Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted some Madden NFL 11 hints from the EA Season Opener.

Quote:
"The average game took 63 minutes in Madden NFL 10, despite the fact that players were only playing football for 17 of those minutes. EA Sports promised that they'll deliver a faster experience in Madden NFL 11 for those who want to sit down and play for a few minutes and then get up and move on to the next activity. They gave no indication of how this would be accomplished, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager that they'll be adding a "hurry up" option to the list of presentation settings similar to what we see in this year's crop of MLB titles.

Another interesting factoid had to do with playcalling. Madden NFL 10 included 330 plays. The average user used 13 of them. I'm not exactly sure how they're going to get people to explore the playbook, but some sort of simplification is clearly needed."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Evan_OS @ 03/09/10 10:39 PM
I wonder what they are going to do to make other users explore the playbooks. Personally, I've gone threw just about all of them lol.
 
# 2 fahrenheit @ 03/09/10 10:42 PM
Can't cut scenes be skipped already? And isn't there already a really simplified play calling system (as in choose pass, then choose the play).

I wonder, also, how much of those 13 play callers are the people that play online and call like 4 offensive plays the whole game? I really hope they don't do something stupid because of that statistic.
 
# 3 splff3000 @ 03/09/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
Can't cut scenes be skipped already? And isn't there already a really simplified play calling system (as in choose pass, then choose the play).

I wonder, also, how much of those 13 play callers are the people that play online and call like 4 offensive plays the whole game? I really hope they don't do something stupid because of that statistic.
I was thinking the same thing for just about everything they mentioned lol.
 
# 4 jyoung @ 03/09/10 11:37 PM
The games probably take 60+ minutes because people are calling the same handful of pass plays over and over again.

More passes = less time off the clock = games that drag on forever.
 
# 5 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/10/10 12:19 AM
Well we finally got some piece of news about what madden team is working on and so on. This could mean they may be giving fans what they want in a ingame save option to save in the middle of the game and come back to it later. Who knows. But hopefully in the next few weeks Ian and group will take aa while from work long enough to write up a blog for us.
 
# 6 achain @ 03/10/10 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
how about this... add in game saves

now you can play for 17 minutes, save your game, and come back later... AMAZING!
No kidding. EA is seriously ******** if they think giving us quicker and more arcade-like gameplay is going to solve the issue.
 
# 7 xboxxerx @ 03/10/10 01:44 AM
boregard and bill. i agree with both of your posts. i would also like to see us be able to have the preseason rosters to make cuts. it used to be all about realism. it seems they lost focus when they cornered the market and got the NFL rights.
 
# 8 murdamann10 @ 03/10/10 02:44 AM
If you read the last part of the article, they state that they got all of the information from ONLINE games, so don't feel discouraged, they have more common sense than that to make assumptions........i hope.
 
# 9 Jump @ 03/10/10 06:00 AM
Like the IGN writer said, simpler and deeper? Good luck with that.
 
# 10 DaveDQ @ 03/10/10 07:20 AM
To me this is the wrong direction. Put "In game" saves in there if you can't or don't want to play longer than it will take.

I'm getting a bit weary of the patronizing tactics they continue to put out, year after year. They drop these "little hints" that make the whole development cycle seem so shallow.

Just develop the game and talk about important fixes and improvements.
 
# 11 djordan @ 03/10/10 07:22 AM
I really hope they don't make this game less realistic. Not liking what I am hearing so far.
 
# 12 CreatineKasey @ 03/10/10 07:24 AM
76% of Madden gamers play online. There's your answer offline franchise guys. It's not a big priority to them.

I remember people claiming only 5% of Madden gamers play online and junk like that despite me arguing otherwise.

Online franchise and other online functions such as game balance and solid gameplay are priorities for sure.
 
# 13 TheWatcher @ 03/10/10 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
IGN has posted some Madden NFL 11 hints from the EA Season Opener.


"The average game took 63 minutes in Madden NFL 10, despite the fact that players were only playing football for 17 of those minutes. EA Sports promised that they'll deliver a faster experience in Madden NFL 11 for those who want to sit down and play for a few minutes and then get up and move on to the next activity. They gave no indication of how this would be accomplished, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager that they'll be adding a "hurry up" option to the list of presentation settings similar to what we see in this year's crop of MLB titles.

Another interesting factoid had to do with playcalling. Madden NFL 10 included 330 plays. The average user used 13 of them. I'm not exactly sure how they're going to get people to explore the playbook, but some sort of simplification is clearly needed."
Want a faster game? Play on 2 minutes.

And call me crazy, but I thought presentation was already in hurry-up mode. Unless you count the cutscenes you can't skip, everything else seems to fly-by too fast, but I'm a presentation guy so non-presentation folks wouldn't see it that way I guess...
 
# 14 djordan @ 03/10/10 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Want a faster game? Play on 2 minutes.

And call me crazy, but I thought presentation was already in hurry-up mode. Unless you count the cutscenes you can't skip, everything else seems to fly-by too fast, but I'm a presentation guy so non-presentation folks wouldn't see it that way I guess...
EXACTLY!!!! Seems like they are catering to the people who want to play 10-15 minute pick up and go games. For Madden 11 just make all cut scenes skippable with the press of the X button. Why make the gameplay faster when we have 4 options of game speed?
 
# 15 randers @ 03/10/10 07:50 AM
i wonder if these stat donk realize that online games average roughly 70 total plays or 35 plays /team /game.

so DUHHHHH, you're not gonna get through your whole playbook in a short azz game.

Nice statistical sample size and research.
 
# 16 roadman @ 03/10/10 08:07 AM
Sounds like to me they want to add an option like Hurry Up in 2k baseball. As long as it's an option and not a requirement, I'm ok with it, just ok, though.

Sound like they want more multi-taskers to play.
 
# 17 Valdarez @ 03/10/10 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
how about this... add in game saves

now you can play for 17 minutes, save your game, and come back later... AMAZING!
Bingo. I'd place my money on it.
 
# 18 BezO @ 03/10/10 09:01 AM
Quote:
"simpler, quicker and deeper experience."
Simpler? They already have pre-packaged defenses, ask Madden, ect.

Quicker? Maybe beef up and reorganize the playbooks so folks won't have to spend all day searching for plays.

How they'll make the game deeper AND simpler/quicker is beyond me.

Quote:
The average game took 63 minutes in Madden NFL 10
I bet the other 46 minutes were spent twiddling through their sub par playbooks.

Quote:
They gave no indication of how this would be accomplished, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager that they'll be adding a "hurry up" option to the list of presentation settings similar to what we see in this year's crop of MLB titles.
I hope that's all they do.

Quote:
Another interesting factoid had to do with playcalling. Madden NFL 10 included 330 plays. The average user used 13 of them. I'm not exactly sure how they're going to get people to explore the playbook, but some sort of simplification is clearly needed
They playbooks suck! How about...

Offense: NFL teams fun many plays that look similar, from different formations. Problem with Madden is that, if you want to run a lead, for example, you can only find it in one, maybe 2 formations. Leads should be in every 2-back set. Screens should be in EVERY formation, especially for teams like Philly. We shouldn't have to search for this stuff. This is another reason folks spend so much time "not playing".

Defense: The only thing worse than the offensive playbook is the defensive playbook. First, the pre-packaged schemes have to go. Tier the playbook already. The reason I never used more than a few "plays" is because most of the pre-packaged schemes suck. If I want to run a 4-3 Man 1, for example, I'm stuck with Madden's 2-3 pre-packaged "plays". Cover 1, WOLB should be in every base front. There shouldn't be much in the 4-3 normal that's not available from the 4-3 over, under, stack, ect.

I know it's early, but I haven't heard a single Madden 11 fact that peaked my curiosity.
 
# 19 ODogg @ 03/10/10 09:19 AM
BezO - those last two paragraphs on offense and defense - QFT brother!!!!!!!!
 
# 20 CreatineKasey @ 03/10/10 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
One of the reasons behind that 76% of online players is because the offline hasn't been worth playing in next gen at all.

Two buggy, shallow and uninspired modes that are as stale as the game itself. No wonder people go to online, it's really the only enjoyment you can find with the product unless you're brand spankin new to the game.
I disagree. The reason people play online is that they want to compete against other people. It's the same way for most video games outside of RPG's. Think: even games with great story modes like MGS have online options.

Sports are meant to be played against other people. The most engaging competition should and will come from another human mind trying to beat you. The computer is meant to lose. It's more depressing than anything to lose to a computer. It's meant to be beat.

Sports games aren't made like other arcade games in the past such as Donkey Kong and Galaga. In the past, playing humans was limited so the computer was extremely difficult. That's just not the case in sports games. Even so, AI logic doesn't resemble what a human would do and therefore it really takes away from the immersion IMO.

I think sports games are the pinnacle of online gaming right there with RTS. In fact, I try to view sports football games as a sports version of RTS. Playing it like a chess match is very enjoyable. Games like this thrive on human competition. The better they make the online experience, the better their product will do IMO.
 

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.