Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

IGN has posted a article called NBA Live 10: New Modes Revealed.

Quote:
"I played in three Live Run games with staff members from EA's studio in Vancouver and had a blast doing it. The amount of smack talk and "constructive criticism" that flows between teammates during a contest is laughable, even if the basketball isn't the most refined sight to see. Playing effective defense seemed to be a real challenge as players tended to leave their assignment and swarm the ball."

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DaoudS @ 09/26/09 02:42 AM
EA is being smart by not excluding the cheesing element of online gaming. Admit it or not, but sometimes it is just fun to talk **** to your buddy and dribble around him or dunk over him and this seems to be the perfect mode for it.

I actually had an idea about the free throw system that I will put in here because I have had 3 shots of niquel in the past hour and have no idea how I am awake. You know how you have to stop in the blue area to get the FT to go? How about coordinating that blue area with the real FT% of the player? Say you are Jose Calderon (Mr. 98.1%), but you can't seem to be hitting them free throws and go something like 3/7 from the line. How about the next time you get the charity strike, the blue area expands by a couple of squares in each direction to make it a bit easier? On the other hand, if you figured out the timing of D12's release - the blue boxes should get a little smaller. I know there is a FT slider, but most casual users aren't really going to tweak with it; so this might be an intuitive way to help everyone out?
 
# 2 brahmagoul @ 09/26/09 03:17 AM
I am totally excited about Dynamic Season. This concept, if it is what they say it is, would be what I've always wanted in a sports game. The No. 1 thing I do with every sports game I've been playing (MLB 09, Madden, NBA 2K9 most recently) is play out the season on my game as it's going on in real life. To be able to play key games and have everything else be exactly what happens in real life is like a dream for the player in me.

The ability to play any team's games and not just one team is the overriding reason I left Live for 2K. I wonder how transactions will play into this.
 
# 3 brahmagoul @ 09/26/09 04:22 AM
Didn't I say I don't like to play with one team? If someone gets hurt I want that to be reflected in the game. What makes this feature cool is if there's a surprise team, the season will reflect that. That's what's really cool.

I do have my reservations about gameplay and some of the nuances, but they don't deal with stars. The cpu kobe scored eight in the demo. I was more concerned with a Gasol playing like he was in NBA Jam.
 
# 4 Nephilim @ 09/26/09 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjccommish
"To be able to play key games and have everything else be exactly what happens in real life is like a dream for the player in me."

You're playing with the Cavs. LeBron gets hurt for the season. Now what?

The moment you take control you're changing things. Why play a game if you want it to be what's happening in the NBA? Watch the NBA.

What won't happen, judging from the demo, is superstars on the CPU taking control of the game. Maybe you pick up the Lakers vs Cavs game as the Lakers. LeBron won't have a big night, ever ever ever unless you always guard him.

I just played 10 games in the demo (10 halves.) Kobe averaged 2.8 points on 3.2 shots per game (half.) Don't guard him with your human controlled player, he never goes off for a big game. The Lakers don't look to get the ball to him, he doesn't demand the ball, he doesn't play big even when the Lakers are down.
But he does go off. I pressured DFish a bit and they let Kobe abuse me... I pressured their perimeter and Pau started to post up and popping up on the top of the key. Some games games Fisher tries to shoot his *** off, but AI comes with different strategy approach game to game. They let Kobe bring the ball up and he sets the play or goes one on one, sometimes that results in some quick passes and Ron gets a wide open J or driving lane. There is quite some dynamic in this AI if you ask me...
 
# 5 ehh @ 09/26/09 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjccommish

I just played 10 games in the demo (10 halves.) Kobe averaged 2.8 points on 3.2 shots per game (half.) Don't guard him with your human controlled player, he never goes off for a big game. The Lakers don't look to get the ball to him, he doesn't demand the ball, he doesn't play big even when the Lakers are down.
 
# 6 Boilerbuzz @ 09/26/09 06:37 PM
I LOVE the idea behind dynamic season. I only have a couple of worries:

1. Is this a sim engine crutch? I don't know. Let the real games be your sim engine? Sure. You'll get realistic stats, but I'd feel better knowing the simulator was sound.

2. The biggest worry and it affects everything, including #1 - divergence. What if I play game that, in real life, an key injury occurred? How is that handled? Can I prevent it from happening? Do I even WANT to? What happens if I play a game and get a guy hurt that isn't hurt in real life. Will the mode realistically represent what that player's loss means to the team?

Really, once your changes really start to diverge from real life, of what real use is the mode?

Anyway, these are just questions - rhetorical mostly. The idea is absolutely awesome though.
 
# 7 Jano @ 09/26/09 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I LOVE the idea behind dynamic season. I only have a couple of worries:

1. Is this a sim engine crutch? I don't know. Let the real games be your sim engine? Sure. You'll get realistic stats, but I'd feel better knowing the simulator was sound.

2. The biggest worry and it affects everything, including #1 - divergence. What if I play game that, in real life, an key injury occurred? How is that handled? Can I prevent it from happening? Do I even WANT to? What happens if I play a game and get a guy hurt that isn't hurt in real life. Will the mode realistically represent what that player's loss means to the team?

Really, once your changes really start to diverge from real life, of what real use is the mode?

Anyway, these are just questions - rhetorical mostly. The idea is absolutely awesome though.
My answers to your concerns:

I wouldn't look it as a crutch because this is how its supposed to be this game is all about simulating the real NBA. So the simulator engine really has nothing to do with it imo.

2. When a player is injured they are injured in dynamic season and you can play w/ them until they are available irl. Because once again this mode is all about simulating the real NBA. Also players can't get injured during dynamic season b/c that would throw the game off track.

I think the only real thing you have control over is wins/losses and the league's stats.
 
# 8 worththebuck @ 09/27/09 07:47 AM
i dont understand why people would get nba live 10, 2k originally started the signature moves and style, and live is copying them and live 10 isn't even close to half of what 2k10 has.

i played the demo of live 10 on ps3 and i saw high improvements from live 09 which was really really terrible. however, they're not quite there yet, their "new" dribble system adds the feature to let you hold down R2 and the player does crossover size ups, which was kinda nice but it's not like kobe has his own and d wade has his own... i seen roy, paul, anthony all do the same moves as i was paying attention carefully, meaning they didnt add much effort to add a specific dribble move for each character. another thing is the they had the same left and right fake and pulling right trigger back does a back step dribble everytime making the right stick dribbling repetetive and boring. i liked the new ways of shooting thought, letting you use the euro step and a hop to the left or right before the shot was nice. but 2k offers so much dribbles even half spins and wrap arounds, to paul's signature dribbles and to crawford's dribbles but you have to know how to perform them

another annoying thing on live is the ball going through the rim...if anyone noticed it, live series had the same ball-to-rim animations, the ball either bounces off the rim and it's off, or it splashes through the rim and it's in.. unlike 2k which has realistic ball bouncing, even if it hit the top of the backboard and it could still go in, or spinning in and out then bounces on the board and goes in, this is specific important details. 2k also added RANDOM animations which was an example that a player could hit a guy mopping the floor and there would be an animation maybe a collision and the player helping him get back up. maybe shaw jumping to the crowd to dive the ball and struggling to get back up and probably the often camera man collision

commentary is a BIG deal too, live 10's commentary is about the same as the past, marv albert and steve kerr, steve kerr....steve kerr...he's not even in that business anymore.. while 2k10 added fresh new commentary which updates as the game goes on.. it shows more of the commentators relationship to each other which doesnt make the game boring and always repeating.

live 08 and 09 sucked, live 10 is way better, even with the addition of mike wang (the architect gameplay designer of nba2kseries who was cut off cus of layoffs) but i dont see how a year effort can overcome nba2k10 which is already way up there
 
# 9 Nephilim @ 09/27/09 07:54 AM
Blah. This company had this first and this had this... WTF? It's basketball, what both companies try to copy is NBA, so just don't go there.... On the individual animations and representation 2k gets my vote(as in- better but not the only option!), but there is something in Live that gives me the feeling of true basketball.... Player's habits, defense, offensive execution... If 2k implemented this right this year than yes they have overall better product. But this is basketball and this is what EA and VC are trying to do and it is gooooood for us!!
 
# 10 Jamesmaster @ 09/27/09 08:13 AM
Dynamic Season should be awesome and keep us going for the whole season.

Why some 2K diehards keep coming to the NBA Live boards to claim how much superior 2K is, is beyond me.
 
# 11 DaChosenOne @ 09/27/09 11:44 AM
I don't get da point of live run...
 
# 12 iminurbase @ 09/27/09 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worththebuck
i dont understand why people would get nba live 10, 2k originally started the signature moves and style, and live is copying them and live 10 isn't even close to half of what 2k10 has.

i played the demo of live 10 on ps3 and i saw high improvements from live 09 which was really really terrible. however, they're not quite there yet, their "new" dribble system adds the feature to let you hold down R2 and the player does crossover size ups, which was kinda nice but it's not like kobe has his own and d wade has his own... i seen roy, paul, anthony all do the same moves as i was paying attention carefully, meaning they didnt add much effort to add a specific dribble move for each character. another thing is the they had the same left and right fake and pulling right trigger back does a back step dribble everytime making the right stick dribbling repetetive and boring. i liked the new ways of shooting thought, letting you use the euro step and a hop to the left or right before the shot was nice. but 2k offers so much dribbles even half spins and wrap arounds, to paul's signature dribbles and to crawford's dribbles but you have to know how to perform them

another annoying thing on live is the ball going through the rim...if anyone noticed it, live series had the same ball-to-rim animations, the ball either bounces off the rim and it's off, or it splashes through the rim and it's in.. unlike 2k which has realistic ball bouncing, even if it hit the top of the backboard and it could still go in, or spinning in and out then bounces on the board and goes in, this is specific important details. 2k also added RANDOM animations which was an example that a player could hit a guy mopping the floor and there would be an animation maybe a collision and the player helping him get back up. maybe shaw jumping to the crowd to dive the ball and struggling to get back up and probably the often camera man collision

commentary is a BIG deal too, live 10's commentary is about the same as the past, marv albert and steve kerr, steve kerr....steve kerr...he's not even in that business anymore.. while 2k10 added fresh new commentary which updates as the game goes on.. it shows more of the commentators relationship to each other which doesnt make the game boring and always repeating.

live 08 and 09 sucked, live 10 is way better, even with the addition of mike wang (the architect gameplay designer of nba2kseries who was cut off cus of layoffs) but i dont see how a year effort can overcome nba2k10 which is already way up there
Mike Wang was layed-off from 2K. LOL
 
# 13 tanner99 @ 09/27/09 12:32 PM
 
# 14 brahmagoul @ 09/27/09 01:11 PM
I'm pretty optimistic about the NBA games this year because of Dynamic Season and NBA Today. Both could be pretty awesome and give, at least, me exactly what I've always wanted in a sports game, feature-wise.

Has Live added nuances like subbing in players waiting at the scorer's table? I asked this question in the Dynamic Season thread, but a moderator took it upon him or herself to lock it.
 
# 15 NDIrish98 @ 09/27/09 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worththebuck
i dont understand why people would get nba live 10, 2k originally started the signature moves and style, and live is copying them and live 10 isn't even close to half of what 2k10 has.

i played the demo of live 10 on ps3 and i saw high improvements from live 09 which was really really terrible. however, they're not quite there yet, their "new" dribble system adds the feature to let you hold down R2 and the player does crossover size ups, which was kinda nice but it's not like kobe has his own and d wade has his own... i seen roy, paul, anthony all do the same moves as i was paying attention carefully, meaning they didnt add much effort to add a specific dribble move for each character. another thing is the they had the same left and right fake and pulling right trigger back does a back step dribble everytime making the right stick dribbling repetetive and boring. i liked the new ways of shooting thought, letting you use the euro step and a hop to the left or right before the shot was nice. but 2k offers so much dribbles even half spins and wrap arounds, to paul's signature dribbles and to crawford's dribbles but you have to know how to perform them

another annoying thing on live is the ball going through the rim...if anyone noticed it, live series had the same ball-to-rim animations, the ball either bounces off the rim and it's off, or it splashes through the rim and it's in.. unlike 2k which has realistic ball bouncing, even if it hit the top of the backboard and it could still go in, or spinning in and out then bounces on the board and goes in, this is specific important details. 2k also added RANDOM animations which was an example that a player could hit a guy mopping the floor and there would be an animation maybe a collision and the player helping him get back up. maybe shaw jumping to the crowd to dive the ball and struggling to get back up and probably the often camera man collision

commentary is a BIG deal too, live 10's commentary is about the same as the past, marv albert and steve kerr, steve kerr....steve kerr...he's not even in that business anymore.. while 2k10 added fresh new commentary which updates as the game goes on.. it shows more of the commentators relationship to each other which doesnt make the game boring and always repeating.

live 08 and 09 sucked, live 10 is way better, even with the addition of mike wang (the architect gameplay designer of nba2kseries who was cut off cus of layoffs) but i dont see how a year effort can overcome nba2k10 which is already way up there
2k10 has issues, every game has issues, but i think Live surpasses 2k this year. everyone has opinions, but just dont always revert back to the history of Live and automatically think 2k will be better. i see some glaring issues in 2k10 based on what i saw in the vids, it just looks like the last 2 versions w/ a little flare added, and i honestly think Live will be right on par, if not better than 2k10 this year. no one will know until both games come out, but don't come in and tell me 2k is better than Live without it even being released yet. i like 2k, i have played 2k basketball since the first one ever came out, but im tired of people just blindly saying that 2k is far superior this year, just from a demo, i like Live better, but thats just me.
 
# 16 brahmagoul @ 09/28/09 02:28 AM
I'm sure a player could get hurt in a game, but it wouldn't be something where you'd know he's out for more than just that game. I don't think this will be a problem. Unless, of course, you're trying to cause a rift in the matrix and rewind to a game where a player gets hurt. lol. Seriously, though, in that case you know it would just affect that single game.
 
# 17 jlmjlm @ 09/29/09 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Im in shock Im I reading this correctly ?
I can now play a Season mode that mimics the Real current NBA season playing any games I want without having to make trades , transactions ect that happen in the Real NBA season ? If yes I have waited for this FOREVER the guy Russell at MLB THe Show said it wasnt possible ?
Is It True ? Thanks
this is not even new....2k9 already had this last year lmao

and what i can say to this new live mode is that i'd rather be playing MY own created character from my player in 2k10 online with other people the same way like this, and still have the option to play the nba superstars just like this in NBA 2k10.. more options..more fun
 
# 18 kwas676 @ 09/29/09 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmjlm
this is not even new....2k9 already had this last year lmao

and what i can say to this new live mode is that i'd rather be playing MY own created character from my player in 2k10 online with other people the same way like this, and still have the option to play the nba superstars just like this in NBA 2k10.. more options..more fun
Lmao whts up with this dude.
 
# 19 frostbyte06 @ 09/29/09 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas676
Lmao whts up with this dude.
Trolling, just ignore him I have a feeling he won't be around long, he's just going into threads with posts like that looking for attention.
 
# 20 kwas676 @ 09/29/09 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte06
Trolling, just ignore him I have a feeling he won't be around long, he's just going into threads with posts like that looking for attention.
lol I know but just funny.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.