Home
UFC 2009 Undisputed News Post

IGN has posted a roster announcement for UFC 2009 Undisputed.

Quote:
"St. Pierre has compiled an impressive 17-2 record in professional MMA competition, including a controversial split decision victory over his opponent at UFC 94, Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn, in March of 2006. Only two men have ever defeated St. Pierre: Future UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, who St. Pierre went on to defeat twice, and former UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra, who went on to knock out a year later."

Game: UFC 2009 UndisputedReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
UFC 2009 Undisputed Videos
Member Comments
# 1 allBthere @ 01/27/09 12:17 PM
I didn't know this:

"should he defeat Penn for a second time, as White has already stated that he'd give St. Pierre an opportunity to face Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and attempt to become the first fighter in the promotion's history to hold titles in two weight classes concurrently"

I hope to hell that happens...

the render is pretty good, but his eyes look brown and he should be less tanned and a bit more cut/ripped.

I wonder when they'll release a demo? They can do it far in advance of release if they want, which is another question.
 
# 2 shorty12345 @ 01/27/09 10:28 PM
Yea i agree St. Pierre is a bit more ripped/cut. I've never seen him out of shape for a fight. Without him in the game would've been a gamekiller for me.
 
# 3 allBthere @ 01/28/09 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
Why? Do you hate GSP?
It's the best possible fight matchup...the best one we could see for an extremely long time.

plus I also believe GSP would win, I don't care what anyone says, I've found him to be more impressive.
 
# 4 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/28/09 10:54 AM
Silva would leave Canada in tears.

I think BJ is going to beat GSP but I'd love to see an Anderson/GSP fight. The destruction would be beautiful. As good as GSP is, Anderson would run through him. GSP hasn't fought an elite striker in his whole career. I know GSP doesn't "make the same mistake twice", but Silva ain't Matt Serra. If the fight happens I guarantee that GSP will get KO'd.
 
# 5 allBthere @ 01/28/09 11:06 AM
you guys type as if you know everything...GSP would be THE BEST FIGHTER SILVA HAS EVER FACED PERIOD.

GSP imo is stronger than Silva, people say he is as strong as some heavyweights.

you guys have no reason to believe Silva would just 'roll right over him'.

What did Silva do against Cote?? GSP is much better than Cote.

The fact tha Sera knocked him down doesn't mean GSP has a glass jaw either, it doesn't really mean anything. He got caught with a haymaker that would have put Silva down too.
 
# 6 Beantown @ 01/28/09 11:26 AM
I don't even care if GSP would get KO'd, which yes he probably would...I would die to see a GSP/Silva fight.

If GSP beats Penn, I think it would be a fight between the two best P4P fighters in the UFC today.
 
# 7 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/28/09 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
you guys type as if you know everything...GSP would be THE BEST FIGHTER SILVA HAS EVER FACED PERIOD.

GSP imo is stronger than Silva, people say he is as strong as some heavyweights.

you guys have no reason to believe Silva would just 'roll right over him'.

What did Silva do against Cote?? GSP is much better than Cote.

The fact tha Sera knocked him down doesn't mean GSP has a glass jaw either, it doesn't really mean anything. He got caught with a haymaker that would have put Silva down too.
We're just stating our opinion like you. I've watched both of these guys fight a ton and I see Silva dropping GSP if they ever fight.

GSP is strong and bullies around most of his division, but Silva is a bigger guy. People tend to underestimate his strength because he's lean, but Silva is far from weak.

As far as Cote goes, I think the better question would be "What did Cote do to Silva?" The answer to that is absolutely nothing. It's been a while since I've seen that fight, but I remember Silva doing a more dancing and playing around than the typically does. I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't have won that fight if it continued, it was only a matter of time.

Anderson is a better striker than GSP. If GSP wants to win this fight his best chance is with ground and pound (which is his best tool imo), but even that wouldn't be easy. Anything is possible in MMA, but if I were a betting man I'd put the house on Silva.
 
# 8 JiggidyJames @ 01/28/09 11:33 AM
Not that I dissagree with Silva being a beast, but how exactly is putting a beating on James Irvin impressive?
 
# 9 allBthere @ 01/28/09 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
So do you...



Some people "say" he's as strong as heavyweights... While Silva has proven he has the knockout power over Light Heavyweights. He gained weight, and went up to a division filled with guys who can put your lights out, and he dominated his opponent.



I'll go with proven over "some people say" any day.

As for Cote... That's because Silva had to gain weight to fight at 205, and then had to drop all that extra weight in 3 months to make 185 again. That kills your body.

The fact is - Silva has power, speed, and is one of the smartest fighters I've ever seen in the ring. He doesn't just rely on being extremely athletic, he uses his brain just as well as they come.

GSP is absolutely amazing. But Silva is a whole other monster.
I don't act like I know everything - I'm not the one who made any predictions beyond I think GSP could win. I didn't say things like he would easily knock his ***-out, or roll over him etc...

are you disputing the fact that GSP would be the best opponent Silva has ever faced?

You said GSP would get Ko'd just like that mediocre LHW - do you think GSP isn't better than IRVIN??? are you really that impressed by him beating someone that will never content for a top 5 position? I thinK GSP could easily dominate a bunch of middleweight scrubs.

Also, don't make excuses for him - dropping 15 pounds in 3 months is not a big deal, I've done that before - I would agree if he was dropping BELOW his natural weight, but he wasn't. moving up in weight would be harder to maintain good cardio/conditioning.

GSP can win this fight...he could get KO'd, sure that possible too, but to say that he couldn't win is beyond rediculous to me. GSP's ring record is more impressive, he's fought tougher opponents and beaten them. And he always avenges losses just like sugar ray robinson did, and dominates.

IF GSP didn't get tko'd by Sera, I'm not sure what the popular P4P discussion would be like - but to me GSP is #1 he's very smart too, and trains just as hard if not harder.
 
# 10 allBthere @ 01/28/09 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Well let's not get into this "I never act like I know things I don't" argument because it's stupid.

I don't know if he is or not. But Franklin, Leben, Henderson, Cote are all great fighters and he's pretty much walked through them.

Top 5 or not doesn't matter. Irvin can knock people the hell out, and he's a decent fighter. He's not someone to just take lightly. What I'm saying is that Silva moved up to a much stronger division and showed he has the power.

15 lbs?



Of course he can win - like I said, anything can happen.

But I really, really doubt that fight would be anything like what people think it would. Silva would hand GSP's *** to him on a platter.
there you go again...

whatever, I hope the fight happens

just to switch gears lets see what's comming up- GSP has to fight extremely tough opponents - first Penn, after that Thiago Alves! has to win both to fight A silva. Alves is on a 7fight win streak and 10 of his 16 wins are by TKO.

Every single fighter GSP has faced since 2004 has a fantastic record (except for Sera who is 9-5)

Silva's upcomming fight is w/ Thales Leites - who is 14-1 and his only loss came against Kampmann who now fights at 170lbs. I'm wondering if GSP pulls off both victories if this will be Silva's next match, or if he'll have another one inbetween and who would that be?

Leites could be a danger for submitting Silva, but I'm not so sure, since his record is a little decieving - he got the shot against silva by defeating a good striker (McFedries) who is only 7-4.

Speaking of Kampmann earlier, I like him, but I think he needs better conditioning training (maybe he's already getting it idk) I think his weight at 170 will probably be better for him, but that's actually another thing I'm not sure the UFC is doing right
 
# 11 LP @ 01/28/09 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere

Also, don't make excuses for him - dropping 15 pounds in 3 months is not a big deal, I've done that before - I would agree if he was dropping BELOW his natural weight, but he wasn't. moving up in weight would be harder to maintain good cardio/conditioning.
Unless you are (and you may be) an elite level fighter, this example means nothing.
 
# 12 allBthere @ 01/28/09 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
Unless you are (and you may be) an elite level fighter, this example means nothing.
I believe that dropping weight only becomes a problem when you go south or below what you reasonably should be in fighting shape. Like Ricky Hatton doesn't have a problem dropping close to 60 pounds! ...it's becaue he doesn't go south of what his body should reasonably be - like Oscar DeLa Hoya did vs packman. Over the course of 3 months dropping close to 20lbs (originally made a bit of typo) is not that crazy for someone who fought his whole career at the lower weight. In fact most of it would be gone after the first month.

now as far as you saying my example means nothing if I'm not an elite level fighter, well that's too bad you feel that way. I hold 2 black belts (got my first at 11yrs) and have done full contact fighting, trained in boxing and muay thai as well as a tiny bit of kung-fu and ju-jitsu, I'm also participate in a few competetive sports and have played w/ my weight over the past year ranging from 205lbs to 169lbs. I think my lived experience 'means' something.
 
# 13 allBthere @ 01/28/09 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
GSP's jaw would shatter against Silva. Cote has better stand up and a better jaw. Rich Franklin would also drop GSP 9 times out of 10. Marquardt also beats GSP most of the time.

Silva would have laughed at that shot Serra hit GSP with.
I don't think it's fair to question someone's jaw on one freak punch...it's the only time i've seen GSP in legit trouble in his whole career.
All your matter-of-fact statements about what this and that guy would do to GSP are bull****.
talkin' out of your ash, it's all very silly especially since gsp's only lost 2wice and his opponents combine win/loss records is probably the best in MMA.
 
# 14 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/28/09 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I don't think it's fair to question someone's jaw on one freak punch...it's the only time i've seen GSP in legit trouble in his whole career.
All your matter-of-fact statements about what this and that guy would do to GSP are bull****.
talkin' out of your ash, it's all very silly especially since gsp's only lost 2wice and his opponents combine win/loss records is probably the best in MMA.
Would you favor GSP in a fight against Silva? If so, why? You seem to be the only person around here who doesn't think Silva would hand him his ***.
 
# 15 allBthere @ 01/28/09 03:47 PM
first I guess I don't put nearly as much weight on gsp's tko loss as the rest of you guys - it doesn't mean he has a glass jaw. Lennox Lewis doesn't have a glass jaw either, nor does jon Fitch, Alves, or Rampage who've all been tko'd (lewis w/ one punch)

second I think GSP can win by any of the 3 methods TKO, Sub, Dec. Tko being the least likely but i still think he'd have a chance.

On the other hand I think it would be nearly impossible for Silva to submit GSP - so that leaves either TKO or decision.

I think GSP has been in way more longer and tougher fights (which build skill and character) and faced by far the better opposition.

Having said all that, as far as strategy, I think Silva's biggest advantage is his height and reach because he throws those beautiful long and straight shots - so how do you get in to strike or take him down, and how do you bang w/ him normally?

I'd like to see GSP throw some lead-leg sidekicks, some with a jab/backfist fake in advance to get more power (silva is open to this at times). This might allow him to land some head shots if he can get silva expecting a kick. This also is needed against silva who is 6'2" while gsp 5'10" (don't know the reach diff).
Another thing Silva does sometimes is cover up and move straight backwards. I think if GSP initiates combos w/ some lateral movement and he can get silva to do this, he can throw some fastballs or take him down.
by the way I think if inside, he could take Silva down almost at will.

Now considering the above, I still think that this is the most closely competetive matchup among the top guys the UFC has ever seen - and yes there are many things Silva can do to expose GSP too.

I however don't see it as an absolute fact that Silva would catch GSP will a KO shot, in fact, I would guess that it would go to a decision most likely. It's a big mistake just to plan on KOing everyone w/ one punch - especially when the majority of the fight could be on the ground.
 
# 16 LP @ 01/28/09 07:46 PM
allBthere,

I hope you didn't interpret my weight comment incorrectly. It wasn't meant to be an ill word towards you. Its just that until you step into the octagon as an elite fighter, against another elite fighter, it is hard to tell what effects dropping weight could have. Everyone's body is different. I'm not saying that it has to be the reason for his performance, but you can't rule it out based on your personal experience.
 
# 17 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/29/09 03:28 PM
I hope there's an option not to have Cecil Peoples judging my fights.
 
# 18 ImReady77 @ 02/01/09 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
first I guess I don't put nearly as much weight on gsp's tko loss as the rest of you guys - it doesn't mean he has a glass jaw. Lennox Lewis doesn't have a glass jaw either, nor does jon Fitch, Alves, or Rampage who've all been tko'd (lewis w/ one punch)

second I think GSP can win by any of the 3 methods TKO, Sub, Dec. Tko being the least likely but i still think he'd have a chance.

On the other hand I think it would be nearly impossible for Silva to submit GSP - so that leaves either TKO or decision.

I think GSP has been in way more longer and tougher fights (which build skill and character) and faced by far the better opposition.

Having said all that, as far as strategy, I think Silva's biggest advantage is his height and reach because he throws those beautiful long and straight shots - so how do you get in to strike or take him down, and how do you bang w/ him normally?

I'd like to see GSP throw some lead-leg sidekicks, some with a jab/backfist fake in advance to get more power (silva is open to this at times). This might allow him to land some head shots if he can get silva expecting a kick. This also is needed against silva who is 6'2" while gsp 5'10" (don't know the reach diff).
Another thing Silva does sometimes is cover up and move straight backwards. I think if GSP initiates combos w/ some lateral movement and he can get silva to do this, he can throw some fastballs or take him down.
by the way I think if inside, he could take Silva down almost at will.

Now considering the above, I still think that this is the most closely competetive matchup among the top guys the UFC has ever seen - and yes there are many things Silva can do to expose GSP too.

I however don't see it as an absolute fact that Silva would catch GSP will a KO shot, in fact, I would guess that it would go to a decision most likely. It's a big mistake just to plan on KOing everyone w/ one punch - especially when the majority of the fight could be on the ground.
How do you figure this? You act like Silva dont have a REAL black belt in bjj. I wouldn't say GSP faced far better opposition either. Silva had a lot of fights in other countries. Silva has more experience. I think Silva would be too strong for GSP. Watch the Rich Franklin and dan Henderson fight again and you will see that Silva is a bully. It would be a good fight though but GSP has to beat BJ Penn first, which might not happen.
 
# 19 Pappy Knuckles @ 02/01/09 02:11 PM
While GSP has some tools on his feet, he's not exactly a dangerous standup fighter. He lacks KO power (which Silva clearly has) and is and worse striker overall. GSP wins all of his fights by overpowering his opponent. This wouldn't be the case against Anderson. Grabbing Silva would lead to a lot more punishment than he's used to. GSP is a smart, capable fighter, but Silva is just as polished. I don't see him getting overwhelmed by anything GSP would bring. Hopefully the fight goes down at some point, but Alves has a good chance of beating GSP as well. We have a lot of good fights to look forward to.
 
# 20 allBthere @ 02/01/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
While GSP has some tools on his feet, he's not exactly a dangerous standup fighter. He lacks KO power (which Silva clearly has) and is and worse striker overall. GSP wins all of his fights by overpowering his opponent. This wouldn't be the case against Anderson. Grabbing Silva would lead to a lot more punishment than he's used to. GSP is a smart, capable fighter, but Silva is just as polished. I don't see him getting overwhelmed by anything GSP would bring. Hopefully the fight goes down at some point, but Alves has a good chance of beating GSP as well. We have a lot of good fights to look forward to.
I agree w/ your Anderson comparison as far as striking, but to say he isn't dangerous standing up is going too far. TKO of Hughes, and dropping Fitch at least 3 times as far as I can remember (who has amazing defense while in trouble, and a great chin).

In the BJ fight last night I wished he would have stood more because he was out-jabbing bj and looked good. I actually think GSP's trainers need to convince him that his striking is better than he thinks because I'm not so sure how much confidence he has in his stand up game, but he is better than he himself thinks imo.

I actually think Alves has a better chance of KOing GSP than Anderson Silva because he forces the issue, where Silva isn't as reckless.

This subject had me a bit bitter a couple days ago since a lot of posters act like I'm not allowed, or justified in thinking GSP is better than Silva - like by making my argument anything other than Silva being p4p best makes my opinion obsolete by default. I'm aware of how good Silva is, and think peope have good reasons for thinking he's the best, but I can't get over why people can't even fathom an opinion other than the popular one about p4p.

Not talking about you directly, but I just think that there is no way GSP isn't in the p4p discussion. He has 2 losses and has avenged both w/ some major 'umpf'. His recent wins over extremely good opposition were totally dominant and he's still getting better, yet some posters like Sven act like he doesn't deserve the accolades he's getting.

The glass jaw theory is a joke to me too, I've seen all of his fights...he's been plastered pretty good before, he just got caught in a weird place by Sera (which has a punch w/ all his might). I say 'glass jaw' when someone gets dropped the way Kimbo did w/ that jab he took...not a heavy, total-body overhand right.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Gsp beats Alves so that we all get to see without question the 2 best fighters go at it.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.