Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has the details. A MLS video game?

Quote:
"It has been interesting to see just how successful the new franchise here in Seattle has been. When first announced I didnít envision it as something that would become an attraction. But the crowd and excitement for the first game was crazy, all the games have sold out, and word of mouth about the experience has spread. It has been somewhat remarkable to follow the developments."

Member Comments
# 1 spit_bubble @ 04/23/09 03:46 AM
Pasta Padre must not actually be from Seattle... Because he fails to mention is that Seattle fans are probably the most fickle and fair weather fans in the country.

In other words, don't read into the high turnout for the Sounders as some sort of barometer. It's new... So they are interested. If they are winning... They will be interested. If and when they start to lose, however... The fans will move on to something else.

If EA thinks the high fan turnout at Quest Field is some sort of sign of things to come for MLS as a whole, they should probably think again.
 
# 2 EXboxur @ 04/23/09 05:39 AM
All EA needs to do is add DLC for MLS teams and make it part of the ALS. I've said for the last year or so that EA needs to do something about MLS, because as it stands now, the league is completely unplayable. The season is not authentic, the league structure is not accurate, Superliga/CONCACAF Champions League are missing, and after one completed season the game is out of date because the expansion teams are not added the following year.

Maybe add a small fee for the DLC even? I'd pay a couple bucks for a MLS download.
 
# 3 Qb @ 04/23/09 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
All EA needs to do is add DLC for MLS teams... I'd pay a couple bucks for a MLS download.
I'd also pay $5 or $10 for a true representation of MLS in FIFA, but you have to think EA is crunching numbers to see what kind of a profit a full-version game (even priced at $40 or $50) could generate. I think it would be a mistake to make a separate MLS game -- I surely wouldn't buy it -- but they've gone down that road with the Champions League and World Cup games many times over the years...
 
# 4 adembroski @ 04/23/09 04:47 PM
MLS doesn't need it's own game... what it needs is to be set up correctly in the first place. Conferences, playoffs, league-based salaries, international limits, and for god's sake instead of two sets of the same commentary, give me some American commentators. That's really all I ask. Hell, make it a DLC, I'll pay for it!
 
# 5 Matt10 @ 04/23/09 05:28 PM
I'd much rather have KONAMI come out with an MLS game only....just MLS EXTRATIME!! Man that was a fun game. Pretty good representation as well. (When was the last game, other than FIFA 2001, you heard American commentators) :P



 
# 6 mdbussen @ 04/23/09 05:32 PM
Wait Matt are you saying you WANT american commentators??? :O

"Ooooo a smooth PK rollerball into the upper V! Now let's hear Eric Wynalda ramble on for a few minutes to hear himself talk..." :P
 
# 7 fugazi @ 04/23/09 11:53 PM
please, no US commentators.

if EA made and MLS-only game, i expect it to sell 1000 copies, no more.

unless they really really really made a world-beater, which we should by no means expect....

More importantly, the MLS should become a real soccer league and have promotion/relegation and none of this division crap...if they must have a playoff, fine.
 
# 8 ZM Punk @ 04/24/09 02:47 AM
That would not be a good idea.

I wonder if they're are more MLS fans or EPL fans in the US.
 
# 9 Matt10 @ 04/24/09 03:16 AM
Hey, i'm an MLS fan - so the game has to be authentic. US Commentators has to be the route.

I have no problem with Wynalda, he and I think alike. He's a very, very smart analyst to this game. All commentators are there to hear themselves talk - come on now.
 
# 10 mdbussen @ 04/24/09 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Hey, i'm an MLS fan - so the game has to be authentic. US Commentators has to be the route.

I have no problem with Wynalda, he and I think alike. He's a very, very smart analyst to this game. All commentators are there to hear themselves talk - come on now.
Yeah I was being a bit harsh on Wynalda - he's actually gotten a fair bit better over the years as a colorman. I personally prefer the English commentary style though. It interferes less with the flow game as opposed to the US commentators who tend to feel the need to talk over 95% of the match.
 
# 11 Matt10 @ 04/24/09 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbussen
Yeah I was being a bit harsh on Wynalda - he's actually gotten a fair bit better over the years as a colorman. I personally prefer the English commentary style though. It interferes less with the flow game as opposed to the US commentators who tend to feel the need to talk over 95% of the match.
Definitely agree there. I think the big difference with the commentators, and not to go off topic here, is the fact that US commentators are always explaining how to play the game. Whether it be football or soccer...they are always explaining HOW to play the game. While, you get UK commentators and it's all about the passion and the 'assumed' notions of how the game is already played.

I'm not downplaying US commentators, I just think that this is what differentiates the types. I think commentating is a big key to atmosphere. I know when I'm watching an MLS game when I hear the commentators.
 
# 12 Acid @ 04/24/09 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbussen
Wait Matt are you saying you WANT american commentators??? :O

"Ooooo a smooth PK rollerball into the upper V! Now let's hear Eric Wynalda ramble on for a few minutes to hear himself talk..." :P
@ PK rollerball.

A stand-alone MLS game is a terrible idea. I'll just wait for FIFA '10 to get the Sounders and hopefully Adidas Live Season for MLS.
 
# 13 Bruins @ 04/24/09 10:44 PM
As everyone probably knows, I'm a big MLS fan.

That said, a dedicated MLS game from EA would do more harm than good, because it wouldn't sell many copies at all and MLS will obviously be blamed for that.
 
# 14 BrianFifaFan @ 04/24/09 10:59 PM
DLC would be best. It would be nice to see a whole game maybe devoted to maybe the MLS and Mexican League. I'd have fun playing that... But they'd have to re-do the ratings. The American squads get punished unfairly in the ratings.
 
# 15 adembroski @ 04/24/09 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
DLC would be best. It would be nice to see a whole game maybe devoted to maybe the MLS and Mexican League. I'd have fun playing that... But they'd have to re-do the ratings. The American squads get punished unfairly in the ratings.
That they do.

MLS is looked at basically just like the A- or J- leagues, but I'd put it more on par with a third tier European league.

In terms of a product, I'll watch MLS before I'll watch Italian or French soccer. Like watching paint dry.

Basically, I just want the format correct. Whether you like the way MLS does things or not, it should be authentic, and it's a substantial enough league that it should get that consideration.
 
# 16 mdbussen @ 04/25/09 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
In terms of a product, I'll watch MLS before I'll watch Italian or French soccer. Like watching paint dry.
I'll agree with this - French league especially is shockingly dull when you consider how good their national team is (historically, at least ).
 
# 17 BrianFifaFan @ 04/26/09 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
That they do.

MLS is looked at basically just like the A- or J- leagues, but I'd put it more on par with a third tier European league.

In terms of a product, I'll watch MLS before I'll watch Italian or French soccer. Like watching paint dry.

Basically, I just want the format correct. Whether you like the way MLS does things or not, it should be authentic, and it's a substantial enough league that it should get that consideration.
True about authenticity. Now I will agree about the French soccer, it can be boring to watch. I am a fan of Serie A. While I love my Premier League, Serie A seems to have more competition further down the table than EPL. There are more haves than have-nots. If the EPL doesn't be careful, it's going to suffer from so much unbalance that it becomes boring. That's one thing I do love about the MLS, that they have controlled spending where you don't have teams that can just buy talent to the point it's a forgone conclusion who'll win the League. You have the big boys like DC United, New England and Galaxy, but teams like the Crew can afford enough talent or, better yet, actually grow talent enough to compete and just need one WC ringer to put them over the top. It would make for a more fun videogame, as well. Everyone wouldn't pick the same four teams....
 
# 18 Nick65 @ 04/27/09 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I'd much rather have KONAMI come out with an MLS game only....just MLS EXTRATIME!! Man that was a fun game. Pretty good representation as well. (When was the last game, other than FIFA 2001, you heard American commentators) :P




Great post - one of my favorite games of all time. Very addictive game play. Sorry but I had to take out the pic of DC celebrating, especially after yesterdays game

Making a dedicated game for MLS alone would be great (I am a huge MLS fan) however I do not think it would succeed, maybe if they did a version that included North American and South American leagues, basically all of the region. Even then I would have my doubts about is selling well. DLC if priced right might work - I would gladly pay 15 bucks for an authentic MLS gaming experience.

As others said all they have to do is add it into the next version - make it authentic with the playoff format and we would be all set.
 
# 19 Perceptor @ 04/30/09 02:26 PM
I don't think a dedicated MLS game works at all. EA just needs to do a better job getting the league rules, competitions, and nuances right. What good is having authentic leagues and teams when you can't even get the specific league competitions right?? I don't think it's that hard to do. I love FIFA 09 for the gameplay, but if I want authentic rules and competition rules, Football Manager baby
 
# 20 electrickeeper @ 05/02/09 12:44 PM
I miss MLS Extra Time (with Valderrama on the cover IIRC). That was a great game! Being a Columbus Crew ST holder, I would probably buy whatever they put out for the MLS, can't get enough!
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.