Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post



I recentely sat down for a talk with FBGRatings.com's Dan Berens to discuss his site's vision and what's going on over there today. The site is currently working on getting accurate ratings for every player using real hard data converted into the Madden ratings universe. Dan claims that when these numbers are plugged into the game, it plays much better and much closer to real life. Check out the interview below and also check out Dan's website to see what he's got going on!


Interview with Berens on the OS Radio Show on BlogTalkRadio

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 KingV2k3 @ 01/24/11 06:49 PM
I used this site often in it's previous incarnation...

Essential (IMHO) for CAPs...

I wish the current regime well in getting this up and running in the way the interviewee indicates...

I miss having the OVR broken down into the list of attributes that comprise it, but I'd imagine that's on tap for the future...
 
# 2 DCEBB2001 @ 01/24/11 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
I used this site often in it's previous incarnation...

Essential (IMHO) for CAPs...

I wish the current regime well in getting this up and running in the way the interviewee indicates...

I miss having the OVR broken down into the list of attributes that comprise it, but I'd imagine that's on tap for the future...
It will not be a problem getting it all the way it needs to be. The biggest issue is the time it takes to complete it all.

The overalls will be broken down once all the general info and raw attributes are filled in...which will take several months.
 
# 3 DCEBB2001 @ 01/24/11 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
Madden needs alot more work than just ratings adjustments.
That's true but at least having a set of ratings that are empirical will help add realism to the Madden experience.
 
# 4 KingV2k3 @ 01/24/11 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
It will not be a problem getting it all the way it needs to be. The biggest issue is the time it takes to complete it all.

The overalls will be broken down once all the general info and raw attributes are filled in...which will take several months.
Thanks for the quick clarification, Dan...

Thanks for taking this on...it's a great resourse!
 
# 5 dannyisastud @ 01/24/11 09:22 PM
Sorry guys im confused what does this website do?
 
# 6 aaronrodgers012 @ 01/25/11 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
That's true but at least having a set of ratings that are empirical will help add realism to the Madden experience.
You were over at packersplanet for a while werent you?
 
# 7 jsquigg @ 01/25/11 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyisastud
Sorry guys im confused what does this website do?
It looks like in depth player analysis to help generate realistic ratings in Madden. They must use a different formula than EA.
 
# 8 RJTurneR @ 01/25/11 05:53 AM
So once all the ratings are, how will it work? Release a file for it on the site or here? I need to get myself an american copy of this game...
 
# 9 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyisastud
Sorry guys im confused what does this website do?
The site serves as a massive database for Madden ratings for every player that was in the league or draft eligible since 1998. All the players are rated on the same scale using scouting data and empirical data analysis. Players are also rated equally, regardless of position, which gets rid of the "my player runs faster than this player because he plays X position" arguments. That database holds 17000 players that will all have updated OVR ratings (which will be updated monthly) and attributes. This will allow users to create CAPs and edit rosters according to the FBG ratings standard within your game. Because the ratings have also been tested within the game engine, they are assured to behave more realistically than the "out of the box" ratings that EA applies.
 
# 10 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrodgers012
You were over at packersplanet for a while werent you?
I was not. Sorry.
 
# 11 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
It looks like in depth player analysis to help generate realistic ratings in Madden. They must use a different formula than EA.
The formula to get the OVR ratings from the attributes is the same, unfortunately. This is because we have to work within the game engine to replicate what you see on the site with what you get when creating a player or editing a roster. However, it is how individual attributes are derived that is different. Unlike EA, we use hard, measurable data to estimate the individual attributes which in turn let us arrive at an OVR rating.
 
# 12 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
So once all the ratings are, how will it work? Release a file for it on the site or here? I need to get myself an american copy of this game...
Once the ratings are completed and updated regularly you can simply look up a team or player, click on them, and see how they are rated. Then you can simply copy the attributes one by one in create a player or a roster, giving you a player that is rated using the FBG system. I will also in the future provide files that can be downloaded from the site directly for use in the NextGen consoles.
 
# 13 seriousluboy83 @ 01/25/11 11:03 AM
man i can't wait til you get the ratings completed because i'm super tired of the favortism with the ratings guru...
 
# 14 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousluboy83
man i can't wait til you get the ratings completed because i'm super tired of the favortism with the ratings guru...
The best part is I don't play favorites with these...I prefer to be ACCURATE with the ratings. Oh, and say goodbye to a guy getting a speed boost because he is performing better. A better performance does not equate to more speed for a player. In fact, many players are actually slower when they hit their production prime around 26-27 years of age than they were when they were rookies. Players will slow down approx. .005s per season after their rookie year on the average, in fact.
 
# 15 carnalnirvana @ 01/25/11 11:22 AM
i looked at the site, but dont see any detailed ratings.

i see an ovr rating but where are the other sub ratings?
am i missing something.
 
# 16 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
i looked at the site, but dont see any detailed ratings.

i see an ovr rating but where are the other sub ratings?
am i missing something.
You shouldn't be able to see any attributes yet because they have not been done yet LOL. When I got the site everything was blank, so I had to start from scratch. There are now 3 phases until completion for you to follow.

Phase 1: Update all basic info including team, Ht, Wt, DOB, College, Draft status, etc. This also includes raw attributes which constitute of SPD, AGI, ACC, STR, and JMP ratings. When a player is complete with Phase 1 they will receive their "Offseason" (O) status or "Ready" (R) status. All players with their last names beginning with A-E have this status. That is roughly 4000 players or 1/4 of all players on the site are at this phase. In light of the upcoming Super Bowl, check out these two player profiles:

Nick Collins: http://www.fbgratings.com/members/pr...php?pyid=53604
Ryan Clark: http://www.fbgratings.com/members/profile.php?pyid=327

In the lower right corner of their ratings "box" it says "New 2010 OVERALLS Coming Soon: O" That indicates that both of these players have the Offseason status and are ready for Phase 2.

Phase 2: All players will be given "Training Camp" (T) status. This will be done in late July, 2011 and will include updated OVR ratings and all other individual attributes. This is where the most progress will be made.

Phase 3: All players will be given "Week 1" (W1) status for the 2011 regular season opener. All players will be on correct teams with updated OVR ratings and attributes. Players will then be updated again in weeks 4, 8, 12, and 16.

As you can see once the first 2 phases are complete, it gets really simple.
 
# 17 notque @ 01/25/11 12:40 PM
I run an online football text simulation game, http://deeproute.com

I wonder if I can use these ratings to help balance the current generic players. Would be pretty slick.
 
# 18 notque @ 01/25/11 12:42 PM
If you FBGRatings can post distributions of data, distributions of the ratings, I will use those ratings for the online text football sim.

I am always looking for more data. This would be awesome, and you could see the data play out in the games.
 
# 19 DCEBB2001 @ 01/25/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notque
I run an online football text simulation game, http://deeproute.com

I wonder if I can use these ratings to help balance the current generic players. Would be pretty slick.
You can use them however you like, but after looking at your attribute descriptions both systems will not be fully compatible with one another.
 
# 20 cdon2k @ 01/25/11 12:48 PM
Nice work, but as has been said, this game needs more than just ratings to fix madden in it's current state. NCAA's player momentum/interactions are head and shoulders above madden and that ruins the game for me. Madden just looks "weird" while NCAA is coming close to simulating realistic player movements.

That said, your site may influence Donny a bit and that could be good for the game so all is not lost.
 

« Previous1234567897879Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.