Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post



This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

In the latest MLB 11 The Show blog, Ramone Russell goes over the Challenge of the Week feature.

Quote:
"Challenge of the Week is a fast-paced and fun arcade-style mode where the goal is to score as many points as possible. You’re the batter and you get thre outs with thre strikes per out. Your overall score consists of your points and Momentum (aka multiplier). The longer the hit, the more points you get. The better the hit and the more momentum you earn. There will also be weekly bonuses to help with racking up points. Challenge of the Week will feature the hottest batters and pitchers during the MLB season so check back to see if we feature a player from your favorite MLB team.

To play, simply go to the “Challenge of the Week” option on the main menu of MLB 11 The Show and select the current Challenge.

So what do you get if you’re #1 on the leaderboard at the end of the week? Real-world prizes! We’re talking about signed MLB gear, Sony Electronics, gift cards, the works!"

Does this look like something you're interested in? For more details, click here.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 56 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bigsheen @ 03/07/11 08:25 PM
im confused on how they are goping to implement the quarter for every second+ use. are they just going to use money from our playstation store funds?
 
# 2 42 @ 03/07/11 08:40 PM
Bring it!
 
# 3 Russell_SCEA @ 03/07/11 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
Bring it!

I'm expecting you or Nemesis to win at least one of the weeks. Don't disappoint me.
 
# 4 bukktown @ 03/07/11 08:44 PM
WOW! Looks like I will be dropping over $100 to play the Show this year!
I used to play the MVP 05 hitting challenges over and over probably more than I played my franchise. I get so addicted to things like this lol.
 
# 5 Knight165 @ 03/07/11 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I'm expecting you or Nemesis to win at least one of the weeks. Don't disappoint me.


Forget someone?
(no...not EN or Glen...or even Jim wisea$$)

M.K.
Knight165
 
# 6 Knight165 @ 03/07/11 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I'm expecting you or Nemesis to win at least one of the weeks. Don't disappoint me.

They might have won one if they had their free ADVANCED copies!
Now...no hope.

M.K.
Knight165
 
# 7 Tommyklaid @ 03/07/11 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
They might have won one if they had their free ADVANCED copies!
Now...no hope.

M.K.
Knight165

....burn!

I need to go to bed, so tomorrow can come quicker...lol
 
# 8 humaca80 @ 03/07/11 09:46 PM
hahaha, ah dude. This is gonna be crack! I can see a ton of people burning through quarters like on the arcades back in the day. This game is so SICK!!
 
# 9 jmik58 @ 03/07/11 10:00 PM
Warren Buffet's first business pursuit was coin arcade games ... the end of many baseball gamers across the world will be the new version of the coin arcade game.

Looks like a few Ramen suppers to support the challenge of the week habit.
 
# 10 JJT @ 03/07/11 10:06 PM
Russell is this open to canadians?
 
# 11 Shinyhubcaps @ 03/07/11 11:02 PM
I will avoid this mode like the plague. I don't mind guys paying for DLC, but there is no value added to the game. It unlocks on a per-use basis a mode that looks to be essentially batting practice, and I don't imagine that there are many prizes beyond one every week. I can see susceptible people investing tons of money into this mode, but I can't afford that, and it almost seems like Sony is trying to pull a fast one here with the adjustments made to the wallet feature on the PSN.

Sorry, just a disclaimer. It seems OK if you're good at hitting, but I have very low expectations for 95% of users.
 
# 12 Knight165 @ 03/07/11 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
I will avoid this mode like the plague. I don't mind guys paying for DLC, but there is no value added to the game. It unlocks on a per-use basis a mode that looks to be essentially batting practice, and I don't imagine that there are many prizes beyond one every week. I can see susceptible people investing tons of money into this mode, but I can't afford that, and it almost seems like Sony is trying to pull a fast one here with the adjustments made to the wallet feature on the PSN.

Sorry, just a disclaimer. It seems OK if you're good at hitting, but I have very low expectations for 95% of users.
I don't see how anyone can say pull a fast one. It's not like they are going to let you keep going and racking up a tab...and then suddenly you realize that you owe them 100 bucks.
You are either going to feed the machine...or walk away.
You know exactly what you are doing.
I guess you didn't play video games at the arcade as a kid, huh?...and they didn't give you prizes!

M.K.
Knight165
 
# 13 fallofanempire @ 03/08/11 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I don't see how anyone can say pull a fast one. It's not like they are going to let you keep going and racking up a tab...and then suddenly you realize that you owe them 100 bucks.
You are either going to feed the machine...or walk away.
You know exactly what you are doing.
I guess you didn't play video games at the arcade as a kid, huh?...and they didn't give you prizes!

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah that is true, but it doesn't cost $60 bucks to enter the arcade. It also comes across shady to talk up this mode were you can win prizes for the last few months, and then the day before the game comes out say, oh by the way, your gonna have to pay extra to play it.
 
# 14 Russell_SCEA @ 03/08/11 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallofanempire
Yeah that is true, but it doesn't cost $60 bucks to enter the arcade. It also comes across shady to talk up this mode were you can win prizes for the last few months, and then the day before the game comes out say, oh by the way, your gonna have to pay extra to play it.


You need to do some fact checking Sr. it's been widely known and publicized in plenty of articles over the months that you get one free try a week and every other try is a quarter.

The very first articles about the game back in January mentions the quarter barrier of entry.
 
# 15 fallofanempire @ 03/08/11 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You need to do some fact checking Sr. it's been widely known and publicized in plenty of articles over the months that you get one free try a week and every other try is a quarter.

The very first articles about the game back in January mentions the quarter barrier of entry.
Perhaps that is true. However, I have not heard about it until today. I would bet that a good amount of people hadn't either. I get the business side of it. You guys can't say our modes cost extra when the other guys are giving away a million dollars. But that does not change the fact that I am dissappointed to find out about this mode costing extra money.
 
# 16 Stroehms @ 03/08/11 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallofanempire
Perhaps that is true. However, I have not heard about it until today. I would bet that a good amount of people hadn't either. I get the business side of it. You guys can't say our modes cost extra when the other guys are giving away a million dollars. But that does not change the fact that I am dissappointed to find out about this mode costing extra money.
So..you are disappointed that the mode is going to cost money or are you more disappointed that you are finding out about it today?

I for one, can't see myself playing the mode but understand that this is a business and also, the mode adds more for a user to do in the game. It's just depth to an already deep game. No harm.
 
# 17 Raskal @ 03/08/11 03:07 AM
Is there going to be a tutorial on how this mode works? This video is very vague. Also are there only going to be hitting challenges? When does the week officially start and end? Is every challenge going to be the same but at a different venue with different players?
 
# 18 42 @ 03/08/11 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal
Is there going to be a tutorial on how this mode works? This video is very vague. Also are there only going to be hitting challenges? When does the week officially start and end? Is every challenge going to be the same but at a different venue with different players?

Just copying my post from the Community Event Thread:

COTW is a Batter vs. Pitcher duel, you being the batter while facing the pitcher (AI) each week. Of course who you'll hit with, which pitcher you'll face, what stadium you'll be in, etc... will change week to week.

Basic Rundown: You get one free session each week (3 outs) and after that, .25 cents per play (think video arcade!). They will also offer packs (5 sessions for $1 and 26 for $5).

Each ball hit in play, how far it was hit (foul balls also count but won't be as much) will accumulate points as you go. You'll also have "X's Bonus" points which you'll want to strive for as that will drive your score up immensely, however, these "bonus" challenges will vary each week. (i.e. hit streaks, total hits per out, etc...) just to give you an idea. Also, every 3 hits in play will increase your difficulty (Veteran, All-Star, HOF and Legend - you start on Rookie). As you advance levels, you'll be rewarded with a nice momentum boost!

This mode WILL test your patience at the plate! You'll want to stay alive as long as you can per strike (each strike looking will reset your "active" points). Whatever points you've accumulated in that strike session will be added to your total count.

What also makes this mode appealing is the prizes you can win each week (signed jerseys/baseballs, etc...) and don't forget, they'll have monthly prizes (Sony products, etc...) and a grand prize at the end which is why you'll want to remain active in this because your total User score will carry on as you go throughout the season.
 
# 19 HawkeyMediaPlus @ 03/08/11 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallofanempire
Perhaps that is true. However, I have not heard about it until today. I would bet that a good amount of people hadn't either. I get the business side of it. You guys can't say our modes cost extra when the other guys are giving away a million dollars. But that does not change the fact that I am dissappointed to find out about this mode costing extra money.
It doesn't cost extra though! You get a free try every week! It's not like they are forcing you to spend money on anything.
 
# 20 fallofanempire @ 03/08/11 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroehms
So..you are disappointed that the mode is going to cost money or are you more disappointed that you are finding out about it today?

I for one, can't see myself playing the mode but understand that this is a business and also, the mode adds more for a user to do in the game. It's just depth to an already deep game. No harm.
I am more disappointed that it costs money. Instead of being about who is the best it becomes about who is willing to spend the most.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.