Madden 2010 News Post

When I first started playing Madden 10, I thought the developers had removed the turbo button. At first, it was a bit of a culture shock to be experiencing this slowed down version of Madden, but I think it will be for the better in the end -- if it's not, there's always a slider to boost the game speed.

Now, I believe the slowed down gameplay will work for Madden because of the QB pocket development, right-stick QB evasion moves and the fact that you will be pushing the pile or doing things like trying to maneuver while within a tackle. If the game was going a hundred miles an hour, I just don't think my brain would have time to process everything going on in this game. In other words, I wouldn't be able to effectively handle some of the new gameplay elements that are at my disposal.

After all, as nice as it is to say that I want Madden to mimic the NFL in every way possible, if the game was moving at the pace of a real NFL game, I would get sacked every single play. As a QB I would never be able to make my reads in time, and I certainly would not be able to find the holes in the offensive line quickly enough when I was using a running back.

But since the game is slowed down a bit, I can feel a pocket develop around my QB as I step up to throw a laser. During a running play, I have a split second longer to look for a hole and cut through it.

Beyond the slowed down gameplay, the next thing I noticed was the passing game. Besides the discussed evasion moves and pocket protection -- which like I said, are quite noticeable -- the inaccuracy of the quarterbacks was another culture shock of sorts. Tarvaris Jackson, not so hot in the accuracy department. Jay Cutler, strong arm but was not always on point with the deep balls. David Garrard, well he simply threw a bad ball to the flats while under pressure.

It's one of those noticeable differences that might make me curse out loud sometimes, but on the other hand, I'm happy it's there because it's a fact of football: quarterbacks are not always accurate.

In general, while it's hard to gauge the gameplay experience in this type of environment -- and I'll never say something overwhelmingly positive or negative after just a bit of hands-on time -- I know I'm excited to play a bit more over the next few days to see what else has changed.

And maybe that's the best compliment I can give the game: It's a yearly sports franchise that essentially feels like a whole new experience. The improved presentation, tweaked gameplay style and fresh technology help to prove the point that a lot has been crammed into this game on the gameplay front, which is not something you could always say about Madden in the past.

Does that mean Madden really nailed it on the gameplay front? It would simply be unfair for me to say one way or the other at this point, but the potential is there.

Online Franchise Mode

I know there are a lot of questions about this mode, so I want to do some quick hitters for this section.

-You cannot trade future draft picks in franchise mode (offline or online).

-There is no cross integration between the new co-op mode and the new online franchise mode.

-Online franchise mode goes for 10 years.

-You cannot import NCAA Football 10 draft classes into online franchise mode. There are only Madden-generated classes available for this mode. A quick note on this, though, Josh Looman (a developer who worked on NFL Head Coach) essentially brought over tweaked draft classes from the Head Coach title. That means that the draft classes should be quite good because they were very solid in NFL Head Coach.

-I'm still trying to hunt down a response to this question (and rest assured I will), but I get the impression that there may not be a salary cap for online franchise mode, at least not at launch. Now, it could be that there just is not a salary cap when it comes to the free agents, but if there is no salary cap, obviously some house rules will need to be created. Stay tuned for updates on this during the course of E3.

-There is always 32 teams in online franchise mode. If you're alone, you will still be competing against 31 AI-controlled teams.

-There is no Extra Point weekly recap show in online franchise.

-Otherwise, it seems like anything you can do in offline franchise mode, you can do in online franchise mode.

-One offline franchise note: Josh Looman pretty much took over offline franchise mode. He tweaked a ton of AI logic within the mode, and also dealt with draft logic and so on. While the franchise mode obviously won't be as in depth as the one found in Head Coach, I would suspect that the experience will at least be more fine-tuned and realistic this year.

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mizzta21 @ 06/03/09 02:17 AM
sounds promising!

# 2 sportzbro @ 06/03/09 02:23 AM
nice read, and quality info man. sucks its only 10 years and no draft classes though.. still will try it out.

# 3 Palo20 @ 06/03/09 02:32 AM
Nice info, couple questions:

1. Can you user control all 32 teams in both online and offline franchise?

2. Can you still play any game in franchise, and do you have to play them in order? IOW, can you play the Monday night game before the Sunday games without them simming?

# 4 droopizzle34 @ 06/03/09 02:32 AM
dang! no import ncaa draft classes! but if its like HC,i hope to find that hidden gem!!

# 5 ChaseB @ 06/03/09 02:35 AM
Looman did say there would be some hidden gems again.

# 6 ChaseB @ 06/03/09 02:39 AM
I'll ask about the user control of all 32 teams tomorrow.

# 7 floridagatorfan @ 06/03/09 02:47 AM
Very good article. This is what I wish whoever wrote the NCAA '10 preview did. That preview stated nothing that had not already been known whereas this gave me something that I didn't already know about with the impressions.

# 8 Candyman5 @ 06/03/09 04:14 AM
Hmm, is there any halftime or end of game shows in Online Franchise mode? I know you said that there is no Extra Point show but I am wondering if there is any other show.

Also is there a spectator mode in Online Franchise?

# 9 steelernation28 @ 06/03/09 06:25 AM
This article mirrors what I feel: Very excited, but hesitate to fall in love with Madden again, just yet. (I need more face-masks and the ability to edit players from other teams in franchise mode!) Just to start.

# 10 Scala @ 06/03/09 07:36 AM
"-You can do an online franchise with just one user. I guess the nice part about doing this is you can check your team online when not around the computer."
Very nice!!!! Where´s my iphone??

# 11 Step2001 @ 06/03/09 07:37 AM
Bummed about NOT being able to trade future draft picks.

This should be in the game! HC was the first EA football game to have it. Madden not having this all this time makes no sense.

What we see on Sunday! What we see the whole NFL Season!!!!!!

Trading Future Draft Picks!
Practice Squads!

Those HC Draft Classes need to be cleaned up. Waaay to many RFA being TOO good. These draft gems need to be hidden. It's all about scouting and finding the player yourself through the use of your scouts.
If not, then why go through the whole scouting process?

It all sounds really good. Just bummed about things missing in Franchise mode.

# 12 K_GUN @ 06/03/09 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Step2001
Bummed about NOT being able to trade future draft picks.

What we see on Sunday! What we see the whole NFL Season!!!!!!

Trading Future Draft Picks!
Practice Squads!

If not, then why go through the whole scouting process?

It all sounds really good. Just bummed about things missing in Franchise mode.

trading future picks is not in ONLINE franchise, right?

i thought 09 had future draft picks

# 13 Step2001 @ 06/03/09 09:54 AM
NFL Head Coach 09 had "trading future draft picks"!

Madden 09 had nadda!

Trading future draft picks did not make it in Madden 10 for either Offline or Online Franchise modes!

CHASE

Ask Looman if he squared away I.R.? If we place a player on I.R. will we get an open roster space with cap relief?
How many player can we place on I.R.?

How many players can we carry on our roster during training camp/pre-season games? 80?
If so, did they adjust the cut down days during training camp? The first one being right after the 3rd pre-season game & the last one right after the final pre-season game.

# 14 PeckinOrder @ 06/03/09 10:28 AM
I am not usually one of those idiots who complain about features. But is it just me or is the fact that Online dynasty and Online Franchise essentially have absolutely no integration at all. I think thats a huge mistake by EA that they didnt allow us to bring over Dynasty Draft classes into Online Franchise thats practically the whole point of doing a dynasty / franchise so that everything can be consistent and realistic for at least the first 4 seasons.

# 15 IrishSalsa @ 06/03/09 10:47 AM
Not being able to trade future draft picks is just dumb. How could they lave this out? Granted, there arent really any trades during the season. But what about during the draft? Are we able to trade on draft day(trade draft picks). Like could I trade my 1st and 2nd round picks, to a team for their 3rd, 4th, and two 5th round picks?

Also, what about the offseason trading?? Most trades in real life almost ALWAYS involve the trading of a draft pick for a player. very very rare that we see player for player only. This could ruin a franchise mode for the longhaul, would be only good to play for maybe 2-5 years, but would get old quick without the ability to gain more draft picks to rebuild ur team. Or lose some for that quick veteran help you need to take ur team to the super bowl the next season. Sounds like a game to rent first, try it, then buy it. Just like FNR4

# 16 PeckinOrder @ 06/03/09 11:18 AM
YOu can trade draft picks, you just cant trade future picks. Like the Jay Cutler deal where they get next years first. In Online Franchise you can trade your 2009 2nd and 3rd rounder for another teams 2009 1st. However you can't trade your 2009 1st, for their 2010 first.

Or at least that is how I am reading it.

# 17 asu666 @ 06/03/09 11:21 AM
"After all, as nice as it is to say that I want Madden to mimic the NFL in every way possible, if the game was moving at the pace of a real NFL game, I would get sacked every single play."

It's my understanding that it does mimic it now. Before things were moving faster than any human could on the field.

# 18 bluprintkok @ 06/03/09 12:44 PM
no import ??? I dont get it, especially since its still in offline....i dont think its technical since the commish could just host the class like he does with the roster in NCAA...very disappointed i just dont get why this isnt in there. Nothing would be better than doing a live draft and knowing every single guy being drafted and someone stealing a guy that you had a connection with for 4 years. Unreal.

# 19 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 06/03/09 12:58 PM
So we can't trade future picks? On draft day, I can't trade my 2nd round pick in the 2010 draft to get a 2nd rounder in the 2011 draft?

# 20 Moegames @ 06/03/09 01:19 PM
Chase...what was your impressions on the overall visuals compared to 09? From screenshots, the players look to have a much more realistic skin texture,color tone, muscle tone,etc..is that what you noticed?

Also the self shadowing added this year..is it noticeable?

Just curious as im a huge graphics whore lol