Home
News Post

Quote:
"In what appears to be an effort to combat the rising sales of used games (the publishers don't make a dime when you buy used), EA Sports is introducing a new initiative called Online Pass. Beginning with "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11" gamers will now need to register with a game-specific online code to unlock full online access as well as any bonus content to sports games on the Xbox 360 and PS3."

Read more about the Online Pass at ESPN Videogames.

EA Sports has posted an FAQ, right here as well as a short Q&A, right here.

Member Comments
# 1 sportznut02 @ 05/10/10 08:47 PM
Can`t say that I blame EA for doing this. I mostly buy my games new so it will not effect me.
 
# 2 BlueNGold @ 05/10/10 08:58 PM
This is bordering on ridiculous IMO. I mean, I don't agree with how used games work (only benefiting the store and not the game makers) but this isn't the way they should be going about getting rid of it.

I can't imagine how many people there are going to be that aren't as "connected" with the going-ons as people like us that will go to a game store and look and see something like Madden 11 sitting on the game shelfs. One is $69.99, the other is $59.99 (using Canadian prices btw). Obviously, that uninformed person will buy the cheaper, used version and then they'll take that game home, try to play online with their buddies and find out "Oh hey, I have to pay $10 just to go online!". Dumb.
 
# 3 Timmy458 @ 05/10/10 09:00 PM
I personally don't see it hurting used games as much as people who rent games. I rent from gamefly most of the time and I have been on the fence about Madden and I won't know how online play is and I am not paying $10 for renting it just to see how the online play is.
 
# 4 BlueNGold @ 05/10/10 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy458
I personally don't see it hurting used games as much as people who rent games. I rent from gamefly most of the time and I have been on the fence about Madden and I won't know how online play is and I am not paying $10 for renting it just to see how the online play is.
Great point. Didn't think about that. Hopefully EA will allow rental places to have the full online features but I doubt it.
 
# 5 cinders @ 05/10/10 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy458
I personally don't see it hurting used games as much as people who rent games. I rent from gamefly most of the time and I have been on the fence about Madden and I won't know how online play is and I am not paying $10 for renting it just to see how the online play is.
I believe they're offering seven day free trials for people who don't want to buy the pass right away, so I think you're covered.

...I guess we all had to see this coming, right? Still disappointing though.
 
# 6 murph17 @ 05/10/10 09:15 PM
Rental places won't get the code - but EA says they get a 7-day trial. I'll give them some credit for that move - it's more than they offered with the 2010 titles (Madden Online Franchise and NCAA Team Builder were $10 extra). Still a pretty d*ck move. I want to know if the code gets tied to your Gamertag or the Console. If it's Gamertag specific (and it probably is), other people in the same household are gonna get hit up for $10 to play online. B.S.
 
# 7 Valdarez @ 05/10/10 09:52 PM
How greedy can one company get. This is the equivalent of a tax on the poor. The guys who buy their game used, who WANT to play online, are more than likely buying it used because they can't AFFORD the game new. The guys like me, who buy it used because of the low quality of the product, don't care one way or another. The game (think Madden here) isn't WORTH playing online. Keep your code.

Peter Moore has ruined EA Sports. This is a horrible idea that only hurts, takes advantage of, those who are already disadvantaged. Way to go Peter Moore. You've stuck it to the little guys once again. Seems to be your specialty.
 
# 8 Sigma4Life @ 05/10/10 10:38 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. Providing online infrastructure isn't free. Why should EA continue to provide online services for people that they didn't actually receive money from. A used game is basically a free game from EA's perspective so I agree with the move.
 
# 9 SHAKYR @ 05/10/10 10:53 PM
so basically we will be paying full price for a used game and they are trying to keep people from returning their games.

Gamestop is going to stop buying or trading used games.
 
# 10 yamabushi @ 05/10/10 11:14 PM
The real point of this is EA thinking this is somehow going to get them more new sales, theyre wrong. In the end theyll gain more mistrust from an already weary consumer.
 
# 11 CreatineKasey @ 05/10/10 11:42 PM
It makes sense to me. Many people don't even use the "extra features" anyway. A good example is online franchise. People should plan to see more of this from all gaming companies.
 
# 12 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/11/10 12:21 AM
Well I pretty much buy new anyway. So no worries on my part.
 
# 13 BlueNGold @ 05/11/10 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatorD83
"again, we think its fair to get paid for the services we provide and to reserve these online services for people who pay EA to access them. In return, well continue to invest in creating great games and offer industry-leading online services to extend the game experience to everyone."

Great games? HAhaha. Theyre fun but man EA does not make great games.
NHL and FIFA are great games so I don't know what you're talking about.
 
# 14 4solo @ 05/11/10 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
Makes perfect sense to me. Providing online infrastructure isn't free. Why should EA continue to provide online services for people that they didn't actually receive money from. A used game is basically a free game from EA's perspective so I agree with the move.
It doesn't make sense b/c the game has already been purchased new by someone or else it would not be used. It is not a free game. With the original purchase of the game EA made the money to sustain whatever infrastructure the online features needed for that particular disc. So now if u trade a game in EA is basically charging again for online services that are covered in the original purchased. Someone buying a used game is just the same as if I purchased the game new and let a friend borrow the game, either way the game was purchased new and it should be allowed to access all the features no matter who plays it. I mean i can't even let my lil bro borrow the game unless he plays 10 bucks to get online! Man we are getting stuck good. lol
 
# 15 CM Hooe @ 05/11/10 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
How greedy can one company get. This is the equivalent of a tax on the poor. The guys who buy their game used, who WANT to play online, are more than likely buying it used because they can't AFFORD the game new. The guys like me, who buy it used because of the low quality of the product, don't care one way or another. The game (think Madden here) isn't WORTH playing online. Keep your code.

Peter Moore has ruined EA Sports. This is a horrible idea that only hurts, takes advantage of, those who are already disadvantaged. Way to go Peter Moore. You've stuck it to the little guys once again. Seems to be your specialty.
Playing the Devil's Advocate, why should EA support online features for consumers who won't directly support EA and their ability to maintain those online features? EA doesn't make money to make new Madden games and have them online-enabled from those who buy the game used.

I fully understand the idea, and frankly I don't know how else EA would combat the used sales problem. No, "making a better product" isn't a viable answer because those who buy the game used will probably buy the game used regardless how good the game is.
 
# 16 DJDReW3102 @ 05/11/10 05:23 AM
can say that i'm definitely NOT surprised at what EA is doing here. with a company that is committed to (sans fifa & nhl) half-baked rehashes of previous versions. "we are about providing quality and this is how it will happen"........yeaaaaah right.
 
# 17 Fiddy @ 05/11/10 05:58 AM
so, let me get this straight. ea is gonna make ya pay for their online service if you game fly the games etc and want to play online. fine, but you know what ea, why dont you actually make sure your servers work and games run smooth first. thanks!!
 
# 18 rudyjuly2 @ 05/11/10 06:32 AM
I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. The used game industry is huge and companies make a lot of money on it which also hurts the game publisher. This was inevitable and I don't have a problem with it. Developer costs are at an all time high and yet game prices are actually very low when factoring in inflation. I plan on buying NCAA 11 on the first day anyways.
 
# 19 Sigma4Life @ 05/11/10 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
It doesn't make sense b/c the game has already been purchased new by someone or else it would not be used. It is not a free game. With the original purchase of the game EA made the money to sustain whatever infrastructure the online features needed for that particular disc. So now if u trade a game in EA is basically charging again for online services that are covered in the original purchased. Someone buying a used game is just the same as if I purchased the game new and let a friend borrow the game, either way the game was purchased new and it should be allowed to access all the features no matter who plays it. I mean i can't even let my lil bro borrow the game unless he plays 10 bucks to get online! Man we are getting stuck good. lol
You make good points. I think the problem is we associate possession the game disc as giving us the right to game online. In the new model EA is tying online gaming priviledges to the user. Basically we are moving towards subscription based gaming.

What's the point in 'owning' a game you won't care to play in 6 months anyways? I'd rather pay $5 to $10 a month to lease it. I think eventually the Madden game disc will be given away for free and you'll need to activate it on your console.
 
# 20 rudyjuly2 @ 05/11/10 09:38 AM
The truth is that development costs are really rising (http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...as-high-as-28m) while sales and game prices are not going up at the same rate. That means profits are dropping. Combine that with the explosion in the used gaming market due to e-bay and every company from Gamestop to Best Buy making lots of money, which cuts out the first party, it's not hard to see where this decision is coming from.

It doesn't matter if this will hurt some gamers or if it's fair. This is all about the bottom line which every company cares about. This will make EA more money and that's why they are doing it. It's why we see more in game ads and DLC options. This is just another step in the evolution of gaming, like it or not.
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.