Home
EA Sports MMA News Post


According to CVG, EA Sports MMA hasn't sold many copies and with THQ and Zuffa, LLC extending their exclusive UFC videogame license through 2018, it might be one and done, for EA Sports MMA.

Quote:
"EA is likely to back out of the mixed martial arts genre after its debut offering, EA Sports MMA, made a poor start at retail.

That's according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz, who thinks UFC Undisputed maker THQ may have scored a knockout blow in the MMA battle between the publishers.

"EA's recently released 'MMA' appears to be more or less DOA at retail, while UFC recently announced an extension of its license with THQ, likely putting an end to EA's efforts to expand into the mixed martial arts genre," the analyst said in a research note this morning."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ExtremeGamer @ 10/25/10 06:40 AM
I figured it sold poorly, I was the only reserve at my Gamestop. In comparison, the manager said they had almost 100 reserves for UFC 2010.

It's a shame as it's a good groundwork for a franchise. Hopefully THQ steals the control scheme at least. LOL
 
# 2 jubba910 @ 10/25/10 07:31 AM
I'm glad that EA now knows how it feels to not have a Lisence for a sport. They killed 2K Football, so it's karma.
 
# 3 TheShizNo1 @ 10/25/10 07:47 AM
Funny, most of my beloved games were 1 and doners; APF & Backer. Thanks EA!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
 
# 4 russwg1970 @ 10/25/10 07:57 AM
Karma for sure, but this game is really, really good - with the best career mode I have ever seen in any fighting game to date. I won't play UFC with that stupid shine mechanic. At least this game has a good create a fighter mode, and figter share.
 
# 5 Phobia @ 10/25/10 08:00 AM
This is really sad. The best MMA game is going to vanish
 
# 6 SHAKYR @ 10/25/10 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwg1970
Karma for sure, but this game is really, really good - with the best career mode I have ever seen in any fighting game to date. I won't play UFC with that stupid shine mechanic. At least this game has a good create a fighter mode, and figter share.
At least this game has a good create a fighter mode, and figter share.

you are not serious, are you?
 
# 7 n8ccwa @ 10/25/10 08:21 AM
This is terrible news. I feel like EA hit a homerun with this game and now hearing that it's a one and done really sucks.
 
# 8 CaptainZombie @ 10/25/10 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I figured it sold poorly, I was the only reserve at my Gamestop. In comparison, the manager said they had almost 100 reserves for UFC 2010.

It's a shame as it's a good groundwork for a franchise. Hopefully THQ steals the control scheme at least. LOL
THQ probably will.........but knowing them, you just never know. LOL!

I still have not played the full version, but hearing this, I smell a price drop very soon. I still have $15 off Gamer coupon from Best Buy for this game.......being a Silver RZ member, if the price drops in 45 days they will match it.
 
# 9 Mos1ted @ 10/25/10 09:18 AM
I didn't buy the retail either (I'm not an MMA fan), but the control scheme is pretty nice in this game. That would probably be the deciding factor for me to get it in the future (after a price drop though).
 
# 10 sb24 @ 10/25/10 09:20 AM
I knew I should have been patient and waited on a price drop. I knew this was comming. The best games/movies/projects always get ignored by the masses. When they do get embraced, the company/game ends up selling out and making a "mass appeal" arcade game (UFC 10).

I cant imagine the smile on Dana Whites face right now. EA insulted him, saw the sucess of the UFC game, wanted a piece of the pie, and now will be one and done on the MMA genre(and I assume lost money on the project). His ultimate revenge yet of course we as the consumer are the only ones to actually suffer.
 
# 11 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
I knew I should have been patient and waited on a price drop. I knew this was comming. The best games/movies/projects always get ignored by the masses. When they do get embraced, the company/game ends up selling out and making a "mass appeal" arcade game (UFC 10).

I cant imagine the smile on Dana Whites face right now. EA insulted him, saw the sucess of the UFC game, wanted a piece of the pie, and now will be one and done on the MMA genre(and I assume lost money on the project). His ultimate revenge yet of course we as the consumer are the only ones to actually suffer.

Its EA's fault. They were close minded, didnt see the future and insulted Dana and the sport. They said it wasnt a sport. I find that funny especially coming from a company that produced Arena Football and College Baseball games.

I love EA MMA but anyone who thought this game would sell is crazy. There are only two recognizable fighters in this game to anyone except for hardcore MMA fans. Casual fans dont watch Strikeforce and thats why the casual fan wont buy this game.
 
# 12 ballgameronny @ 10/25/10 09:44 AM
This game is head and shoulders above UFC 2010. I do love everything about it, and will be shame to have this game cancelled when it is a gem of a game.
 
# 13 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/25/10 11:03 AM
I doubt it be one and done, even with poor sales, EA has deep pockets and could absorb bad sales. I mean hell look at their street games, those sold poorly but they still sold it for 3 years straight.

It would be a shame though, THQ killed wrestling games when they got the WWE license for a long term contract years ago and they will do the same with MMA by having the UFC contract for long term.
 
# 14 TreyIM2 @ 10/25/10 11:12 AM
I didn't get into either games from 09 to now and I don't really watch MMA but I have played each demo. I have to say, as much as I dug the UFC demos, I liked the MMA demo a lot more because of the controls. The graphics were sweet, too. I am seriously considering this game so my nephew and I can have another game to rock on.
 
# 15 BankHoldup @ 10/25/10 12:22 PM
It's very disappointing that, despite previous iterations, this is a sport that's very new to video games, and it's already dominated by the name on the game box. I was so disappointed and angered by UFC 2010 because it was Yukes showing their true colors. I was then disappointed by the early videos for this, and even the demo wasn't that good, but the end product has been incredible. It's very possible that this game could see a resurgence when word of mouth continues to travel around.

With regards to a second game though, wasn't this destined to be an every other year series? Like, this year is MMA, next year is Fight Night, then the year after that is MMA, and on, and on? If EA continues to make money elsewhere, it's very possible they continue on with this to help build a brand. It's also not as if EA doesn't take chances. Dead Space, for example, was a huge risk EA took with publishing that game, and it turned out to be a winner. They will also beat a dead horse as much as someone like Activision, so don't be shocked if there is an EA MMA 2 at some point down the line. And if there isn't, I hope the main people behind this get jobs at Yukes developing UFC games.
 
# 16 statum71 @ 10/25/10 01:09 PM
Too bad. Actually I'm a UFC 10 guy. But I played the demo for EA MMA and it wasn't bad. Just not quite good enough for me to have it over UFC.

I have so many other sports that I only have time for one MMA game. So I stick with UFC
 
# 17 econoodle @ 10/25/10 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I doubt it be one and done, even with poor sales, EA has deep pockets and could absorb bad sales. I mean hell look at their street games, those sold poorly but they still sold it for 3 years straight.

It would be a shame though, THQ killed wrestling games when they got the WWE license for a long term contract years ago and they will do the same with MMA by having the UFC contract for long term.

i agree.
it wont be one and done.
'three and out' is more likely.

besides this is an analyst saying this.
the same types who predicted GTA V announcements at E3 and arrival of tthe WII HD which never happened.
 
# 18 Cyros @ 10/25/10 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubba910
I'm glad that EA now knows how it feels to not have a Lisence for a sport. They killed 2K Football, so it's karma.
Except they had previously lost their baseball game (MVP Baseball) to a licensing deal between MLB and Take Two.
 
# 19 CX1329 @ 10/25/10 02:17 PM
It would be horrible if they discontinued this series. It's the first ever MMA game with a somewhat realistic stand-up game, and it had things that UFC couldn't even begin to touch, like the amazing damage model, a wealth of different animations, different rulesets, rings, a submission system that doesn't require you to "shine" anything, and so on. I think the MMA market could definitely enjoy some competition, and thus, I'd hate for THQ to have the only MMA game around.
 
# 20 bkfount @ 10/25/10 02:24 PM
yeah, this is just analyst speculation. EA had to have some realistic idea what their sales would be for the initial outing of their non UFC MMA game. They put out a solid base and can build on it for the next one.

It had a small market anyways, as many UFC fans aren't actually MMA fans, but maybe the horrible demo turned some buyers away. Word of mouth and long term support from EA can help recover some of that.
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.