Gran Turismo 5 News Post

The ridiculous news item of the day today is that Gran Turismo will take up to 50 minutes to install on your PS3, while also requiring 10GB of Hard Drive space, OUCH!

Today's poll is a simple question: is it a bit ridiculous to have an installation that big on a console? You can vote on the right on the frontpage and above you in the forums!

Game: Gran Turismo 5Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 16 - View All
Gran Turismo 5 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MeanMrMustard @ 11/19/10 01:15 PM
That's insane. 10 GB is 1/4 of my harddrive...

# 2 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/19/10 01:15 PM
No, not at all. If the game run smooth, I'm all for it.

# 3 bonannogiovanni @ 11/19/10 01:16 PM
While I think it's ridiculous in itself (50 minutes nowadays is the time taken to download a bunch of GBs, not to install them), it's more ridiculous the time we've waited for GT5 to hit shelves, so 50 minutes more are irrelevant to me. That's why I voted no.

# 4 TreyIM2 @ 11/19/10 01:18 PM
On the one hand, hell-yea, that's ridiculous but on the other, if it is a necessary evil, I'm playing devil's advocate ;P

# 5 TreyIM2 @ 11/19/10 01:19 PM
Oh, I'm talking about the install time being ridiculous. I'm good on the GBs. BEEN bought a 320GB HDD early last year.

# 6 Richzilla @ 11/19/10 01:39 PM
Depends on how good the game is......If it's great then it's worth the wait

# 7 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/19/10 01:39 PM

Also, it is optional.

But still, no.

To add, people love the feature that you can install games on the 360 which take up large chunks of real estate. And makes games run smoother and load faster, and is, just like this install, optional.

# 8 NotoriousReignz @ 11/19/10 01:55 PM
The makers of Gran Turismo 5 wanted only 5GB, Kevin Butler told them make it 10.

# 9 CM Hooe @ 11/19/10 01:56 PM
It doesn't take 50 minutes to install multi-disc PC games. I vote ridiculous.

# 10 jyoung @ 11/19/10 02:01 PM
Installing PC games like Unreal Tournament and Quake used to take about the same time and space on an older computer.

Guess we have gone back to the future!

# 11 Dazraz @ 11/19/10 02:09 PM
If the game lives up to the massive weight of expectation then the time/GB it takes will be justified. If not...

# 12 JohnnytheSkin @ 11/19/10 03:21 PM
No it's not...and if people can't wait 50 minutes to play a game or enjoy something, they have bigger problems.

If it improves performance, then it's worth it.

# 13 gigadkc @ 11/19/10 03:21 PM
yes, it is ridiculous but if it reduces loading times and stuff then that's okay. I mean u install it once, it's not like u have to do that a bazillion times. Install it, watch a movie, eat something or whatever and when u come back it's finished. Not a big deal imho.

# 14 DubTrey1 @ 11/19/10 03:29 PM
Wow, how many floppy's does this game come with LOL! It's like back in the day,..... PLEASE INSERT DISK 8. AND HIT ENTER -

# 15 adayinthelife @ 11/19/10 04:06 PM

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to seem someone on a message board somewhere proclaiming that they won't purchase the game now because of this.

# 16 Blzer @ 11/19/10 06:59 PM
How big is this game? I think I'll be fine.

# 17 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/19/10 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Blzer
How big is this game? I think I'll be fine.
Massive!

I am just stunned at all the "yes" votes.

Spoiler

# 18 DaReapa @ 11/19/10 07:50 PM
Is it ridiculous? Maybe. Is it a deal breaker? Not hardly. Like someone earlier said, if it cuts down load time throughout the game, then what's an hour for leisure compared to the hundreds of hours I'm sure many will invest down the road (pun intended).

# 19 DaReapa @ 11/19/10 07:53 PM
adayinthelife
"Who cares? I don't understand why this is such a big deal, especially since you know that it takes a lot of time and space to install BEFORE you made the purchase. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone on a message board somewhere proclaiming that they won't purchase the game now because of this."

You speak a sad truth.

# 20 GOBLUE_08 @ 11/19/10 07:56 PM
This game is gonna be insanely good, so the 50 minute wait will be worth it im sure