Home
News Post

So today I checked out the game, played it, talked with developers etc. etc.

I won't get into all the details here, but basically I just want to keep you guys in the loop. Tomorrow there will be a preview up on the site, and I also have about 40 minutes of developer interviews that I plan on transcribing -- the voice quality is too bad to just put it up in audio form. I'll be cutting some stuff and all that, but I want to get that up maybe by Friday, but certainly by Monday.

In that interview there will be talk about a lot of stuff, the only notable exception being Franchise mode -- I didn't talk to any franchise people (sorry). But hey, the community folks are going down there next week so you should hear plenty about all that from them.

Also, I'm hesitant to do what I usually do after checking out a game, and that is open up a Q&A thread with you all. I say that because since community folks are going down there next week I don't want to steal their thunder. So what I will do is next week -- once those guys have seen the game -- I'll chime in and answer/comment on questions and so forth, which I think is a good middle ground.

Finally, there will also be a quick interview with Pedroia posted on the site. It's nothing major at all since I always assume you guys want to hear from the devs and hear about gameplay stuff rather than what the athletes have to say (sorry athletes, no offense). So I just had a little fun with him by asking him some random questions.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what is up.

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 89 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 green94 @ 01/21/09 04:14 PM
Please start a Q and A thread. *begs*
 
# 2 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Please start a Q and A thread. *begs*
I'm also hesitant to do it because I played the game for about an hour and a half (played one full game, and two others to the fifth) and I would rather just discuss my impressions and so forth in the preview, since I'm never sure how much help I will be when people ask specific question after specific question.

It's harder with a baseball game than any other I think when it comes to a QA thread because there are just so many nuances, and I know I won't notice every one.
 
# 3 Marino @ 01/21/09 04:17 PM
Chase have I ever told you how much I loved you.

Keep us updated and I can't wait
 
# 4 green94 @ 01/21/09 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I'm also hesitant to do it because I played the game for about an hour and a half (played one full game, and two others to the fifth) and I would rather just discuss my impressions and so forth in the preview, since I'm never sure how much help I will be when people ask specific question after specific question.

It's harder with a baseball game than any other I think when it comes to a QA thread because there are just so many nuances, and I know I won't notice every one.
I GUESS I'll wait for the preview!

Thanks Chase.
 
# 5 JoeCoolMan24 @ 01/21/09 04:18 PM
Could you at least tell us if you noticed a big improvement in fielding with the "hot smashed", better routes, and short routes to 2B with 2 outs?
 
# 6 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Could you at least tell us if you noticed a big improvement in fielding with the "hot smashed", better routes, and short routes to 2B with 2 outs?
It's tough to get a good read on the hot smashes at this point -- they definitely told me they put a lot of work into it, I just didn't see it with my own eyes because I didn't see too many of those instances during my game time. I can definitely say that the throws to 2B for the force out are much better. No more floaters on the force out to 2B that end up costing you an out when I played.
 
# 7 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 04:22 PM
PS, I also think you guys should see plenty of other previews popping up around the Web either late tonight or starting tomorrow because there were plenty of other media folks around. So get ready for an influx of info.
 
# 8 Marino @ 01/21/09 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
PS, I also think you guys should see plenty of other previews popping up around the Web either late tonight or starting tomorrow because there were plenty of other media folks around. So get ready for an influx of info.
Sweet, I knew it was going to be soon but not this soon.
 
# 9 JoeCoolMan24 @ 01/21/09 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
It's tough to get a good read on the hot smashes at this point -- they definitely told me they put a lot of work into it, I just didn't see it with my own eyes because I didn't see too many of those instances during my game time. I can definitely say that the throws to 2B for the force out are much better. No more floaters on the force out to 2B that end up costing you an out when I played.
Thank god. I always tried getting the 3rd out at 2B, an I got screwed over a lot of time. Basically that, and the outfield routes are my favorite thing they have done animation wise for this new game.

Did they give you guys an idea of when the demo comes out, or should we assume Valentine's Day again?
 
# 10 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Thank god. I always tried getting the 3rd out at 2B, an I got screwed over a lot of time. Basically that, and the outfield routes are my favorite thing they have done animation wise for this new game.

Did they give you guys an idea of when the demo comes out, or should we assume Valentine's Day again?
I forgot to ask first-hand, but they did seem like they already had a date in mind from what I overheard. So I would think that's probably a fair guess.
 
# 11 JoeCoolMan24 @ 01/21/09 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I forgot to ask first-hand, but they did seem like they already had a date in mind from what I overheard. So I would think that's probably a fair guess.
Alright cool thanks. This next week or two is going to be great for information. I just hope we see a lot of videos.
 
# 12 countryboy @ 01/21/09 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I forgot to ask first-hand, but they did seem like they already had a date in mind from what I overheard. So I would think that's probably a fair guess.
and with that comment, both Kolbe and Russell's PM box fill up with questions as to when the demo is coming.

Thanks Chase.

And I think its very generous of you not to steal the community guys' thunder. I'm sure they appreciate it.
 
# 13 nemesis04 @ 01/21/09 04:44 PM
Yes that was nice! Thanks for waiting Chase! Oh, do you still want us to take down pastapadre like you mentioned in the podcast?
 
# 14 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Yes that was nice! Thanks for waiting Chase! Oh, do you still want us to take down pastapadre like you mentioned in the podcast?
Beat the piss out of him with a bar of soap securely inside a pillow case.
 
# 15 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Alright cool thanks. This next week or two is going to be great for information. I just hope we see a lot of videos.
I didn't see too many folks taking video feed right from the debug units there, but I still think you will see some media in the coming days/weeks.
 
# 16 AlexBrady @ 01/21/09 05:03 PM
Was the game good fun Chase?
 
# 17 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Was the game good fun Chase?
Obviously.
 
# 18 elTodd @ 01/21/09 05:06 PM
Were the updated stances in the game from what you could tell? What teams did you play as?
 
# 19 nemesis04 @ 01/21/09 05:10 PM
LOL, they are going to pull this Q&A out of you piece by piece!
 
# 20 Russell_SCEA @ 01/21/09 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
LOL, they are going to pull this Q&A out of you piece by piece!

Yes they are lol
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.