Home
UFC Undisputed 2010 News Post


Pastapadre has posted some interesting news regarding a required code to play UFC Undisputed 2010.

Quote:
"Earlier this week word started leaking out that THQ would be including a unique one-time use code in new copies of UFC 2010 Undisputed. This code provides access to all online play functionality. If a used copy of the game is bought or if the game is rented, one would have to purchase a code through the marketplace."

Destructoid has an official response from THQ.

Quote:
"THQ is delivering a truly unmatched online gaming experience for fans of UFC and across all fighting games in general. The main enhancement of UFC Undisputed 2010’s premium online content is the new “Fight Camp Mode” in which players can assemble ranks of up to 40 people and train together. This is a significant value-add to the game as players can continually improve their skills by training with their friends and bringing teams of MMA specialists together.

This multiplayer content for UFC Undisputed 2010 will be available via a one-time code included with the game at purchase. Codes for accessing the content will be available for second-time buyers for an additional $5.

Details for acquiring the codes and how this will work will be available via the UFC community site."

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
UFC Undisputed 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sb24 @ 05/19/10 09:43 PM
I do not like this. I am buying the game new so no problems for me but hate that this is where the gaming industry is heading.
 
# 2 jeremym480 @ 05/19/10 09:46 PM
Damn EA..... Oh wait... This isn't EA's... So EA's not the only company doing it.

Awesome news!

Only because I love being right!
 
# 3 allBthere @ 05/19/10 09:52 PM
Things like this, especially if they are taken too far, will drive me away from gaming. Total crap. I can't believe MS and Sony are allowing this.

yes I'm getting the game so it doesn't technically affect me, but I disagree with it and soon it will affect me when I just rent a game or buy it used.

It will bug me even if it never affects me lol.
 
# 4 TheGipper86 @ 05/19/10 10:23 PM
This bugs me. I don't have a problem when they do it for extra DLC and what not, ala Mass Effect 2, but when you start taking out components of the game, it just kinda makes you look like a wiener.
 
# 5 CreatineKasey @ 05/19/10 10:24 PM
People better complain about this too. There was a 500 post thread hating on EA for doing this exact thing.

I'm waiting....
 
# 6 Acedeck @ 05/19/10 10:33 PM
I'm sure Sony and MS don't mind because they claim they are "offering bonus content" with the promotional code. We all know they aren't offering anything different than they would've done before.

*waves* Bye Gamestop. It was nice while it lasted.
 
# 7 phant030 @ 05/19/10 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
People better complain about this too. There was a 500 post thread hating on EA for doing this exact thing.

I'm waiting....
This...i was got caught in that argument (defending the developers).
 
# 8 DaoudS @ 05/19/10 11:31 PM
There goes the idea of renting the game...
 
# 9 boritter @ 05/19/10 11:46 PM
So far EA, Ubisoft, and THQ have announced some form of an online code system. I expect a lot more companies to follow.
 
# 10 Trevelyan @ 05/20/10 12:09 AM
I was going to buy this game, but I was already wavering on it because I don't think they did enough to freshen the game up, so after this BS I'm going to cancel my pre-order tomorrow.

I know a bunch of people will put up with crap like this no matter what, and don't care that they screw up future decisions that developers/publishers make, but I won't be a part of it. (For example, a $15 map pack for MW2, that 3 million+ people have bought, which means all DLC prices are going way up)
 
# 11 eeyor @ 05/20/10 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoudS
There goes the idea of renting the game...
If they are doing it like EA does I see no problem in trying it first:
From EA Page
Do I need to purchase an Online Pass when I rent a game?
Each Xbox LIVE gamertag or Sony PSN ID is entitled to a free 7 day trial per title. Beyond that, users will be required to redeem or purchase Online Pass access.
 
# 12 DaoudS @ 05/20/10 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAdrianPI
REASONS WHY THIS IS HAPPENING:

1. Many gamers are addicted. Look a the tobacco industry. Most people just cannot quit cold turkey because of years of addiction and thus will make any excuse on why the companies should nickle and dime you.
WHY?
a)The younger you are the more easily manipulated you are. So essentially anyone early 20's and lower will have a harder time quitting and saying no to companies.
b) Intelligence plays a big part in this. The higher IQ person is more likely to differentiate right from wrong in the business world and outside.

2)Used games offer price competition. Anyone notice game companies don't compete price wise. It's cohesion but legal because corporates can do what they want. Used games are essentially price competition and logically new games should have lowered their price to compete.
The last time their was a price competition in the game industry EA bought the NFL license and ended it.Remember NFL2k series was 20 bucks and Madden started dropping its price to 40 and eventually 30 dollars.

3) When you buy a game should you not have a right to resell it? Like a used car. Like a house. Like a ( fill in the blank)

4) Essentially you cannot trade/lend/borrow games from your friends and family.

5) Game companies are not losing money. Essentially the person who buys the game originally already paid for the online service. He sells the game and simply extends the games life. It is not adding any extra strain on the game companies part.

6) Sports games need to stop the roster updates. Clearly Madden buyers are addicted. The game has made very little improvements and is still behind NFL2k5. That's six years ago.

WHAT TO DO? SAY NO STOP PURCHASING AND THEY WILL STOP THIS AND THE DLC BULL CRAP!!
QFT. Pay for Live and then pay $5 to access every game? I call bull****.
 
# 13 Trevelyan @ 05/20/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
just curious, why does this make you all the sudden not want to buy the game? If you buy the game, you get a code with the game so you'll have nothing to worry about. This only really effects people who buy the game used and i guess this is a way to encourage people to buy it new instead of waiting to buy it cheaper used. This was theyre still getting their money even if you buy it used for a lower price. But if you buy it new you get the code and can play online no problem so i dont know why this of all things would make you all the sudden decide to not preorder the game.
Well, I kinda said it before but let me explain myself better. I buy 95% of my games new, because I don't buy that much stuff and I have a pretty good feel for games I'm going to play a lot of, and get my moneys worth. Plus, I was already wavering on this game, and then I played the demo and got even more down on it, I just don't feel like much changed in terms of the gameplay or new features. I'm also concerned the online play won't run much better in terms of lag. Even when you had a game running as well as possible on 2009 between two people, it wasn't a very good experience. Timing is more important in fighting games than any other game on the market, so every little bit of lag is frustrating, and I'm primarily a online gamer.

Now on top of that, lets say for the sake of argument that I do get it, I have a bunch of friends who are on the fence whether or not to get UFC, and now I can't even tell them to go rent it, because unless there is a trial period, we won't even be able to play online with each other.

It pretty much comes down to principle for me, and I don't like the way publishers are going with their decision making. This is like piracy on the PC, where the people who are pirating games don't give a crap that they're making them harder to pirate, they're going to break the protection anyway, all you do is make it harder for your legit customers to enjoy their purchases. This is in the same vein when it comes to used game purchases. Publishers are so greedy that they'll screw customers to get what they want(less used games sales), and its going to work because people will buy games anyway. Does anyone really believe people won't buy madden because of EA sports pass?

Sorry if I went into a long winded rant.
 
# 14 bkfount @ 05/20/10 01:02 AM
Whatever. As I said in the EA threads, this makes me more inclined to not even buy the game. I just can't support this BS, even with a brand new purchase.
 
# 15 Azamien @ 05/20/10 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAdrianPI
2)Used games offer price competition.
It's not about used games offering price competition. It's about the fact that the game publishers make $0.00 on used games.

Surely I'm not the only person who thinks it's not out-of-line for companies to want to get paid for copies of their games that get sold. Businesses exist to make money, and the cost of making A-AAA titles is rising more and more.

The alternative to DLC/online codes/whatever would be for the big companies to demand that chains like Gamestop stop dealing in used games, or start demanding a cut of the sales. The former would be a huge disaster for Gamestop, and the latter would be a huge disaster for anyone who wants to buy used games since the price of them would rise to make up for the loss of profit by the stores.

The answer is simple: if you want the features included only in new copies, but don't want to pay full release price, wait until the price drops.
 
# 16 TracerBullet @ 05/20/10 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
People better complain about this too. There was a 500 post thread hating on EA for doing this exact thing.

I'm waiting....
This right here. If there isn't outrage against this then there goes the credibility of a lot of people in that thread.
 
# 17 Trevelyan @ 05/20/10 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
It's not about used games offering price competition. It's about the fact that the game publishers make $0.00 on used games.

Surely I'm not the only person who thinks it's not out-of-line for companies to want to get paid for copies of their games that get sold. Businesses exist to make money, and the cost of making A-AAA titles is rising more and more.

The alternative to DLC/online codes/whatever would be for the big companies to demand that chains like Gamestop stop dealing in used games, or start demanding a cut of the sales. The former would be a huge disaster for Gamestop, and the latter would be a huge disaster for anyone who wants to buy used games since the price of them would rise to make up for the loss of profit by the stores.

The answer is simple: if you want the features included only in new copies, but don't want to pay full release price, wait until the price drops.
That is a really scary opinion to have for the future of the video game industry, and us, the consumer, but I think what you're saying is the exact reasoning publishers would use.

I think its terrible how in the era of DLC/patching games, everything that people complained would happen 5 years ago, is now commonplace and accepted. Games are being released with huge problems all the time because developers know people will live with them while they take months to roll a patch out.(NBA 2K series) Games are being released with content left out, that they then release a few weeks or a month later at a premium, and now, we're onto the next step, games are being released with portions of the game locked on the disc, and you better buy them the way they want you to or you're screwed.

The only way things like this stop happening is if people stop buying games with this crap built into them, money is the only thing publishers understand. I truly believe 80-90% of the people who buy games really won't change their habits though, so who knows what the next step will be.
 
# 18 SHAKYR @ 05/20/10 04:42 AM
When the fans give in to this it's easier to keep making it cost more, first $5, then 10
 
# 19 elgreazy1 @ 05/20/10 07:06 AM
Unfortunately it seems like the gaming industry is going to try to suck us dry of every penny we earn. This is not right, but really there is nothing the consumer can do.

The problem here is that gaming companies aren't even trying to find a different avenue of dealing with the used gaming industry. It seems they're simply accepting Gamestop for the borderline monopoly that it is and instead of attacking that segment of the market they're taking it out on the customers.
 
# 20 Jukeman @ 05/20/10 08:20 AM
This the type of crap that makes you want to boycott thing...

Im buying the game no doubt but this will open of doors for other companies to try this...

As of now, online play is the strong point of many games(not really saying much) while offline play is left untouched, shorthanded, or flawed in AI...

Basically if you dont buy "our" game you are shorthanded and F you for not buying...

I wonder how much will they charge for the code? anything over $5 is

Oh and not only do I have to pay to have access online(MS) I have to pay even more to play online with a rented/used game??? CRAZINESS

My Xbox live membership was over almost 2weeks ago, they are still trying to charging a old card with no money on it, but my access to xbox live is still working() and after this post they prolly will cut it off but I am not in a rush to pay them after this news...

I know one thing for sure is that there better not be any lag or cheats going on online if they trying to charge second hand buyers...
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.