Home
MLB 2K11 News Post


Destructoid has just posted their second MLB 2K11 preview. This one detailing Franchise Mode, My Player and more.

Quote:
"I brought up 2K10’s messed-up manager AI for pitchers, and Bailey freely acknowledged that it was awful; he told me I was being too nice about a system where a manager left my starter in for twelve innings. But 2K11 doesn’t go by pitcher stamina or energy, concepts that are “too videogamey,” according to Bailey. “If it says ‘52 energy,’ what does that mean to me? Can I pitch three more innings? One more inning?” Instead, in-game managers will focus on your pitch count, just like real MLB coaches. On the pause screen, you’ll see your current and expected pitch count, and when you reach the upper limits of the expected range for the day, you’ll probably get pulled."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 boomhauertjs @ 02/16/11 01:19 PM
I just hope games don't take over an hour because you're throwing 150+ pitches. I'll sacrifice a little accuracy on the pitch counts to have a game I can play in about 45 minutes.
 
# 2 krazzed @ 02/16/11 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
I just hope games don't take over an hour because you're throwing 150+ pitches. I'll sacrifice a little accuracy on the pitch counts to have a game I can play in about 45 minutes.
I disagree, I would be disappointed if games only took 45 mins. Sure, you could get more games in, in less time but I would rather not take that hit in realism. Because that would affect the fatigue over a season that they have been talking about, and many other things
 
# 3 Blzer @ 02/16/11 01:39 PM
There is so much talk about some of these new features, that it's strange I can't truly get a grasp on what it all means exactly until we get some gameplay videos. So far aside from pitching cameras, I have absolutely no idea what any other camera looks like. The screenshots for this game are pretty ugly, I don't think that's helping them out much. We need some gameplay footage, stat!
 
# 4 Money99 @ 02/16/11 01:44 PM
I'm really pumped for this game! I haven't owned a baseball game since The Show 09 so I'm itching to get my baseball on.

One thing I want to know is if the My Player has off-field interactions like NBA2K11.
That would be awesome!
 
# 5 Mercury112491 @ 02/16/11 01:47 PM
Best things I read in that article were...

All HR tells are gone

Tuned to make more realistic pitch counts so you can't breeze through in 50 pitches(this is awesome and addresses a concern we've had)

Mutltiple dive animations(so hopefully that stiff one from the trailer isn't a good example of what the dives look like)

The injury managment in franchise sounds absolutely perfect. Older players with nagging injuries that never really go away?!?! Awesome. Lets hope it actually plays that way.
 
# 6 Money99 @ 02/16/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
Best things I read in that article were...

All HR tells are gone

Tuned to make more realistic pitch counts so you can't breeze through in 50 pitches(this is awesome and addresses a concern we've had)

Mutltiple dive animations(so hopefully that stiff one from the trailer isn't a good example of what the dives look like)

The injury managment in franchise sounds absolutely perfect. Older players with nagging injuries that never really go away?!?! Awesome. Lets hope it actually plays that way.
I love that too. But there are times where I want a MONSTER shot to be known right away.
But maybe it will based on the sound and reaction of the ball?
 
# 7 jeffy777 @ 02/16/11 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I love that too. But there are times where I want a MONSTER shot to be known right away.
But maybe it will based on the sound and reaction of the ball?
Agreed. I do hope there will still be "no doubters", including the slow trot to first, bat flip, etc.

Also, the article mentioned that the hitting camera will be more like 2K9 rather than 2K10. I REALLY liked the default camera in 2K10 because it was amazing for reading pitches (after I zommed it in all the way), so I still hope it's an option. I'm thinking it will be since VC has been really good about camera options for a couple years now. I also hope the custom camera settings save this year. One of the Kotaku articles made it sound like they do, so I hope that's the case.

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to some gameplay vids
 
# 8 Wavebird99 @ 02/16/11 04:05 PM
I brought up 2K10’s messed-up manager AI for pitchers, and Bailey freely acknowledged that it was awful; he told me I was being too nice about a system where a manager left my starter in for twelve innings. But 2K11 doesn’t go by pitcher stamina or energy, concepts that are “too videogamey,” according to Bailey. “If it says ‘52 energy,’ what does that mean to me? Can I pitch three more innings? One more inning?” Instead, in-game managers will focus on your pitch count, just like real MLB coaches. On the pause screen, you’ll see your current and expected pitch count, and when you reach the upper limits of the expected range for the day, you’ll probably get pulled.

Holy crap, now I'm excited. The Manager AI was seriously such a problem for me last year. The CPU had no idea how to manage a bullpen. This is great news.
 
# 9 JoeMimic @ 02/16/11 04:31 PM
Sounds good but where are the gameplay videos? 20 days until release and not a whole lot of actual video of the game.
 
# 10 Cardinals602 @ 02/16/11 04:48 PM
does anybody know if you can use a created team in your franchise mode? I was excited when I saw the created team feature on 2k10 and then disappointed when I realized I couldnt use my team in franchise mode. so Im hoping that they make it so you can use a created team in franchise, whether you have to replace an existing team or not.
 
# 11 mwjr @ 02/16/11 06:05 PM
Ugh. So close. Sounds really enticing, but I want to know more about the front office goings-on. Is the free agent thing fixed? Are players offered market-value contracts? Roster expansion? Rule 5 draft?
 
# 12 rudyjuly2 @ 02/16/11 06:13 PM
Zoomed out camera angle, no HR give away, better manager AI with regards to pitchers. I'm getting excited. Trying to keep my hopes in check but everything is sounding really good.
 
# 13 Money99 @ 02/16/11 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMimic
Sounds good but where are the gameplay videos? 20 days until release and not a whole lot of actual video of the game.
I think that's 2K's marketing mission statement "We promise to keep our consumers in the dark 3 minutes before release".

The info's starting to trickle in, but it could be faster. But I wonder if they're trying to coordinate info releases between SCEA's?
 
# 14 SPTO @ 02/16/11 06:20 PM
It's nice to hear that the AI will manage pitchers better. This has been a major issue for YEARS on this game. I'm hoping for this game to be uber realistic in that it would take quite a while to get a game done (1 hr+)

I'm really looking forward to this game.
 
# 15 bonannogiovanni @ 02/16/11 06:22 PM
When the previewer is talking about the hitting camera, does he really mean a fielding cam? I'm confused....
 
# 16 redsrule @ 02/16/11 06:49 PM
Game is looking good right now. No videos is kinda worrying, but hopefully it turns out great. The previews so far are making it seem very good.
 
# 17 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/11 07:04 PM
Once again, I'm loving what I'm hearing. If they've slowed down the way the animations play out, I have no doubt this game will look really nice in motion.

Itching for game play videos

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk
 
# 18 SoxFan01605 @ 02/16/11 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinals602
does anybody know if you can use a created team in your franchise mode? I was excited when I saw the created team feature on 2k10 and then disappointed when I realized I couldnt use my team in franchise mode. so Im hoping that they make it so you can use a created team in franchise, whether you have to replace an existing team or not.
I"m with you on this. I love create-a-team in baseball so much, that I would actually blindly purchase 2K11 just for it...lol...even without the other nice-sounding changes.
 
# 19 mkharsh33 @ 02/16/11 08:33 PM
I agree about the speed of play. One of my dislikes of this game last year (of a few) was how FAST the game played.

Also, has anyone heard if there will be option of 100% player control of fielders?

Slow the game down a touch, but let ME be the one to make the reaction... There's really no "manual" fielding in this game is it's about 90% CPU generated assistance. This needs fixed...
 
# 20 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/11 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I agree about the speed of play. One of my dislikes of this game last year (of a few) was how FAST the game played.

Also, has anyone heard if there will be option of 100% player control of fielders?

Slow the game down a touch, but let ME be the one to make the reaction... There's really no "manual" fielding in this game is it's about 90% CPU generated assistance. This needs fixed...
From all the previews so far, fielding will need some getting use to as the mechanic has been changed this year. The user will be more in control.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.