Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

In a recent EA Sports MMA chat, Frank Shamrock announced that he would be added to the roster.

EA Sports MMA screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Wet Bandit @ 09/18/09 04:01 PM
Too bad Frank Shamrock hasn't been relevant in a decade.
 
# 2 Pappy Knuckles @ 09/20/09 04:10 AM
As long as they have EA Share I'll be good. I don't care that much about the roster, I'm just hoping they throw together a solid game.

HOWEVER,

They better get Diaz and Lawler on here lol.
 
# 3 LocoDoePapo @ 09/20/09 10:25 PM
not to be confused with ken. frank can still put on a good fight.
 
# 4 Bona Fide @ 09/21/09 02:03 AM
I hope there is an option to have him fight with his braces.
 
# 5 CYST2000 @ 09/22/09 11:54 AM
Frank is going to make this game more legit. He is still a world class fighter with a darn fine record.
 
# 6 mgoblue @ 09/22/09 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYST2000
Frank is going to make this game more legit. He is still a world class fighter with a darn fine record.
It's a good addition, but not sure that EA can really get enough names people know in order to get more people to buy it. It's similar to the NFL license, people buy Madden for the teams and players they know. People buying a MMA game will know all the UFC guys and want to fight as them. Aside from Couture, Fedor, and now Shamrock there's not really anyone I care that much about outside the UFC game.

I'm not hardcore into the Japan MMA scene, nor do I really see any of the smaller national/regional promotions...I'm sure EA will get more Strikeforce guys, and that'll help a little, but I tend to think they'll struggle without a license.
 
# 7 Wet Bandit @ 09/22/09 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYST2000
Frank is going to make this game more legit. He is still a world class fighter with a darn fine record.
No. He once was a world-class fighter with a darn fine record. He's not anymore.

Since the turn of the century, he's 4-3, with three of those wins coming against guys with losing records. In the USA Today consensus MMA rankings, Shamrock isn't even ranked in the top 25 at middleweight. At this point in his career, he's a 36-year old guy who's a .500 fighter against mid-level competition.
 
# 8 CYST2000 @ 09/22/09 11:04 PM
He is a legit great of the sport. He has had an awesome career, and yes he has lost allot recently, but he still has name recognition and his accomplishments speak for themselves. I mean he really is the Godfather of the sport as we know it, a well rounded fighter and a showman.
 
# 9 CYST2000 @ 09/22/09 11:05 PM
I hardly think Diaz and Cung Le are mid-level talent.
 
# 10 sb24 @ 09/23/09 07:55 AM
Well NONE of this will matter if EA buys out THQ as a thread on this site indicates. I really dont want to see that happen.
 
# 11 Wet Bandit @ 09/23/09 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYST2000
I hardly think Diaz and Cung Le are mid-level talent.
It's tough to tell about Cung Le, considering he hasn't fought anybody, but Diaz? The guy lost to Karo, Diego, Riggs, and Sherk all at WW. That's two LWs, one gatekeeper, and Joe freaking Riggs. He's a clear step below the guys that are a clear step below the top guys. He's not a bad fighter, he's just not a guy that's going to have any serious impact.
 
# 12 LocoDoePapo @ 09/23/09 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
It's tough to tell about Cung Le, considering he hasn't fought anybody, but Diaz? The guy lost to Karo, Diego, Riggs, and Sherk all at WW. That's two LWs, one gatekeeper, and Joe freaking Riggs. He's a clear step below the guys that are a clear step below the top guys. He's not a bad fighter, he's just not a guy that's going to have any serious impact.
this is why mma math doesnt work. nick was very young in the fights you have mentioned. what about when he beat gomi?
 
# 13 LocoDoePapo @ 09/23/09 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
No. He once was a world-class fighter with a darn fine record. He's not anymore.

Since the turn of the century, he's 4-3, with three of those wins coming against guys with losing records. In the USA Today consensus MMA rankings, Shamrock isn't even ranked in the top 25 at middleweight. At this point in his career, he's a 36-year old guy who's a .500 fighter against mid-level competition.
lol usa today rankings???

this game is for the hardcore mma fans. rosters wont be the deciding factor in what i play, ill play whatever game is better. there are alot of great fighters outside of the ufc. i know its hard to fathom for some but its the truth.
 
# 14 judgejudy @ 09/23/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Fide
I hope there is an option to have him fight with his braces.
this will be part of the braceface DLC pack
 
# 15 Wet Bandit @ 09/23/09 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoDoePapo
this is why mma math doesnt work.
MMA math is stuff like "GSP lost to Serra, Serra lost to Shonie Carter, therefore Shonie Carter would beat GSP."

Saying that Diaz lost to Riggs, Diego, Karo, and Sherk isn't MMA math. It's simply stating facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoDoePapo
nick was very young in the fights you have mentioned.
Riggs and Diego were 24 when they beat Diaz. Karo was 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoDoePapo
what about when he beat gomi?
-Diaz's win over Gomi has lost a good bit of its luster in the past couple years as we've come to see that Gomi isn't as good as we thought in Pride's glory days.

-And if you watch the fight, Gomi looked terrible. He gassed three minutes into the fight without Diaz really doing anything to him, and his striking consisted of leaving his hands at his sides and winging haymakers. And he still messed Diaz up bad.

-Don't get me wrong, it was a gutsy win by Diaz over a good opponent, but it wasn't exactly an impressive win. And if that's by far Diaz's best win in his career, well, that doesn't do a whole lot to dissuade me from calling Diaz a mid-level talent.

To me, there's the elite guys, there's the gatekeepers, and then there's the mid-level guys. Considering Diaz has a spotty record against gatekeepers, I'm fine with putting him in the mid-level group.
 
# 16 Wet Bandit @ 09/23/09 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoDoePapo
lol usa today rankings???
Um, yes?

Those rankings are compiled from over 20 of the most respected MMA sites to create a sort of consensus rankings.

If you're looking for MMA rankings, it's really the only one to look at, in my opinion.
 
# 17 HravatskiIgrač @ 10/04/09 11:34 PM
so wait... i am really confused about all this? i kinda play video games in my spare time so please don't hang me for asking lol, but does EA sports not have the right to put any UFC fighter in their game? i mean... that would be kinda silly, i would like to see fighters from all different leagues in the game if it is a good one. i think THQ made a noble effort, but i would hate to see EA have a monopoly over MMA like they do over football lol... plus... anyone remember the PrideFC game? cooool
 
# 18 oChaos_Nine @ 10/05/09 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HravatskiIgrač
so wait... i am really confused about all this? i kinda play video games in my spare time so please don't hang me for asking lol, but does EA sports not have the right to put any UFC fighter in their game? i mean... that would be kinda silly, i would like to see fighters from all different leagues in the game if it is a good one. i think THQ made a noble effort, but i would hate to see EA have a monopoly over MMA like they do over football lol... plus... anyone remember the PrideFC game? cooool
UFC and THQ have the same kind of contract as the NFL and EA, so the answer is no, EA can't put whatever UFC fighter they want in their game.
 
# 19 DakkoN @ 10/05/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HravatskiIgrač
but does EA sports not have the right to put any UFC fighter in their game?
What sense does that make? That'd be like the WWE having TNA wrestlers in their game, or vice versa. Master Chief in Gears of War... DC characters in a Marvel game.. the list goes on and on..
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.