EA's VP Patrick Soderlund told Computer and Video Games that Apple would have a good chance of competing in the console market:

"We asked Soderlund whether, if Apple were to make a move into mainstream gaming, it could challenge the big two with a console of its own.

"If it was anyone but Apple, I'd say that's going to be very hard," he replied.

"I still think it's going to be extremely hard for them but they've surprised many people before.

"Look at what they did with the iPhone, right? They are a truly brilliant company so I would give them a relatively good chance to succeed if they tried."

I tend to agree with Soderlund, I'd even say Apple could buy a few big name publishers to get its console idea going (with all its extra cash on hand) and link it with its existing platforms. It'd make a lot of sense and would really make a splash if it ever happened. Doubtful we'll see anything like this for awhile though.

Member Comments
# 1 dickey1331 @ 12/06/10 04:19 AM
I disagree. I dont think we need 4 major consoles and I dont think it will work in this day and age and knowing Apple it would cost a lot but anything can happen so we will see.

# 2 1WEiRDguy @ 12/06/10 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by dickey1331
this...

this is what happens when people make it ok for companies to get outside of what they do best...stick to the handheld genre

# 3 cdon2k @ 12/06/10 01:47 PM
Sounds like EA's lobbying to get bought. Could be due to many of their titles being down year over year. After years of Madden's quality being subpar and the NBA Elite fiasco, they are looking for apple to come in and put a shiny new coat of paint over the maligned EA Sports brand. Sadly, it could work.

# 4 squadron supreme @ 12/06/10 01:53 PM
I just don't see the videogame market being able to support four systems. Apple loves to overprice its hardware which you can get away with if you try to exploit an untapped market but Apple would be going up against recognized brand names. Plus I don't know how many mid to small tier developers would want to deal with Apples somewhat restrictive development policies.

# 5 GOBLUE_08 @ 12/06/10 07:23 PM
Apple releasing a console = a $1500 price tag for a console that companies wont want to develop for.

No thanks.

# 6 Uncle Stumpy @ 12/06/10 08:53 PM
I personally think the more consoles the better, because it forces each company to become that more aggressive and innovative.