Home
Fight Night Champion News Post


The game looks to have an improved realistic lighting system and the ref in the ring looks like a nice addition.

My only concern was the the punches looked VERY slow, to the point where it looks distractingly bad. Can anyone confirm that the punch speed is going to be as slow as what is seen in this video?

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DaveDQ @ 12/06/10 12:06 PM
I saw it last night and will catch it again. The first thing that sort of bothered me was the audio in the intro sounded exactly like FN4's. The stats overlays looked better, but it bugged me that the audio was the same.

I noticed too that the punches looked slow and that the stun state looks to be the same. I don't mind that but the one who is doing the stunning needs to be able to take advantage of the moment. I liked how some of the knockdowns looked and how they talked about the one punch KOs.

I'm excited to see how things shape up.
 
# 2 JayBee74 @ 12/06/10 12:32 PM
I didn't think the punches looked that slow.

There is only analog punching in FNC. The producer said that it is easier to throw punches with the stick. Are the curved inputs gone for hooks and uppercuts?
 
# 3 born_bad @ 12/06/10 12:48 PM
It definitely sounds like they simplified the punch controls, so I'm curious what that means.

The hooks in particular looked strangely slow to me, but I'll have to watch it again to see.

I did like the way the game looked overall, was disappointed to hear the same exact commentary, too, and am also excited about the 1-punch KO he talked about and how it could be the 1st punch of the match.
 
# 4 wyrm187 @ 12/06/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Seeing Butterbean has tempered any expectations I have for the game. I swear the FN crew just doesn't get it.
butterbeans really in it . . .. .thats a shame
 
# 5 Vast @ 12/06/10 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Yes. And considering he takes a spot from Ward or Martinez or Froch or whomever that isn't a freaking sideshow joke....makes me want to vomit.
Mind-blowing really. I guess its equivalent to me being CEO of the Barbie dolls corporation. I'd probably make decisions that little girls would hate because i could care less about the product.

The people at EA just don't know what we want, and they don't really care. They've improved the game? yes. But we made lists of things that would improve the game exponentially, most if not all no brainers. Even still some glaring omissions.

Having a man who's never fought more than 4 rounds of boxing and really was just a sideshow freak, the face of the Toughman game back on Genesis, in the game is flabbergasting.
 
# 6 Phobia @ 12/06/10 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I didn't think the punches looked that slow.

There is only analog punching in FNC. The producer said that it is easier to throw punches with the stick. Are the curved inputs gone for hooks and uppercuts?
This is not true. Buttons are in and so is the Analog sticks. Yes curve inputs are gone. It is a simple flick of the stick. Body modifier to go low.

Read my gameplay blog. Explained in there
 
# 7 Phobia @ 12/06/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
This is why I know for a fact Brizzo and that crew do not know boxing. Butterbean is only the cherry on the top of their braindead decisions.

If you gave me a 10,000 fighters to put in Fight Night...Butterbean would never even enter my thought process.

I usually don't let videogames bother me...but knowing that the moment the roster is released and I look at it and immediately say to myself "where the f is x, y, z, etc..." but I see Butterbean...that just makes me furious.
See I don't understand this thought process. First of all they do know boxing pretty well. Second, just because they put in some extra fighters that YOU might not have wanted. What does it harm??

It is no different if I gave you 10 bucks but decided I was going to give you a extra dollar bill. Do you turn down the dollar bill because it is not significant enough for you??? In reality all it does is add to your amount.

The reason this bothers me is you act as if they did not go out and sign other fighters. That they just said "lets get butter bean and call it a night". What does it hurt to have him?? Hell many games add extra weird characters just for the hell of it. Look at Big John in EA MMA or The Tap out crew in UFC2010.

Also what do you mean he "takes a spot". They sign who will sign, plain and simple. You have ZERO way of knowing what Ward or Martinez request to be compensated for. You have no way of knowing the decisions that must be made to bring the title to your hands. Yet you act as if you know the ins and outs of signing major athletes. It is easier to act as if you know the whole routine, but the fact is you don't know.

This also touched a nerve with me not because I went to community day. I am far from a EA apologist. But you have ZERO facts to base any of your thoughts on. Just open bashing with no knowledge of what you are talking about. I don't go around talking as if I know everything about programming and hexeditors, because I don't know. Just the same as you have no idea what it entails to sign these major athletes
 
# 8 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/06/10 04:24 PM
This Butterbean news is more than disappointing. This almost reminds me of the Burger King being included in Round 3. I guess we're supposed to be happy because he actually boxed in some fashion, but it doesn't make any sense that they reached out to this guy to put him in the game. Any idea when we get a full roster list? I'm really curious to see how it's looking now.
 
# 9 Vast @ 12/06/10 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
See I don't understand this thought process. First of all they do know boxing pretty well. Second, just because they put in some extra fighters that YOU might not have wanted. What does it harm??

It is no different if I gave you 10 bucks but decided I was going to give you a extra dollar bill. Do you turn down the dollar bill because it is not significant enough for you??? In reality all it does is add to your amount.

The reason this bothers me is you act as if they did not go out and sign other fighters. That they just said "lets get butter bean and call it a night". What does it hurt to have him?? Hell many games add extra weird characters just for the hell of it. Look at Big John in EA MMA or The Tap out crew in UFC2010.

Also what do you mean he "takes a spot". They sign who will sign, plain and simple. You have ZERO way of knowing what Ward or Martinez request to be compensated for. You have no way of knowing the decisions that must be made to bring the title to your hands. Yet you act as if you know the ins and outs of signing major athletes. It is easier to act as if you know the whole routine, but the fact is you don't know.

This also touched a nerve with me not because I went to community day. I am far from a EA apologist. But you have ZERO facts to base any of your thoughts on. Just open bashing with no knowledge of what you are talking about. I don't go around talking as if I know everything about programming and hexeditors, because I don't know. Just the same as you have no idea what it entails to sign these major athletes
He shouldn't be in the game period. The artists shouldn't be wasting their time creating and rendering him. The budget shouldn't be reduced to include him. If i want him i'll just download from the internet or create him myself.

In boxing especially where its impossible to get a complete roster don't include people who aren't boxers when there are TONS of boxers we'd all rather have.

for example if i see that the Middleweight champ Sergio Martinez isn't in the game then i see that Butterbean IS in the game its going to piss me off tremendously. It shows they're reaching out to the wrong people.

They would be much better off not including him; we wouldn't have that reaction.
 
# 10 LilLowe @ 12/06/10 05:58 PM
Guess I'm the only one who thinks adding Butterbean is kinda funny? I wouldn't mind fighting with/against him a few times. I'm struggling to see the logic on how adding him takes away from the game.
 
# 11 Phobia @ 12/06/10 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLowe
Guess I'm the only one who thinks adding Butterbean is kinda funny? I wouldn't mind fighting with/against him a few times. I'm struggling to see the logic on how adding him takes away from the game.
Myself. You are talking literally only a extremely small fraction of the time spent on making the game went to BB.
 
# 12 DaveDQ @ 12/06/10 07:43 PM
Butterbean has been in previous versions. I don't care about that. In fact, he goes down in that video due to body shots. Makes sense to me.

Like Phobia noted, you have to consider what it takes to get certain fighters on a roster for a game. One guy may have requirements that EA simply can't meet. Claiming the addition of Butterbean means they know nothing about boxing is silly. Ali is on the roster, along with many other proven fighters. Does that mean the EA team are boxing genius?

It's way to early to be making assumptions on what they have done.
 
# 13 DaveDQ @ 12/06/10 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
And never assume who you are talking to...I have more information and knowledge of dealing with and signing athletes than you know. But I am not going to get involved in this as your paragraph screams not worthy of a discourse. But keep capitalizing "ZERO" to make your unsubstantiated points.
So you are just going to quote everyone you disagree with and tell them they are wrong, but not get involved in the discussion? You are putting way too much weight in the the inclusion of Butterbean. It's as if he was placed on the cover of the game. I don't understand your logic. Should other sports games exclude under performers?

EA has included a solid amount of boxers. Are some lacking? Sure. But I don't think they would purposefully seek out a guy like Butterbean more than they would an elite boxer.
 
# 14 Phobia @ 12/06/10 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I simply will not address you as you have zero objectivity. You are tainted. For you to even remotely defend the decision to include Butterbean simply tells me that you aren't worthy of a sensible dialogue. It is disturbing that you would even try to defend such a ridiculous and absurd decision to include Butterbean. You are wrong and I will not get caught up in a discussion where it is obviously pointless.
Really, because I think it is pointless to get work up over couple hours of work on ONE character????

You are the one going WAYYY over board. What about the other countless real boxers they did sign??? but because they sign one you don't agree with the whole game is crap and you have not even touched it.

I am sorry but YOU are the one tainted. I approach each game with a open mind and judge it on what I enjoy or don't enjoy. What I deem realistic or not. But what I don't do is jump to conclusions like yourself over petty stuff. I could careless if butter bean is in, hell I most likely would never use him so explain to me how that takes away from my experience???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
And never assume who you are talking to...I have more information and knowledge of dealing with and signing athletes than you know. But I am not going to get involved in this as your paragraph screams not worthy of a discourse. But keep capitalizing "ZERO" to make your unsubstantiated points.
Ok then explain to me how you know EA's budget? Explain to me how you know what each fighter they DID sign took home? Explain to me what fighters asked for to much and guys like yourself jump to conclusions that they did not try? So you know for a fact they did not use up their whole budget on real boxers and had a little extra left over so they said, "Hey think butter bean would take it??"......But wait, you know all these answers so I am all open to hear them.

Oh and you said that I supply zero???? What about this!
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ay-legacy.html

or this
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...questions.html

I comment on both good AND bad. Not a one sided "tainted" outlook as you describe. But I will go ahead and explain the differences between me and you since you have trouble explaining yours.

I am not out to get ANYONE. I respect the work these hundreds of game developers do. Countless hours behind a computer screen, tweaking for hours, just so "His color socks are the same as real" or "He displays his real style signatures". Then only to be ridiculed and put down on a personal level by people such as yourself because of the smallest things.

Be critical of the product, but when you bring it on a personal level I think it is tasteless and shows zero respect.
 
# 15 Motown @ 12/06/10 10:55 PM
 
# 16 paptester @ 12/06/10 11:22 PM
I am sorry but this games just looks disappointing. Expected so much more. The foot work looks the same, punches are slow and Butterbean what the hell couldn't get someone better.
 
# 17 lamoyou401 @ 12/06/10 11:23 PM
 
# 18 LilLowe @ 12/07/10 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paptester
I am sorry but this games just looks disappointing. Expected so much more. The foot work looks the same, punches are slow and Butterbean what the hell couldn't get someone better.
The only thing I'm really mad about is the footwork. Even Prizefighter had better footwork than this game. The thing that makes Pacman great is that his side to side movement is so great. He'll throw two punches, step right, throw another, step left, throw two more. It doesn't look like this will be represented in this game at all. It's a shame.
 
# 19 wyrm187 @ 12/07/10 07:44 AM
I agree Phobia - while im disappointed Butterbean is in the game, it's not a big deal. I have a solution to my dissatisfaction - Im not using him.

after watching the vid - the knockdowns look dramatically improved and the game looks overall tighter than last year. To me it looks like this game will deliver the goods - gameplay is what Im most concerned about and it looks pretty solid
 
# 20 DaveDQ @ 12/07/10 08:15 AM
Now that I have seen it twice, I don't think the punches look slow except for Manny. His head looks like him but it doesn't look like his style. He's seems sluggish and his hands look too big.
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.