Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
"As to how this applies to gameplay mechanics, it takes a few different forms in batting and pitching. For batters, all of this data factors into a feature called Batter's Eye, which (depending on the skill of the batter) gives a split-second glimpse of what the pitch is and where it's going by quickly flashing that information onscreen. "Batter's Eye is definitely one of my favorite features because it finally makes me feel like I can lay off a pitch. I have a little bit of a heads-up on what's coming," says Bishop. But the Eye won't show up for just any hitter. "[For more-skilled batters], it doesn't show up sooner, but more often. Still, you're not going to get it on every pitch," he adds. "If you have one of your better hitters up there, you'll probably get it one or two times at bat, whereas with one of your weaker batters, you're probably not going to see it at all."

Ultimately, things like the Batter's Eye are in the game to help you work the count a little more than you might in other baseball games, particularly if you just swing for the fences on every pitch because you can't tell what's coming. But another batting feature that plays up this idea is simple. When you're at the plate, you can make contact with the ball in different ways--push down and then up on the right analog stick for a power swing, push up for a contact swing, or press left or right for the new defensive swing. If you're down in the count, a defensive swing becomes invaluable because it can help you protect the plate and foul one off to keep your chances alive and to wait for a decent pitch."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Blzer @ 01/15/10 04:02 PM
I don't like how they refined the swing stick mechanic, so I think if I ever get my hands on the retail copy I am either only going to use cursor hitting (if that's still an option) or create sliders designated for the "power" swing. I think what they did with that sounds messy.

I really like the pitcher-batter statistical analysis they went through, though. In the amount of time I have played baseball, I know for a fact that "ownage" exists in the real world, and I like how they've incorporated it in the game.

More to read, but so far I'm not too much of a fan of any sort of batter's eye (never was), but it sounds like it's implemented as best as possible behind the scenes. Now let's see if it's visually appealing as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information sounds like things that were put back in from 2K6, 2K7, and 2K8. It's not a bad thing, but to know they first scrapped it all just to put it back in seems like a waste of energy. This is why we want to stick with one development team always.


Oh, and uh...

Quote:
"If you're a first baseman and you go to the Cardinals, you're going to be blocked by Puhols," says Bishop.
 
# 2 ShowTyme15 @ 01/15/10 04:04 PM
Thanks. i just read the preview. Ahhh I am lukewarm on this game at the moment. But I did like some of the things I heard especially the franchise mode with the compensation picks.
 
# 3 Blzer @ 01/15/10 04:08 PM
It sounds like there are still single-A ball clubs and there are September call-ups. I can't tell if Spring Training is really in this game or not, or if they're just calling the 40-man roster that.
 
# 4 ShowTyme15 @ 01/15/10 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
It sounds like there are still single-A ball clubs and there are September call-ups. I can't tell if Spring Training is really in this game or not, or if they're just calling the 40-man roster that.
Haha that is the million dollar question my friend.
 
# 5 brendanrfoley @ 01/15/10 04:16 PM
I just finished reading... so much better than the IGN write-up.

I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing. The only swing a user has to conciously decide to use before a pitch is thrown is power. I'm okay with that.
 
# 6 HK-47 @ 01/15/10 04:25 PM
Didn't the other preview confirm Spring Training? He said that's where you start your season, and you eventually have to cut a 40 man roster down to 25.
 
# 7 HK-47 @ 01/15/10 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing.

You don't have to step for a contact swing? That would suck. They should have just tied in the contact and power swing together.
 
# 8 Trevytrev11 @ 01/15/10 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I just finished reading... so much better than the IGN write-up.

I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing. The only swing a user has to conciously decide to use before a pitch is thrown is power. I'm okay with that.
Here is what I don't like about a "power swing." the majority of the time a hitter is trying to hit the ball as hard as he can..so if this is how this swing was intentioned, I'm fine with that, but just call it a "regular swing". But if it is swing you use when only trying to jack one that is going to result in a high % of HR's, I'm against it. You almost always hear hitters say that a HR was just the result of them making solid contact.

And also, I think you can still take defenisive swings while trying to hit the ball hard. You see guys all the time fight off a tough pitch on the plate and then come unglued on the next pitch and drive it out of the yard...seems hard to do when you can only execute the weaker swing.
 
# 9 HK-47 @ 01/15/10 04:46 PM
I'm not a fan of flashy junk on the screen. I don't need flashing words to tell me what pitch is coming. If it looks like ****, don't swing, simple as that. I hope there's an option to turn this stuff off.

The devs need to quit catering to the players with no skill. These same lamers quit online games if you throw them balls.
 
# 10 hitstreak13 @ 01/15/10 04:47 PM
Overall, I'm not too impressed from IGN and Gamespots' early preview. However, they have done enough IMO to warrant a rental this year (didn't last year). The implementation of new statistical measures such as Avg. in day/night, against individual pitchers, etc. will definitely add depth to franchise. I am also waiting to see how John Kruk pans out.
 
# 11 Blzer @ 01/15/10 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
YOu should be blocked by big Albert. Just like in NBA My player mode. I made a Sg went to the Lakers and had to sit behind Kobe. You have to earn you way to play minutes and hope you go to a team that has a weak spot in their line up.
I was talking about how they spelled it wrong.
 
# 12 ckarlic @ 01/15/10 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't like how they refined the swing stick mechanic, so I think if I ever get my hands on the retail copy I am either only going to use cursor hitting (if that's still an option) or create sliders designated for the "power" swing. I think what they did with that sounds messy.

I really like the pitcher-batter statistical analysis they went through, though. In the amount of time I have played baseball, I know for a fact that "ownage" exists in the real world, and I like how they've incorporated it in the game.

More to read, but so far I'm not too much of a fan of any sort of batter's eye (never was), but it sounds like it's implemented as best as possible behind the scenes. Now let's see if it's visually appealing as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information sounds like things that were put back in from 2K6, 2K7, and 2K8. It's not a bad thing, but to know they first scrapped it all just to put it back in seems like a waste of energy. This is why we want to stick with one development team always.


Oh, and uh...




Yeah. Im with you on the swing stick blzer. Even though I can't stand the swing stick, id much rather have you just pull back on the stick and then forward for all types of hits and not separate contact from power. Other than that, i like what 2K is trying to do and will keep an open mind towards the game this year.
 
# 13 Blitzburgh @ 01/15/10 05:12 PM
Yeah, I hate to be to negative at this point but I really am not happy with the follwing:
1. Text that tells me the pitch type- even on occasions I don't like that.
2. The swing mechanic- there is not enough time to be defensive with your swing. There should be 1 swing type back for step and up to swing. TIme it right and based on ratings it's good or bad.
3. nothing at all mentioned about improved graphics, player models, stadiums etc...
4. pitching rings again! I hated that things. oh well I guess...
 
# 14 duke776 @ 01/15/10 05:22 PM
Really love the additions to franchise mode(40 man rosters, comp picks, rehab assignments). I'm a big franchise guy, so these things are huge for me. I'm looking forward to playing my player mode, and am glad I can't just take someone like Pujols' job. Also on the note of my player mode, they mentioned how you can pick the batting stance so hopefully we will be able to do for every single player in the game, which was a big reason I didn't get it last year.

Can't wait to see some gameplay sometime (hopefully)soon. I'm definitely looking forward to this more because of what I've read, and hopefully they'll deliver with some solid gameplay.
 
# 15 Trevytrev11 @ 01/15/10 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
I'm not a fan of flashy junk on the screen. I don't need flashing words to tell me what pitch is coming. If it looks like ****, don't swing, simple as that. I hope there's an option to turn this stuff off.

The devs need to quit catering to the players with no skill. These same lamers quit online games if you throw them balls.
I don't know man, hitters pick up pitches by reading the rotation of the seams or spin of the ball...you don't get that in a baseball video game. Everything is a fastball at first until it changes direction and you react.

Now I'm not saying I can't ever distinguish one pitch from another, but it's later than a hitter actually would and if you're playing at faster pitch speeds becomes more of a guess than a recognition. They're just trying to add a real life element to it.

Now adding texts, IMO, is not the direction I'd prefer. I liked the color coding of the MVP series and suprised they didn't stick with that.
 
# 16 Craigsca @ 01/15/10 06:07 PM
The key for me was the beginning of the preview, when Bishop discusses their culling of statistics like day vs. night, pre-All Star vs. post-All Star performance. My next question is, "What kind of sample sizes are we talking about here?" I mean, these statistics, unless they're shown to be replicated from year to year for that individual is nothing more than trying to find some kind of pattern in random data. To me, this is so typical of 2k Sports - hanging their hat on some kind of dubious statistical information and quoting it as fact. That's not the way it is - and it's not part of simulation of baseball.

Even the Pettitte vs. Longoria thing. He's 2 for 16 lifetime against him. 16 at bats?! So what! So, the game is going to ding Longoria because of 16 at bats? I understand trying to add a little statistical atmosphere to the game, but in this context it makes no sense and it just the typical asinine drivel you hear from the same recycled announcers who don't quite understand the game. 16 at bats does not a pattern or trend make.
 
# 17 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/15/10 06:12 PM
I really wish the writer would have said how 2k10 & what he saw differed from 2k9. He mentions VC admitting 2k9 wasn't good & suffered from a short Dev Cycle. He then says VC claims the game has benifited from a normal Dev Cycle, but that's it.

Very disappointing. I really appreciate the additions in Franchise Mode (40 Man Rosters, Sept call-ups etc, etc, etc) but I really wanted to hear how the game plays compared to last year.

Hopefully either OS or Jon Robinson (ESPN Video Games) can talk about the difference & the feel of the game & how they compare (2k9/10)
 
# 18 HK-47 @ 01/15/10 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I don't know man, hitters pick up pitches by reading the rotation of the seams or spin of the ball...you don't get that in a baseball video game. Everything is a fastball at first until it changes direction and you react.

Now I'm not saying I can't ever distinguish one pitch from another, but it's later than a hitter actually would and if you're playing at faster pitch speeds becomes more of a guess than a recognition. They're just trying to add a real life element to it.

Now adding texts, IMO, is not the direction I'd prefer. I liked the color coding of the MVP series and suprised they didn't stick with that.

I never had any problems, even with the pitch speed maxed out.

If I can have success without flashy junk, anyone can. You just have to focus, and stop swinging at everything.
 
# 19 bonannogiovanni @ 01/15/10 08:25 PM
I hope Batter's eye can be turned off, I wonder how obtrusive this text on screen may result.

Has anyone got an idea on how we're gonna check our swing with this overhauled swinging mechanics?
 
# 20 Eddie1967 @ 01/15/10 08:37 PM
Fielding is a bit more straightforward than other aspects of MLB 2K10. However, it's worth pointing out that special attention has been paid to animation. "We have a ton of new fielding animations this year. We spent a lot of time adding in lots more gathers, grabs, and catches. But one of the cool things you can do is cue up throws this year," says Bishop. "Start holding the button for the base you want to go to and he'll start making the throw and you'll get to see a whole new cool set of animations." Fielding also lets you throw off to a cutoff man when the situation calls for it, and you can use either the face buttons or the analog stick to make a throw at any given time. On the baserunning side of things, you can also cue up how you run by pressing either of the triggers on the controller, so if you want to automatically run to second, you simply click the trigger twice. Conversely, if you want to run back a base, you simply press the trigger once. There are also options to give commands to all baserunners at once or to give them to individual runners.

I love this!!
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.