigned area. Defenders will also communicate and point out WRs to their teammates as they leave and enter different areas of the defense. The defense plays as a more cohesive unit instead of each player appearing to be on an island just defending their area."
 
# 9 RynoAid @ 04/21/11 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I almost spewed on myself when I read this:

"This year, defenders will play more realistically inside their assignment. They aggressively pick up players who enter their zones, playing with leverage and using realistic angles to better defend against a pass to a WR inside their assigned area. Defenders will also communicate and point out WRs to their teammates as they leave and enter different areas of the defense. The defense plays as a more cohesive unit instead of each player appearing to be on an island just defending their area."
im not sure how to take that... /nohomo
 
# 10 shaunlmason @ 04/21/11 11:41 AM
No matter how many "big" features they add, these "small" improvements will help make the game reflect what we see on Saturday more than anything.

I'm personally very excited to be able to play defense.
 
# 11 EmmdotFrisk @ 04/21/11 11:44 AM
I wasn't that excited for the game but after reading this and watching the new gameplay video it has rekindled my excitement for July 12th. Great write up Ryno, jealous that you have already got some playtime with the early version!
 
# 12 sportyguyfl31 @ 04/21/11 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
im not sure how to take that... /nohomo

Lets just say that I am quite pleased with that update haha
 
# 13 Onslaught76 @ 04/21/11 11:58 AM
I'm definitely stoked for this release!
 
# 14 shaunlmason @ 04/21/11 12:11 PM
3 months of feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve is a long time.=)
 
# 15 inglip @ 04/21/11 12:23 PM
Quote:
Another addition that should improve the defensive side of the ball from a physicality stand point is multiple collision tackles. Defenders that peruse will now be rewarded with opportunities to lay the wood to players who are fighting for extra yards or being held up by the initial tackle attempt. Some of the hits Ive seen are devastating, both in their rendering and on the actual player taking the hit. Injuries seem a bit more pronounced with violent hits and definitely the opportunity to cause a turnover increases for defenses if they are gang tackling and good in pursuit.
They may have just sold me with this alone. You can tell they went all out.
 
# 16 RynoAid @ 04/21/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inglip
They may have just sold me with this alone. You can tell they went all out.
i know that improved tackling has been a big "want" from the gameplay guys.
 
# 17 Pokes404 @ 04/21/11 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
Yep my dream game would be to take the Backbreaker engine for player interactions and mix it with EAs AI and non interaction animations.
Backbreaker physics, 2K player interactions, EA graphics. Now that would be a game.

Very excited to hear about consecutive-hit tackles, but I want to see it in action before I get too excited.
 
# 18 Bullet Sponge @ 04/21/11 01:55 PM
Quote:
Injuries seem a bit more pronounced with violent hits and definitely the opportunity to cause a turnover increases for defenses if they are gang tackling and good in pursuit.
This one makes me nervous, since EA has a way of overemphasizing new features. I don't want 9 fumbles per game and my running back getting hurt every game.

The injury system is a little off kilter I think. Seems like injuries to your skill players are a little high and injuries to everyone else are a bit low right now. Fumbles in certain situations are ridiculously high.
 
# 19 RynoAid @ 04/21/11 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
This one makes me nervous, since EA has a way of overemphasizing new features. I don't want 9 fumbles per game and my running back getting hurt every game.

The injury system is a little off kilter I think. Seems like injuries to your skill players are a little high and injuries to everyone else are a bit low right now. Fumbles in certain situations are ridiculously high.
It did not seem excessive in my time with the game.
 
# 20 Bullet Sponge @ 04/21/11 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
It did not seem excessive in my time with the game.
I think the season-ending or long term injuries weren't too bad, but the short term ones, or even short in-game ones (for say a series or quarter etc) seemed excessive. I'd have my RB and QB (who both have good injury ratings) suffer a minor injury every game, sometimes more than once.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.