Home
News Post

We just received this PR from Sony Computer Entertainment America San Diego.

Quote:
"With the holidays over we would like to take this time and announce our first Community Preview Event for the “MLB The Show” franchise. The event will be held on the 29th and 30th of January. Our Community Day will allow regular consumers of the franchise and members of the community unprecedented access to the development team and the game before its release in March.

There will be six total attendees at the event. These individuals where chosen from the pool of selected Community Leaders months ago. The attendees are mlblover15, jim416, nemesis04, Knight165, Pared, and Pastapadre from the community sites Operation Sports and Pastapadre.com.

The event is a major part of our Community Initiative here at the San Diego Studios.

I’m sure you have many questions about the event and what this all means for you as a member of our community/consumer base. Feel free to ask these questions on the message boards and the Community Manager will be around to answer them."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 89 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Rob_NYY @ 01/06/09 05:50 PM
OLD.
 
# 2 ckarlic @ 01/06/09 09:56 PM
Nice...can't wait to hear some feedback. I kind of envy you guys right now
 
# 3 DubTrey1 @ 01/06/09 11:09 PM
I know we are in good hands with Pared and Jim. Looking forward to the outcome -
 
# 4 JibJab 24 @ 01/07/09 04:53 PM
Should be lots of great info coming from this for you lucky guys. Only downside about getting a early preview, it will make the wait for release a little longer knowing how great a game this is after experiencing it first hand.
 
# 5 Knight165 @ 01/07/09 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
I know we are in good hands with Pared and Jim. Looking forward to the outcome -

Not trustworthy I guess....

M.K.
Knight165
 
# 6 SoxChamp @ 01/07/09 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

Not trustworthy I guess....

M.K.
Knight165
Please. You are my Knight in shining armor, because I know you'll be asking the tough questions about MANAGE ONLY mode!
 
# 7 Knight165 @ 01/07/09 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Please. You are my Knight in shining armor, because I know you'll be asking the tough question about MANAGE ONLY mode!
You got that right!


M.K.
Knight165
 
# 8 Avalon1178 @ 01/07/09 09:14 PM
Awesome! Which I can go to the event since the Sony headquarters is literally on my backyard in Rancho Bernardo.

Something I've been wanting to find out though is why, or how hard is it, for developers to keep the rosters compatible across games? i.e. say I have a franchise season that I started in MLB 08, why can't I continue that same franchise to MLB 09, keeping the same roster intact, same player settings, retaining any records set....across games?
 
# 9 Avalon1178 @ 01/07/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1178
Awesome! Which I can go to the event since the Sony headquarters is literally on my backyard in Rancho Bernardo.

Something I've been wanting to find out though is why, or how hard is it, for developers to keep the rosters compatible across games? i.e. say I have a franchise season that I started in MLB 08, why can't I continue that same franchise to MLB 09, keeping the same roster intact, same player settings, retaining any records set....across games?
sorry I meant "wish I can go" not "which"
 
# 10 Pared @ 01/08/09 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1178
Awesome! Which I can go to the event since the Sony headquarters is literally on my backyard in Rancho Bernardo.

Something I've been wanting to find out though is why, or how hard is it, for developers to keep the rosters compatible across games? i.e. say I have a franchise season that I started in MLB 08, why can't I continue that same franchise to MLB 09, keeping the same roster intact, same player settings, retaining any records set....across games?
Often there are many under the hood changes that make the two incompatible.

If you ever see this in a game... EVER... it means one of two things:

1) The developer spent almost NO time at all working on the franchise engine or player creation portion of the game.

2) Some serious work was done to make the two games compatible, despite the changes that go on from one release to the next.
 
# 11 Avalon1178 @ 01/08/09 03:09 PM
Thanks, but it couldn't hurt to ask them right? As a programmer myself, its a bit puzzling because its just a matter of designing the game such that data and presentation are kept separated and localized. Provided the interfaces between them are kept well-defined, porting a franchise data from one game across the other should be, well....not too bad. The only thing that changes across games is the presentation.

But then again, I don't write code in video games, so I really don't know. I'm just curious But if you guys have access to ask the developer this question, I'm curious to know. Wouldn't it make our lives easier? Especially the wonderful work you've done in setting the correct look and options for the game and player?
 
# 12 Pared @ 01/08/09 03:26 PM
We can ask Sony but that's the same answer I've been told, in a nutshell, from the ones I've interacted with. I'm sure I'll get more of the same.

It's just not feasible, financially. There's no incentive to do it and honestly, if they have to hold back new inclusions to make it work I'd rather them just not even consider it.
 
# 13 SoxChamp @ 01/08/09 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1178
Awesome! Which I can go to the event since the Sony headquarters is literally on my backyard in Rancho Bernardo.

Something I've been wanting to find out though is why, or how hard is it, for developers to keep the rosters compatible across games? i.e. say I have a franchise season that I started in MLB 08, why can't I continue that same franchise to MLB 09, keeping the same roster intact, same player settings, retaining any records set....across games?
This is something I've wanted for years. It would seem possible if they could somehow include an application that converts an old Franchise into the new format. You can import rosters already...why not old Franchise information?

To say that it's not financially feasible makes no sense either. If I knew that I could continue my Franchise for years to come without ever having to start over, then that's all the more reason to run out and buy the new one. It's those that put hundreds of hours into their Franchise that might be the ones hesistant to keep buying the new iteration year after year. Sometimes people just stick with the old if faced with losing all the work they've put into it. I know people still playing 06.
 
# 14 Infinite202 @ 01/08/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
This is something I've wanted for years. It would seem possible if they could somehow include an application that converts an old Franchise into the new format. You can import rosters already...why not old Franchise information?

To say that it's not financially feasible makes no sense either. If I knew that I could continue my Franchise for years to come without ever having to start over, then that's all the more reason to run out and buy the new one. It's those that put hundreds of hours into their Franchise that might be the ones hesistant to keep buying the new iteration year after year. Sometimes people just stick with the old if faced with losing all the work they've put into it. I know people still playing 06.
I completely agree.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.