Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted their hands-on preview of NCAA Football 11, going over 120 ways to win.

Quote:
"A new play-calling screen gives you more in-depth access to your playbook and lets you quickly cycle between different formations by pressing up or down on the D pad, which is handy when you're running the no-huddle offense yourself. There are also button shortcuts for quick access to special teams or goal line plays that we found to be very handy. As in previous years, you can still organize your plays by formation, coach's suggestion, or by play type, but the ability to choose plays by individual player has been removed. The game-planning system that was a big addition last year is still in NCAA 11, with a few new added categories on offense and defense (such as deciding how to play against mobile quarterbacks on defense or how aggressively you play no huddle when on offense). In addition, you'll still be able to set plays up as you did in NCAA 10.

On the field, perhaps the most obvious change in NCAA 11 is the lighting--for lack of a better term, the players, the stadiums, and especially the replays have a more cinematic feel to them. Small details like self-shadowing on players helps here, and we found ourselves pausing to watch replays, which is something we'd button through like mad in previous years. New skin textures bring a more realistic look to the players, and there are a lot of depth-of-field camera tricks that bring the action on the field to life."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 82 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Palo20 @ 04/23/10 04:13 PM
"When asked which of NCAA 11's features he'd most like people to know about, EA Sports' Ben Haumiller pointed to the new option blocking, which, according to Haumiller, has improved the option playbooks a great deal. He uses the triple option as an example: In addition to blocking assignments being clearly spelled out in the playbook, after the snap, the quarterback will stick the ball in the halfbacks gut and run along with him, giving you the time to keep your eye on the defensive end who might or might not be coming down to try to interrupt the play. If the end bites and crashes down, you can keep the ball and run with it; if he stays in position, you can hand the ball off and let the back do his thing.*"


Very nice
 
# 2 bh446066 @ 04/23/10 04:18 PM
I think what gives me the most hope from reading all the press releases and reviews, is that all the features being touted are "on the field" gameplay and presentation type stuff. Not a bunch of season showdown or anything fluffy or frivolous like that. It really seems they are truly concentrating on improving the gameplay, and judging by the early reviews, it appears they've done so.
 
# 3 Ziza9Noles94 @ 04/23/10 04:57 PM
As unpopular as it is to say, I'm hopeful and excited by what I've been reading as well. Can't wait to actually see all of this in action.
 
# 4 moylan1234 @ 04/23/10 08:57 PM
I think all the talk about different offensive styles will be a great addition, but for dynasty people we really need to hear one of two things to make this feature relevant. Either the CPU will recruit players that fit their playbook or they'll change their style based on personnel
 
# 5 mgoblue678 @ 04/23/10 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I think all the talk about different offensive styles will be a great addition, but for dynasty people we really need to hear one of two things to make this feature relevant. Either the CPU will recruit players that fit their playbook or they'll change their style based on personnel
Agreed, that is something I think people are forgetting. All the styles are great but they don't mean a whole lot if the CPU teams don't recruit the right kind of player. Hopefully they took this into consideration.

I would like to hear if the qb read/qb choice play will actually work this year with the addition of locomotion. That is a big part of certain spread offenses.
 
# 6 canes21 @ 04/23/10 09:19 PM
Since we are getting authentic offenses. Are we going to be able to expect the defenses to play somewhat more realistic too?
 
# 7 mgoblue678 @ 04/23/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Since we are getting authentic offenses. Are we going to be able to expect the defenses to play somewhat more realistic too?
I hope so
 
# 8 cam21224 @ 04/23/10 09:30 PM
"During our time with NCAA 11, we managed to play a full game between our Auburn Tigers and the Michigan Wolverines. It was a matchup that featured two teams that play very similar styles of football--both run the spread and both use no huddle liberally. We were pleasantly surprised, however, to find out that the CPU Wolverines weren't running no huddle the entire game; instead, they chose the precisely correct moments to keep the momentum moving, such as after a big gain when the defensive players were tired. Having to deal not just with the problems of matchups but also the deteriorating stamina of players who have been on the field for a while lends new depth to the gameplay."

My favorite part of the preview.
 
# 9 MaizeHaze @ 04/23/10 09:31 PM
Another thing that I'm excited about are the new cut scenes. This is a huge new addition imo! Hopefully now after a score or a big turnover etc. we won't see the players turn and walk back to the sidelines as if nothing happened. Rather see them now erupt on the sidelines or the team celebrating in the endzone after a score. There are lots of situations in which to implament cut scenes to make the game look even more realistic!
 
# 10 seawolves9 @ 04/23/10 09:46 PM
If they've got a coaching carousel for dyansty mode, that'd be fantastic.. Because I, personally, don't wanna see teams running their same kind of offense 20 years in to dynasty mode, especially when they've had mulitple unsuccessful seasons without it.
 
# 11 TreyIM2 @ 04/23/10 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam21224
"During our time with NCAA 11, we managed to play a full game between our Auburn Tigers and the Michigan Wolverines. It was a matchup that featured two teams that play very similar styles of football--both run the spread and both use no huddle liberally. We were pleasantly surprised, however, to find out that the CPU Wolverines weren't running no huddle the entire game; instead, they chose the precisely correct moments to keep the momentum moving, such as after a big gain when the defensive players were tired. Having to deal not just with the problems of matchups but also the deteriorating stamina of players who have been on the field for a while lends new depth to the gameplay."

My favorite part of the preview.
Ditto
 
# 12 MaizeHaze @ 04/23/10 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
If they've got a coaching carousel for dyansty mode, that'd be fantastic.. Because I, personally, don't wanna see teams running their same kind of offense 20 years in to dynasty mode, especially when they've had mulitple unsuccessful seasons without it.
Now that things like team entrances, espn integration and locomotion have been added, coaching carousel moves to the top of my wish list along side active coaches/coordinators on the sidelines. Two big things that I'm hoping are next to be announced!
 
# 13 rudyjuly2 @ 04/24/10 07:18 AM
I just can't believe all the info we're getting on this game right now and it's all good gameplay related stuff. Maybe they should have spread it out a little more lol. Just wait until Monday when the cd guys can talk more.
 
# 14 BenGerman @ 04/24/10 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I just can't believe all the info we're getting on this game right now and it's all good gameplay related stuff. Maybe they should have spread it out a little more lol. Just wait until Monday when the cd guys can talk more.
I agree, we dont seem to get this kind of info most years. I'm hoping Dynasty info leaves us with about a month of info, and the Demo takes us into the last month.
 
# 15 bartolet7 @ 04/24/10 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
I think what gives me the most hope from reading all the press releases and reviews, is that all the features being touted are "on the field" gameplay and presentation type stuff. Not a bunch of season showdown or anything fluffy or frivolous like that. It really seems they are truly concentrating on improving the gameplay, and judging by the early reviews, it appears they've done so.
Agree 100%. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.
 
# 16 reco @ 04/27/10 06:02 PM
gamespot.com has a new video tried to post it but dont know how i guess.
 
# 17 reco @ 04/27/10 06:13 PM
its a interview with ben and russ
 
# 18 reco @ 04/27/10 06:14 PM
thanks dude!
 
# 19 canes21 @ 04/27/10 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMagic91
4sho. They're just showing the same stuff now. I want to at least get a little taste of that ESPM presentation. It must not be much since they havent showed any of it yet. I cld care less about the 120 ways to win. lol. The CPU will just be a little smarter is all they are saying
No... The ESPN presentation will probably be on the same level of NCAA Basketball 10 which was good. The reason they aren't showing much of it is because all of the videos coming out are from the gameplay event. The event was meant to show off 120 ways to win, locomotion, etc. It was meant to show off the new presentation.

And it does not mean The CPU will just be a little smarter is all they are saying. It means the teams will play like themselves and playbooks will be a lot more authentic. We'll now have plays the teams ran last year. We won't be stuck with a basic playbook each team had, we'll have a greatly detailed playbook. Judging from the videos, I've seen a lot of new plays that are unique to one team. Thats a great sign.

Also, the CPU isn't going to just call plays better, they're going to play better. With what I said earlier, teams have authentic playbooks. So the CPU will call plays that that team really called last year. Also, the new 120 ways to win comes with a tweaked AI if I am not mistaken that will make the CPU aware of what the situation is so they call the plays like the real team did. They'll run the same 1st and 10 plays, 3rd and medium plays, etc.

The CPU will also play more like their real life doppleganger. If you played against Missouri in any past NCAA game, they'll have a spread playbook, but that is it. Now, they'll be as authentic as ever. They'll have their real plays and they'll run them like in real life. In the old NCAA games, when laying Mizzou, they still huddled up and gave you time to rest, make subs, etc. Now, in 11 they'll constantly run the no huddle offense like in real life. So not only are they going to call a realistic game, they'll play one too. When playing Missouri in 11, I'll have to make big plays or my defense will become tired fast.

The CPU is not going to just call plays smarter, its going to play tons more realistic. Stop hating and listen to what they are actually saying...
 
# 20 canes21 @ 04/27/10 06:46 PM
Are you being serious or sarcastic? lol
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.