Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2KHockey has posted their hands-on preview of NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"On Thursday, the good ol’ folks at 2K Sports were kind enough to let me try out NHL 2K10 before its release next month. I suppressed my excitement and tried to soak in as much of the experience as possible, since I knew I wouldn’t have a chance to play it for another 30 days or so.

After putting some thought into it, I really feel the best way for me to translate my hands-on experience into useful information for you guys is to not only elaborate on aspects of the game I feel help replicate a realistic simulation, but to also note the most noticeable improvements over last year’s version."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CarryTheWeight @ 08/26/09 04:52 PM
The Whale Is Back!

Other than that sudden outburst of enthusiasm, I think this was a good preview. Not amazing, but good. At this point I think a demo would be the best thing that can happen to my outlook on 2K10, though...

EDIT: Good to hear that the right-stick "NHL 10" controls are more responsive...but then again, a spin with a demo will tell me for sure. And is it just me, or does Ovechkin's face model look better in that screen than it did in the first trailer?
 
# 2 Footballforever @ 08/26/09 05:17 PM
I'm torn between which to get..........................
 
# 3 Flyermania @ 08/26/09 05:21 PM
I liked the comparison of the jump from 2k4 to 2k5 resembling that of 2k9 to 2k10...that jump back then was a great one. I'm looking forward to giving this one a whirl!
 
# 4 savoie2006 @ 08/26/09 05:30 PM
Guys, just wanted to say that I missed something very important at the end of that preview and that was the special thanks and heads up about some exclusive gameplay footage on the way.
 
# 5 ezekiel55 @ 08/26/09 05:38 PM
After playing EA's demo and being underwhelmed, I was hoping 2k would make the changes the previewer mentioned.

Looks like I'll be playing 2k again this year.
 
# 6 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 06:54 PM
WOW, very nice review. Very excited about this game.
 
# 7 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 06:56 PM
The AI looked pretty strong as well. I don’t remember having any issues with my defensemen not holding the line. My teammates always seemed to be in the right position for the open pass, and the opposing AI appeared pretty tenacious on both offense on defense, which is a huge factor for a good offline experience.
I’d almost given up on offline play vs. the computer the past several years due a lack of tenacity by the CPU AI, but what I saw—albeit very little—looked quite promising.

Sweet!
 
# 8 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The player models look very good actually. And the lighting is off-the-charts -- maybe the best ever in a video game. Impressive to say the least.
WOW baa, did you just say that? You are hard on the player models if I remember so you must be really impressed.
 
# 9 TIm @ 08/26/09 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Guys, just wanted to say that I missed something very important at the end of that preview and that was the special thanks and heads up about some exclusive gameplay footage on the way.
Savoie,
I have been very critical about 2k and the info they released.. Now this preview is what I am talking about...It was a very good read and the pics are outstanding. But I couldn't help but notice you said there will be exclusive videos When will they release?? Any word on the street!! LOL
 
# 10 ezio @ 08/26/09 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Savoie,
I have been very critical about 2k and the info they released.. Now this preview is what I am talking about...It was a very good read and the pics are outstanding. But I couldn't help but notice you said there will be exclusive videos When will they release?? Any word on the street!! LOL
According to the site beginning of next week hopefully
 
# 11 bigmoe @ 08/26/09 08:35 PM
If 2K10 has a true broadcast cam ( fixed at center ice with a swival and zoom when players cross the blue line in the offensive zone) Why is this so hard for the developers ? I think I may go back to 2K .Only if the game plays a true hockey sim of course.
 
# 12 BigH2k6 @ 08/26/09 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe
If 2K10 has a true broadcast cam ( fixed at center ice with a swival and zoom when players cross the blue line in the offensive zone) Why is this so hard for the developers ? I think I may go back to 2K .Only if the game plays a true hockey sim of course.
2k9 had the closest to real life broadcast camera angle. One of the few brightspots of 2k9

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFkwbnTehA
 
# 13 onlybygrace @ 08/27/09 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I agree Realm I will say onething having the lights be difference will go a long way in realling making the Arenas feel different.
Not only that but the specific intros...

Man...I really hope, for their own good, that they release a demo.

I've been a 2k guy for most of the new millenium...so anything is possible.
 
# 14 tabulaRasa @ 08/27/09 03:28 AM
Sounds really good, really really like the new player models and faces, just wish they fixed the goalie pants
BTW, the Ovie player model, face, looked better in that Allstar pic.

Overall the gameplay adjustments sounded really good.
 
# 15 MizzouRah @ 08/27/09 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It would suck, if the intro were only for the playoffs. But after thinking about it, it is OK. You still have the same lighting and that will make each arena look different!
No it's not ok and would really be a waste of making each unique intro. Why have all this presentation and then only see it in the playoffs?
 
# 16 MizzouRah @ 08/27/09 08:59 AM
One thing 2k has always had over EA's is the proportion of the players size to the rink size.. it looks perfect.
 
# 17 original6 @ 08/27/09 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Its a shame the commentary is going to drag the overall presentation down for me, I hope next year they actually make the effort to write a better play by play script and have Hahn and Remenda show a little more passion and less "reading lines" emotion. Otherwise though I have to give them credit for not only the arena's looking stunning but making an effort to get the lighting of various arenas down. Thats a really nice touch, hope the game plays as decent as it looks.
Wouldn't be an issue for me. I haven't listened to the commentary since 2k6. I go for that "at the game" experience, rather than "watching it on tv" one. To each their own though.

As great as the review sounds and the pics look, I won't be convinced of anything until I play a demo.
 
# 18 ezio @ 08/27/09 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Wouldn't be an issue for me. I haven't listened to the commentary since 2k6. I go for that "at the game" experience, rather than "watching it on tv" one. To each their own though.

As great as the review sounds and the pics look, I won't be convinced of anything until I play a demo.

I agree. Supposedly it will be out Sept. 1st. I will get the NHL Demo today and play that till the 2k one comes out and then decide. I did the same thing last year.
 
# 19 18 eighty 5 @ 08/27/09 07:41 PM
I love presentation too in hockey games. One of the things that I think is well over due and I am really happy to hear about is changing the lighting hues to match each arena. I agree with Scott that this will go a long way to making each game in each venue feel unique and will give the game extra life.

This thing bugs me about EA's game. The ice and arena's all feel the same no matter where you go, just painting team logos at center ice doesn't change or add much at all. So I am really happy to hear that 2k have chosen to work on this in their game. I think this addition works subtley to make the game feel organic and not generic presentation wise.

I really, really hope this gets released in Australia.
 
# 20 Eddie1967 @ 08/27/09 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
I love presentation too in hockey games. One of the things that I think is well over due and I am really happy to hear about is changing the lighting hues to match each arena. I agree with Scott that this will go a long way to making each game in each venue feel unique and will give the game extra life.

This thing bugs me about EA's game. The ice and arena's all feel the same no matter where you go, just painting team logos at center ice doesn't change or add much at all. So I am really happy to hear that 2k have chosen to work on this in their game. I think this addition works subtley to make the game feel organic and not generic presentation wise.

I really, really hope this gets released in Australia.
I agree, things like the lighting, arenas, etc. gives the game more life. That is the one area that holds me back from EA hockey. I don't understand why they won't improve this area and have true to life arena's.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.