Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

1up has posted their early look at EA Sports MMA.

Quote:
"The game's strike control system, mapped to the right stick, is based on Fight Night's "Total Punch" control scheme. Defense also plays a part in the game as you dodge, parry, and duck while moving around the ring. You need to be wary of your fighter's stamina; as it can be lessened by taking punches to the body, grappling, and also by missing punches you throw.

EA Tiburon promises that the game's "Flash Knockout" feature is no roll of the dice, meaning a lucky punch won't knock you out. It does mean, however, that if you take too much of a risk and stick your chin out too far, one deliberately-placed punch will drop you to the canvas."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JoeMimic @ 03/10/10 05:00 AM
Good picture of Cung Le and Nick Diaz in game in the article. Can't wait for gameplay videos!
 
# 2 phillyfan23 @ 03/10/10 05:04 AM
the article says the game won't have any lucky punches resulting in KOs????

lucky punches for KOs is a pretty big part of this sport. Hope the flash Kos in the EARLY rounds are well represented. I do not want to be playing mma like it's street fighter. deplete the bar and then KO.
 
# 3 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/10/10 08:37 AM
Only 28 fighters for an MMA game is pretty rough. Thought they'd go out and sign more guys than that.
 
# 4 aholbert32 @ 03/10/10 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Only 28 fighters for an MMA game is pretty rough. Thought they'd go out and sign more guys than that.

Who else is there left to sign? They have the major Dream and Strikeforce fighters (even some lesser known ones like Prangley). Other than Bellator, there really isnt anyone left.
 
# 5 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/10/10 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Who else is there left to sign? They have the major Dream and Strikeforce fighters (even some lesser known ones like Prangley). Other than Bellator, there really isnt anyone left.
When you put it like that, you're probably right. The number of fighters on UFC's roster makes it tough for any other game to compete with. Still looking foward to the trying out EA MMA, just figured there would be more fighters to choose from.
 
# 6 Stumbleweed @ 03/10/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
is it me or does Diaz & Lee look somewhat strange in that picture? I dont know what it is about it but it doesnt look that good. I mean you can tell who they are, it isnt like they dont look like the guys but something about the entire player model that looks a little off, might just be the coloring.
Yeah, they look like creepy flesh-colored modeling clay.
 
# 7 judgejudy @ 03/10/10 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Only 28 fighters for an MMA game is pretty rough. Thought they'd go out and sign more guys than that.
I assume the create a fighter system will be as good, if not better, than fn4 which makes the amount of fighters in game irrelevent imho
 
# 8 aholbert32 @ 03/10/10 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
I assume the create a fighter system will be as good, if not better, than fn4 which makes the amount of fighters in game irrelevent imho
Not for me. I like having official fighters because they look more like their actual counterparts than CAFs. Plus there is commentary for official fighters. FN4's CAFs are good but I still havent found a CAF that looks enough like Floyd Mayweather or Clottey.
 
# 9 judgejudy @ 03/10/10 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Not for me. I like having official fighters because they look more like their actual counterparts than CAFs. Plus there is commentary for official fighters. FN4's CAFs are good but I still havent found a CAF that looks enough like Floyd Mayweather or Clottey.
True, I really hope they take the commentary up a few notches. I hated hearing the same stupid one-liners multiple times in a fight while playing FN
 
# 10 sammy g @ 03/10/10 02:34 PM
If the gameplay and the create-a-fighter system is good, then i don't think having only 28 fighters will be that much of a problem.
 
# 11 Phillmattic @ 03/10/10 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
How about the minor ones? Not every fighter has to be a superstar. It's nice to have tiers of fighters, so you can work your way up.
As mentioned before, Bellator has a nice pool of up and coming talent. Eddie Alvarez would be a nice addition.

I'm thinking they'll probably round it out with some more Dream and Strikeforce fighters. There are still some notable fighters absent like Werdum, Big Foot, Sokoudjou, Overeem, Sakurai, Hansen, etc.
 
# 12 aholbert32 @ 03/10/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
How about the minor ones? Not every fighter has to be a superstar. It's nice to have tiers of fighters, so you can work your way up.

Other than Bellator, why go through the effort when most people wont know who the hell these guys are? If I'm EA, I have choice between paying Joey Gambeino $10K or just creating a fake fighter named John Marshall and making him accessible in Exhibition and Career modes....I'm going with the latter.
 
# 13 aholbert32 @ 03/10/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
As mentioned before, Bellator has a nice pool of up and coming talent. Eddie Alvarez would be a nice addition.

I'm thinking they'll probably round it out with some more Dream and Strikeforce fighters. There are still some notable fighters absent like Werdum, Big Foot, Sokoudjou, Overeem, Sakurai, Hansen, etc.
I'm assuming that some of those guys will be announced.
 
# 14 Phillmattic @ 03/10/10 04:07 PM
One thing that may soften the blow of a light roster is the fact that they seem to be working to make each fighter unique to their real life counterpart. So far we've seen Cung Le doing his own mocap, and guys like Mayhem, King Mo, and Jacare working down at the EA studios.

If their fight engine overall is pretty deep, combined with TRULY individual fighters, then it gets a pass from me.
 
# 15 judgejudy @ 03/10/10 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
One thing that may soften the blow of a light roster is the fact that they seem to be working to make each fighter unique to their real life counterpart. So far we've seen Cung Le doing his own mocap, and guys like Mayhem, King Mo, and Jacare working down at the EA studios.

If their fight engine overall is pretty deep, combined with TRULY individual fighters, then it gets a pass from me.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen015.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen017.jpg
these two pics of Nick Diaz tell me the fighters will definitely have their individual styles.
 
# 16 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/10/10 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen015.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen017.jpg
these two pics of Nick Diaz tell me the fighters will definitely have their individual styles.
Nice.
 
# 17 Phillmattic @ 03/11/10 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen015.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen017.jpg
these two pics of Nick Diaz tell me the fighters will definitely have their individual styles.
Cool. Way better than styles based on category.

Also it looks like we'll be getting a gameplay video next week. Via their twitter acount:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeSwe
@EASPORTSMMA When are gameplay videos coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EASPORTSMMA
@BumblebeeSwe video is coming next week
Edit: Also an interview from the press event. http://www.easports.com/media/play/f...TS-MMA-_SEASON
 
# 18 Gotmadskillzson @ 03/11/10 11:24 AM
Looks like they were dipped in a bucket of mop n glo
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.