Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

IGN has posted a feature blowout for NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"With the hockey season starting back up in just a few short months 2K has pulled back the curtain on the next wave of on-ice action. In this full-feature interview we sit down with producer Ben Bishop to talk about the 360 and PS3 versions of the game, as well as the huge innovation going on in the Wii arena. Check out our chat below, and start sharpening those skates. It may be the middle of summer, but hockey season is just around the corner."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 onlybygrace @ 07/22/09 06:48 PM
Ho-hum, the Wii is dumb.
 
# 2 onlybygrace @ 07/22/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
ho hum, it says all 3. Its just pimping the wii more, beucse of the motion plus and all that crap. I dont own a wii, so meh.
I said the Wii is dumb...didn't ever say that I thought the whole article was on the Wii only, did I?

And yes...I don't own a Wii either...so ditto on the 'meh'.
 
# 3 onlybygrace @ 07/22/09 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Stick lifts and stumble shots across all platforms, with the rest being about Wii motion controls. This is their big info blowout? Really? Are you f'in kidding me?
Whats funny is that I'm not even let down...in fact, this is exactly what I expected. I've bought almost every NHL 2k game but they are getting really close to losing my interest all together...not that they care, but I do. I've always liked 2k hockey.
 
# 4 savoie2006 @ 07/22/09 07:04 PM
Uh, this whole section is in regards to PS3 and 360:

IGN: If I had some friends over playing, could I send them a Create-a-Team? Or is it something like if you create a team and you put all the work into it, you want the gamers to keep their own?

2K: Whoever creates the team can send out invites for other people to join their team, and then once you've joined the team you're basically a member of that team and when you choose to play a game whoever's online at the time can choose to be out there on the ice playing against whatever other teams you're able to find and match up against.

IGN: Is there anything else you want to mention specifically on the 360 or PS3 side? Otherwise I can move on to Wii-specific stuff.

2K: The other thing that I think you kind of touched on in your question initially was 2K Share, and being able to share things. And this obviously wasn't something that made it into NHL 2K9, so it's something we definitely wanted to bring on board for 2K10. Now with 2K Share you can upload rosters, you can upload game sliders, you can upload created players and a new addition to it this year is you can actually upload draft classes. So if you want to upload the upcoming draft class, and you want to set it up with all these specific guys with a bunch of your friends, or if you want to go back and create some draft classes fro m the past you can do that. And then you can upload it via 2K Share and then when you get to that point in the off-season with your Franchise, it'll give you the option to take the game's generated draft class, or one of your own, or one that you've downloaded from 2K Share. So it's another way to mix things up in Franchise and give you some extra replayability with all that. And then that applies to the Wii of course, as well.

We also have a brand new stick lift system as well across all systems, so you can lift up opponent sticks and stop them from getting passes, and on the opposite side we also have a new stumble shot system, so if you're getting pushed or bumped while taking a shot the AI will know to try and take that shot anyways. In the past it was really annoying as you'd hit the shot button, but since there was a bump or a small check you won't shoot, and that's been in NHL games for a long time now. We've eliminated that, so now if you hit the shot button your player will try to make the best of the shot and still fire away, and that will remove a lot of the disconnect that comes with the check/shooting system.
 
# 5 savoie2006 @ 07/22/09 07:05 PM
I just hope the skater doesn't stop skating after a stick lift.
 
# 6 CarryTheWeight @ 07/22/09 07:06 PM
I'm still not quite sure what to make of the game just yet. Too much Wii information for my liking, it's not the version I'll be buying despite the Wii Motion Plus info.

However...


-2K Share includes custom draft classes. This comes right off the heels of EA's announcement that prospects can be edited. If the name bank includes more non-NHL rookie names (like last year's game, which included "Schenn" and "Tavares" among others) then we could be in for something interesting.

-Graphics are the best I've seen from this series based upon the other screens. Yes, I prefer 2K10's graphics to 2K8's.


I rest my case.

-Arena models are still the best on any console sports game IMO - the screen shot of the MSG arena introduction looks amazing.

-Cool to see they're taking a page from the vastly underrated "Live Opponent" feature from Madden 07 - something that I thought could have been used in other games. Now, from what I hear, every game you play in 2k10 can be played online. Great news for online players but I don't play online that much so it's not something I can see myself using.

-Team-Up + Create-A-Team = 2KSHL? :P

Other than that, more information on the 360/PS3 versions in the future would certainly be nice.
 
# 7 onlybygrace @ 07/22/09 07:08 PM
For once this forum has more viewers than the EA forum...
 
# 8 savoie2006 @ 07/22/09 07:08 PM
That said I'm happy we finally got something. I wasn't expecting ALOT as apparently some were. Hopefully tomorrow Ronnie's blog will touch on some more. I would really like to see some video just to see the game in motion, but I honestly don't bank on that too much. I mean look at the videos IGN posted for EA. They hardly do the game justice I'm sure.
 
# 9 onlybygrace @ 07/22/09 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Same here bro seriously not understanding what their motives are at this point. Hell I even bought 2k9 and 2k8 used a couple weeks ago to try and force myself to get used to pro stick and maybe grow to like it, epic fail, considering you can't even get updated rosters since 2k was so nice to shut the servers off for 2k8. But hey at least 2k10 has a puck protect feature and stick lifts I guess.
But we both know they are just taking something EA has done and claiming it as their own...right? right?...hurl

*this is sort of an inside joke...I don't mean that...for those who might wonder*
 
# 10 bcgudely @ 07/22/09 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
heh even ripping off EASHL with create a team/team up. Not that its a bad thing as both games borrow features from each other.. But seriously? Ronnie hypes it up like we're going to get some substantial info finally and most of it is about Wii controls. Hey 2k, why not just outright conceed to EA on the two next gen platforms, it would save some of us alot of time worrying about which game to get.
They've basically already done this in my eyes. Oh well, I won't be overspending on hockey games this fall.
 
# 11 savoie2006 @ 07/22/09 07:19 PM
Honestly, with the Wii being the best selling console and all, it makes sense they would focus on the Wii crowd first. After all it is the only hockey game for the Wii. So they want to not only reel in those that bought the first edition, but newbies as well.

The 360/PS3 info will come. I'm content for now with what we got to chew on. As far as the roster updates go. I guess we don't have to worry about that now, as long there is someone uploading theirs!
 
# 12 CarryTheWeight @ 07/22/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Hey 2k, why not just outright conceed to EA on the two next gen platforms, it would save some of us alot of time worrying about which game to get.
...oh, they better not...I can't stand sticking with one hockey game all year. Whenever one game gets stale, I jump to the next and vice versa. Things would get much worse without variety on the market, trust me.

Remember 2003? We had Hitz Pro, NHL 2004, ESPN NHL Hockey and NHL Rivals 2004 on the Xbox alone (the PS2 I think also had Gretzky NHL Hockey that year). Now, we're only down to two games and people are clamoring for only one? Competition is good, regardless of how games rip eachother off, sports games have done that for years. Ask football/baseball/college sports gamers and they'll tell you. I'd hate to see hockey go down the same road.
 
# 13 Eddie1967 @ 07/22/09 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Uh, this whole section is in regards to PS3 and 360:

IGN: If I had some friends over playing, could I send them a Create-a-Team? Or is it something like if you create a team and you put all the work into it, you want the gamers to keep their own?

2K: Whoever creates the team can send out invites for other people to join their team, and then once you've joined the team you're basically a member of that team and when you choose to play a game whoever's online at the time can choose to be out there on the ice playing against whatever other teams you're able to find and match up against.

IGN: Is there anything else you want to mention specifically on the 360 or PS3 side? Otherwise I can move on to Wii-specific stuff.

2K: The other thing that I think you kind of touched on in your question initially was 2K Share, and being able to share things. And this obviously wasn't something that made it into NHL 2K9, so it's something we definitely wanted to bring on board for 2K10. Now with 2K Share you can upload rosters, you can upload game sliders, you can upload created players and a new addition to it this year is you can actually upload draft classes. So if you want to upload the upcoming draft class, and you want to set it up with all these specific guys with a bunch of your friends, or if you want to go back and create some draft classes fro m the past you can do that. And then you can upload it via 2K Share and then when you get to that point in the off-season with your Franchise, it'll give you the option to take the game's generated draft class, or one of your own, or one that you've downloaded from 2K Share. So it's another way to mix things up in Franchise and give you some extra replayability with all that. And then that applies to the Wii of course, as well.

We also have a brand new stick lift system as well across all systems, so you can lift up opponent sticks and stop them from getting passes, and on the opposite side we also have a new stumble shot system, so if you're getting pushed or bumped while taking a shot the AI will know to try and take that shot anyways. In the past it was really annoying as you'd hit the shot button, but since there was a bump or a small check you won't shoot, and that's been in NHL games for a long time now. We've eliminated that, so now if you hit the shot button your player will try to make the best of the shot and still fire away, and that will remove a lot of the disconnect that comes with the check/shooting system.
Thanks for posting that. Some people see only negative and that's sad. Looking forward to another great year of 2k hockey.
 
# 14 Eddie1967 @ 07/22/09 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I find this interesting why?

The Wii version includes everything the other consoles have. That means co-op franchise, online, create-a-team and more.


Because it says the wii version will include what the other system have. Not the other way around. So can we stop with all this "they only are going after the Wii user.
I agree. Looks like VC stepped up again this year even with this little bit of information. No sense in trying to convince the naysayers scott, it's their agenda to put the game down no matter what info comes out.
 
# 15 savoie2006 @ 07/22/09 07:36 PM
It should also be noted that Ron will be posting a 360 /PS3 blog tonight, per his twitter page and there are more pics on IGN for the 360/PS3.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1...043259995.html
 
# 16 Flyermania @ 07/22/09 07:36 PM
Not much to go on regarding the PS3 or 360 versions, but the proof will be in the pudding once the game comes out. I do have some concerns that they are spending a lot of time and effort on the Wii version since it doesn't have any competition on that system, but oh well.

The next-gen screens look great to me. The player models and faces have gotten a lot of attention and they look fantastic --- probably the best it has looked since 2k5 (in relation to the system it is on). I only hope the gameplay got the same overhaul.
 
# 17 Eddie1967 @ 07/22/09 07:49 PM

I rest my case.

-Arena models are still the best on any console sports game IMO - the screen shot of the MSG arena introduction looks amazing.


Wow, this looks like a huge upgrade from 2k9.
 
# 18 Eddie1967 @ 07/22/09 07:52 PM
I couldn't agree more. That is an amazing picture. Can't wait until September.
 
# 19 Money99 @ 07/22/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Stick lifts and stumble shots across all platforms, with the rest being about Wii motion controls. This is their big info blowout? Really? Are you f'in kidding me?
I know. I was kind of hoping for more info on the 360 version.

But it's nice to see them putting info out.

I hope that we'll hear more about the gameplay and controls soon. I'm dying to know if the Pro Control will have stickhandling similar to EA's.
 
# 20 Jamin23 @ 07/22/09 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Yeah me too. The Arena's are sick! I love all the little things going on in that one pic of MSG! Looks so real.
That's one thing 2k is good at, the details that make each arena different. They do a great job in nba 2k. They also do a great job with signature styles.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.