Home
News Post

Phonetic Arts launches PA Commentator version 2010.1, revolutionizing sports game commentary production. What are your thoughts?


Member Comments
# 1 psymin1 @ 02/16/10 09:41 AM
This is a great idea, and will absolutely revolutionize things, but I really hope it doesn't cut down on the voice actors needed (as an actor), and I hope they find a way to add excitement to the commentators voice- for being an important Rugby game- the biggest game of the Rugby season I believe (I don't know Rugby, so I could be wrong), the commentator sounded pretty dull. This has absolute potential, but unless they can get the excitement of the commentating greats, it will never be as immersive as the real thing.

Another complaint is that every time the commentator says "...to throw.", it sounds the same- this isn't realistic. Sometimes the commentators voice would go up, other times it would go down, etc. The human voice can do a hundred different things each sound of a word, which this program may not be able to do (at least from what I have seen). So, again, the potential is there, but until it solves my problems, my hope will be reserved.
 
# 2 SHAKYR @ 02/16/10 09:51 AM
This is incredible technology. I really hope companies adopt it into their game making; especially games like Fight Night Round 5.
 
# 3 Blitzburgh @ 02/16/10 10:07 AM
I would be interested to hear what some of the developers think about this tech versus their current systems.
 
# 4 CMH @ 02/16/10 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymin1
This is a great idea, and will absolutely revolutionize things, but I really hope it doesn't cut down on the voice actors needed (as an actor), and I hope they find a way to add excitement to the commentators voice- for being an important Rugby game- the biggest game of the Rugby season I believe (I don't know Rugby, so I could be wrong), the commentator sounded pretty dull. This has absolute potential, but unless they can get the excitement of the commentating greats, it will never be as immersive as the real thing.

Another complaint is that every time the commentator says "...to throw.", it sounds the same- this isn't realistic. Sometimes the commentators voice would go up, other times it would go down, etc. The human voice can do a hundred different things each sound of a word, which this program may not be able to do (at least from what I have seen). So, again, the potential is there, but until it solves my problems, my hope will be reserved.
I'm sure it can be done if they've already gone this far. They can probably add variations to the spoken phrase depending on situation. I wonder if perhaps the developers can use this technology as a foundation and then add to it so it fits their game.
 
# 5 Valdarez @ 02/16/10 03:46 PM
I don't see anything new there. They already do this, it's just their sample size is too small of unique sayings. Listen to 2K's commentary and you'll hear it done right. EA Sports could probably use this though. EA prefers to buy rather than build right?
 
# 6 dal_hawk @ 02/16/10 05:50 PM
Yeah I dont understand how this is consider revolutionary, just maybe well done program that companies that don't already have a built engine can use. Though if they're charing a pretty penny it'd probably makes sense to just develop your own.

Maybe Backbreaker could use this though.
 
# 7 LingeringRegime @ 02/16/10 06:02 PM
Very cool. BB will not have commentary. It is on the field only.
 
# 8 seriousluboy83 @ 02/18/10 04:52 PM
Great Idea
 
# 9 eDotd @ 02/18/10 10:49 PM
Pretty sweet. I'd like to see some more examples though. The commentary in the rugby example shown was kind of dry, I'd like to see how it analyzes/handles a varied pitch/tone.
 
# 10 jyoung @ 02/20/10 01:39 AM
Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe are still my favorite commentary team.

Even though they'd repeat some stuff, the banter between them was great.

This system seems to offer more variety in commentary phrases, but I don't know if it would have the same emotion as a great team like Stevens/O'Keefe.
 
# 11 LingeringRegime @ 02/21/10 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe are still my favorite commentary team.

Even though they'd repeat some stuff, the banter between them was great.

This system seems to offer more variety in commentary phrases, but I don't know if it would have the same emotion as a great team like Stevens/O'Keefe.
Agreed. I still hear different stuff from them every once in a while. They are a delight to listen to.
 
# 12 rockchisler @ 02/22/10 10:57 PM
Its only as good as the recorded commentary so if it sucks it sucks.
 
# 13 DaveDQ @ 02/24/10 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentousCeltic
Pretty sweet. I'd like to see some more examples though. The commentary in the rugby example shown was kind of dry, I'd like to see how it analyzes/handles a varied pitch/tone.
I thought the same. Also, I'm glad to see people working on improving things. My concern here would be not volume but appropriateness in when things are said and then the emotion and feel behind it. You can take a game like Prize Fighter, where they utilize Jim Lampley (one of the most colorful and pinpointed commentators), and see where they completely drop the ball.

Commentary adds so much to the experience, but it has to be specific to what's going on to make an impact. I'd like to see more lead ins and fade outs with things happening, more commentary on behavior and tendencies. 2K does a great job with this in MLB and NBA 2K. Many other titles are basically act and response type commentary, which only accentuates repeated phrases.
 
# 14 noshun @ 02/24/10 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I thought the same. Also, I'm glad to see people working on improving things. My concern here would be not volume but appropriateness in when things are said and then the emotion and feel behind it. You can take a game like Prize Fighter, where they utilize Jim Lampley (one of the most colorful and pinpointed commentators), and see where they completely drop the ball.

Commentary adds so much to the experience, but it has to be specific to what's going on to make an impact. I'd like to see more lead ins and fade outs with things happening, more commentary on behavior and tendencies. 2K does a great job with this in MLB and NBA 2K. Many other titles are basically act and response type commentary, which only accentuates repeated phrases.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
 
# 15 dougdeuce @ 02/25/10 06:38 PM
Any word on how devs are reacting to this tech? Will this be implemented any time soon?
 
# 16 stlstudios189 @ 02/25/10 10:09 PM
this is a neat feature that could really add some depth to commentary. I think this would be a great addition to have for all sports game
 
# 17 STLRams @ 03/01/10 03:49 PM
NBA 2K10 dynamic commentary is great, this and the NFL2K5 commentary is the best in sports games. The way the 2Kbasketball team stream real NBA info into the game was a smart move, im curious to see how this new technology will work and if sports game developers utilize this.
 
# 18 rockchisler @ 03/29/11 08:11 PM
Just bumping this, I would like to hear who is using this in the sports game realm, also they were bought by Google this Past December if anybody cares.
 
# 19 oneamongthefence @ 04/01/11 12:52 AM
Yeah I thought this thread would be more popular than it was. The tech does sound promising and with a major company backing it now it could revolutionize commentary for whatever game decides to use it first. (******)
 
# 20 rockchisler @ 04/17/11 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Yeah I thought this thread would be more popular than it was. The tech does sound promising and with a major company backing it now it could revolutionize commentary for whatever game decides to use it first. (******)
Me too but with the video been pulled people wont understand...
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.