Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

ESPN Videogames' Jon Robinson and recently announced play-by-play man Gus Johnson teamed together in this Madden NFL 11 video.

Quote:
"One of the biggest complaints the EA Sports design team heard about "Madden NFL 10" was the lack of energy and emotion from the announce team. When you're playing a video game, do you want to listen to stale play-by-play where the announcer simply deadpans: "He's at the 20. He's at the 10. Touchdown." Or would you rather hear a passionate call where Chris Johnson breaks into the open field and you hear the announcer shout out: "He's got getting away from the cops speed!"

Enter Gus Johnson.

The crew at EA Sports wanted to do a major overhaul to the audio presentation in the game, and in doing so, signed the hippest, most electric play-by-play man in the booth. And by signing Gus Johnson to voice "Madden NFL 11" and beyond (along with Cris Collinsworth for color commentary), they are adding Johnson's signature style, catchphrases, and energy to every down of the game.

"You have to remember, when the 'Madden' series first started, we only had 500 lines of commentary," explains the game's audio designer, Ronnie Morales. "Today we have over 90,000 lines, so we wanted somebody who can deliver those iconic calls, those calls that give you chills, and Gus Johnson is the only guy out there right now who can deliver that type of experience."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/21/10 04:18 PM
Play by play is sounding good right now. I'm also glad that this is prealpha Madden 11. Because the game looks very choppy sluggish right there. But can't wait to see full videos in about 3 weeks from E3. Thanks steveo.
 
# 2 arsenal123gunners @ 05/21/10 04:18 PM
awesome, so excited to listen to Gus Johnson through my surround sound speakers
 
# 3 Checmate101 @ 05/21/10 04:19 PM
commentary was great, gameplay stale..I know I know, it's pre alpha
 
# 4 TheGipper86 @ 05/21/10 04:20 PM
Anyone else feel like EA went full force today to kinda negate the Backbreaker demo release? I mean, it can't be coincidence that we get NCAA/Madden updates the same day....can it?
 
# 5 bonannogiovanni @ 05/21/10 04:27 PM
Isn't That the same video posted earlier on Kotaku?
 
# 6 huskerwr38 @ 05/21/10 04:49 PM
I don't get it, but was that actual recorded commentary that we will hear in game or did he say that he had Gus Johnson and Jon Robinson watch the gameplay and do commentary. So if the latter part is true, this is not what we would be hearing in game exactly right?
 
# 7 SteelerSpartan @ 05/21/10 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I don't get it, but was that actual recorded commentary that we will hear in game or did he say that he had Gus Johnson and Jon Robinson watch the gameplay and do commentary. So if the latter part is true, this is not what we would be hearing in game exactly right?

its the latter....hopefully they won't butcher Gus's stuff and it still sounds good in the game
 
# 8 huskerwr38 @ 05/21/10 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
its the latter....hopefully they won't butcher Gus's stuff and it still sounds good in the game
I'm not sure how they write the stuff for the commentary, but I hope they just let the commentators do their thing and write their own stuff.
 
# 9 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/21/10 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checmate101
commentary was great, gameplay stale..I know I know, it's pre alpha
That pretty much what it is. That's why it is prealpha build. So gameplay has gotten better since then.
 
# 10 jmik58 @ 05/21/10 05:12 PM
Why don't they just put the commentators in a miniature box and ship it with my game. Then they can call the play by play live.

Then if I sold my game to someone else, EA could charge that person $10 to access the Gus-in-a-box feature.
 
# 11 cowboy_kmoney @ 05/21/10 05:19 PM
Gus and Collinsworth is going to take this game over the top.
 
# 12 roadman @ 05/21/10 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Why don't they just put the commentators in a miniature box and ship it with my game. Then they can call the play by play live.

Then if I sold my game to someone else, EA could charge that person $10 to access the Gus-in-a-box feature.
Our survey said!
 
# 13 Lava @ 05/21/10 05:28 PM
Nice video. Let's hope the final in-game commentary can live up to the hype, and that Collinsworth sounds better working with Johnson than Robinson did.
 
# 14 TracerBullet @ 05/21/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I'm not sure how they write the stuff for the commentary, but I hope they just let the commentators do their thing and write their own stuff.
Usually the staff writes out the commentary. This year, however, they hired writers. They did say they never interfered with what Gus was doing in the booth. They never told him he was too loud or anything like that. Gus also said they gave him a ton of material to go off of. So hopefully its some good stuff.
 
# 15 Vikes1 @ 05/21/10 05:47 PM
If the commentary ends up sounding anything like in this video, what a huge change it would bring.

Thank God EA Tiburon at least listened to one thing...to get rid of Tom Hammond. For what ever the reason, he was terrible.
 
# 16 Cryolemon @ 05/21/10 06:21 PM
I personally think the Madden team would do well to look at MLB 2k10's commentary, which is fantastic. Gus Johnson should be a definite improvement though.
 
# 17 cdon2k @ 05/21/10 06:48 PM
Quoted from the other thread from PacMan83

"How are you making sense? Anyone spending $60 a product only have themselves to blame for not reading the info on it.....Where do these people/ideas come from??? Seriously, of all the conspiracy theories...A lot of times, we create our own smoke screens man."

Yes, we all know that the general public are OUTSTANDING when it comes to doing their own reaserch. No one has ever bought a product based on misinformation before lol. Hell, i'm a poster on OS and I barely caught it do to the fact that I have been busy today. I found it strange that Collinsworth wasn't there and saw an extra link to Kotaku where I actually read the story and rewatched the video. I am not a Madden basher, hell I am even excited for gameflow as I am a "shorter game" person. I love what they are doing with '11, but this seemed like they were trying to slide one by and with the recent 10$ online code, I am sorry if even I am starting to get a bit jaded.
 
# 18 Lava @ 05/21/10 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Quoted from the other thread from PacMan83

"How are you making sense? Anyone spending $60 a product only have themselves to blame for not reading the info on it.....Where do these people/ideas come from??? Seriously, of all the conspiracy theories...A lot of times, we create our own smoke screens man."

Yes, we all know that the general public are OUTSTANDING when it comes to doing their own reaserch. No one has ever bought a product based on misinformation before lol. Hell, i'm a poster on OS and I barely caught it do to the fact that I have been busy today. I found it strange that Collinsworth wasn't there and saw an extra link to Kotaku where I actually read the story and rewatched the video. I am not a Madden basher, hell I am even excited for gameflow as I am a "shorter game" person. I love what they are doing with '11, but this seemed like they were trying to slide one by and with the recent 10$ online code, I am sorry if even I am starting to get a bit jaded.
Think about it: why on earth would EA want anyone to believe that those non-professional, horrible commentators would be replacing Collinsworth this year? They wouldn't. They weren't trying to slide anything by, let it go.
 
# 19 davep @ 05/21/10 07:11 PM
As someone else mentioned...gameplay looked incredibly stale, identical to '10. And I'm not even sure why they released that commentary...it was great, but I could do a voice over watching a madden game and it wouldn't sound half bad.
 
# 20 cdon2k @ 05/21/10 07:23 PM
Good point, I thought of that, but even if it was unintentional, they misrepresented their product at best... and downright lied at worst. Yeah the other guy sounded bad, but hearing Gus live over the game was amazing. I just believe that he will sound no where near that performance in game. It's really not worth it though, consider it dropped.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.