Home
MLB 10 News Post

Today marks my second review using my blog. I just want to remind everyone these are meant to be a supplement to our already awesome reviews. Both of our official reviews will be released later this week since our writers didn't get the game until release and we kind of still believe in writing good in-depth reviews. But for today, here is my take on MLB '10: The Show:

Quote:
"And then there was MLB '10: The Show.

Last year, I thought The Show was the pinnacle of our genre. It represented the sport of baseball better than any game had before it, it was oozing with atmosphere, and despite a few minor flaws, the game was simply amazing.

That whole experience is even better this year. No game has ever simulated the sport of baseball nearly as well as MLB '10: The Show simulates the sport, it is simply a must own for anyone who even remotely considers themselves a baseball fan."

Read More - Chris' MLB '10: The Show Review

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 64 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 choadler @ 03/03/10 11:50 AM
Couldn't agree more!
 
# 2 Bob Digital @ 03/03/10 11:54 AM
That's basically what I've been thinkin' / experiencing since I bought MLB 10 yesterday.
 
# 3 Tomba @ 03/03/10 12:02 PM
Game shipped with too many issues. It feels less smooth than last years to me and the camera angles should have been modifable for batter and pitcher like early reports said they would be.

The new broadcast cam doesn't sink well with the action and makes the field look too small. It also feels like the action lags or is at a slower framerate in this camera mode. Hopefully a patch fixes this.

Batting is perfect but pitching is not. the ball looks like a white dot while throwing it and classic pitching still doesn't have a better meter.

Player models are amazingly detailed but look short and stocky.

I completely thought that 09 was a masterpiece but for mlb 10 to match it or surpass it needed the above comments not even be a part of the conversation when talking about mlb 10 but they sadly are.

Too high of a rating IMHO Chris
 
# 4 GaryT531 @ 03/03/10 12:08 PM
I havn't bought a baseball game since Bases Loaded II when I was in 7th grade. I think it's time to check this series out after hearing nothing but positive reviews.
 
# 5 moemoe24 @ 03/03/10 12:20 PM
I dont see how anyone could say one critical thing about this game. Best game, hands down, Ive ever played.
 
# 6 ComfortablyLomb @ 03/03/10 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Batting is perfect but pitching is not. the ball looks like a white dot while throwing it and classic pitching still doesn't have a better meter.
I actually think pitching is IMPROVED over last year's game. What drove me nuts last year was the finickiness of pitcher confidence. A couple ugly innings versus an AI pitcher and they would be in super-human mode while a couple bad pitches to the AI and a guy who had been cruising might be on the ropes. This year it seems weighted a lot more toward the middle and I think the game benefits from it.

Quote:
I completely thought that 09 was a masterpiece but for mlb 10 to match it or surpass it needed the above comments not even be a part of the conversation when talking about mlb 10 but they sadly are.
The franchise bugs are frustrating but the devs have indicated that they will be addressed. Assuming they are I think there's going to be some consensus that this is the best baseball game in recent memory. I get the whole "games shouldn't ship with these issues" thing but the fact of the matter is that sports games aren't complete until they've received a second patch these days. Arguably, the biggest problem is the reviews are simply out too soon. It's like reviewing a movie before its final cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24
I dont see how anyone could say one critical thing about this game. Best game, hands down, Ive ever played.
Well all the franchise bugs are worth some chatter but they're getting fixed (supposedly). On the field this game ROCKS.
 
# 7 MrDhWhat @ 03/03/10 12:52 PM
Just Awesome thanks!
 
# 8 CarolinaBlue704 @ 03/03/10 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Game shipped with too many issues. It feels less smooth than last years to me and the camera angles should have been modifable for batter and pitcher like early reports said they would be.

The new broadcast cam doesn't sink well with the action and makes the field look too small. It also feels like the action lags or is at a slower framerate in this camera mode. Hopefully a patch fixes this.

Batting is perfect but pitching is not. the ball looks like a white dot while throwing it and classic pitching still doesn't have a better meter.

Player models are amazingly detailed but look short and stocky.

I completely thought that 09 was a masterpiece but for mlb 10 to match it or surpass it needed the above comments not even be a part of the conversation when talking about mlb 10 but they sadly are.

Too high of a rating IMHO Chris
I don't know what game you're playing,but my copy of The Show 10 plays like a dream.And I have no doubt that all the minor bugs will be patched soon.09 shipped with its fair share of issues as well that were later patched.

The Show is not only the best baseball game I've played,but its also the best sports title I've ever played.The attention to detail is just amazing.I played The Show 09 for 10 months,and in my opinion every aspect of 09 has been improved in The Show 10.

Great review Chris,this is definitely a five star game.
 
# 9 econoodle @ 03/03/10 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Today marks my second review using my blog. I just want to remind everyone these are meant to be a supplement to our already awesome reviews. Both of our official reviews will be released later this week since our writers didn't get the game until release and we kind of still believe in writing good in-depth reviews. But for today, here is my take on MLB '10: The Show:



Read More - Chris' MLB '10: The Show Review

Chris, these thoughts, the OS community's and the OS official reviews are the only ones on the web i read anymore.

the only ones that matter online.
 
# 10 Bob Digital @ 03/03/10 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Batting is perfect but pitching is not. the ball looks like a white dot while throwing it and classic pitching still doesn't have a better meter.
Does classic pitching even involve a meter ? Maybe you meant meter pitching ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Player models are amazingly detailed but look short and stocky.
Right, right.. We've heard this one before. I can't wait 'til they recreate the player models, so I don't have to read that anymore. I honestly don't even mind the player model's flaws in MLB 10. Like, my mind doesn't notice the imperfections.
 
# 11 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/03/10 02:31 PM
Quote:
That whole experience is even better this year. No game has ever simulated the sport of baseball nearly as well as MLB '10: The Show simulates the sport, it is simply a must own for anyone who even remotely considers themselves a baseball fan.
This is all that needs to be said.
 
# 12 MMChrisS @ 03/03/10 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
Chris, these thoughts, the OS community's and the OS official reviews are the only ones on the web i read anymore.

the only ones that matter online.
Thanks man! Much appreciated! We do try our very best for you guys!
 
# 13 PhantomPain @ 03/03/10 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
I think alot of the media sites sat on this. Its a given that MLB09 was a classic, albeit filled with minor flaws that are somewhat always overlooked, but to not let MLB10 stand on its own merit is wrong. How can anyone just blab on about how great a game is when it didnt release a demo, has ratings inaccuracies, dominant hitting/weak pitching, and a "sameness" to it. How many times have chastised other devs of "staying the same". Ive just played a few games of dodgers vs mets, and its the same game as last year. The same. NOT a BAD thing. but its the same...for 60 bucks? And you will start to hear HONEST people in here state the same. if it aint broke dont fix it , but dang, couldn't you have did anything? the game is boring...and this is not about anyother game. I am speaking of my time playing MLB10, its the same as last year, I like yearly innovations implemented. something. And my buddy never pitches strikes! lol
Either you didn't play '09 very much and are just assuming, or you are currently playing '09 and thinking it is '10. The game is NOT the same. There has been a TON of things added to this game and how you can overlook that is beyond me. No, there is nothing innovative with it. There is no rock and fire pitching or analog hitting. That may or may not be added in the future, that's up to SCEA. But the game is now coming into it's own and being a complete game. You can't expect MAJOR changes until they at least perfect what they already have.

Now they have not only a base to work with that is awesome, but many features that are there as well. So if they want to find something innovative or different to add, they can do so easier knowing that everything else (sans he minor bugs that are getting fixed) is working great.

Best news for you is that this isn't the only iteration of baseball this year. There is at least one other option. Hope you find something you find enjoyable.
 
# 14 Vast @ 03/03/10 04:37 PM
Can someone please tell me why this game is soo much better than mlb 2k10?

I thought the pitcher/batter duel in 2k10 was really good.
 
# 15 Buckeyes_Doc @ 03/03/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue704
I don't know what game you're playing,but my copy of The Show 10 plays like a dream.And I have no doubt that all the minor bugs will be patched soon.09 shipped with its fair share of issues as well that were later patched.

The Show is not only the best baseball game I've played,but its also the best sports title I've ever played.The attention to detail is just amazing.I played The Show 09 for 10 months,and in my opinion every aspect of 09 has been improved in The Show 10.

Great review Chris,this is definitely a five star game.
I wouldn't call player potential a minor bug. It makes franchise and RTTS to a lesser extent unplayable until its fixed on Monday.

Anyways the Show 10 is a great game and really simulates the game of baseball perfectly. I feel like I'm at the park when playing this game. The atmosphere is stunning and everything is very authentic. The Show in recent years has made me a bigger fan of baseball.
 
# 16 anneman @ 03/03/10 06:06 PM
Please please please help me understand the steps for hitting. Please let me know if I am hitting correctly.
The pitcher is on the mound getting the sign from the catcher. At this point do you:

1. Press R2 and the pitching icon at the same time?

2.Move the left stick to the direction/area you think the ball will be pitched to. If you think it will be outside to a right handed batted you move the left stick to the right? Do you have to hold the stick or just tap it to the left?

3. Move the right stick in the direction of where you want to hit the ball. Do you have to hold the stick or just tap it.

4. Finally you press X to swing the bat? When you swing should you be holding or pressing anything else? Please respond. I love the game but I can't hit.

If these steps are incorrect please let me know what to do......then watch out because I CAN pitch.

David
 
# 17 moemoe24 @ 03/03/10 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
I think alot of the media sites sat on this. Its a given that MLB09 was a classic, albeit filled with minor flaws that are somewhat always overlooked, but to not let MLB10 stand on its own merit is wrong. How can anyone just blab on about how great a game is when it didnt release a demo, has ratings inaccuracies, dominant hitting/weak pitching, and a "sameness" to it. How many times have chastised other devs of "staying the same". Ive just played a few games of dodgers vs mets, and its the same game as last year. The same. NOT a BAD thing. but its the same...for 60 bucks? And you will start to hear HONEST people in here state the same. if it aint broke dont fix it , but dang, couldn't you have did anything? the game is boring...and this is not about anyother game. I am speaking of my time playing MLB10, its the same as last year, I like yearly innovations implemented. something. And my buddy never pitches strikes! lol
Spoken from a guy that has to play the "other game" because he has no PS3. Thats ok though, I understand. A couple years back, before I had the cash to go get a PS3, I used to say the same things you're saying. You try to convince yourself that The Show isnt that good because you cant play it. I feel your pain man. Just keep plugging along. Maybe one day you can get your hands on a PS3.
 
# 18 bkrich83 @ 03/03/10 11:04 PM
Best sports game I have ever played (imo).
 
# 19 econoodle @ 03/03/10 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Thanks man! Much appreciated! We do try our very best for you guys!
no problem.
i know you guys do, from reviews to cleaning out the trash.
the rules have tightened as this site gets bigger and bigger and because of the professionalism here, we all win.
 
# 20 texasgmr @ 03/04/10 11:26 AM
Well said! Great review.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.