Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Read More - UFC May Ban Fighters That Sign With EA (Pasta Padre)

Quote:
"I hear that all mma managers were informed that if any of their clients not currently under contract with the UFC….. sign to be a part of the EA game…….the will forever be banned for fighting in the UFC."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Luck911 @ 07/02/09 06:30 AM
I can't believe people are running with this story.If Fedor, Overeem, Belfort,Barnett etc are in the EA game then they say i want to fight in the UFC do you think the UFC is not going sign them.If the story is true it is a just poor scare tactic that ufc won't back up.
 
# 2 ExtremeGamer @ 07/02/09 06:41 AM
That's tough for some fighters. But imagine if they all decided to sign with the EA game. LOL Is UFC really going to ban all their top fighters over a videogame?

Doesn't really matter anyway to me. If EA uses the create a fighter that is in Fight Night, and allows you to share, you'll have every UFC fighter past and present, along with any other MMA guy you want, anyway.
 
# 3 Footballforever @ 07/02/09 09:35 AM
I hear what you guys are saying, if it's a scare tactic or not, the UFC saw how very successful there game has been since release and they must wanna keep it that way for them. It could be greed or whatever you. I mean I know it could be competition but why must EA try and copy what someone else does and try and steal there thunder. Stick with the common sports EA. I would have let the MMA to the UFC and THQ. I honestly do not feel that EA's MMA will even come close the the experience I have had with playing the UFC.
 
# 4 SHO @ 07/02/09 09:54 AM
SMH @ Dana for even considering this.
 
# 5 UNC_Pete @ 07/02/09 10:28 AM
I wonder what his reasoning is? THQ really captured what the UFC is all about in their game, and doesn't want that tarnished by EA's game..
 
# 6 aholbert32 @ 07/02/09 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
That's tough for some fighters. But imagine if they all decided to sign with the EA game. LOL Is UFC really going to ban all their top fighters over a videogame?

Doesn't really matter anyway to me. If EA uses the create a fighter that is in Fight Night, and allows you to share, you'll have every UFC fighter past and present, along with any other MMA guy you want, anyway.

The story is total BS. One, does anyone actually think that Dana would release a top fighter if they agreed to be in the EA game? Really? Dana is an ******* but one thing he has shown is he is a smart businessman. This goes against good business.

Also they cant all sign with EA because the majority of them are under lifetime videogame contracts with the UFC. EA would be immediately sued and have an injunction filed preventing the release of the game if it included fighters signed to the UFC.
 
# 7 Footballforever @ 07/02/09 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The story is total BS. One, does anyone actually think that Dana would release a top fighter if they agreed to be in the EA game? Really? Dana is an ******* but one thing he has shown is he is a smart businessman. This goes against good business.

Also they cant all sign with EA because the majority of them are under lifetime videogame contracts with the UFC. EA would be immediately sued and have an injunction filed preventing the release of the game if it included fighters signed to the UFC.
why is Dana a you know what?
 
# 8 AsianChexMix @ 07/02/09 10:55 AM
Don't write checks you can't cash...exhibit A
 
# 9 jtbleek @ 07/02/09 12:55 PM
Does this mean Couture is out of UFC 102? Seems like an empty threat in my opinion.
 
# 10 SHO @ 07/02/09 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The story is total BS. One, does anyone actually think that Dana would release a top fighter if they agreed to be in the EA game?
Well he fired Jon Fitch (and a slew of other fighters) for not signing the UFC game deal, so yes I do believe that Dana has the cajones to do something like this.
 
# 11 MMChrisS @ 07/02/09 02:36 PM
I wouldn't doubt Dana and how he does business. On that same token, I seriously doubt Dana White will tell big name fighters such as Fedor they can't fight in the UFC because of a contract made for a video game.

Basic jist: If you aren't a big name, expect White to follow up on his threat. If you are, disregard
 
# 12 bkfount @ 07/02/09 04:20 PM
Obviously the notable non UFC fighters that EA would be interested to have in their game would also be able to make money for the UFC. Still, they did fire Jon Fitch for not signing over his lifetime rights, so this does follow the same behavior.

This won't even affect EA really. Without the UFC license, EA will have to build it on gameplay, which I'm sure even the EA haters would love if they can get right. They'll still be able to get attention by marketing the hell out of the game, and they can put in a fighter creation and online sharing feature like Fight Night.
 
# 13 aholbert32 @ 07/02/09 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
Well he fired Jon Fitch (and a slew of other fighters) for not signing the UFC game deal, so yes I do believe that Dana has the cajones to do something like this.
He wouldnt fire or ban anyone of merit. I love Jon Fitch but people werent buying the game or watching the UFC because of him. Dana's not going to fire Couture or ban Fedor if they sign with the EA game because they bring in money.

As for EA's game and creating fighters, I'm not a big fan of that. If I have a choice between a great game where I have to create Rampage (or download him) and a great game where I dont have to create him..im choosing the latter.
 
# 14 The Chef @ 07/02/09 06:24 PM
Two things I want to point out that seems to be ignored so far...

1. It says any fighters that ARENT currently under contract, it doesnt say anything about firing anybody who is signed with the UFC currently, which leads me to my next point....

2. When they were getting the UFC game together they had all the fighters sign contracts, hence the reason for the temporary firing of Jon Fitch, and I would be left to assume that they protected their current stable of fighters from being able to be in a competing product.

In the end do you expect Dana White to basically advertise for a competing MMA game by letting anyone sign on to be in the EA game and then sign to fight in the UFC? That would be like free advertisement for the competition and that makes absolutely no sense at all.
 
# 15 bkfount @ 07/02/09 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
In the end do you expect Dana White to basically advertise for a competing MMA game by letting anyone sign on to be in the EA game and then sign to fight in the UFC? That would be like free advertisement for the competition and that makes absolutely no sense at all.
You mean like how Undisputed has non UFC contracted fighters like Sylvia, Ortiz, Arlovski, and Cro Cop?
 
# 16 The Chef @ 07/02/09 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
You mean like how Undisputed has non UFC contracted fighters like Sylvia, Ortiz, Arlovski, and Cro Cop?
Whats your point? Im sure the roster decisions were made when those guys were still in the UFC and it was too far along to start cutting fighters when they left. Those decisions were made before hand but do you think that in his current position that he would make the decision to do it all over again by allowing guys in the UFC to promote a rival brands video game? I dont care about any possible promotion that it does for Affliction having Sylvia in the UFC game, Im talking advertisement for the EA game.
 
# 17 SHO @ 07/02/09 07:23 PM
The only way see EA being able to fill out their roster is if they pick up retired fighters like in Fight Night, because I don't think some fighters want to miss out on a chance to get paid in the UFC. But I would love to play with Genki Sudo, so it probably wouldn't be all bad.

Still BS by Dana.
 
# 18 Vince @ 07/02/09 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
But THQ has controls down,something EA doesn't get. To do a takedown press LT,RB,hold B and do a half circle forward! To dodge hold RT,RB,LB,Y,move the left stick with a half circle away for your fighter to lean back and move the right stick to step back! What fun.
You can't even lean or duck or bob and weave in the UFC gae..
 
# 19 TracerBullet @ 07/02/09 07:35 PM
goh, I can honestly say i've never seen an EA sports game with complicated controls as you try to make them sound. I also don't get the people saying EA is copying THQ. MMA is growing and people should have expected multiple comapnies to get involved. It's like saying that since EA had Fight Night, 2k copied them when they made their boxing game. Hopefully EA makes a great game as well. It's always good to have good competition. Even if they don't have UFC fighters they could still make a good game.
 
# 20 Trevelyan @ 07/03/09 02:43 PM
I think UFC should wait to see if EA is even capable of making an acceptable MMA game before they start threatening people about it. The bar has been set pretty high with undisputed, especially for their first effort, so if EA can top them I'd be seriously impressed, even though I personally hate EA, lol.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.